Hello,

I apologize in advance if this has been previously posted, however I could not find a thread detailing the same issues I am experiencing with the WIFI.

My Playbook has been plagued with WIFI issues since the 2.1.0.1088 update. It is driving me crazy, the native applications cycle through disconnects frequently, I would say every few minutes it disconnects for 10 - 20 seconds. The third party Dolphin HD browser works through the disconnects, but the native browser and app world do not connect. I prefer the native browser, but it has become unusable. My router is a Ericsson W35 with Rogers firmware.

I opened a ticket with Blackberry to at least give them the opportunity to provide feedback or a fix, after a month of waiting they just issued a bulletin; KB33273-"Unknown network error: "Failure when receiving data from the peer."" randomly occurs while browsing on the BlackBerry PlayBook which only acknowledges the problem, provides no real work around (besides repeatedly pressing retry) or closing the browser and they are not even providing a time frame for a fix! I sent them detailed logs of the router and PB, spent time on calls and emails and they just sent a canned response linking to the knowledge base bulletin.

I have tried deleting all other networks, different WIFI channels and router configuration, security settings, WIFI mode and even completely reinstalled the PB OS. Nothing worked, still same problem and frequency of disconnects. I am trying to have my unit returned under warranty, but since I waited this long for a response it might not be covered. This is very frustrating, has anyone else successfully fixed this issue?

Ryan
    Last edited by RFrancoeur; 12-18-12 at 12:14 PM.
    12-18-12 11:48 AM
    Try a friends house or a coffee shop... do you still have the problem?

Too be honest, I've given up trying to stream anything to my PlayBook. Browsing works OK, but it seems as if ever 20seconds the WIFI tries to "reconnects" (spinning green circle) and this really shows up when you try to stream a movie or tv show.
    12-18-12 12:04 PM
    Do the wifi logs on the PB indicate anything unusual?
    12-18-12 12:19 PM
    I sent the wifi logs directly through the Playbook. They said that there were issues with the logs, and the WIFI router logs showed the following;

Nov 21 21:51:06 (none) daemon.info dnsmasq[3173]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.17 00:1b:ea:c6:c9:65
    Nov 21 21:51:06 (none) daemon.info dnsmasq[3173]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.17 00:1b:ea:c6:c9:65 Wii
    Nov 21 21:51:16 (none) daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 00:1b:ea:c6:c9:65 IEEE 802.11: deassociated
    Nov 21 21:54:53 (none) daemon.info wuid_log[2828]: 1 session ids removed due to timeout
    Nov 21 21:54:53 (none) daemon.info wuid_log[2828]: 1 session ids removed due to timeout
    Nov 21 21:54:58 (none) daemon.info wuid_log[2828]: doc text/link not set
    Nov 21 21:55:01 (none) daemon.info wuid_log[2828]: doc text/link not set
    12-18-12 12:23 PM
    That little "spinning green circle" sounds like perhaps your wi-fi is set to "available networks" instead of "saved network".Try "saved network" in "select a network" and that "spinning green circle" will/should be gone.
    Try a friends house or a coffee shop... do you still have the problem?

Too be honest, I've given up trying to stream anything to my PlayBook. Browsing works OK, but it seems as if ever 20seconds the WIFI tries to "reconnects" (spinning green circle) and this really shows up when you try to stream a movie or tv show.
    12-18-12 12:25 PM
    I am still troubleshooting this issue, and even replaced my router and manually setup the connection using different DNS servers. Still experiencing the same problems. I used the tablet on a Bell network over the holidays and it was much better, but any other device in my home works well onthe Rogers network.

I just spoke with technical support and they still have no resolution, and actually hung up on me when I tried to return the two Playbooks I own. They are out of warranty (I think) but it was their own update that caused these issues, older OS's worked fine. They said there is no way to load an older OS once the update is installed. This was the first BB product I've owned and this hasn't been a good experience.
    12-28-12 11:11 AM
    Hello All,
    I just thought I would post a follow up to update this post. The latest firmware update (2.1.0.1526) did not resolve the issue, however occurrences seem to be less frequent. With the previous firmware it seemed to get progressively worse, up to the point that using the stock browser was so frustrating that I had to use Dolphin. I cannot understand why any native app or service is affected but Dolphin is not. Blackberry said the issue would be resolved with the next update but they failed to follow through. Even after purchasing a new wireless dual band router and changing DNS servers I still have the problem. I wish they would push through the BB10 update to see if it fixes things, I'd like to buy a new phone but I'm afraid it wouldn't function properly on my home network.
    02-19-13 10:57 AM
    Do the wifi logs on the PB indicate anything unusual?
    Where can i see this logs? I've encounter problems with PB trying the get a lease from DNSMasq from DDWRT. I would like to check logs
    02-27-13 12:33 PM
    Settings/wifi/wifi symbol with the question mark at bottom left/ drop down menu/logs
    02-27-13 12:42 PM
    Make sure JavaScript and Flash are enbaled under the browser settings and that should clear it up as i had them disbaled and always got this error lots.
    02-27-13 03:05 PM
    I usually get that when accessing a wifi on an http proxy.

I just remove the s from https and then it works fine for me
    02-27-13 05:34 PM
    I'm having a problem now where my pb doesn't see my router. All my other devices see it. I've rebooted but so far no luck.
    Ok I learned something new. All my devices had no problem seeing my router except the pb. I changed the name of my router and removed the - and now my pb sees it just fine. I had no idea.
    Last edited by KennethD; 02-27-13 at 06:43 PM.
    02-27-13 05:38 PM
    I'm having a problem now where my pb doesn't see my router. All my other devices see it. I've rebooted but so far no luck.
    Ok I learned something new. All my devices had no problem seeing my router except the pb. I changed the name of my router and removed the - and now my pb sees it just fine. I had no idea.
    Maybe a bit more explanation - where did you change the name of the router? In the pb's wifi saved connections?
    02-27-13 07:42 PM
    Maybe a bit more explanation - where did you change the name of the router? In the pb's wifi saved connections?
    Oh sorry I changed the name (ssid) of the actual router. I had installed a new router and it included a - everything recognized it fine except the bb pb oh and the bb phone didn't see it either. That's what made me think the - in the router name (ssid) was the issue.
    KermEd and FF22 like this.
    02-27-13 08:39 PM
    I just posted on another thread on this issue, but thought I would update this one. I'm still experiencing the problem (and still trying to fix it) but now I'm convinced it is the browser. I've sideloaded the AIRBrowser (not the file explorer) which is essentially a .bar file of the stock browser to see if it experiences the problems. While it seems to be less frequent, it still disconnects; however what I find interesting is that the two broswers (which are supposed to be the same) disconnect at different times. This leads me to believe that coding of the browser is the issue and no amount of troubleshooting on the network side of things will resolve the problem.

As a TOTAL bandaid fix I've just rearranged the icons on my tablet to use the third party browsers and relegated the stock browser to a folder until it is fixed. Shame on you Blackberry for not resolving this issue, there are many people experiencing the same problem and it was supposed to be fixed with the last update. I've got better things to do than providing all the logs and symptoms, and spend hours with technical support only to have the issue left unresolved.
    03-07-13 08:28 AM
    Hi;
    Would you be good enough to explain how to do this fix, I'm kind of new to this game. Thanks much.
    Al
    Last edited by Alfred Clements; 05-12-13 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling error
    05-12-13 10:48 AM