After spending a substantial amount of time over the holiday weekend trying to get the OS to properly reload, I've given up on the thing...I think I got the thing into a usable state about 3 times, but each time, I still experienced the Black Screen of Death issue randomly, and the security wipe + DM 'debrick' process was ridiculously painful, leading me to believe there is definitely something wrong with the hardware...(I can't imagine after the number of security wipes and 'debrick' processes I've attempted that any software issue could still be remaining in/on the device, unless it's inherent in the OS itself - in which case, I would expect to see a lot more of these issues elsewhere...)

So, what are my next steps? I've sent an email to RIM, and received a response saying they couldn't process my request, and basically directing me to their support site. Since I'm outside of the 90-day period (purchased my unit on launch day), can I still call their support, or will I get the run around?

I can't remember if I bought the extended warranty and/or the buy-back plan from Best Buy, so that may be an option (need to dig up the receipt, since it wasn't in the original packaging where I normally put such paperwork)...
    11-28-11 09:48 AM
    Unless the Mile High City is not within the following range (Rockies range is), there is a ONE YEAR warranty. There is the 90 day FREE tech support issue - so I guess they could throw that in your way as they will probably want to check that you've really done all of the debricking properly.

So what does happen? You debrick. Then what? Are you restoring a backup that may be corrupted? Installing some odd app? Or just using a nicely cleaned up, fresh as new pb?

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]

(oh, and the obligatory - are you being paid by Apple, Google, IBM, HP, MacDonolds, Kentucky Frieds, Jack-in ...)
    11-28-11 10:50 AM
    yeah, I'm fully expecting the 1yr warranty to be in effect here, I just don't know how to get RIM on the phone without them trying to charge me for support, lol...

So, it all started with this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...k-date-668023/
    To which, I planned on performing the OS reload as a means of troubleshooting, but hadn't gotten to it.

Then RIM released 1.0.8, and the update would never complete: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...update-672762/

Literally, no less than 2 dozen attempts to reload the OS via DM/debrick and/or security wipe, and I've only been successful 3 times.

When it fails via DM, I get a message saying there was a problem updating the PlayBook and to try again...when it fails via the security wipe, the OS will never fully load (stuck at the animated splash screen after the restart), or it only recovers to a partial OS (missing icons).
    Probably about a dozen times, I got the thing to reload, only to find out that the device needed to download/update a 33mb 1.0.8 file, which ultimately failed and resulted in me having to force-restart the device and start all over again.

Annoying, to say the least...and like I said, when I was successful, I didn't even reload any apps before the BSoD would show it's ugly face (a few times it would do it WHILE downloading/updating the device...)

I have no intention of giving up on the PB, I still think it's the best tablet out there for my needs/requirements...I just want one that won't go 'black' on me while I'm reading, or watching a video, or just switching between apps/tasks.
    11-28-11 11:51 AM
    think warranty is 1 year? I like their tech support, its quite fast, not too much waiting time
    11-28-11 12:03 PM
    I had the same issue wih my Playbook and the support was very good, had the do the usual OS reload etc, but once had established that they would replace the PB, I had the new one within 5 working days, took 3 days to recieve box to return old unit in, has new unit in 2 days, so am very impressed. Just loaded OS2 tonight and now have Kindle app, so am more then happy. I hope you resolve your problems, do give the support a try they are pretty good
    11-28-11 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD