A device with a 7" screen and sliding physical keyboard running BB10 should be Blackberry's next move. Why bother doing me-too Android knockoffs with a me-too Android player when they can make something truly special?

At the moment they're competing against the Nexus 7 and other cheap Android tablets solely on price. Nobody would touch the Playbook if it was being sold for iPad money.
    Thing is, though, none of us truly know what BlackBerry are doing next in the tablet space in terms of new models - all there is is wanton speculation, it's at least possible that they may not produce a new tablet - so it's awfully previous to criticise them about a device they haven't yet announced - if they do at all.
    04-20-13 05:37 AM
    Thing is, though, none of us truly know what BlackBerry are doing next in the tablet space in terms of new models - all there is is wanton speculation, it's at least possible that they may not produce a new tablet - so it's awfully previous to criticise them about a device they haven't yet announced - if they do at all.
    I agree with you. My only qualm is that I'm still trying to divine what Thor meant when he indicated that rim/bbry was into a mobile platform or ecosystem or whatever he said (g). Phones alone are not a mobile platform so it would seem that something else is OUT there............
    04-20-13 08:57 AM
    This is apparently what the bridge does:

�Use your smartphone�s keyboard, trackpad and touchscreen to remotely control your PlayBook� tablet.
    �Browse the web on your tablet using your existing BlackBerry� smartphone�s connection, if supported by your wireless service provider.
    �Get access to your email, calendar, contacts, memopad, tasks and BBM � all on the large tablet display.

Given that the Z10 and Q10 have no trackpad that feature will not work. Who could be bothered to bridge a Z10 to type on a PB ? or from a Q10 either. A tablet with a decent keyboard like the new Surface might be useful.

Bowse the internet .. how is that better than using bluetooth or mobile hot spot.

Access to BB features on a larger screen. This all made sense when BB's had a tiny screen , you had lots of BBM contacts and there was no native e-mail app. I have seen no need to use my PB as a BB surrogate since they upgraded the PB software.

There is no way to bring the PB back from the dead. Advertising will not help. There needs to be a new PB... faster, thinner, lighter, bigger screen, useful high grade detachable keyboard ( or bulit on KB), more memory and SD memory, HD output, USB ports and apps.

They can't make any money by selling cheap Android style knock offs. They need to be back up market.
    there are so many things wrong w/ this post,,, either you just don't get it, or you've never used one...
    axllebeer likes this.
    04-20-13 09:12 AM
    In a quote from Bbnivende
    "Given that the Z10 and Q10 have no trackpad that feature will not work. Who could be bothered to bridge a Z10 to type on a PB ? or from a Q10 either. A tablet with a decent keyboard like the new Surface might be useful. "

But the touch screen on Z10 acts like a trackpad, in the same way it does on my 9800 torch touch screen

It's makes it all a joy to sit and surf the net, watch tv in hd, listen to my music andrespond to my emails on my 40" hi Def tv whilst sat on my sofa with a beer in hand
    Even it is all done on wifi :-(

Posted via CB10
    Conan,,, do you have yor playbook rigged thru wifi to your tv??? can you tell me how??? i currently have to use hdmi...
    04-20-13 09:15 AM
    I agree with you. My only qualm is that I'm still trying to divine what Thor meant when he indicated that rim/bbry was into a mobile platform or ecosystem or whatever he said (g). Phones alone are not a mobile platform so it would seem that something else is OUT there............
    laptop,,, you heard it here 1st,,, tab market is saturated & owned by ipple,,, laptops have room for an innovative entry...
    04-20-13 09:21 AM
    there are so many things wrong w/ this post,,, either you just don't get it, or you've never used one...
    Oh I have a PB. It is a decent enough device at the low price point it is now. I don't use it much because it does not pick up Wifi signals very well, has virtually no apps that I want and I find the browser experience to be very frustrating. Normal browsing on our Ipad is a breeze. Just as efficient as my laptop. The PB browser is not responsive to links and it too easily jumps off the page to an unwanted ad or other link.

But that is not the issue.

Assume that you have a Z10 and a PB - what is it that you want to do with the bridge that is so important ?
    04-20-13 09:59 AM
    laptop,,, you heard it here 1st,,, tab market is saturated & owned by ipple,,, laptops have room for an innovative entry...

If that is the case - why should BB concern themselves with the legacy playbook at all. Very few future owners of BB10 devices will own a playbook and even fewer BB10 users will want to use "the bridge".
    04-20-13 10:03 AM
    Well, it really depends upon usage. I still use my PB alot. My Z 10 is vreat for a lot of things but being over 50 and eyes that are dealing with getting older, so many things are easier to see and share on the PB screen versus the Z10. Just replace z10 with any phone, other than perhaaps the note series and the screen size. of the PB is great!!! I often use the PB and Z10 in combo with each other and they work at doing different things. Typing on the playbook is pretty good, now with the predictive text as well it works great. I still type faster on the go with the Z10 and it is my go to device in the car butgreat to have both!
    04-20-13 10:39 AM
    I don't use it much because it does not pick up Wifi signals very well, has virtually no apps...

Assume that you have a Z10 and a PB - what is it that you want to do with the bridge that is so important ?
    might be your router,,, my pb gets great wifi reception,,, & there are a pretty good amount of apps,,, when i go "apping", i usually go crosseyed before i get thru them all,,, the search function on appworld does suck tho,,, & bridge is great to have,,, i still have my 9850,,, one of the reasons i don't have a "Z" yet,aside from Sprint not carrying it, is that bridge is barely functional,,, it's just an awesome feature being able to have comms & control between both devices...
    04-20-13 05:29 PM
    If that is the case - why should BB concern themselves with the legacy playbook at all. Very few future owners of BB10 devices will own a playbook and even fewer BB10 users will want to use "the bridge".
    it's documented that most, if not all playbook users will upgrade to another BB device @ some point,,, bridge functionality being a good reason,,, plus they, BB, promised BB10 to us pb owners,,, in addition to Best Buys' $150 fire sale, that was the straw the got me to get one,,, if they p!ss of playbook owners, they take a chance of alienating a large portion of the 2.5 million ppl that have 'em,,, you could say, "eff 'em", but right now BB needs all the friends they can get...
    04-20-13 05:35 PM
    Not exactly eff em, but almost. I think about 2 million PB's were sold. Not all to PB owners once the price was marked down - were not BB owners in the first place say 500 K . Some are no longer working or have been replaced by newer tablets. Easy 300 K. Furthermore at least 500 K of former BB-PB owners have moved on to Android or Iphones . I would say there might be a group of 700 K BB - PB owners out there - mainly in Canada and the UK. How many of those BB-PB owners are like Belfast dispatcher and will just keep on with there BB-PB combos until they no longer work. I say about 1/2. So about 350 K - 500 K might be interested in a Z10- PB combo. For how many is the lack of the bridge in the Z10-PB is the "last straw" causing you to not buy a Z10 or Q10. Not many...
    04-20-13 06:04 PM
    Well, I've used one (for over a year), I get it. And he's right. BB won't be able to compete with cheap android tablets. It needs to aim at least as high as the upcoming successor to the Nexus 7 and iPad mini.
    04-20-13 07:04 PM
    Not exactly eff em, but almost. I think about 2 million PB's were sold. Not all to PB owners once the price was marked down - were not BB owners in the first place say 500 K . Some are no longer working or have been replaced by newer tablets. Easy 300 K. Furthermore at least 500 K of former BB-PB owners have moved on to Android or Iphones . I would say there might be a group of 700 K BB - PB owners out there - mainly in Canada and the UK. How many of those BB-PB owners are like Belfast dispatcher and will just keep on with there BB-PB combos until they no longer work. I say about 1/2. So about 350 K - 500 K might be interested in a Z10- PB combo. For how many is the lack of the bridge in the Z10-PB is the "last straw" causing you to not buy a Z10 or Q10. Not many...
    You got any references for these statistics?

Also on the topic of wi-fi suppose you have checked signal strength and maybe logs to help you determine why your PB is not performing up to your requirements.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-20-13 10:31 PM
    I recently got a Nexus 7, and my girlfriend may be getting a mini. The Nexus is not perfect for sure, but has some serious bang for the buck. The major reasons I find myself grabbing the Nexus more than my Playbook are:

- Most internet tasks, especially browsing, just seem much better on it. All of the browsers I have tried so far have a better browsing experience than the PB browser

- The screen is fantastic on it

- It's slightly lighter and nice to hold in one hand with the beveled back

The Playbook is such a great media player though. The speakers on it are fantastic for a device that size. There are definitely a few apps I miss for it, but even if it had faster browsing I would be more content with it. Using the Nexus hits home how bad the browser actually is. So if BB10 comes to Playbook with a better browser, it will get more use again. I am actually liking Android (Jelly Bean) a lot (my first experience with it). But the Playbook OS is great too.

I look forward to try out a Mini as well though.
    04-20-13 11:00 PM
    How recent did you get it? If you're still in the return window the newer nexus tablet should be out by July. In the meantime I installed Fast Browser on my PB to hold me over

sent from pure android on tapatalk. carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all.
    04-21-13 01:56 AM
    How recent did you get it? If you're still in the return window the newer nexus tablet should be out by July. In the meantime I installed Fast Browser on my PB to hold me over

sent from pure android on tapatalk. carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all.
    Same here.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-13 02:06 AM
    I recently got a Nexus 7, and my girlfriend may be getting a mini. The Nexus is not perfect for sure, but has some serious bang for the buck. The major reasons I find myself grabbing the Nexus more than my Playbook are:

- Most internet tasks, especially browsing, just seem much better on it. All of the browsers I have tried so far have a better browsing experience than the PB browser

- The screen is fantastic on it

- It's slightly lighter and nice to hold in one hand with the beveled back

The Playbook is such a great media player though. The speakers on it are fantastic for a device that size. There are definitely a few apps I miss for it, but even if it had faster browsing I would be more content with it. Using the Nexus hits home how bad the browser actually is. So if BB10 comes to Playbook with a better browser, it will get more use again. I am actually liking Android (Jelly Bean) a lot (my first experience with it). But the Playbook OS is great too.

I look forward to try out a Mini as well though.
    I've had nexus 7 for few weeks. I did test it against pb fast browser and nexus was that much faster at all.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    04-21-13 02:09 AM
    Noooo sad to say not I just meant the PlayBook only working on wifi, I have the original model, although my friend has an all singing all dance 50" 3d tv that has wifi/ bluetooth? On it so I may have to go round to try that out :-)

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 02:36 AM
    Conan,,, do you have yor playbook rigged thru wifi to your tv??? can you tell me how??? i currently have to use hdmi...
    Noooo sad to say not I just meant the PlayBook only working on wifi, I have the original model, although my friend has an all singing all dancing 50" 3d tv with wifi/bluetooth so I may have to pop over and try that out :-)

Posted via CB10
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-21-13 02:39 AM
    I will always have a lot of respect for the passion and blindness of you fanboyz
    I think especially that now BB10 is out and not available for playbook, praising the playbook over fully supported tablets of the competition has become touching.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-21-13 04:54 AM
    About the only thing that keeps me with the Playbook is the multitasking. It tries its hardest to keep apps running and native apps multitask well, especially on Showcase mode, although all apps are killed if available memory drops too low.

On Android, I can't be sure if an app has been terminated while it's idle. There's no system setting to keep apps alive so I just have to trust the scheduler. Most of the time it does an awful job
    04-21-13 05:05 AM
    sometimes i wonder what's the point of multitasking when you're not on a computer. draining battery, what else ?
    who needs to have 5 apps open at the same time on a device designed for mobility, quickness, quick tasks
    CairnsRock likes this.
    04-21-13 09:59 AM
    Some things should remain open until you explicitly close them, apps like web browsers that pull data from the Internet. I haven't found a web browser on any platform that can cache a web page and reload properly if the Internet connection is lost or the app is killed. Only Opera Mobile on Android and Symbian has a good "saved pages" feature which can compress and save a page for later viewing. The problem is that I have to save and reload manually for each page.

Worse case scenario? You have some web pages loaded just before you get on a flight, you turn on your tablet in midair and find the browser app was killed and had to restart. Now it's rare or very expensive to have Internet access at 40,000 feet

I use my Playbook to replace my laptop so I expect to use the laptop workflow I'm familiar with on the tablet. PBOS lets me have 5 apps open - Files & Folders, Messaging, Browser, DocsToGo and PDF Reader - and I can quickly switch between them. They're not using any battery if I'm on Default multitasking mode because only the foregrounded app gets resources while the rest are suspended.
    04-21-13 10:18 AM
    sometimes i wonder what's the point of multitasking when you're not on a computer. draining battery, what else ?
    who needs to have 5 apps open at the same time on a device designed for mobility, quickness, quick tasks
    I find it useful for playing podcast or downloading a file while I am using the interface for something else. My Android tablet does it as well as the playbook.

Apart from that, no I think you're right multitasking is not an essential issue on a handheld device.
    04-21-13 11:21 AM
    it seems you use the browser a lot for "work"
    but pb is slow, bookmarks are awful
    the browsing experience is awful

Files and folder is pure garbage, message app does not need to be open

multitasking on mobile devices is highly overrated
    04-21-13 11:23 AM
61 123