I have had my Playbook for 3 days now. I am ready to return it and give up. I have tried many times to update it using WIFI, and the playbook says the update is successful, however, I get online and the browser won't work with any website for more than a few minutes. Youtube will not load most of the time. Sometimes it will immediately load a video other times it stalls and the loading freezes. I talked to tech support for 40 minutes and tried to update using my computer which doesn't finish completely. It gets to the end and then says it couldn't establish a connection. I did a security wipe and tried again to update using my computer more than once. I'm not sure if there is a problem with my router.... I've read many topics about it. I tried at books a million and browsing there was just as inconsistent as at home with my WIFI. I've read tons of posts about what to do and feel overwhelmed. I think I'm ready to just return the playbook. It seems like more trouble than its worth. I've read so many good reviews, I hate to return it and give up if I just got a faulty device. But if its going to be this much trouble connecting to wifi in a different environment I guess I'd rather just get a different brand of tablet. Any suggestions??
    Last edited by joelephants1; 01-01-12 at 08:15 PM. Reason: reword
    01-01-12 08:11 PM
    Maybe try and get it replaced?
    01-01-12 08:13 PM
    Based on what you've described, I don't see why you'd blame the PlayBook yet when you seem to be saying your PC has the same problems with the network. You tried updating using your computer (I assume, with Desktop Manager) and it said it couldn't establish a connection? How is that the PlayBook's fault? Maybe you just need to sort out your network problems before trying to do anything.

Or did I misunderstand what you were writing there? Does your PC actually have a flawless network connection? In that case, I don't see why the update would have failed with that message.
    01-01-12 08:14 PM
    I don't have any problems using the internet with my computer. Only when I try to update the playbook using the Desktop Manager. Everything is fine right until the end of the update. I'm just not understanding why it is so much trouble to get this to work right. I've used my router at home with my cell phone, nook, and other computers with no problems.
    01-01-12 08:18 PM
    sounds like an issue somewhere. i've had a few issues with wifi, it does seam the playbook is a bit picky somehow. what type of router do you have? what security settings are u using? i have herd a few people say that the palybook doesnt work well with a router using the automatic security setup (what the is it called again).

i would suggest doing a security wipe, then try an update at another location with wifi. nothing public and slow but at a friends place, with a different brand of router.

i say dont rush out and return it, when you get it sorted out its very cool indeed.

on a side note. my playbook is starting to buldge out at the back just slightly, right at the logo where the cpu is located. RIM is sending me a box to return it in as we speak/type. but, this has also had an effect on my wireless signal. i run a web server on my comp to stream audio/video to my BB and PB and as soon as it started to swell up at the back the wifi started to slow down. i used to click a movie on my home server and the playbook would start playing it within seconds. now if it plays it takes a minute or so and i get a warning that the media is loading too slow and might not be playable.

so, i say try a few things, if it doesnt fix it i say you just might have a faulty unit. replace if it is but give the playbook its fair chance. its amazing.

if you need help, just ask. im a tech for a living.
    01-01-12 08:36 PM
    I would say get it exchanged. I've set up multiple Playbooks for my friends and none of them have any problems. You might've just gotten one that was crappy.
    01-01-12 08:47 PM
    thanks so much! i will try once more at another WIFI location. I believe its going to be super cool if I can get it to work.
    01-01-12 09:51 PM
    I agree - I get entirely different results from entirely different wifi locations. They are all set up differently - spend some time in here researching and learning how to setup your router. - search the forum for wifi or router for wifi router or something.

Never give up on your playbook at least until thoroughly researching your problem. - from what I have seen in here - it is most often not to blame.

People return them out of frustration - but that is how Crackberry serves us well - to alleviate frustration. A large data base of people with similar experience, and a lot of helpful people.

I've even bought returned playbooks that people clearly returned as non functional, but with a little applied intelligence have been returned to functional operation.

Please report back if you have luck and good luck!
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-02-12 at 02:16 AM.
    CanadianThomas and TgeekB like this.
    01-01-12 10:05 PM
    try this...i had success with it. Change you Band Type in your network setting from Dual to 2.4 Ghz.
    01-01-12 10:13 PM
    when all singing and dancing out of the box (as with mine) it is great but i do sympatize with all you out there who face issues. Sometimes solutions work sometimes they don't and imagine you have just bought your new precious and can't get it to work not even after numerous tries. Gadgets can be great if they work straight out of the box which is why i always buy known brands.
    01-01-12 10:50 PM
    try this...i had success with it. Change you Band Type in your network setting from Dual to 2.4 Ghz.
    I'd agree that some change in the ROUTER's settings might help. Many have found that disabling the N "standard" and only using b/g has helped.
    01-01-12 10:55 PM
    I'm not even sure how to edit my router's settings. I've had it set up for a couple of years and have never had to touch it since. Its Netgear. I have a disk for it, I'm afraid to reinstall it or mess with it since I haven't had a problem with it since I've set it up. I'm going to try a little more. I did change the setting on the playbook from dual to 2.4 to match my router. Not sure about editing the actual router settings. Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone. I will take any help I can get.
    01-02-12 12:32 AM
    I agree F2! How am I supposed to bring this ultra portable device places and use it? I can't spend all this time changing settings and figuring things out, it needs to be easier than this.
    01-02-12 12:53 AM
    I agree F2! How am I supposed to bring this ultra portable device places and use it? I can't spend all this time changing settings and figuring things out, it needs to be easier than this.
    You've tried other devices on this router. Now have you tried this PB with other routers?

Also, have the other devices that work on this router been 802.11n devices?
    01-02-12 01:04 AM
    When I bought my PlayBook back in May '11, I was shocked to find out that I couldn't start it up right out of the box. You see, I live out in the country and had been relying on "dial up" internet and email. Slow, slow, slow. Didn't have any high speed internet because we weren't serviced. So, I jumped back in to the truck and headed for town and looked for a coffee shop with high speed internet. By the time I was half way through my coffee, I had my PlayBook up and running and it hasn't left my side yet. Great device. I now have high speed internet at home via satellite (very expensive), but my PlayBook is bridged to my Bold 9780 most of the time.

Maybe "joelephants1" just needs to try a different source for his high speed internet. Don't bother changing settings on his PlayBook or on his router.
    01-02-12 01:37 AM
    It's a first step to identify the culprit. If you don't narrow down the problem. If you don't eliminate your router as the problem source then you might go to the trouble of getting a new playbook and still be faced with the same issue.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-02-12 02:14 AM
    You've tried other devices on this router. Now have you tried this PB with other routers?

Also, have the other devices that work on this router been 802.11n devices?
    Why are you stressing the N in 802.11n? Are you implying that the Playbook should not work on 802.11g or 802.11b networks? Or conversely that it should not work on 802.11n? According to RIM the PlayBook is compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n.

BlackBerry - PlayBook Features Lighting Fast QNX Powered 7 Inch Tablet
    Check the "View Details" link

"Blackberry PlayBook with Wi-fi 802.11a/b/g/n"
    Last edited by Interloper.; 01-02-12 at 03:32 AM.
    01-02-12 03:27 AM
    I'm not even sure how to edit my router's settings. I've had it set up for a couple of years and have never had to touch it since. Its Netgear. I have a disk for it, I'm afraid to reinstall it or mess with it since I haven't had a problem with it since I've set it up. I'm going to try a little more. I did change the setting on the playbook from dual to 2.4 to match my router. Not sure about editing the actual router settings. Thanks for all the suggestions though everyone. I will take any help I can get.
    I havent had any issues connecting my PlayBook unless I'm out of range of the router/access point but I read somewhere that people have been having issues connecting new wifi devices to older routers. I had a similar frustrating experience with an HP Touchpad. All my wifi devices (laptops, iPhone, and PlayBook) connected to my older router (one that required a nightly re-boot) but the Touchpad would connect for a minute or 2 and then disconnect. The only way to get it to work was to toggle the wifi connection or toggle airplane mode. Not ideal. My internet provider sent me a new router (due to the nightly re-booting issue) and all my devices now work great, including the Touchpad. BTW I've also had issues connecting my iPhone4 to a friend's new Motorolla Comcast router (it works everywhere else, and that router worked for an iMac).

If you want to check your router settings without digging out the disk, just connect to the router using your browser and the router's IP address. Check out these instructions:
    Secure Your Wireless Network: WPA/WPA2 (Recommended))

I would leave the PlayBook at the "dual" setting.

If you can rule out your router, it's probably time to get RIM to send you a replacement.
    01-02-12 04:36 AM
    I'm thinking that there will be some fixes coming out shortly for the playbook...
    ...I've had some bugs with mine as well.

Youtube videos always start but often freeze partway through...
    ...I've got an ipad so I've done tests on the same video at the same time - it's the playbook.

The PDF viewer is terrible, on most PDF's that I enlarge there ends up being these large white squares - it's like the playbook couldn't render that part of it. Also the playbook is UNABLE to open pdf's from an archive site like the ipad can - what gives with that?

The battery on the playbook is poor compared to the ipad.

Aside from those things I have really enjoyed my playbook and think they did many things right on it - it's size and quality of screen not to mention it plays at least some FLASH.

The bridge feature works VERY WELL and all RIM needs to do is fix some of the things that are obviously wrong with the Playbook ( think most of them are software related ). RIM really needs to stop messing it's bed with not having popular things like netflix or hulu and GOOGLE MAPS on their tablet - people like those things and MANY people buy because a tablet will support those things.

If you paid 199.00 for your playbook I would keep it - I'm sure RIM will address some of the things you have mentioned and I'm certain they will address the things I did.
    01-02-12 04:54 AM
    What people are faced with in setting up the Playbook the first time is a relatively large download. Most often it is the super cheap home network equipment that let's you down. Your device connects to the network OK through wifi then 50 MB into the download it stops. This is MOST likely your cheap home network router and wifi. If your Playbook is having trouble with its large initial download try downloading a file of similar size with another wifi device. It most likely won't work either.
    01-02-12 09:30 AM
    What people are faced with in setting up the Playbook the first time is a relatively large download. Most often it is the super cheap home network equipment that let's you down. Your device connects to the network OK through wifi then 50 MB into the download it stops. This is MOST likely your cheap home network router and wifi. If your Playbook is having trouble with its large initial download try downloading a file of similar size with another wifi device. It most likely won't work either.
    *Sigh*
    Did you even bother to read the thread before responding to it?

A quote from the original poster:
    "I've used my router at home with my cell phone, nook, and other computers with no problems."
    I think it's safe to assume that he has successfully downloaded large files in the past. Especially if you consider the length of time he has been using this router with *no problems*.
    Another OP quote:
    "I've had it (the router) *****set up for a couple of years and have never had to touch it since*****."

It's not his router. If it were his:
    -cell phone
    -Nook
    -other computers
    wouldn't be working **on this network with no problems for years**!

I could run you through the formal logic chain to the obvious conclusion, but I'm late for lunch.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Interloper.; 01-03-12 at 04:24 PM. Reason: speeling
    01-03-12 03:52 PM
    The most frequent causes of failure on large downloads are (a) ISP restrictions and failures (often traffic shaping), and (b) timeouts due to traffic load on the source server or network congestion. Local router issues are a very distant last place, and almost always associated with other failures needing a reboot or re-authentication with the ISP.
    01-03-12 05:11 PM
    Why are you stressing the N in 802.11n? Are you implying that the Playbook should not work on 802.11g or 802.11b networks? Or conversely that it should not work on 802.11n? According to RIM the PlayBook is compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n.
    just trying to figure out what is different. He said all his other devices work on this router, so I'm wondering if any of those were "n". Maybe his router has some problem with n.

Yeah, our Playbooks work fine on our n network, (but only at 2.4GHz for some reason)
    01-03-12 05:26 PM
    just trying to figure out what is different. He said all his other devices work on this router, so I'm wondering if any of those were "n". Maybe his router has some problem with n.

Yeah, our Playbooks work fine on our n network, (but only at 2.4GHz for some reason)
    Well, a quick Google shows the Nook to be 802.11b/g/n. Even without that info, the Playbook is clearly advertised as an 802.11a/b/g/n device. All those standards should work or RIM should change its spec sheet.
    01-03-12 06:07 PM
    Well, a quick Google shows the Nook to be 802.11b/g/n. Even without that info, the Playbook is clearly advertised as an 802.11a/b/g/n device. All those standards should work or RIM should change its spec sheet.
    I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with the PB at all. I think you're misunderstanding me.

I'm just trying to help solve a problem by putting as many clues together as possible. That's why I asked.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 01-03-12 at 10:42 PM.
    01-03-12 06:11 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD