You're right I can't. Other tablets don't need a bridge for browsing or PIM.
    exactly, other tablets either need a seperate data plan (be it 3G built in or a mifi), or a tethering addition. bridge costs nothing.

also the playbook doesnt need a bridge for browsing so your comments just seem unwilling to concede that the bridge browser (not PIM) is actually something innovative.
    06-22-11 10:48 AM
    Ya, I use it all the time with my Torch, and if your thinks it's fast, then you're out to lunch. Do me a favor. Run Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test from your Wi-Fi browser, and compare the results to speedtest.net on the bridge browser.

I'm not saying it isn't fantastic LOL, I saying it's slooow

Here are mine: (Your milage may vary)

Wi-Fi (Ran it 5 times) 24.235.112.50
    Ping 140ms DL 4.49 Mbps UL 1.0 Mbps
    Ping 97ms DL 3.50 Mbps UL 1.0 Mbps
    Ping 173ms DL 3.11 Mbps UL 1.87 Mbps
    Ping 65ms DL 5.98 Mbps UL 2.13 Mbps
    Ping 77ms DL 3.19 Mbps UL 1.54 Mbps

Bridge (Ran it 5 times) 68.171.231.80
    Ping 914ms DL 0.06 Mbps UL 0.07 Mbps
    Ping 875ms DL 0.13 Mbps UL 0.33 Mbps
    Ping 660ms DL 0.25 Mbps UL 0.22 Mbps
    Ping 500ms DL 0.36 Mbps UL 0.23 Mbps
    Ping 876ms DL 0.16 Mbps UL 0.35 Mbps
    Wait, are you comparing a WiFi connection hooked up to broadband to a bridge connection on a blackberry that runs over carrier's wireless network?!

...LOL?
    06-22-11 11:24 AM
    Wait, are you comparing a WiFi connection hooked up to broadband to a bridge connection on a blackberry that runs over carrier's wireless network?!

...LOL?
    He was validating how slow bridge is in comparison since someone made the claim that bridge browsing was fast.
    06-22-11 11:37 AM
    He was validating how slow bridge is in comparison since someone made the claim that bridge browsing was fast.
    maybe his wireless carrier is bad. Doesn't really show much.
    06-22-11 11:53 AM
    Better comparison would be regular browser while tethering vs. bridge browser. My regular browser while tethering is MUCH faster than my bridge browser - which is basically useless.

By the way, I have a 9700 on Tmo and a BES connection.
    06-22-11 11:55 AM
    [QUOTE=czmanmiialenti;6429567]Ya, I use it all the time with my Torch, and if your thinks it's fast, then you're out to lunch. Do me a favor. Run Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test from your Wi-Fi browser, and compare the results to speedtest.net on the bridge browser.

I'm not saying it isn't fantastic LOL, I saying it's slooow

Here are mine: (Your milage may vary)

Wi-Fi (Ran it 5 times) 24.235.112.50
    Ping 140ms DL 4.49 Mbps UL 1.0 Mbps
    Ping 97ms DL 3.50 Mbps UL 1.0 Mbps
    Ping 173ms DL 3.11 Mbps UL 1.87 Mbps
    Ping 65ms DL 5.98 Mbps UL 2.13 Mbps
    Ping 77ms DL 3.19 Mbps UL 1.54 Mbps

Bridge (Ran it 5 times) 68.171.231.80
    Ping 914ms DL 0.06 Mbps UL 0.07 Mbps
    Ping 875ms DL 0.13 Mbps UL 0.33 Mbps
    Ping 660ms DL 0.25 Mbps UL 0.22 Mbps
    Ping 500ms DL 0.36 Mbps UL 0.23 Mbps
    Ping 876ms DL 0.16 Mbps UL 0.35 Mbps[/QUOTE

I see, so when you said the bridge browser was unusable, you meant it wasn't as fast as the wifi speeds achieved by the standard playbook browser.

I think that is where you lost me. The free browser running at 3G speeds, meaning at no additional cost to the owner of said products, being slower than the wifi browser when not in wifi range meant unusable.

While I was waiting for the girlfriend and the youngest to finish at the Dr yesterday I remember thinking how useful I found the bridge browser after their wifi died and the cable guy had been called to do some problem solving. I suppose our definitions of useful and unusable may vary due to temperament and understanding of the actual definitions of the words being used.

I almost forgot...on an unrelated topic and not directed at anyone in particular...the hokies suck.
    06-22-11 12:07 PM
    You all know the speed of the bridge browser is limited by bluetooth right? Bluetooth is the bottleneck and is really slow. The advantage with bridge is not the speed, but browsing without an additional data plan while you do not have wifi coverage, without being charged more for tethering.
    06-22-11 12:19 PM
    Umm, why use the bridge browser if youre connected to WiFi anyway? Seems a little ********! And your numbers are skewed as your BB was on WiFi, not 3g (which as we all know is dirt slow on a BB).

[QUOTE=BBThemes;6429603]
    Bridge with device on wifi (N spec wifi router)
    ping - 23ms
    Down - 0.46Mbps
    Up - 0.30Mbps
    QUOTE]
    06-22-11 12:31 PM
    Umm, why use the bridge browser if youre connected to WiFi anyway? Seems a little ********! And your numbers are skewed as your BB was on WiFi, not 3g (which as we all know is dirt slow on a BB).

Bridge with device on wifi (N spec wifi router)
    ping - 23ms
    Down - 0.46Mbps
    Up - 0.30Mbps
    well sometimes its appropriate, just because you dont feel there may be a need doesnt make it ********. but also note that i clearly stated i dont live in a 3G area, i only have edge
    06-22-11 12:46 PM
    Ok, but if you have WiFi youre surely going to use the regular browser, not the bridge browser?

well sometimes its appropriate, just because you dont feel there may be a need doesnt make it ********. but also note that i clearly stated i dont live in a 3G area, i only have edge
    06-22-11 12:51 PM
    I found the same thing, plus with tethering your 3rd party apps work also. The bridge browser, while a clever way to save money, is so limited in its function as to be useless, No 3rd party apps can get data via the bridge and the bridge browser itself is too slow to be of much use and buggy as all ****.

Better comparison would be regular browser while tethering vs. bridge browser. My regular browser while tethering is MUCH faster than my bridge browser - which is basically useless.

By the way, I have a 9700 on Tmo and a BES connection.
    06-22-11 12:56 PM
    Living in Canada none of the carriers charge tethering fees.

Sorry, but I fail to see how browsing over the bridge (which is tethering) is innovative, but that's me, and it's fine to have differing opinions LOL
    That is simply false. Check your facts.

Also, the bridge browsing is not the same as tethering. Tethering browsing goes through a different APN at your carrier, the bridge browser uses the BIS or the BES, depending on your setup. Bridge Browser on a BES is really useful to access internal company websites for examples. Try that with tethering.
    06-22-11 01:04 PM
    You're absolutely correct. But I can achieve the same results via VPN... but at a much faster speed...
    And what about the latency? You know, the time it takes for you to connect to your VPN, etc... I am not saying the bridge browser is the best thing since sliced bread, just that it has its uses. Checking a quick thing on an internal website will be quicker using the bridge than connecting to a vpn. You don't have to use it if you don't want to you know, but for some people, it is useful.
    06-22-11 01:49 PM
    I guess it just comes down to preference. If i need to check something quickly, i'll use my phone at 3g speed rather than a playbook bridged at 2g speeds.

And what about the latency? You know, the time it takes for you to connect to your VPN, etc... I am not saying the bridge browser is the best thing since sliced bread, just that it has its uses. Checking a quick thing on an internal website will be quicker using the bridge than connecting to a vpn. You don't have to use it if you don't want to you know, but for some people, it is useful.
    06-22-11 02:05 PM
    I'm using Rogers service here in western Canada and they told me the there was a $15 a month fee to add a tethering plan to my Torch service so I could use the Playbook while tethered. They said instead just use the BB Bridge and you can get your data service for the PB using the bluetooth connection with the Torch. My Torch never comes close to my monthly data limit so using the PB over the bridge costs nothing.

Of course when we're at home, it all defaults to the home wifi, but, when we're on the road, my driving companion can surf the web quite handily using the PB's bridge browser. And since we're usually in a 3G coverage area, the speed to access websites over the BB Bridge Browser is really good we've found.

I find all the negativity about the BB bridge and the bridge browser is completely unfounded.
    06-22-11 06:13 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD