Let me start by saying first that I love BlackBerry. I am not saying anything bad about either product here. I owned a Storm I, and had it for a while. Its not like I jumped right on the Storm II when it came out. In fact, I didn't upgrade to the Storm II until the screen finnally crapped out on the first one. I was at Staples as soon as it opened on April 19th for the PB as well. So this is just more random thoughts then a gripe about either product.

I am just wondering if anybody feels that the PB is going to go the way of the Storm. They are both awesome products. A little ahead of their time maybe some would say. But both are held behind for whatever reason.

The Storm started out so promising. Updates, a lot of apps, and then all of a sudden, nothing. Storm II is awesome. I still carry it around proudly. I just bought it a brand new OtterBox case so it wouldn't feel left out seeing as how the PB got one. I'm just nervous that RIM is going to let the PB die out as the storm did. There's not even plans of reupping the Storm in a version III with the same name.

I think the Playbook is an incredible device. The size, the portability, the screen, multitasking, speed, video, and much much more. Even with an OB case on it, the PB is still manageable. A few friends of mine have the OB for the ipad 2......holy Britannica Batman! I don't understand how they carry it around. There's a guy at the local bar who tries to eat his dinner and surf the web as well with just a leather case on his iPad. The PB is a bit easier to handle. Sad part its, even with the OB case, its still slides in my jacket pocket.

So that is a bit of my rant. More of a plead to RIM maybe? Let PB live!
    05-24-11 09:47 AM
    The problem isn't the potential of the PlayBook. The device has great potential, but potential and $2.00 will only get you a bag of chips. The problem is the concern that the PlayBook was released too soon because RIM was under pressure and was reacting to other devices already available.

But that's the kicker... RIM appears to have reacted to devices already available, but failed to deliver at least the same features as those devices. Sure, people argue that the original iPhone was missing apps, and cut and paste, etc. But that was then. The landscape now is hugely different than it was back then. RIM knows this, as do consumers, and yet they still put out a product that is missing way, way too much at launch.

There are arguments that updates will come. I hope so. But are they going to arrive too late to matter? As you said, there were updates to the Storm, but eventually everything fizzled out, and RIM's response to the issues with the Storm was to release the Storm 2. Let's just hope that the PlayBook doesn't meet the same fate.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 05-24-11 at 10:09 AM.
    05-24-11 10:07 AM
    I am just wondering if anybody feels that the PB is going to go the way of the Storm.
    Hopefully not.

Where as the Storm was one of many bb's there is only one tablet.

While there was no excuse to abandon support for the Storm, maybe their decision was based because of the alternatives they had.

Playoook has no competition within Rim. Either they support it or drop it all together and get out of the tablet business.

I'm still using my Storm 1. Maybe I'm just a sucker for flawed products. Only time will tell.
    05-24-11 10:11 AM
    With the Storm I, I believe it was both hardware and software. With the PB, it seems to me that it is mostly just software issues. Bugs, things not being active, etc. I hope they don't fix it with a PB II. The ease of updating is a huge bonus. I mean how many times does your Windows PC update. Sometimes with out you even noticing it. There is no reason that PB couldn't do that.
    raremage likes this.
    05-24-11 10:12 AM
    I highly doubt the PB is going to be like the Storm. It has amazing potential and it's going to be shown eventually. Give it time and, I believe, the PB will be a huge success. I agree it was released too soon, but they needed to get it out to keep up with all the other tablets. Especially with Apple bringing out the iPad2, but me thinks they are going to make this device incredible in the summer.
    05-24-11 10:14 AM
    Very true, and I do hope RIM keeps the momentum going.
    05-24-11 10:15 AM
    Since I bought my PB, my lap top stays closed for days at a time.

The potential of the PB is simply enormous. However, whether or not RIM can exploit this potential successfully remains to be seen but it must be remembered that these are very early days indeed. If I, as an average consumer, sees no need to use a full computer for days on end because the PB replaces it then RIM has gotten something exactly right.
    05-24-11 10:24 AM
    If I, as an average consumer, sees no need to use a full computer for days on end because the PB replaces it then RIM has gotten something exactly right.
    They got something right for you. There is no way I could get what I want to get done with only the PlayBook. I would love to be able to do as you do, but it won't happen for me with the PlayBook in its current state. So from my perspective, RIM has gotten something wrong.
    05-24-11 10:27 AM
    the fact that there is a PlayBook and Storm thread not even 2 months after release isn't good for RIMM and its stock price.
    05-24-11 11:33 AM
    I remember the clamoring of the multitudes here on Crackberry that if Rimm doesn't get out the Playbook by a certain date, then Rimm was toast. Now it seems there are some who are writing that Rimm brought out the Playbook too soon. Toast if they do; toast if they don't.

Rimm can't seem to win for losing.

The Playbook is not a finished product. RIMM stated that when they brought it out. I pre-ordered it on that basis. It is a big help to me in sales presentations and it just keeps getting better. Is it perfect? No. There are things I want on this tablet that are not yet there. Will it improve? Sure it will. Rimm has invested too much to let this one die.

The product is a month old...there is still much to do. Give it a chance to mature. Patience, my fellow Crackberry-ites, patience. As the Heinz commercial used to say, "Good things come to those who wait."
    05-24-11 11:56 AM
    Psst... The company name is RIM (Research in Motion). The stock symbol is RIMM.
    05-24-11 11:57 AM
    i think most all of use though the PB was further along than it was and that is why we wanted it out earlier. When the PB was being shown on youtube and at other live events it looked pretty good. The reality was it could make a good 5 minute presentation but once you got your hands on it, the story was not the same. RIM is kinda damned if you do and damned if you dont but they have to take the blame on that one IMO.

Now, i wont say its as bad as a storm 1. the hardware is much better and that makes for better potentional BUT we were also promised lots of potentional with the storm series. And that didnt really go near what the majority of folks on here really wanted. **** the storm 2 was pretty good but 517 was the last OS with forward progress every OS after that created more trouble than it solved
    05-24-11 12:18 PM
    Psst... The company name is RIM (Research in Motion). The stock symbol is RIMM.
    Thanks for the clarification.

I was referring to the stock price of RIM, so I used RIMM. Technically, you are right. I should have said RIM and its RIMM stock price.
    Last edited by brucep1; 05-24-11 at 12:24 PM.
    05-24-11 12:21 PM
    No problem, but I was actually referring to newcollector's post.
    05-24-11 12:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD