Good Morning folks, I bought a playbook last week and have noticed that wi-fi is a little bit spotty. I've gone and upgraded my router but still aren't getting full coverage around my home.

Is this something that can be fixed with an update? or should I go ahead and take my device back while I can ( i lost the receipt btw). I remember a couple of blackberries I had in the past that had bad wi-fi coverage until an update or two came out. Is this the case for the playbook or should I take it back?

Thanks.
    04-25-11 05:33 AM
    This is now the third report of poor WiFi with the PlayBook. At least 3 is what I know of.

It seems that some PlayBooks either don't like some routers or ar just not working right.

Can you try to connect to another (different) router? I ask this to try to learn if the problem lies with your PlayBook or if there is a router incompatability.

You may find that you need to return your PlayBook and get a replacement. However I am just not sure where the problem lies right now or, even if there is a problem.
    04-25-11 05:54 AM
    After reading about wi-fi troubles yesterday I went out to the end of my slightly less than average size backyard to test and it was still all bars reception (lost the bridge though). Perhaps it may be a router thing. I remember I tried all kinds of things for my ipod touch and even exchanged it. I had no success until I switched routers
    I should add that my dsl is kind of crappy anyway from all pcs and devices. But after the PB update wifi was much better
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Last edited by mom21; 04-25-11 at 06:12 AM.
    04-25-11 06:08 AM
    In my case it seems to be more of a wifi problem then anything else. I have two wifi options right now. My first option is my other smartphone that I can turn into a wifi hotspot where the download and upload speeds are average 3g speeds. You tube videos plays ok, a hiccup here any there, they just take a little time to load up. With my home wifi network I'm getting amazing speednet.com test results and it shows up wherever I'm streaming any videos on the PB. Instant video loading with great playback.
    Im guessing but I think its safe to say if your getting at least 2Mb/s download speedtest.net scores you should have flawless flash videos.

You can also try putting router in central local around your housae and making sure theirs a clear area from your router to the PB. Most home routers or only from zero to around fourty feet max.

04-25-11 06:09 AM
    but if my iphone 4 or blackberry torch can pick up signals all around the house..even outside..shouldn't the playbook be able to also? i'm thinking about hitting u McDonalds for breakfast and seeing if it works in there..if it doesn't i'm gonna take it back during lunch.
    alan510 and darktoy like this.
    04-25-11 06:19 AM
    I picked up my Playbook on Friday afternoon and the only problem I had this weekend is that my Playbook dropped the WiFi connection twice. Other than that the signal has been fine.
    04-25-11 06:21 AM
    I'm having grief with my wifi too. Not sure if its router, pb hardware, pb software. Got a 64gb running on my linksys WRT54GL v1.1 G router @ 2.4ghz. Using WPA personal, DHCP is assigned by this router.

I've got -20dBm on the pb beside the router, and -50dbm about 20ft away from the router down a straight hallway and -75dbm in my bedroom about 70ft away. This translates into 2 bars on the playbook. My thinkpad gets "very good" signal in my bedroom.

Last night I was browsing the net before going to bed and it dropped the connection. I have been checking the signal strength every 5min or so just to see. Was getting -75 to -80dbm while holding it in the same area. When it dropped the connection I couldn't get it back. Authentication timeouts and can't get an ip address. Tried a hard reset and deleting the profiles and re adding it. Weird was the signal strength showed as -40dbm before it was connected. It never connected so I went to bed. This morning it wouldn't connect until I walked closer to the router.

So I don't know what it is, going to try a exchange of the pb. I have reset my router, power cycled, latest firmware. I don't know about anymore advanced settings but my thinkpad, itouch and 9000 all seem to work where my playbook doesn't.

Absolutely love the device, just don't want to be stuck with bad hardware. I can wait for software updates.

04-25-11 08:18 AM
    I'm travelling with my PB for the first time today. At the American terminal in Tampa the WiFi reception was abyssimal, I had to revert to using my phone. I,m at the Miami terminal right now and am getting 3 out of 4 bars.
    there are Playbooks on display at one of the stores here (all sold out but 2 on line) and I checked their WiFi connection - it's the same reception as my unit.
    I do feel the PB WiFi reception should be better though.
    04-25-11 08:23 AM
    so far I've had no problems with the wifi on mine. Its worked great at my office and my house.
    04-25-11 08:23 AM
    same here. strange
    04-25-11 08:30 AM
    so far I've had no problems with the wifi on mine. Its worked great at my office and my house.
    Do you have full bars all the time? How far can you get from your router? Any ideas on router type?

04-25-11 08:30 AM
    I hope it's a software issue..I remember my blackberry bold 9000 not having a good wi-fi until they came out with some updates.
    04-25-11 08:40 AM
    I hope it's a software issue..I remember my blackberry bold 9000 not having a good wi-fi until they came out with some updates.
    My power button is sticking out and works, does that mean its my router and not the pb

04-25-11 08:44 AM
    wifi is great for me off a lynksis, from the yard and basement. I think its better than my laptop definetly.
    04-25-11 08:54 AM
    I'm having issues too. At work I can pick up another company on a different floor but can't pick up mine that's in the next room. My torch picks up both... Very strange...
    04-25-11 08:56 AM
    @berrydeck:
    How are u checking you dbm status?

04-25-11 09:02 AM
    The PB's WiFi radio isn't that good. I've tested this in my house. I noticed an issue when my PB was losing connection in my bedroom (it's on the third floor, router is on first). My girlfriend's MacBook and iPad2 (and my BlackBerry and iPhone) all get at least 3 bars of connection. My PB was getting 1-2 and would cut out.

I set up several scenarios to see what could be done to up the connection, but it's the PB.
    jeremyn likes this.
    04-25-11 09:03 AM
    Wifi on my PB works great at work - no lost connection, no signal drops, but at home the story is different. I get full bars, but every now and then for no apparent reason the connection drops, and I have to manually reconnect to Wifi. I've read others reporting something similar here.

The thing is, my iPod touch has the exact same issue, which only appeared after updating to latest iOS: works at work but drops every now and then at home (and, unlike PB, it sucks the battery dry once it drops the Wifi - literally an hour or so, and it's dead).

I guess it must be a combination of both software and router: PB (and iPod, for that matter) like some routers but are spotty with others (I have dlink WRT 1310).
    04-25-11 09:05 AM
    @berrydeck:
    How are u checking you dbm status?

go into the options, select the wifi, and in there on the main screen there is a wifi icon with a ? (question mark). its in the bottom middle of the screen in the grey section. that will bring up a new screen and with a drop down, select "wifi information" and you can see the signal strength.
    04-25-11 09:18 AM
    For all of those with consistent wifi connections, will you please post what type of router you are using? Mine is a linksys wrt54gs v.3, firmware 4.71.4, and I get very frequent disconnects with my pb.
    Last edited by beandoc; 04-25-11 at 09:35 AM.
    04-25-11 09:21 AM
    For all of those with consistent wifi connections, will you please post what type of router you are using? Mine is a linksys wrt54gs, and I get very frequent disconnects with my pb.

This is my setup, this gives me issues. Linksys WRT54GL v1.1, 2.4ghz, WPA Personal TKIP.
    04-25-11 09:25 AM
    i've been connected since last tuesday at my house. then today at ahotel, and at toyota, full bars, no issues. i have a 64gb and a linksys router connected through wpa personal
    04-25-11 09:27 AM
    I'm having grief with my wifi too. Not sure if its router, pb hardware, pb software. Got a 64gb running on my linksys WRT54GL v1.1 G router @ 2.4ghz. Using WPA personal, DHCP is assigned by this router.

I've got -20dBm on the pb beside the router, and -50dbm about 20ft away from the router down a straight hallway and -75dbm in my bedroom about 70ft away. This translates into 2 bars on the playbook. My thinkpad gets "very good" signal in my bedroom.

Last night I was browsing the net before going to bed and it dropped the connection. I have been checking the signal strength every 5min or so just to see. Was getting -75 to -80dbm while holding it in the same area. When it dropped the connection I couldn't get it back. Authentication timeouts and can't get an ip address. Tried a hard reset and deleting the profiles and re adding it. Weird was the signal strength showed as -40dbm before it was connected. It never connected so I went to bed. This morning it wouldn't connect until I walked closer to the router.

So I don't know what it is, going to try a exchange of the pb. I have reset my router, power cycled, latest firmware. I don't know about anymore advanced settings but my thinkpad, itouch and 9000 all seem to work where my playbook doesn't.

Absolutely love the device, just don't want to be stuck with bad hardware. I can wait for software updates.

Your Router is notoriously horrible.

I ditched mine and a bunch of other peoples.

I would try a D-link wireless n router.

I'm a system admin/ network admin.I was having issues with my Wireless Router being in a corner of my basement.. (Ipad, Iphone, Playbook) so I moved it to the main floor.. It works perfectly now.

THe linksys at my Parents House (same model as you) Wouldn't even let the playbook hit the internet.. HAd to wifi tether to my iphone.
    04-25-11 09:37 AM
    For all of those with consistent wifi connections, will you please post what type of router you are using? Mine is a linksys wrt54gs v.3, firmware 4.71.4, and I get very frequent disconnects with my pb.
    Any d-link wireless n router or Net Gear.

Linksys has gone down the tubes in my experience.. I've had nothing but problems with them and I don't give up easily.. But I tossed Mine in the garbage and haven't looked back.
    04-25-11 09:41 AM
    Your Router is notoriously horrible.

I ditched mine and a bunch of other peoples.

I would try a D-link wireless n router.

I'm a system admin/ network admin.I was having issues with my Wireless Router being in a corner of my basement.. (Ipad, Iphone, Playbook) so I moved it to the main floor.. It works perfectly now.

THe linksys at my Parents House (same model as you) Wouldn't even let the playbook hit the internet.. HAd to wifi tether to my iphone.
    guess its time for an upgrade...
    04-25-11 10:38 AM
125 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD