The OP is under no obligation to change his home network settings for one odd-man-out device. It's 2012, there's no reason to go down that road. My advice is to exchange it or return it for a refund. No more apologies are needed for the PlayBook.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-17-12 07:05 PM
    Yep, switch to just G setting, will solve it, over a year and the playbook still sucks hard with N.
    06-17-12 07:30 PM
    The OP is under no obligation to change his home network settings for one odd-man-out device. It's 2012, there's no reason to go down that road. My advice is to exchange it or return it for a refund. No more apologies are needed for the PlayBook.
    Well unless he wants to return it for good or get another tablet or wait for RIM to fix N settings, he'll HAVE to change it, fact. Truth sucks.
    06-17-12 07:31 PM
    Kinda idiotic to run a router in Draft N only mode.... just sayin...........
    06-17-12 10:40 PM
    sorry pal, did mean to reply. changing the router for a to b to g or n .. is not something i have any clue about. If the router works with everything else, then it stays the way it is my friend.
    I didn't ask you to change anything, pal. I asked you for your router and settings. If you were running in N only, I would tell you that is most likely the problem, and you could either change it, or return your Playbook, or throw it in the garbage, or do whatever you want. If you are running G/N, then there might be another problem or even just a faulty Playbook. It's called diagnosing a problem. I thought you were posting because you wanted answers, but now I see that you are not, so never mind.
    06-18-12 04:30 AM
    I didn't ask you to change anything, pal. I asked you for your router and settings. If you were running in N only, I would tell you that is most likely the problem, and you could either change it, or return your Playbook, or throw it in the garbage, or do whatever you want. If you are running G/N, then there might be another problem or even just a faulty Playbook. It's called diagnosing a problem. I thought you were posting because you wanted answers, but now I see that you are not, so never mind.
    Running G AND N he will still have the problem, he has to change it to just G.
    06-18-12 02:32 PM
    I will have to say that to some extent I agree with the dissatisfaction with the setup. While the device really is wifi dependent for most of its useful functions (browser, appworld, etc), there should be a way to setup the darn thing up without having to rely on wifi initially. This is a consumer product and not an insider's InfoSystem gadget. Some folks don't know anything about wifi setups and probably shouldn't have to.

I hope rim comes up with a new initialization scheme for BB10.

Now that does not mean that there are the occasional "bad" device that might have problems out-of-the-box but it should be simpler. But then again, I can see in a few years, folks also won't have desktop computers either and so I have no idea what will be required to update/initialize/etc at that point.
    I totally agree and I have posted in other forums, that between my iPad2, Xoom and PB, the PB is the highest 'maintenance' of the 3. It seems like the PB will only work in a certain way and wants to dictate what settings you should use and that everything else should adapt to it's liking, while iPad and Xoom will probably work with anything. Maybe it is for security purposes, but is sucks from a consumer perspective. The OP is a perfect example of what RIM does not need - another consumer who will just badmouth the PB based on his frustrated setup experience.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-18-12 at 03:05 PM.
    06-18-12 03:03 PM
    My pb works fine with my router set at mixed and connecting to either g or n. I think it's the older routers with draft n.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    06-18-12 03:15 PM
    My pb works fine with my router set at mixed and connecting to either g or n. I think it's the older routers with draft n.
    +1 I have dual band routers set at mixed and my PBs connect fine at g or n bands. Also have older single and dual band routers at work and other places that work g or n, but the only one I ever really had a problem with was an older D-Link draft N router. If the OP wants to post router model and settings here it might not be that difficult to troubleshoot and fix.
    06-18-12 05:39 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD