I have Playbook for many years and use it frequently. In the past, I have been able to map it to my (Windows) PC and then transfer files between Playbook and PC

However, I have just tried to map my Playbook to PC but discover that, since I have recently re-installed Windows 10 (Fall Creator - 1709), a file that is required to do this, SMB1 protocol, is obsolete and no longer available on my PC

I believe it can be downloaded but I'm not sure this is safe to do.

Can anyone help/advise me how to map the Playbook to Windows 10 (1709) please? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
    03-01-18 10:45 AM
    I suspect the number of folks using a PlayBook in 2018 and trying to connect it via WiFi and using the latest version of Windows 10... pretty small.

Is it safe... no, that's why they removed it. But the odds of it being utilized are probable small.... and you could always uninstall this feature after you transferred the files.

You can follow this to enable it https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windows-server
    03-01-18 11:00 AM
    I have Playbook for many years and use it frequently. In the past, I have been able to map it to my (Windows) PC and then transfer files between Playbook and PC

However, I have just tried to map my Playbook to PC but discover that, since I have recently re-installed Windows 10 (Fall Creator - 1709), a file that is required to do this, SMB1 protocol, is obsolete and no longer available on my PC

I believe it can be downloaded but I'm not sure this is safe to do.

Can anyone help/advise me how to map the Playbook to Windows 10 (1709) please? Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks
    If you can't/don't want to get it working with the SMB1 fix, I can send you the PlayBook .bar file for Dukto which is a wifi transfer app that works well between Windows (including win10) and the PlayBook. It also works with nearly every other platform out there. You would need to send me an email address in PM.
    03-01-18 11:23 AM
    Hi Dunt x3

Thank you very much for your post. Interestingly enough, I've been looking at that web page, having found @GrouchySue's post, here https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb.../#post13143268, just a few mins ago.

Even looking for other posts re not being able to map to Win 10, I didn't see that post, hence posted myself.

So, I was in the process of turning on the file in Control Panel when the notification re your post came in.

Thanks very much for your help. It certainly gave me the confidence to try this and, yes, it's worked. Once I've transfered the files I want on the Playbook, I can disable the SMB1 file again. I don't need to transfer files very often so it won't be too tedious having to enable/disable at the times I want to use the feature.

Many many thanks for your help. I've made an attempt to 'tag' GrouchySue but I'm not sure how to do this on here, so it's probable it won't work. I'd just like to give her some acknowledgement too
    03-01-18 11:24 AM
    Hi Brookie229

Many thanks for your post too

Yes, I have seen 'Dukto' mentioned and it does sound as if this could be a better solution than enabling/disabling the SMB1 file.

I have installed .bar files in the past but that was many years ago and so I have forgotten. I'll have to check up (Google ) and any Bookmarks I should still have so I have directions.

Presumably, Dukto is a 'safer' method to use, rather than SMB1 on/off, do you think? Yes, if I may, I'll send you an email address by PM. Many thanks
    03-01-18 11:38 AM