Got a playbook today, had the old os on it and it wants to update to OS 2... not a problem.. BUT it does not want to stay connected to the wifi during the update???? My ipad 2 connects, stays connected and never disconnects. Two laptops connect, stay connected and never disconnect.. iphones... others.. list goes on.... so why the feck is this playbook wanting to be special? I love the look and feel, and the reviews where positive, so I am majorly disappointment.

What made me boil over and just want to toss it in the bin was the tech support. They had no clue how to fix the problem. Confidence is RIM is badly knocked for me.

Can anyone here help me to get this playbook to work/install the os 2 with out disconnecting? Once it disconnects it wont reconnect until I reset my wifi router.

Please help me. I am due to send it back on Monday, but I want it to work.
    06-16-12 05:34 PM
    Turn off and make sure it is off by taking it in a dark room. Hold the power button for at least 20 seconds. Install desktop manager from BlackBerry and after installed open it and while open plug the pb in while off, choose update/repair. It will load the newest OS but will need to connect to wifi for the setup after that.

If it still doesn't connect try changing your router to g only.
    06-16-12 05:41 PM
    so once i install the desktop software, connect it via usb it will fix my problem?? can i not install os 2 through my pc via usb cable?
    06-16-12 05:52 PM
    Yes usb dm will install the newest OS but when the pb restarts you need wifi to do the setup, choose country, bb id etc
    06-16-12 05:59 PM
    No, there really is no way to load the OS through the usb other than using the Desktop manager app and that only loads the initial portion with completion requiring wifi. Can you hit a wifi cafe/library/etc to try there. As suggested try limiting your router initially to NOT use the N standard/mode
    06-16-12 06:00 PM
    well it shows up on the desktop manager software but wont let me do anything to it.. when the playbook powers up.. it says unable to connect to a network.. i cant get to the desktop on the playbook.. only get that message then a list of routers to choose from, and wont connect to any of them...
    06-16-12 06:07 PM
    The pb has to be off when plugging into the computer with desktop manager open.
    06-16-12 06:09 PM
    well i have it connected to my pc and it has now magically connected to my wifi router and installing...... wait for it... wait for it.....
    06-16-12 06:11 PM
    and there we go again.. disconnects... whyyyyyy
    Last edited by bcroninuk; 06-16-12 at 06:45 PM.
    06-16-12 06:12 PM
    Causing me wayyyy too much grief. Do I have a faulty one or is this a common problem....
    Last edited by bcroninuk; 06-16-12 at 06:51 PM.
    06-16-12 06:43 PM
    I had similar problems, though not until after the updates. I had a draft n router and the pb does not like that. I changed it to b/g and things were ok. It stays connected now, no more disconnects.
    06-16-12 08:09 PM
    Causing me wayyyy too much grief. Do I have a faulty one or is this a common problem....
    Dude seriously keep the playbook off. Open desktop manager. Plug the usb into your pc. Keep the playbook off. Plug usb into playbook. After it connect a warning will come on up pc. Keep the playbook off. Hit update. Keep the playbook off. Let it load. Takes 20 or so mins. Problem solved
    Talon88 likes this.
    06-16-12 08:36 PM
    Ahhhhh... finally... that warning did turn up this time (must be you).. it is running and hope it works.. Thank you very much
    06-17-12 05:02 AM
    If I run N only on my access point, it will not stay conected and when it disconnects, I need to either restart my Playbook or my access point to connect again. G needs to be enabled on my access point. My laptop, and even my Blackberry handset, have no trouble with it set to N only. Sad, but true.
    This issue has existed for me through all OS iterations, right up to my current 2.1 dev beta.
    Last edited by jhimmel; 06-17-12 at 05:48 AM.
    06-17-12 05:46 AM
    wellllll... its done all that ok.. but now when i go to start the inital set up, the agreement page.. THERE IS NO COUNTRIES LISTED IN THE MENU.. then after 20 attempts it turns up.. wait for my next post.. I bet it will be about loosing connections.... stand by
    Last edited by bcroninuk; 06-17-12 at 05:52 AM.
    06-17-12 05:50 AM
    No Countries listed is because of your wifi problem. It needs to be connected for that part. What is your router, and what is it set to?
    06-17-12 05:53 AM
    surprise surprise... what you recon my problem with the playbook is now...WHAT A SURPRISE... internet disconnected... I am just going to say it, sorry if it upsets you playbook fans... this is the worst computer related product I have ever owned/used. I may be unlucky to get a bad one? But when there are countless pages on a google search for problems with the playbook, I am safe to say RIM are just digging themselves deeper into trouble.

Took me 2 minutes to get my ipad 2 up and running and I am on this playbook for 2 days... end of story, good night, but thanks for all your help!
    06-17-12 06:12 AM
    Is there some reason you chose not to answer my questions? Was trying to help you.
    06-17-12 06:17 AM
    I will have to say that to some extent I agree with the dissatisfaction with the setup. While the device really is wifi dependent for most of its useful functions (browser, appworld, etc), there should be a way to setup the darn thing up without having to rely on wifi initially. This is a consumer product and not an insider's InfoSystem gadget. Some folks don't know anything about wifi setups and probably shouldn't have to.

I hope rim comes up with a new initialization scheme for BB10.

Now that does not mean that there are the occasional "bad" device that might have problems out-of-the-box but it should be simpler. But then again, I can see in a few years, folks also won't have desktop computers either and so I have no idea what will be required to update/initialize/etc at that point.
    bcroninuk likes this.
    06-17-12 08:58 AM
    Is there some reason you chose not to answer my questions? Was trying to help you.
    sorry pal, did mean to reply. changing the router for a to b to g or n .. is not something i have any clue about. If the router works with everything else, then it stays the way it is my friend.
    06-17-12 09:59 AM
    sorry pal, did mean to reply. changing the router for a to b to g or n .. is not something i have any clue about. If the router works with everything else, then it stays the way it is my friend.
    Some routers are dual band. You can use G & N. I have a G only router and have never had an issue with my WIFI connection.

It's not difficult to change those settings and if you provide you brand and model someone here can help you.
    06-17-12 10:08 AM
    I will have to say that to some extent I agree with the dissatisfaction with the setup. While the device really is wifi dependent for most of its useful functions (browser, appworld, etc), there should be a way to setup the darn thing up without having to rely on wifi initially. This is a consumer product and not an insider's InfoSystem gadget. Some folks don't know anything about wifi setups and probably shouldn't have to.

I hope rim comes up with a new initialization scheme for BB10.

Now that does not mean that there are the occasional "bad" device that might have problems out-of-the-box but it should be simpler. But then again, I can see in a few years, folks also won't have desktop computers either and so I have no idea what will be required to update/initialize/etc at that point.
    It keeps the dingle berries from forming.

Say they let you get past the setup stage without WIFI. You still wouldn't be able to use it without updating the latest OS. Security is my guess.
    06-17-12 10:18 AM
    Yeah, unfortunately I agree with your decision to not muck up your network, and F2 is perfectly on point. RIM has slipped with the last 2.x update, and wifi has been very unstable ever since. Hopefully they will listen and fix this soon.

I absolutely never start making changes to my network to support a new device, since it creates more issues than solutions. And, I know what I am doing. Downgrade my network to "G", that will be day.

For the average user it should just work. I know why they love their IPad's -- Anyone can make it work.
    06-17-12 02:03 PM
    ".know why they love their IPad's -- Anyone can make it work. ..'

And if don't work they are broke !
    06-17-12 02:58 PM
    Yeah, unfortunately I agree with your decision to not muck up your network, and F2 is perfectly on point. RIM has slipped with the last 2.x update, and wifi has been very unstable ever since. Hopefully they will listen and fix this soon.

I absolutely never start making changes to my network to support a new device, since it creates more issues than solutions. And, I know what I am doing. Downgrade my network to "G", that will be day.

For the average user it should just work. I know why they love their IPad's -- Anyone can make it work.
    I had a pronter that wouldn't work on my network. Should I have kept buying and returning printers until one worked? If you KNOW what your doing, adding G isn't a big deal.
    I have never had an issue with my network or any open network I have connected to.

You have some choices. Bang your head against the wall, return it or try to solve the problem.
    06-17-12 04:25 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD