Curious : what is the sell price for an Iphone 4S or an Ipad 2 in Vietnam ?
    I also think 9900 or PB are flagships, not devices dedicated to emerging countries (old 2G networks mostly). You may do a quick search about it.

Edited: front page of apple store Vietnam :
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-02-12 at 12:03 PM.
    02-02-12 11:59 AM
    what are the conversion rates between the iPad and PB for the country?
    02-02-12 02:46 PM
    Yea it seems that another 'plus' is the 'amazing' apps for iPad. But other then a very select few I dont see the need for an 'app' when you can just use the website.

Actually, IMO the PB shows a progression away from 'apps' in favour of actually using the internet as it is supposed to be used. For example I dont need a gmail or dropbox app bc I can just go to the site and use it as it is, where as (at least in my experience) the iPad is so inferior at doing this that the flashy apps are created to put some sparkle on something that is actually a flaw in my eyes. In other words, why should I have 15 icons on my home screen when I can just have the internet icon that would then allow me to go to all 15 of those sites???

Again, the portability is HUGE for me, and most people. I have a sony PRS-300 ereader and the PB is about 3x as heavy (both with leather cases), which isnt that much at all bc the ereader is incredibly light, yet i can do soooo much more on it and it was only $100 more than the newest ereaders on the market when I was looking for an upgrade.

summing it up so far... I think the PB should have been called JACKPOT lol
    There is a lot to be said about your app comment. You are correct. I have looked carefully at some apps which are merely a crutch for not being able to run directly from the web site. And yes, 15 icons or 15 bookmarks? When only one program running is needed for them all.

Additionally, many people may find out later, if the Web browsing improves on other tablets, that they have purchased a number of unnecessary apps down the road.
    I continue to come back to the same realization I have had all along. The original pricing of the PB was too high, the newer pricing makes it an exceptional value!
    02-04-12 06:52 PM
    My toys of choice, sorry but I wouldn't touch the iCrap

PB 64 GB & Asus TF201 32 GB [microSD expandable]

I used to use an iphone 3G then 3GS, I've done with Jaibreaking & Unlocking both phones [because I was stuck with a long term contract by the provider] & still have a MacBook for a back-up spare; VMware installed with Win. XP [mostly just collecting dust]. I'm just already bored with iOS & these days, I've seen too many iphone/ipod touch are use by 7~18 yrs old kids.
    Last edited by B_Berry; 02-05-12 at 12:43 PM.
    02-04-12 08:20 PM
    According to the recently published results of a survey by the University of the State of Columbia, Playbook owners spend about 3.4 hours a day on average using the Playbook. Of which, they spend on average 2 hours writing on blogs and forums why they haven't bought the iPad or an Android tablet.
    blue-b and blacksea07 like this.
    02-04-12 08:50 PM
    There is a lot to be said about your app comment. You are correct. I have looked carefully at some apps which are merely a crutch for not being able to run directly from the web site. And yes, 15 icons or 15 bookmarks? When only one program running is needed for them all.

Additionally, many people may find out later, if the Web browsing improves on other tablets, that they have purchased a number of unnecessary apps down the road.
    I continue to come back to the same realization I have had all along. The original pricing of the PB was too high, the newer pricing makes it an exceptional value!
    That is the whole point: Apple gets filthy rich with fooling people and forcing them into buying apps that are not needed if the iPad had a browser that you can CALL a browser. That is the whole concept! They did this because they KNEW that most of the web consists of Flash. All you need to do is cripple the "browser" and brainwash people that they NEED apps to successfully participate. And nickle and dime them as much as possible alongside with iTunes and other stuff. Couldn't happen to me, EVER.
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-04-12 09:12 PM
    That is the whole point: Apple gets filthy rich with fooling people and forcing them into buying apps that are not needed if the iPad had a browser that you can CALL a browser. That is the whole concept! They did this because they KNEW that most of the web consists of Flash. All you need to do is cripple the "browser" and brainwash people that they NEED apps to successfully participate. And nickle and dime them as much as possible alongside with iTunes and other stuff. Couldn't happen to me, EVER.
    Dang, I knew that. The only way to get rich and successful is to sell crippled products and brainwash people.

Off to write a business plan
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-05-12 at 10:32 PM.
    02-04-12 09:44 PM
    Dang, I knew that. The only way to get reach and successful is to sell crippled products and brainwash people.

Off to write a business plan
    Pretty sure apple has a patent on that...
    just saying
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-05-12 10:28 PM
    Pretty sure apple has a patent on that...
    just saying
    LOL that was great for a good nights laugh Just picked up my PlayBook on Friday, loving it so far Curse you university essays, made me miss spending time with my Playbook
    02-05-12 10:30 PM
    glad i can help you through the essays.

thank god im done with that!
    02-05-12 10:59 PM
    I have both as well, and it's apples and oranges.

As long as you're in wifi range, both are fine. Go out of wifi range (like on a plane or where there's no cellphone coverage), then the iPad just stomps all over the PB with it's apps support... doesn't hurt that the battery life is 2x. Cool thing about iOS devices, is any app you buy, is licensed across _all_ your iOS devices, no additional fees required.

Day to day though, the PB is _much_ lighter, more portable and has FLASH support. In fact, it handles flash better than my laptop. The two front facing speakers don't hurt either. Being able to access bluetooth with just a swipe and tap is very handy, it's 10x longer on any iOS device.

BTW, support for East Asian languages on the Playbook _stinks_ compared to iOS, little wonder BB's are only for the business folks in Vietnam, with no native language support, you pretty well have to speak/read/write English to use one. iOS supports many of the East Asian languages out of the box.

Do I regret getting the Playbook... absolutely not. I don't mind it's short-comings, mostly because I already have the iPad. I know things will get better with OS 2, and given the build quality and price of the PB, nothing else comes close.
    blacksea07 likes this.
    02-06-12 12:06 AM
    tablets are overpriced. there is no reason a tablet should be $500. with that said i decided it is time for me to get one. i have an iphone and i was just gonna get an ipad since i really like the iphone.since i already waited this long and all the tablets r 500, i was waiting on ipad 3 to come out and then i saw the ad that the playbook is on sale for 200. went on youtube right away, watched reviews, came here,read the forums and decided to go for it. wow am i glad, this is an excellent tablet. i am prolly going to get one for my wife and dad (3pbs for the price of 1 ipad lol). my main purpose for a tablet is browser and flash videos. i was skeptical about 7inch display but i am already used to it. ordered incipio case and screen protectors and am ready for the long ride. the update will b a plus solely for skype. still cant believe i got it for 200, i am def going to promote it as it really is amazing
    nikgilbe likes this.
    02-06-12 12:13 AM
    I have both as well, and it's apples and oranges.

As long as you're in wifi range, both are fine. Go out of wifi range (like on a plane or where there's no cellphone coverage), then the iPad just stomps all over the PB with it's apps support... doesn't hurt that the battery life is 2x. Cool thing about iOS devices, is any app you buy, is licensed across _all_ your iOS devices, no additional fees required.

Day to day though, the PB is _much_ lighter, more portable and has FLASH support. In fact, it handles flash better than my laptop. The two front facing speakers don't hurt either. Being able to access bluetooth with just a swipe and tap is very handy, it's 10x longer on any iOS device.

BTW, support for East Asian languages on the Playbook _stinks_ compared to iOS, little wonder BB's are only for the business folks in Vietnam, with no native language support, you pretty well have to speak/read/write English to use one. iOS supports many of the East Asian languages out of the box.

Do I regret getting the Playbook... absolutely not. I don't mind it's short-comings, mostly because I already have the iPad. I know things will get better with OS 2, and given the build quality and price of the PB, nothing else comes close.
    Either your apps need internet connection to work or they dont.
    if you have the 'crackberry' app then it cant access the information without the internet connection

therefore your point is not really valid. if the devices are equal with wifi then there isnt really much difference without wifi because the apps that dont need internet connections can be used at any time. ACTUALLY... if you dont have wifi you can use your BB to share the connection... whereas with a iPad if you dont have wifi (with the wifi only model) then there is NO chance you can have internet at all.
    02-06-12 12:26 AM
    Either your apps need internet connection to work or they dont.
    if you have the 'crackberry' app then it cant access the information without the internet connection

therefore your point is not really valid. if the devices are equal with wifi then there isnt really much difference without wifi because the apps that dont need internet connections can be used at any time. ACTUALLY... if you dont have wifi you can use your BB to share the connection... whereas with a iPad if you dont have wifi (with the wifi only model) then there is NO chance you can have internet at all.
    You can either have an app for something that can run offline, or run the online version. Like gmail.... the ipad will cache your email, so you can still read and respond. Can't do that on the PB.

Many iOS apps also have their online equivalents, but require net access. If you have the app version, then you don't need access. Eg, many online dictionaries are available as an app, the main difference it that you can't use an online dictionary when you're offline.

Another example are the "conference/event" apps. Like Winterlude here in Ottawa, yes, there's an app for it but you can also access the online info.

Then there's the fact that there's just so _many_ more apps for iOS. There's a lot you can do with the iPad when you're offline, no so much with the PB.

The iPad tethers just like the PB (you can tether off a BB or Android phone too).. I do it everyday.
    trinipoco likes this.
    02-06-12 08:18 AM
    You can either have an app for something that can run offline, or run the online version. Like gmail.... the ipad will cache your email, so you can still read and respond. Can't do that on the PB.

Many iOS apps also have their online equivalents, but require net access. If you have the app version, then you don't need access. Eg, many online dictionaries are available as an app, the main difference it that you can't use an online dictionary when you're offline.

Another example are the "conference/event" apps. Like Winterlude here in Ottawa, yes, there's an app for it but you can also access the online info.

Then there's the fact that there's just so _many_ more apps for iOS. There's a lot you can do with the iPad when you're offline, no so much with the PB.

The iPad tethers just like the PB (you can tether off a BB or Android phone too).. I do it everyday.
    This is true, but the iPad uses A LOT more data then the PB

as for the 'offline' apps...
    you can do the same for PB. That was my point.
    02-06-12 04:18 PM

You just went from "you can't tether" to "yeah it does, but it takes more data" ?

What is your basis for this? Personal experience with both?

I have both, and use both daily.

My point was that both are "fine" when you're in wifi range, not "equal", just "fine".

They're both useful, each with it's strong points, but offline, the PB is very limited right now, which is fine with me, since I bought my PB to use online.
    LeKeiser and blacksea07 like this.
    02-06-12 04:58 PM

Does iOS use more data in general? My friend burns through a lot more data on his iPhone than I do on my Android and he does less internet activity than me

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    02-06-12 07:31 PM
    You just went from "you can't tether" to "yeah it does, but it takes more data" ?

What is your basis for this? Personal experience with both?

I have both, and use both daily.

My point was that both are "fine" when you're in wifi range, not "equal", just "fine".

They're both useful, each with it's strong points, but offline, the PB is very limited right now, which is fine with me, since I bought my PB to use online.

I made that 'jump' because if you have the cheapest data plan on your iphone, as i do, then tethering becomes pretty expensive... on the other hand i know many people who have the same amount of data as i do on their BB and tether NONSTOP to playbooks and have NO problem.

what i meant by 'having access' to internet was basically having 'affordable' access. im not gonna pay MORE for an ipad and then have to pay MORE for my data plan to tether with the ipad, to me that doesnt make sense.
    02-06-12 09:00 PM
    I made that 'jump' because if you have the cheapest data plan on your iphone, as i do, then tethering becomes pretty expensive... on the other hand i know many people who have the same amount of data as i do on their BB and tether NONSTOP to playbooks and have NO problem.

what i meant by 'having access' to internet was basically having 'affordable' access. im not gonna pay MORE for an ipad and then have to pay MORE for my data plan to tether with the ipad, to me that doesnt make sense.
    That's completely carrier dependent, and given the fact we're likely not even in the same country, the comparison is even more meaningless.

We have a separate corporate plan for the BB's at work, and emails don't count against data, they're treated separately - you still pay for it, just not the same way.

I know some carriers charge extra for tethering, it's free on my carrier, and I only pay $5- more per month than the minimum data plan for 6gigs/mth.

If you have a recent phone, then you likely have the hotspot feature (definitely available for iPhone and Android), and then tethering is completely phone dependent, the tablet in use is irrelevant.

iOS also has notifications and email/calendar push. Depending on how many of those you have turned on, significant traffic/usage can be generated. I haven't seen these features on the PB.
    02-06-12 09:43 PM
    That's completely carrier dependent, and given the fact we're likely not even in the same country, the comparison is even more meaningless.

We have a separate corporate plan for the BB's at work, and emails don't count against data, they're treated separately - you still pay for it, just not the same way.

I know some carriers charge extra for tethering, it's free on my carrier, and I only pay $5- more per month than the minimum data plan for 6gigs/mth.

If you have a recent phone, then you likely have the hotspot feature (definitely available for iPhone and Android), and then tethering is completely phone dependent, the tablet in use is irrelevant.

iOS also has notifications and email/calendar push. Depending on how many of those you have turned on, significant traffic/usage can be generated. I haven't seen these features on the PB.
    all i am saying is that if you TETHER your iphone which uses A LOT of data then you will be paying more... obviously if you have unlimited data or a high amount of it then it wont be an issue.
    02-06-12 09:57 PM
    I have had both the iPad and iPad2. The most they ever got used was on Saturday to read online news from the USA Today app and local newspaper app. They virtually NEVER got used for anything else outside of when I went on holidays and took it. So 48-50 weeks of the year its sitting idle.

Just a few weeks back I purchased the Playbook 64GB.

Here is my usage so far....
    - daily use for local newspaper app
    - showing pictures to clients - the size makes it perfect to throw in bag and tote along
    - bring along while waiting for kids at dance, music, etc, (not exclusive to PB I know)
    - internet browsing
    - music player in car - don't have to worry about kids burning the battery on my Torch 9860
    - Vevo video player - my girls were watching some stuff yesterday on our HDTV through the micro HDMI port

Haven't even used the video camera or regular camera yet.

The only thing I'm really waiting for is the ability to import photos from an SD Card so I can take it on holidays as my main device and leave my macbook air at home.
    02-06-12 10:04 PM
    I have had both the iPad and iPad2. The most they ever got used was on Saturday to read online news from the USA Today app and local newspaper app. They virtually NEVER got used for anything else outside of when I went on holidays and took it. So 48-50 weeks of the year its sitting idle.

Just a few weeks back I purchased the Playbook 64GB.

Here is my usage so far....
    - daily use for local newspaper app
    - showing pictures to clients - the size makes it perfect to throw in bag and tote along
    - bring along while waiting for kids at dance, music, etc, (not exclusive to PB I know)
    - internet browsing
    - music player in car - don't have to worry about kids burning the battery on my Torch 9860
    - Vevo video player - my girls were watching some stuff yesterday on our HDTV through the micro HDMI port

Haven't even used the video camera or regular camera yet.

The only thing I'm really waiting for is the ability to import photos from an SD Card so I can take it on holidays as my main device and leave my macbook air at home.
    nice. you can do all that on the iPad as well... but i guess what youre saying is that you use the PB more because of the size.

do you find that the screen is 'better'?
    02-07-12 12:03 AM

I would like to point out that data usage depends only on the users habits, and not on the type of OS running. I don't see any logical reason to think that one OS uses more data than another, if both are generally accessing the same internet content. Sure the PlayBook will give a richer web experience with Flash and whatnot, but wouldn't that theoretically make it use more data than an iPad would? There is no real correlation that has been established between type of OS and an increase or decrease in amount of data consumed relative to another OS.

As far as the apps vs web browser argument, I completely disagree that the website will usually be better than an app. The main purpose of an app is to tailor the design and functionality of the apps to the design and functionality of your device. The problem is that not all developers do this efficiently, resulting in a lot of apps that look like simple clones of the website. When done properly though, an app will be as good or better than the website.

Another important consideration is memory usage: depending on the kind of website, shrinking it down to a dedicated application may be more efficient for the hardware than using a full website. Look at Netflix for example. Theoretically, a web version would require Silverlight to be ported to the PlayBook. Then after that, there would have to be Silverlight running within the browser app itself (similarly to Flash running within the browser), which may consume even more memory than just having a single application running by itself. However, the app versions available on other platforms bypass that requirement, making it more feasible to watch Netflix on a mobile device. I know it's one random (and rather unique) example, but there are other cases in which it applies.

Another more reasonable example is MyFitnessPal. I use this site to keep track of what I eat. On the web version, I have to manually type in the name of the foods and search for them. On the mobile app, I can use my phone's camera to scan the barcodes on each food item, which is certainly more efficient than manually typing in each food. Typing each entry isn't necessarily difficult, but I can take my phone into the kitchen and scan everything, versus taking everything to where my computer is and trying to enter them in manually.

There are some cases where an app is unnecessary, and some cases where it makes a world of difference. Generally speaking, an app is going to be as good or better than a website if it's done properly. Besides, you can't get push email on a website
    02-08-12 01:54 AM
    What I was told, by a phone company employee, not a Blackberry fan BTW, was that Blackberry's compress data a lot better than other phones, its not a matter of one phone using more data, but of Blackberry's using LESS
    02-08-12 04:03 AM
    Just a little rectification to some comments above.

It's not the phone that uses less or more data. But actually has to do everything with the combination of the OS and the NOC infrastructure. It's this combination which keeps BB users data usage low.

First of all our internet is provided through RIM's infrastructure. So the data can be compressed. And luckily our Blackberries can decompress them. (OS + infrastructure)

Second is the implementation of push which also gives us an advantage. Our apps (apps that make use of the push infrastructure) don't have to constantly go and check for updates, messages, notifications, etc. ... So we don't generate unnecessary data.

And since with the playbook we bridge through our Berries, this is a clear advantage above expensive dataplans for the IPAD.

I believe that this smartphone and tablet experience is the way to go. As a service provider I would push my customers towards Blackberries because they are not as heavy on the network as other smartphones. So capacity issues would be less common and heavy investments aren't always necessary. It actually saves them and the customer money. WIN- WIN anyone?
    But offcourse the IPAD dataplans also make them earn a lot of money so the question is which direction do they want to go?
    rexrim and kbz1960 like this.
    02-08-12 05:18 AM
118 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD