Hope someone can lend a hand. A few months ago, I noticed that my Android ported apps started running VERY slowly (taking about 3 - 4 minutes each to launch). Prior to this, my experience was just about the same as everyone else (i.e, a first launch would normally take a bit, but then, most launched pretty quickly (15 - 30 seconds max). I did a wipe (twice in fact) and only loaded two apps that I wanted to use on my PB (vs. my Z and Q), namely Words With Friends and Scramble With Friends.

Unfortunately, the wipes did absolutely nothing. The problem persists in that these two apps take 3 - 4 minutes each to launch (livable, but frustrating to set there and wait, and wait and wait. I've tried a few different apk versions of these apps, but they all act identically.

Any ideas?
    11-21-13 12:32 PM
    Turn the unit off, plug the PlayBook to the PC and let Desktop Manger/BlackBerry Link download and install the OS again.

That usually does away with issues for good!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-21-13 12:48 PM
    Turn the unit off, plug the PlayBook to the PC and let Desktop Manger/BlackBerry Link download and install the OS again.

That usually does away with issues for good!
    Thanks. The BS is that I am one of those lucky few where the PC won't communicate with the PB. This has been an ongoing issue, so I've always needed to rely on OTA, WiFi (using the Chrome Playbook Extension) and DDPB (and Sachesi for my phones). Your suggestion is what I wanted to try, but alas, I cannot because of this issue.
    11-21-13 12:55 PM
    It may be that one of those apps is causing the problem. I'd first try deleting both apps, then install an android app from app world that is known to be issue free, Ghost Commander for example. Then see how long it takes that app to load. Then you can reinstall your with friends apps, one at a time, testing each one. It helps if you can narrow down what is causing your issues.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-21-13 02:18 PM
    It may be that one of those apps is causing the problem. I'd first try deleting both apps, then install an android app from app world that is known to be issue free, Ghost Commander for example. Then see how long it takes that app to load. Then you can reinstall your with friends apps, one at a time, testing each one. It helps if you can narrow down what is causing your issues.
    Pacoman03 is correct. You need to find the "offending" app.

The android runtime thing is sketchy at best. I have had limited success, and only have two ports that seem ok Eye-Fi and Phone my PC, all others seem to cause issues, most after a bit of playing/running them. I dumped them.

What OS are you running on your PC? It would be best if you could wipe and reload the OS using DTM, wired. I always do important things wired, not OTA. You might have to reinstall BB DTM, and try another usb port for a different address. Make sure you save all your important things you have on the PB, music, images, docs etc.!!!!!! BEFORE doing anything.

Let us know how it goes.....

c
    11-21-13 03:11 PM
    He is indeed. "Offending apps" happen but hunting them down is like trying to hit a fly with a shotgun.

As for connecting to the PC, remove all BlackBerry software from the PC using Control Panel, run CCleaner to clean the computer and the registry and reboot. Then plug the PlayBook to a differet USB port and let it install the minimum stuff needed for it to connect. Usually works.
    11-21-13 04:21 PM
    Thanks all. So, I was able to reload again via DTM. I'm beginning to suspect something might be hosed that isn't getting reset by a wipe. I loaded Ghost Commander as suggested, and no go. Takes 3 - 4 minutes to launch. The interesting thing is that ALL the ported apps worked okay before. Then whatever happened caused all the ported apps to suddenly take very long to launch. After 3 wipes, there is probably something that the wipe is not "wiping."

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Again, thanks for all your help.
    11-21-13 08:28 PM
    If you haven't done so yet install Advanced App Manager from BB World to see what Android apps are running in the background. Also check to see what the available memory is. Are you using any Android browser?
    11-21-13 11:40 PM