Hello, as you guys probably know the Nexus 7 tablet is shipping soon and the rumored Kindle Fire 2 and iPad mini might someday hit the market. You guys probably noticed that tablets recently now are starting to upgrade to a higher screen resolution, quad-cores, higher RAM, low prices, etc. These factors are making the Playbook look out of date cause of its specs.

HONESTLY I LOVE MY PLAYBOOK. I never really understood why higher screen resolution is such a big deal. First, I'm not blind and I can see things very clear and everything is readable on the Playbook. Well of course, higher resolutions are suppose to be more clearer. But this won't make a big difference. Some might noticed the difference in iPad 2 and the new iPad, but really.. IPad 2 was fine when I saw it. Also, higher screen resolutions drain the battery more probably.

PlayBook has a dual-core processor and it is very fast enough. No doubt that the quad-cores will better, but when I'm like playing 3D games with high graphics, it's always smooth.

Low Prices also seems to be a big factor for tablets. The Nexus 7 is 199$ US for 8gb while you can get the same price but with DOUBLE storage space (16gb). I think the nexus 7's 8gb and 16gb models won't satisfy those people who have a lot of stuff to store plus there's no expansion slot. I have a 64 gb playbook and I can store as much as I want to my heart's content. If I had a 8gb Nexus 7, the space would be full as soon as I upload all my music.

Camera also on playbook is amazingggg... Of course you can't compare to the new iPad's rear facing camera (not front facing HA!) and the Asus Transformer 8mp camera. However, those tablets are in the higher price range. In terms of the tablet world, the cameras are pretty awesome.

Okay, I get a lot of "THERES BARELY ANY APPS" from a lot of people, but a tablet is not just about apps. Do you remember app world like a year ago? It transformed into an amazing app world now with more apps, more developers, actual quality apps, support for Android. Yeah like I said, a tablet isn't just about apps, it's about the OS too. We all know the Playbook's amazing OS and multi-tasking business and gestures.

Stereo Speakers.. Just amazing.. I get eargasms...

My point is.. Through the thick and thin and all those temptations of specs from other tablets.. My PlayBook is irreplaceable by other tablets and I love it. <3
    07-09-12 04:54 PM
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Most people I show the PB to are amazed, especially by the quality of the sound from those tiny front-facing speakers.

And I love the OS2 predictive typing. Just wish BB7.1 had the same predictive typing cuz it is a bit confusing flipping back and forth between the 2 devices. Can't wait for BB10 and the "super-duper" predictive typing they've been demoing at the BB conferences.
    bishshoy likes this.
    07-09-12 05:08 PM
    I have to agree. Whenever a new tablet comes out I check the specs and always find something that I would miss if I were to switch. Whether it's storage space, flexibility/usage model (I hate walled gardens) or simply build quality, I always end up coming away happy that I bought a Playbook.

Just today I tweeted about an article I saw trumpeting a "new" 3rd party app that turns an iPad into a "file server." In other words, you can share files stored on the device using SMB over wifi.

The author made this sound like a big deal, however, I've been able to do this with my PB from day one. In fact I was shocked to learn that this wasn't an option with the base iOS.

It's the little things like this that keep me smiling every time I hear how some other tablet can't do some simple task that I take for granted on my PB. After 8 minrhs, still very satisfied with my purchase.

RCK
    anson1331, axllebeer and kbz1960 like this.
    07-09-12 05:41 PM
    I have to disagree, I don't really see any new tablet that could compare to the playbook, the necus 7 has less storage, more expensive, front camera is worse, android :&.... The playbook screen is already beautiful, dual core 1.5 GHz it amazing, same ram... The only plus is that the nexus has a 1.2 GHz quad core, other than that, PlayBook all the way, the kindle fire 2 I don't really thunk it'll keep up, and bout the iPad mini, same as apple always does, a bigger iPod... That's it... No flash support, no flash in camera, same old iOS, which frankly I don't see what do people find attractive of iOS, its so simple and boring...
    anson1331 likes this.
    07-09-12 06:07 PM
    I've had the playbook for a while now, and I picked up the new ipad. I love my playbook for many reasons, but I really wish it had the apps I like to use like the ipad has. If the playbook had the apps, I would have never got an ipad. Bring the quality apps and I'd never pick up the ipad again. Love the size, the quality, the screen of the playbook
    rcm1301 and bishshoy like this.
    07-09-12 06:08 PM
    the 1280x800 resolution of the Nexus 7 and upcoming Kindle Fire 2 is what will push me to dump my Playbook (which is 1024x600). by this time next year nobody will want a 1024x600 dual core tablet like the Playbook (BB10 or not). perhaps hardcore blackberry users will still love the Playbook.
    who now would buy a single core 800x480 tablet from last year? maybe if you need a junk tablet for your kids to play with.
    Last edited by HKSpeed; 07-09-12 at 06:23 PM.
    07-09-12 06:15 PM
    I have access to an iPad and a Kindle Fire as well as a Samsung Galaxy tablet so I'm sure that I'm not going to reveal something new.

#1 iPad - Best selection of apps and Facetime is awesome.
    #2 Kindle Fire - Awesome accessibility to Amazon and very easy to use.
    #3 Samsung Galaxy - Possibly the best Android tablet I've used. Easy review...
    Finally, the PlayBook - Best sound of ANY tablet out there. Bezel gestures are so awesome that once you get used to them its hard to pick up any other tablet and not try to "swipe" them to awake. Granted the selection of apps is pathetic in comparison, it's still a Great device that just needs better marketing and developers to get stuff done!

That's my random rant. Goodnight!
    07-09-12 06:26 PM
    the 1280x800 resolution of the Nexus 7 and upcoming Kindle Fire 2 is what will push me to dump my Playbook (which is 1024x600). by this time next year nobody will want a 1024x600 dual core tablet like the Playbook (BB10 or not). perhaps hardcore blackberry users will still love the Playbook.
    who now would buy a single core 800x480 tablet from last year? maybe if you need a junk tablet for your kids to play with.
    Someone that doesn't have much spending money?
    07-09-12 06:58 PM
    As I often mention in my posts, I have never regretted paying full price for my PB. It's what I wanted in my tablet.

POWERFUL.
    PORTABLE.
    PLAYBOOK.
    axllebeer and anson1331 like this.
    07-09-12 07:09 PM
    Honestly, I think the PlayBook is keeping up just fine considering it came out a little over a year ago. It was nothing but quality hardware when it came out, and its still quality. Software wise they came a long way since OS1, and BB10 will just expand on that with updated hardware later on.

Im liking the qnx experience so far, hardware and software.

And, I still love my Bold.

Of course, I'm probably just the minority when you compare outside this website.
    Harryl6134 and anson1331 like this.
    07-09-12 07:24 PM
    Okay. I'll bite. My PlayBook will be my main small computer driver for at least another year or two. I have had it since launch day in April of 2011 and use it constantly. I don't upgrade laptops every year and that is how I view my PlayBook. My eye cannot discern the difference in resolution you cite. I think most people use what works well for them for as long as it does just that regardless of the vendor.
    Last edited by D_March; 07-09-12 at 07:38 PM.
    bishshoy likes this.
    07-09-12 07:33 PM
    Could never figure out why so many people are hung up on specs...... They are important but only depending on what you want to do...... With an efficent OS, GPU and an optimized app... the app developers can make up for percieved hardware deficiencies. If you have a poorly written OS or App it does not matter how fast the components are....... you have poor performance...... In the computer world your computer is only as fast as the slowest component. The tablet world is the same..... Personally I do not care if another tablet has a faster cpu... better resolution etc.... My Playbook does everyting I want and more.... I look at Galaxy on Fire or Dead Space and I will be hard pressed to see what other plafforms can actually offer that is better.....at least in the way of games......
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 07-09-12 at 07:56 PM.
    07-09-12 07:48 PM
    At a certain point, increased display resolution has diminishing returns - when you surpass the resolution of your retina, you need a magnifying glass to tell the difference lol

Is that why Apple calls it the retina display?
    AceRoom likes this.
    07-09-12 08:39 PM
    I agree with the above that in some cases the specs dont matter. The PB is just fine at 1 GHz, i really cant say that at 1.5 GHz on the 4G version that it will be all that noticable. I think RAM makes a big difference and the PB would benefit from more RAM. The screen for the 7inch is fine. It will need a bump though IMO because it can look better. The biggest difference between the PB and other tabs is still software to me. RIM is still working on BB10 and finally that will complete it IMO.
    07-09-12 08:45 PM
    I'm very happy with my 64g playbook but I do get curious and

FIRST OFF. Tablets need at least 200g inside. No cards no clouds no streaming from the pc. If my tablet is to be the main unit. Then they need. INTERNAL Storage space

I saw some new droid tabs the 8g and the 16g. Come on 200g minium
    07-09-12 09:07 PM
    At a certain point, increased display resolution has diminishing returns - when you surpass the resolution of your retina, you need a magnifying glass to tell the difference lol

Is that why Apple calls it the retina display?
    Except for marketing BS, which is basically Apple's forte.

Tell people they need 700ppi and they'll believe you.
    07-09-12 09:10 PM
    I tried and resold many tablet ( Touchpad , Ipad ,Aconia,galaxy, Pantech...)
    And the playbook is the only one that I'm keeping right now, most app that I cannot find on the App Word; I can find a replacement on a website that does the same.
    I love the built quality , snappiness, Frt/Rear camera and price.
    For the price I paid I'm happy and will accept the shortcoming but would have never paid retail price for the PB.
    The PB is definitively a low resolution by today standard. text is not as crisp as other device.
    Last edited by el31415; 07-09-12 at 09:32 PM.
    07-09-12 09:29 PM
    I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

Most people I show the PB to are amazed, especially by the quality of the sound from those tiny front-facing speakers.

And I love the OS2 predictive typing. Just wish BB7.1 had the same predictive typing cuz it is a bit confusing flipping back and forth between the 2 devices. Can't wait for BB10 and the "super-duper" predictive typing they've been demoing at the BB conferences.
    Everyone loves my PlayBook and thinks it is awesome...except my Apple loving friend who will admit it is the 2nd best on the market (denial, he wants one haha ) And yea I am looking forward to the BB10 keyboard as well
    07-09-12 09:31 PM
    And the playbook is the only one that I'm keeping right now, most app that I cannot find on the App Word; I can find a replacement on a website that does the same.
    I love the built quality and price.
    For the price I paid I'm happy and will accept the shortcoming but would have never paid retail price for the PB.
    I really don't see any shortcomings (ok maybe apps but I am fine with it) and even with the newer tablets, the PlayBook still fares well as far as specs go. I paid full price for mine and the only thing I regret is that I only got the 16GB since the rest were all sold out.
    07-09-12 09:33 PM
    The thing to me that sets the tablet apart from the others is the fact that even after 4 or 5 days of hard use its still so fluid the os sets it apart. My transformer after a day or so just starts slowing down needless to say I gave it to my 3 year old daughter she loves it tho lol.... Also the speakers on this thing blow everything out of the water and just the feel of it its not so thin that it's hard to hold don't know what people's deal are with the super thin stuff
    07-09-12 09:55 PM
    In the computer world your computer is only as fast as the slowest component. ......
    I've been saying this for 20+ years to everyone that complains to me when they have a slow computer. You can have a brand new computer with crap RAM and guess what happens. It's slow. For those who don't understand it in my experience, I now go to this example:
    Buy a brand new computer and hook it up to an Internet connection through dial up. Yeah, have fun with that.

But honestly the PlayBook had really impressive specs at launch so they are still very respectable now. I also got mine at launch and use it daily. I have a friend that switched from BlackBerry to an Android phone but just 2 weeks ago he went out and bought a PlayBook. No regrets whatsoever. And to add it has been really cool to see 1st hand how the new QNX OS has developed over the last year. Really looking forward to BB10 and have also been having a lot of fun along the way

I raise my glass to the future, cheers.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-09-12 at 10:21 PM.
    07-09-12 10:13 PM
    I love the built quality , snappiness, Frt/Rear camera and price.
    The PB is definitively a low resolution by today standard. text is not as crisp as other device.
    I'm not sure if its the software rendering which helps with this but if you zoom in to the maximum zoom level there's no artifacting or jagged edges on the text, I used the web browser on cbc.ca for this demo, to be quite honest that's very good performance of a display from 170 PPI. I'd say the PlayBook could use a higher resolution display pretty much just for the marketing hype, as long as it keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Speaking of the aspect ratio. NO ONE seems to mention that YET it IS an amazing aspect ratio to have for video watching.
    07-09-12 10:25 PM
    Those who criticize the PB for a lack of apps really need to revisit the issue once OS 2.1 ships. The improved Android app support opens up a world of new possibilities for the device. I now prefer many sideloaded Android apps over their native counterparts (when they even exist).

Playbook OS: A better Android than Android.

RCK
    07-10-12 05:48 AM
    Those who criticize the PB for a lack of apps really need to revisit the issue once OS 2.1 ships. The improved Android app support opens up a world of new possibilities for the device. I now prefer many sideloaded Android apps over their native counterparts (when they even exist).

Playbook OS: A better Android than Android.

RCK
    A better Android than Android on a BlackBerry product who would have thought eh

I've always said that the PlayBook does handle Android (as well as native) multitasking quite a lot more elegantly and efficiency when compared to Android multitasking.
    07-10-12 06:08 AM
    I stopped searching for reasons why one product is better than another. I'm too much of a geek and will get a PB 10 inch alongside my iPad. Because I love them both. Had a chance to play with a PB and it's nice.

So in my opinion. Get as much as you can afford. Cos Android, iOS and BB OS are amazing. Piece out!
    07-10-12 06:26 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD