10-05-13 09:12 AM
26 12
tools
    I have to admit....

I know playbooks very well, but had switched over to a Samsung Galaxy tab 3 7.0" recently to see if they made them any better than the tab 2 7.0". It appears on that tablet, the only big changes I've noticed were the micro USB charging port and the case itself, which looks like their S3 phone.

Well, I ended up returning the tab 3.....and I do not regret it one bit. Here's why...

One issue, and a big one at that, is their keyboard. It absolutely sucks. No sugar coating it there. Next, the cut, select, and pasting of text was next to impossible, as when one would try to select text, start the selection cursor at the beginning, move the second cursor to the end (good luck with that), it didn?t want to move to where you wanted it to go. But instead moved the whole page of the browser! Awesome job there Samsung....yeah....

Next, I noticed another quite ridiculous blunder that made me contact the company to no avail, nor did they even give a hoot when told about it. You simply cannot set a homepage to come up from the browser being closed to opening it up for the first time. No way, no how. You can set a homepage to say, google, but when you try to open the browser, try to immediately close any and all tabs, you are immediately shown a tab that gives you an error, saying "About Blank"....if you close all tabs in an open browser. Yeah, ok....not the way a homepage should work when closing all tabs.

As for the playbook...

Here's were I can say I love it. When you close any and all tabs, it still reverts back to your set or chosen homepage. Now we're talking....

The keyboard on the playbook is nothing short of being first class, not to mention when attaching photos in an email....you can attach multiple photos at once. Can't do that on the tab 3. Another strike for Samsung.

The playbook is simple THE best tablet I have ever owned and used. BAR NONE. And the multitasking...great.

Please fill me and others in why the architecture and functionality is simply the best in terms usefulness, ease of use, and just why it simply WORKS...

Posted via CB10
    nealjane1 and LyoobaBerry like this.
    10-01-13 09:31 PM
    Except with the tab, you can just get an alternative mail app to do just what you want LOL.

Android has no shortcomings when it comes to features. ever.
    harlemsfinest27 likes this.
    10-01-13 09:35 PM
    Sure it has lots of shortcomings....Android has nowhere near the security of the PlayBook, and when you made mention of shortcomings and how they never have any, well I can say they certainly do. a ****ty job of what they put out for the public to use. Complete crap, lots of lag, ridiculous keyboard...even the keyboard is as slow as molasses. You can keep your Android.....never again.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:39 PM
    Also, the features that exist, are not even half baked....the tab 3 7.0" is one useless rig. you can have your "Flashlight apps"......better you than me, that's for sure.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:41 PM
    And I don't know how an alternative mail app fixes the idiotic nuances of the closing and opening of tabs in the browser....completely ridiculous. The browser is laughable at best...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:43 PM
    It's really not about the amount of features...it's how the ones you have actually work, and do it well. Just my two cents...

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:44 PM
    Definitely getting back one or two Playbooks. And soon.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:45 PM
    Sure it has lots of shortcomings....Android has nowhere near the security of the PlayBook, and when you made mention of shortcomings and how they never have any, well I can say they certainly do. a ****ty job of what they put out for the public to use. Complete crap, lots of lag, ridiculous keyboard...even the keyboard is as slow as molasses. You can keep your Android.....never again.

Posted via CB10
    I said features, not security :P

Whether it's your browser or keyboard, you can always replace it with something from the play store! e.g. dolphin browser, google chrome, etc.
    10-01-13 09:45 PM
    Too much nonsense and overrated hype with Android. I have enough headaches without buying anything Android again, lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 09:49 PM
    I have considered Samsung products but disliked design and build quality. I'm also not a big fan of Android UI on large screens, I miss gestures.

But I don't understand complaints about browser and email client, because (as correctly stated above), you can replace stock programs with many others.
    10-02-13 03:45 AM
    There are many browsers (Dolphin, Opera, Firefox etc.) and email client apps on Android. Updates are frequent and new features are often added. Not so much on the app desert that is the PlayBook... if the browser breaks, then you're stuck because RIM sure as heck ain't fixing it.
    10-02-13 04:39 AM
    It's something i've never understood about the Development environment for the Playbook, are the API's for mail, video chat etc available to use in your own app development ??

If they are, surely a mildly competent programmer could knock out a better email front end or video chat app that allows more funtionality.

Origami is a case in point, a much better execution of the same basic task.
    10-02-13 05:10 AM
    Are you joking? Cannot even compare the two...
    10-02-13 07:37 AM
    I thought this forum is meant for blackberry fans and fans are meant to support whatever products or things they like regardless of the shortcomings. So, why are some people doing otherwise here?.This beats me so much. I think is about time we say no to that attitudes. Anyone that wants to commend Android over BlackBerry should go the Android forum and do that or anyone that also want to commend IOS over BlackBerry should go the IOS forum and do the same. This forum is for Blackberry fans and will remain so till billions to come.
    bradu1 and nealjane1 like this.
    10-02-13 11:02 AM
    Eyecandy and apps of iPad and crapozoid tabs does mean a lot to many, sales figures speak for themselves, but if only enough ppl knew back then what PB had and still has to offer it may have been a different story altogether. I'll never, ever leave my PB 64GB which can probably survive digestive system of an elephant since its surviving my 22 months old girl playing and learning on it and without a scratch. All the apps and functions I need are there. GPS, office docs editing, multiple email accounts, bes10 integration, silly (and some not so silly) games for todlers... brilliant audio and video playback, hdmi output and so on and so on...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 01:23 PM
    Now were talkin'...

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 01:49 PM
    the Playbook has its strengths and I still like mine, but Apps and options like expanding memory and "REAL OS UPDATES" just aren't there. Sorry to
    break the news, but I use my Samsung tab most of the time. It will do everything my playbook can with more options and lets not even talk about
    comparing the boot up times for my Tab vs. my Playbooks. Blackberry had a great tablet platform in Playbook, but they sold us unsupported hardware.
    I actually trust Samsung to support my phone and tablet with updates now and in the future, can any of us say the same for Blackberry after the job
    they did to us with our Playbooks? I know I don't.
    10-02-13 10:58 PM
    If you're happy with the Samsung, good for you. I, for one, will not have a tablet if it can't even hold a homepage after you close all tabs.....keyboard and prediction needs A LOT of work, no stereo sound, cameras plain suck, and the security of Android...well......don't go there.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 12:02 AM
    I have both, the Galaxy Tab 3 being a gift from TD bank for using their services. It's really a rubbish product - laggy, unreliable and frequently prone to crashes. A large app catalogue cannot fix that. The Playbook is overall a much more functional and reliable device. That said, while there are are number of very good 7" tablets available today (iPad mini and Nexus 7 come to mind) that would run circles around the Playbook, the Tab 3 7" is not one of them.
    10-03-13 03:24 AM
    Funny I don't have half the issues with my Samsung table that I keep hearing about, and I use it alot during the day. I didn't like the keyboard, but I downloaded SwiftKey and it works really well now. If you're just dead set on holding on to a BlackBerry product I understand that, but don't try to sell someone who has been a long time BB fan on how great the Playbook is and how bad the Samsung Tab is when I currently have and us both. If you like what BlackBerry is offering you as a Playbook customer then that's great for you, I on the other hand expected a lot more for my money then to be dumped and left for dead.
    10-03-13 11:39 AM
    The PB is an amazing tableT, unfortunately the market didn't want it or marketing was bad executed I don't know, but whatever the reason was is a tablet with a lot of potential and a great performance that is getting froze (development and updates) in time.

Despite all that, I keep using it all the time for browsing, for listening to music, and my kids play with it all the time, there are lots of kids games and my 5 and 2 year old play with it sometimes several hours in the day and when I get home at night there is still battery enough for my browsing and music.

Some times also I watch movies on Crackle and have it connected with HDMI to my TV (can't do that with my wife's Samsung Tab 2 7.0, don't know if the 3 comes with HDMI) which is a feature (HDMI) missing in most tablets and phones I don't now why.

So I don't think you can't do must stuff on a Samsung Tablet, I can say that you can do all, but the overall experience on the PB I find it better than in the Samsung, not saying one is better than the other, just saying I (personally) like it more.
    10-03-13 12:07 PM
    Another thing I want to ask, In the Tab 2 7.0 the only browser that runs flash is the Firefox but it gets laggy, is there a way to fix it?
    10-03-13 12:14 PM
    Love my PlayBook and will continue using it, but I'm going to buy a Hisense Sero Pro Android tablet. The one thing my PlayBook can't do is import my Contacts without using the cloud. I don't want to start a debate on the pros and cons of syncing with Google or whether it's safe to let them have access to your data; I don't want them to have it. And, I don't want to manually enter over 800 Contacts.

Presently, I use an app to sync my Android phone wirelessly and directly to Outlook. It will also sync the Hisense Sero. I can't find an app for the PlayBook that will do this (side loaded the app I use for Android and it didn't work). My PlayBook will still be my next-to-my-recliner tablet, but without my Contacts, it's lacking as an email platform.
    10-03-13 02:32 PM
    I took mine back also same tablet.... things I liked
    Being able to work my tv, novelty wore off that quickly.
    The screen is just like the playbooks same resolution
    Etc ..
    Thought ...what am I doing spending 200 bux on this
    Thing prefered the pb over it
    Picked up a Asus memo hd7 saved thirty bux
    As well...the memo hd is a good tab for the price
    Very happy with it and would recommend it if somebody is
    Financially challenged
    Cheers
    10-03-13 02:44 PM
    Funny I don't have half the issues with my Samsung table that I keep hearing about, and I use it alot during the day. I didn't like the keyboard, but I downloaded SwiftKey and it works really well now. If you're just dead set on holding on to a BlackBerry product I understand that, but don't try to sell someone who has been a long time BB fan on how great the Playbook is and how bad the Samsung Tab is when I currently have and us both. If you like what BlackBerry is offering you as a Playbook customer then that's great for you, I on the other hand expected a lot more for my money then to be dumped and left for dead.
    Ha, it's funny, and that's why in this world there are opinions and people's views are different based on their own experiences. You and I have the same two products (Unless you have the 8" or 10" which I hear are much better than the 7") but I personally find the 7" Tab 3.0 to be absolute junk due to the lag and frequent crashing of apps when I load more than a couple. Then again I'm spoilt for choice - I do also have an iPad2, which is by far the best all-rounder, and a Playbook which is the better portable/light tablet. I'm listing the Tab 3.0 on Kijiji as we speak. I really wanted to like it especially since it was free, but I feel the only good 7 inchers beside the Playbook are the iPad mini and the Nexus 7, neither of which I want to bother to get right now.
    10-04-13 09:40 PM
26 12