These two are similar in looks. But the playbook is far superir to kindle fire. Now the price is also the same. But Amazon has managed to sell kindle fire much more than playbook by RIM. What are ur views about kindle fire and playbook. According to me playbbok is far far superior to kindle fire.
    08-13-12 12:01 PM
    Again? I agree with you, many do not.
    08-13-12 12:11 PM
    You must've missed the twenty threads like this one that came out when the Fire was launched. Most Crackberryans agree with you except for the few who really like the Amazon ecosystem, that comes with the Fire.
    08-13-12 12:36 PM
    Are they comparable?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    08-13-12 12:38 PM
    Identical form factor, comparable processor.

Kindle has: better screen, much more robust app and media ecosystem.

PB has: more RAM, more storage, more "bells and whistles" (hdmi out, cameras, Bluetooth, etc)

On paper the Playbook arguably looks like a better device spec wise. But as users in this forum (and many others) have preached for years: specs aren't everything.
    08-13-12 12:48 PM

PB has: more RAM, more storage, more "bells and whistles" (hdmi out, cameras, Bluetooth, etc)

On paper the Playbook arguably looks like a better device spec wise. But as users in this forum (and many others) have preached for years: specs aren't everything.
    Better community around the world
    08-13-12 12:50 PM
    Actually, any android device can use the Amazon AppStore in addition to Google Play store, at least in the US. Don't know if it is reverse true with the Kindle (don't have one). Amazon AppStore has a "free" paid app/day feature, which is nice. Amazon does have some Kindle-only apps, though. Pretty much the same stuff but sometimes a feature app will come out first in one or the other store. Amazon comparable to Google but not to BB AppWorld.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 08-13-12 at 01:00 PM.
    08-13-12 12:53 PM
    Blackberry has no ecosystem...both apple and android does and have had for the last 2-3 years.

Hopefully with the arrival of BB10, we might get to see a *Real* ecosystem.
    08-13-12 01:18 PM
    Blackberry has no ecosystem...both apple and android does and have had for the last 2-3 years.

All of the devs do not thank you for stating NO. A stretch there.
    rupam95 likes this.
    08-13-12 01:31 PM
    The PB allows you to not only read books but also has:
    VideoChat
    Best HTML5 Browser (according to html5test.com) and Flash to boot
    Awesome speakers that face the user
    Camera and Video capability

The Playbook has the ability to side load android apps and there are a ton of apps in BlackBerry app world. I think the Playbook is hands down a better all around device. However, if you just want to read, then I would consider an old e-ink Kindle. If you are looking at the fire and Playbook then the Playbook is the smart play.
    kbz1960 and bb624 like this.
    08-13-12 01:37 PM
    All of the devs do not thank you for stating NO. A stretch there.
    For what?

\short
    08-13-12 01:59 PM

Yep the processor is exactly the same.
    08-13-12 02:34 PM
    Well as a person who has both....you cannot even compare ,the playbook is far superior,speed ,browser,slightly thinner ,and oddly lighter despite being almost same size.
    I am not even going to start on U.I. Because to ME ...its hands down playbook .
    If it were not for some key apps missing like netflix and skype , the playbook is the complete package in my book , even compared to the ipad
    I am not a fanboy , just calling it as i see it , and yes blackberry phones suck ,i mean really suck ,i hope the do better with bb10 .
    All in all , i am sorry ,you cant even compare those two tablets imho ,to me the playbook is superior, ...and again i own both
    kbz1960, profspeedo and seking like this.
    08-13-12 03:59 PM
    For what?

\short
    For saying there is no ecosystem. Not true, sure it doesn't have some of the big name apps etc. but there is something there and some darn good stuff there too. So to say there NONE is false even if the apps you want are not there.
    08-13-12 04:03 PM

how does kindle have a better screen? when i compared them side by side pb has better color and brightness

PB: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)

KF: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1024 x 600 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)
    Golf-Guy, diegonei and ncpete like this.
    08-13-12 04:32 PM

What's better about the Kindle's screen? Then lcd panel is identical to the PlayBook.
    08-13-12 04:51 PM
    how does kindle have a better screen? when i compared them side by side pb has better color and brightness

PB: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 600 x 1024 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)

KF: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 1024 x 600 pixels, 7.0 inches (~170 ppi pixel density)
    What's better about the Kindle's screen? Then lcd panel is identical to the PlayBook.
    Really? I didn't know the Playbook had an IPS panel with Gorilla Glass.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 08-13-12 at 05:30 PM.
    08-13-12 05:24 PM
    Really? I didn't know the Playbook had an IPS panel with Gorilla Glass.
    The issue is not what covers the screen, but the screen itself, i.e., the display. I have both the PB and the KF (two KFs actually), and the PB definitely has a more vivid and pleasing screen. That said, they both pale in comparison to the display on the iPad 3.
    08-13-12 06:24 PM
    I disagree that all BB phones suck! Use a 9320 curve for work great little phone with a battery that never dies and send and receives aver 150 emails daily and countless phone calls. Use 9930 for personal and truly this is a fabulous phone have not one complaint about it! And of course both BB's are bridged to my PB.
    IMO
    08-13-12 06:26 PM
    The pb, kindle fire no competition. However, the nexus 7 is with the better eco system and jelly bean. If compering specs I would say pb, if you take everything in mind nexus 7 better tablet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-13-12 06:28 PM
    The issue is not what covers the screen, but the screen itself, i.e., the display. I have both the PB and the KF (two KFs actually), and the PB definitely has a more vivid and pleasing screen. That said, they both pale in comparison to the display on the iPad 3.
    Gorilla glass is better than plastic. What's a non-issue to you is a major issue to many people.

IPS is not what covers the screen, it is the screen technology. A much more advanced technology than the one used in the Playbook screen.

Do you actually know what you're arguing about?
    08-13-12 06:35 PM
    Well as a person who has both....you cannot even compare ,the playbook is far superior,speed ,browser,slightly thinner ,and oddly lighter despite being almost same size.
    I am not even going to start on U.I. Because to ME ...its hands down playbook .
    If it were not for some key apps missing like netflix and skype , the playbook is the complete package in my book , even compared to the ipad
    I am not a fanboy , just calling it as i see it , and yes blackberry phones suck ,i mean really suck ,i hope the do better with bb10 .
    All in all , i am sorry ,you cant even compare those two tablets imho ,to me the playbook is superior, ...and again i own both
    Fair enough, but so you know "key apps" are in the eye of the beholder, I would not want either of the apps you mention were they available for playbook.
    08-13-12 06:55 PM

Powerful platform, easy to develop for: Check -> QNX powered OS.
    App Store: Check -> BlackBerry App World
    Music Store: Check -> BlackBerry Music Store powered by 7digital
    Video Store: Check -> BlackBerry Video Store powered by Rovi
    eBook Store: Check -> Kobo
    Magazine Store: Check -> Zinio
    Podcasts App: Check
    Cloud Storage Service: Needed badly

Now if you say we don't have an INTEGRATED ecosystem, I'll give you that... One login (BB ID), one password, all stores in one single place. The rest is there.

In fact, I can only see it getting better once services we already have on the the tablet or phones finally are available on both, like BBM Music and Video Chat.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-13-12 at 08:08 PM.
    kbz1960 and seking like this.
    08-13-12 08:02 PM
    I'd love to hear how exactly BlackBerry Phones suck so bad.

Used my 8520 as a work phone for a month and there was nothing USEFUL the boss' iPhone 4S could do that my trusted, good, really old, outdated 8520 couldn't do (and sometimes do better). Whenever the 9780 would step in (during after hours) it would give reasons for "not bad" looks (you know, like the meme).

Now, I too want a "magical" image correction app for my pictures. But oh, wait, I don't really need one, since my 9780 actually takes good pictures.

So yeah... It's really relative what sucks and what doesn't. Lack of proper LED notifications sucks big time on my book... See where I'm getting here?
    08-13-12 08:28 PM
    I do wish RIM would partner with amazon for the purposes of their ecosystem. However, amazon is flash compatible so this is almost moot, apps would be nice though. That said, I won't buy a kindle fire or any other tablet for that matter until it can bridge with my blackberry.
    08-13-12 08:41 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD