Someone just seems heII bent on jumping to the conclusion that the playbook is the culprit, (or RIM for making false claims) rather than going through a systematic troubleshooting procedure, and trying to help the OP solve the problem that not many others of us have...

Without completely eliminating other possibilities this could cause the OP the grief of exchanging it and then ending up with the exact same problem. But that is not what is important here apparently.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 06:27 PM.
    app_Developer and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-03-12 06:24 PM
    Someone just seems heII bent on jumping to the conclusion that the playbook is the culprit, (or RIM for making false claims) rather than going through a systematic troubleshooting procedure, and trying to help the OP solve the problem that not many others of us have...

Without completely eliminating other possibilities this could cause the OP the grief of exchanging it and then ending up with the exact same problem. But that is not what is important here apparently.
    There is a bog standard wireless router (Netgear with no mods like dd-wrt etc) network that is functioning perfectly and has been so for years with a variety of devices.

A new device (lets call it PB for convenience sake) is introduced that does not function on this network.

PB has had many reports of having "special needs" like inability to function on the preferred modern standard 802.11n or being unable to function without using a truncated subset of encryption protocols. Less common but by no means rare "special needs" include the necessity to use a small fraction of the available wireless channels. 1 and 11 are mentioned most often. Other more esoteric changes have been purported to work in some cases.

The network owner is inexperienced with network configuration.
    OP quote:
    "I have a disk for it, I'm afraid to reinstall it or mess with it since I haven't had a problem with it since I've set it up."

With time and effort to change the above parameters and more in a systematic and time consuming manner (change, test, repeat repeat repeat) there is a reasonable chance of getting PB to function on this network. This assumes the network owner is willing to educate himself on the minutia of network configuration or find someone / pay someone to do it for him.

Possible side effects include degraded network performance for *all* devices on the network (eg n to g), decreased network security (WPA2 to WPA or WEP), increased interference from adjacent networks (decreased choice in network channels), unintended configuration errors while manipulating various parameters, peptic ulcers etc

Recall again that the network was functioning perfectly for years. But he is finally swayed by the "expert" opinion of anonymous strangers on an internet forum (accessed of course by a device that can actually get on his network) that he should "give the device a chance to work".

Anyway, after much googling and tweaking, a bit of cursing and a six pack of Pepto Bismol over a weekend or 2 the PB works! The network is much slower than before (g vs n), vulnerable to drive-by hacks (WEP vs WPA) and seems to have lost considerable range (his neighbour uses channel 11 too), but PB (the "professional grade tablet") works!

Then a horrible realisation dawns. He remembers that the main attraction of this device was how easily it slips into his coat pocket. Internet everywhere! Well at least anywhere there is a wifi network....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Last edited by Interloper.; 01-03-12 at 10:46 PM.
    01-03-12 10:39 PM
    Wow man when I said heII bent I wasn't exaggerating. The first suggestion was to simply try a router at a different location - you were opposed to that one as well. How long did it take you to write this tl:dr?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-03-12 at 11:31 PM.
    01-03-12 11:21 PM
    Wow man when I said heII bent I wasn't exaggerating. The first suggestion was to simply try a router at a different location - you were opposed to that one as well. How long did it take you to write this tl:dr?
    Oh BJ, you truly are the gift that keeps on giving. I am really smiling right now. Look up, but not too far. Just one post above my last post. You know, the one i just responded to.
    Was this you?:
    "Without completely eliminating other possibilities this could cause the OP the grief of exchanging it and then ending up with the exact same problem. But that is not what is important here apparently."

As far as the response time, I didn't time it for you. Sorry. Estimate 5 minutes but time flies when you are having fun.
    It's especially precious to hear the unintended irony of your response time question.
    *3800* posts since June?
    01-03-12 11:45 PM
    Hey stranger. Nice to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Can't comment, cause I've never had wi-fi problems. Just stopped by to say hello.

Just picked up a d-link travel router for a trip to Mexico in two wks. Set it up at home and the pb and my new bold connected no problem. WPA2. Ole!

Take care buddy.
    01-03-12 11:57 PM
    I'll go off topic here for a sec, for the good of the thread.
    Oh BJ, you truly are the gift that keeps on giving. I am really smiling right now. Look up, but not too far. Just one post above my last post. You know, the one i just responded to.
    Was this you?:
    "Without completely eliminating other possibilities this could cause the OP the grief of exchanging it and then ending up with the exact same problem. But that is not what is important here apparently."

As far as the response time, I didn't time it for you. Sorry. Estimate 5 minutes but time flies when you are having fun.
    It's especially precious to hear the unintended irony of your response time question.
    *3800* posts since June?
    The OP was asking for our suggestions, so you might want to start there, by giving him useful suggestions on what he can do. Quoting other members (who are actually trying to help the OP) then addressing them with inflammatory responses and writing up elaborate stories while periodically making inflammatory off topic responses to Blackjack, doesn't exactly help the OP or contribute anything productive to the thread.

Lets get back on topic and give the OP suggestions like he asked for.

I have had my Playbook for 3 days now. I am ready to return it and give up. I have tried many times to update it using WIFI, and the playbook says the update is successful, however, I get online and the browser won't work with any website for more than a few minutes. Youtube will not load most of the time. Sometimes it will immediately load a video other times it stalls and the loading freezes. I talked to tech support for 40 minutes and tried to update using my computer which doesn't finish completely. It gets to the end and then says it couldn't establish a connection. I did a security wipe and tried again to update using my computer more than once. I'm not sure if there is a problem with my router.... I've read many topics about it. I tried at books a million and browsing there was just as inconsistent as at home with my WIFI. I've read tons of posts about what to do and feel overwhelmed. I
    think I'm ready to just return the playbook. It seems like more trouble than its worth. I've read so many good reviews, I hate to return it and give up if I just got a faulty device. But if its going to be this much trouble connecting to wifi in a different environment I guess I'd rather just get a different brand of tablet. Any suggestions??
    I can understand this must be very frustrating for you, but I think it would be a shame to just default to a refund without giving a replacement a try. I would suggest sending it in for a replacement first. It's possible the wireless card in your Playbook is defective and a swap could very well fix your problems.
    Last edited by Megacharge; 01-04-12 at 12:47 AM.
    alnamvet68 and joelephants1 like this.
    01-04-12 12:36 AM
    Hey stranger. Nice to see you're still fighting the good fight.

Can't comment, cause I've never had wi-fi problems. Just stopped by to say hello.

Just picked up a d-link travel router for a trip to Mexico in two wks. Set it up at home and the pb and my new bold connected no problem. WPA2. Ole!

Take care buddy.
    frfghtr!!! Where ya been my man? Thought you fell off a cliff. Don't be a stranger!
    01-04-12 12:47 AM
    frfghtr!!! Where ya been my man? Thought you fell off a cliff. Don't be a stranger!
    Been around buddy, waiting for OS2. Just keeping busy, watching our NHL Jets, a bit of lurking and other stuff.

Take care and stay safe my friend.
    01-04-12 12:53 AM
    I got it to work at my friend's house pretty well, but I'm still iffy about keeping it. I don't want to fight getting online everywhere I go. I am going to try some different settings a little more at home, and tomorrow I think I will get a replacement if one is available just to test. I really want to keep it because when it does work it is awesome. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I agree with Interloper about how it shouldn't be this much trouble to use a piece of technology. I really don't want to change my wifi settings just to satisfy one device when it works fine for 3 computers, a WII, PS3, nook, and Samsung moment phone. I've had absolutely zero issues with WIFI here until the playbook issues. The WIFI issues are mostly just with the browser. I tried installing Simple Browser (it was the first one I found on Appworld) it seemed about the same. I am wondering if installing the 2.0 beta or whatever would help with wifi issues?? Would installing it be a benefit to me, or do people end up going back to the last real update?
    01-04-12 01:01 AM
    Been around buddy, waiting for OS2. Just keeping busy, watching our NHL Jets, a bit of lurking and other stuff.

Take care and stay safe my friend.
    I suppose that's the safe way...I'm just hanging around trying to make sure everyone makes it there alive.....until Feb.
    01-04-12 01:04 AM
    also the WIFI at my friend's house (where the browser has worked the best) was set to WPA2. mine is WEP. the browser worked the same at office depot and books a million as it did at my house which was not well
    01-04-12 01:07 AM
    I got it to work at my friend's house pretty well, but I'm still iffy about keeping it. I don't want to fight getting online everywhere I go. I am going to try some different settings a little more at home, and tomorrow I think I will get a replacement if one is available just to test. I really want to keep it because when it does work it is awesome. Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I agree with Interloper about how it shouldn't be this much trouble to use a piece of technology. I really don't want to change my wifi settings just to satisfy one device when it works fine for 3 computers, a WII, PS3, nook, and Samsung moment phone. I've had absolutely zero issues with WIFI here until the playbook issues. The WIFI issues are mostly just with the browser. I tried installing Simple Browser (it was the first one I found on Appworld) it seemed about the same. I am wondering if installing the 2.0 beta or whatever would help with wifi issues?? Would installing it be a benefit to me, or do people end up going back to the last real update?
    Your call - good luck. I wouldn't bother with OS 2 if you don't want to bother with any more headaches. It wont improve your wifi situation. Did you ever try a different location? Still a fight?
    joelephants1 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:07 AM
    tried 3 locations. my friend's house was best so far. office depot's and books a million's didn't work well.
    01-04-12 01:11 AM
    I have actually encountered a similar problem as you - NetGear router and everything. I have tried connecting to different routers and the issue with the browser crashing - during video streams - persists. The YouTube app was even worse; crashed on the 1st video almost always.

Rebooting was the only way to fix this problem; allow me to use the Browser / YouTube app once again.

Could it be a PB with a malfunctioning CPU?
    joelephants1 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:25 AM
    The Issue I was having, similar to your's, is with 2.0.0.6149.

Update your PB at your own risk!
    joelephants1 likes this.
    01-04-12 01:27 AM
    Four days of great advice and posts. and OP still has issues... sad to say the least.
    Call Support, and if they can not help you, get a refund. Your time is running out.

The PB has a one year warranty,and only a 90 day free Tech support.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]

Good Luck!
    joelephants1 likes this.
    01-04-12 02:19 AM
    i still have over a week for a refund. I've decided not to update, it was just a thought. I'm going to try a different unit in the morning. If that doesn't work I will just return it. I can't afford something that costs $200 that is awesome, but can't work right for me. Maybe buy it again if issues are resolved.
    01-04-12 02:27 AM
    I would suggest you just return it and stay with the products your are more familiar with, and that work on your router.

You have to take into account that most routers are set to work on the more 'common' OS's to sell their product to a larger consumer base.
    That being said, the QNX OS on the Playbook gives SOME customers more issues with the wifi.

The posters here tried very hard to let you know of the known problems with routers, and the cure.

As I said... Good Luck with what ever you decide.
    01-04-12 02:48 AM
    One last thought. First, use the three key reboot (volume +,volume -,power button) then turn it on amd go to the WiFi set up (use the gear in the upper right corner) and use the connect manually and WPS options. I have a relatively new Netgear router using WEP and no problems but don't recall if I have n disabled.
    01-04-12 02:59 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD