so here's what I current play with -

PB from initial release and have a 32G and a 64G unit
    original Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
    iPad 2
    NEC LaVie - Win XP
    HP Slate 500 - Win7 touch
    Viliv N5 - Win 7 touch
    FusionGarage Grid 10 - Grid UI on top of Android OS (why? i don't know)
    Lenovo Thinkpad - Android
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9

PB is the favorite in portability and multitasking, the iPad/Thinkpad/Grid 10 all are too big. The GT 8.9 is the thinnest and just about the right screen size for me, even over the PB. I like the fast browsing, the available widgets and smaller sized icons on the GT 8.9. I'd like to see smaller sized icons on the PB.
    01-28-12 11:30 PM
    ive seen a lot of people saying they have like 3 or 4 tablets... just out of curiosity (and a bit off topic) why do you have so many?

I have my playbook and dont really see a need to have anything else.
    01-29-12 12:20 AM
    ive seen a lot of people saying they have like 3 or 4 tablets... just out of curiosity (and a bit off topic) why do you have so many?

Tablets are cute adult toys, and the more the merrier

I have a 7" Playbook for portability and a 10" Samsung 10.1 for more serious browsing and for watching Netflix, etc. The Playbook fits in my coat pocket and is convenient and fun. Browsing for me is easier on the Samsung's larger screen, although the Playbook browser is no slouch. Netflix is not available on the Playbook, of course, but in any case, I find the 10" screen easier on my eyes for movies. I prefer the Samsung to the iPad, but it would be silly to bash the iPad. I've tried it, and the iPad has a top-quality screen and build, not to mention the largest collection of apps in the industry.
    01-29-12 01:18 AM
    i own the ipad 1, an Asus transformer and a PB. Each has their advantages and disadvantages as most have mentioned but the big one for me and the Playbook is the portability. My ipad and asus have never left my house, and never will. My PB, stays in the glove box of my vehicle and gets used daily and has also travelled the world on all my vacations. My PB definitely gets used more than the others for me(which also doesn't mean it's better, but just suits me more).
    01-29-12 02:20 AM
    From a strictly subjective and non-techy POV, the PlayBook in my hand is like drinking from a Baccarat Dom Perignon Toasting Flute; the iPad is like drinking that same champagne from a Mason jar.
    gjohnsto and hpjrt like this.
    01-29-12 03:15 AM

When they were the same price, I debated and decided on the iPad. It exceeded my expectations in some areas, but missed in others.

When the PB dropped to $199, I reconsidered - but I'd spent too much on Xmas presents already. Then when the 64gb version was 299 at Staples, and just had a couple trips where I was lacking "connection", i decided WTF....

So, even now with the PB in my possession, when I travel, I debate whether I want to play (iPad) or do more work (PB). Why the difference?

On the iPad, I have my Time & Sports Illustrated mags, USA Today, and easy access to rented movies - all set before I leave/board a plane. All on the iPad, no connection required (ie many things can be set up to be handled offline). If I'm gonna be in transit a bunch, and want ultimate flexibility, PB gets the nod.

Of course, I've had the iPad 7+ mos, and the PB 3 weeks, so still absorbing the PB.
    Last edited by airjoe; 01-29-12 at 07:20 AM.
    01-29-12 07:14 AM
    so here's what I current play with -

PB from initial release and have a 32G and a 64G unit
    original Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
    iPad 2
    NEC LaVie - Win XP
    HP Slate 500 - Win7 touch
    Viliv N5 - Win 7 touch
    FusionGarage Grid 10 - Grid UI on top of Android OS (why? i don't know)
    Lenovo Thinkpad - Android
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9

PB is the favorite in portability and multitasking, the iPad/Thinkpad/Grid 10 all are too big. The GT 8.9 is the thinnest and just about the right screen size for me, even over the PB. I like the fast browsing, the available widgets and smaller sized icons on the GT 8.9. I'd like to see smaller sized icons on the PB.
    This is the type of consumerism that explains why we live on a doomed planet. Heck I'm by no means a 'greeny' (I work in mining) but we could all do with a little more restraint.
    01-29-12 08:57 AM
    I hope all companies would consider the cost to human life's over profitability..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...-in-china.html
    01-29-12 09:30 AM
    I had an iPad 32gb first gen. It was a very fine device, but at the time I got it, it was new to the market, and apps were just starting to get pushed out. At 599, for ANY tablet, is pushing it, but it was something new and had to try it out. It was a great device! It always ran consistently, no lags, no user interface twitching(something you see on pretty much ALL android devices). The one key segment that the iPad might revolutionize is iBooks. I hope it does because books college books are getting RIDICULOUSLY expensive and heavy!

As for their sizes, you shouldn't really compare the two as a this-or-that option. They are both variants of a tablet, that each provide the user a need for their requirement. For me, the screen size on the iPad was nice, but it was still too big for moving around, or while carrying books. The 7" PB is just about the perfect size for tablets imo. It's not too big, but not too small. It's easy to carry, and you don't have to worry as much about it breaking. I found my self REALLY needing the portability of a tablet that can do almost anything that a regular computer can do, at an affordable price, without charging an arm and a leg for it...the PB fits that need perfectly!

The PB is a great divide too. I've gotten to play with it for about ~3 hours even though I never owned one(should be here on tuesday). The user intercase precision instantly reminded me of that experience on the iOS devices- smooth, with no UI twitching(I HATE THAT TWITCHING CRAP!!) At the original price, I wouldn't get it over the iPad, but at the $300 price for the 64gb, it's just about a no-brainer.

So, if it came down to it, based on same price, I would get the iPad. at the current price difference, I would prefer to pay less and get the PB, but I would prefer to save the extra money and buy both The iPad3 will probably be pretty good, and offer the best screen. It will at least be worth it to try it out.

I guess that means that they are at a tie in my books. I like them both. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
    01-29-12 09:47 AM
    Thanks for the honesty.

I am in the same boat (as said before) because i LOVE my iphone 4 but stand by my PB 100%

What do you think made you choose the PB over the iPad? or at least to use it more?
    When I first started to consider a tablet I compared cost to specs, and at that time the PB was $500. So I was really heading toward the iPad. What kept my attention on the PB was its web browsing closest to a desktop, the ability to bridge and use the BB phone when no WiFi is available, and I don't care for non-standard ports. The PB uses micro USB and HDMI, plain and simple.

Then RIM had the sale for $299 and that pushed it over the edge, way over!
    The technology moves too fast and I tend to watch the investment, because I know I will want to upgrade later on as well.
    01-29-12 10:12 AM
    When they were the same price, I debated and decided on the iPad. It exceeded my expectations in some areas, but missed in others.

When the PB dropped to $199, I reconsidered - but I'd spent too much on Xmas presents already. Then when the 64gb version was 299 at Staples, and just had a couple trips where I was lacking "connection", i decided WTF....

So, even now with the PB in my possession, when I travel, I debate whether I want to play (iPad) or do more work (PB). Why the difference?

On the iPad, I have my Time & Sports Illustrated mags, USA Today, and easy access to rented movies - all set before I leave/board a plane. All on the iPad, no connection required (ie many things can be set up to be handled offline). If I'm gonna be in transit a bunch, and want ultimate flexibility, PB gets the nod.

Of course, I've had the iPad 7+ mos, and the PB 3 weeks, so still absorbing the PB.
    Nice. I hope you enjoy the PB as much as I am!

When I first started to consider a tablet I compared cost to specs, and at that time the PB was $500. So I was really heading toward the iPad. What kept my attention on the PB was its web browsing closest to a desktop, the ability to bridge and use the BB phone when no WiFi is available, and I don't care for non-standard ports. The PB uses micro USB and HDMI, plain and simple.

Then RIM had the sale for $299 and that pushed it over the edge, way over!
    The technology moves too fast and I tend to watch the investment, because I know I will want to upgrade later on as well.
    Exactly! I think that RIM can easily see that going price to price with the ipad wont work because of the 'brand' and history differences, as long as they dont lose money im sure they will do fine.
    01-29-12 01:34 PM
    I hope all companies would consider the cost to human life's over profitability..

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/bu...-in-china.html
    And this has what to do with the thread exactly? This is better left for a thread of its own so that I know not to enter it.
    01-29-12 02:16 PM
    I was debating the pros and cons of ipad vs playbook when i received the playbook as a gift from my boss for Christmas. I absolutely love it and use it for everything. I've stopped carting around my laptop and just throw my pb and ereader into a bag and away i go.

I think it's funny when people say though that the pb is an inferior product or that os2.0 should have been the os it was released with. I mean the first ipad couldn't even multitask and instead of a free software update to change that you had to buy another $500 product? It's a wonder to me that apple does as well as it does. Just shows what a great marketing dept. can do.
    01-29-12 02:53 PM
    I was debating the pros and cons of ipad vs playbook when i received the playbook as a gift from my boss for Christmas. I absolutely love it and use it for everything. I've stopped carting around my laptop and just throw my pb and ereader into a bag and away i go.

I think it's funny when people say though that the pb is an inferior product or that os2.0 should have been the os it was released with. I mean the first ipad couldn't even multitask and instead of a free software update to change that you had to buy another $500 product? It's a wonder to me that apple does as well as it does. Just shows what a great marketing dept. can do.
    What do you mean about buying another $500 device?
    01-29-12 05:19 PM
    What do you mean about buying another $500 device?
    i was under the impression that to get the multitasking you had to buy the ipad 2...i see that was incorrect. apparently you can download the ios5 for the ipad 1, but judging from one of the apple forums it tends to make them slow and buggy. i hope the bb 2.0 release doesn't cause the same problems for the playbook.
    01-29-12 09:21 PM

But Apple had an advantage: the lack of the number of competitors RIM has now.
    01-29-12 09:32 PM
    I will buy an ipad3. Those factories in China are worth investing in. It's worth the two explosions last year killed four people while injuring more than 75. Working excessive overtime without a single day off during the week, living together in crowded dormitories and standing so long that their legs swell and they can hardly walk after a 24-hour shift.

Yep. Ipads are worth every penny

The cost of an ipad to make is under $50 each. With $1 an hour for labor the amount of material that goes into a freaking ipad is so low. The markup is rutarded. I for one think RIM made the right move bringing the price of a Playbook down to earth.
    Last edited by VanCity778; 01-29-12 at 10:14 PM.
    01-29-12 09:41 PM

I have three, all a different OS. I'm a tech junkie and all were gifts from my lovely spouse who knows I have the interest. Since they're different platforms, and the iPad is larger, I use them a little differently, although there is an overlap too. I have taken my iPad to meetings and used my wireless keyboard to type, but I find the keyboard fussy and the Bluetooth does use battery life. I'd rather just use the iPad's virtual keyboard. I would rather be able to use a plug in mini usb but also smaller keyboard for taking notes, using the PB, though I am exploring if my little Tab's USB port would do it out of box. I don't think the PB's mini USB will do that, right? (new user here of both the Tab and PB; the iPad of course does not have USB ports). But I have a small enough bag that it all could fit in without extra bulk, and I have a universal stand that conforms to whatever size/width I need. And I could see the screen well enough, so it would be the ultimate in a portable pacakge. If push came to shove, I think I *almost* could type on the PB or even the Tab's virtual keyboard, but probably not for a long meeting with a lot of notes, though I don't mind doing e-mail with either, with the iPad virtual keyboard of course being easiest.
    Okay-do I need all three-no. But I do actually USE them all
    Last edited by Playberry1010; 01-29-12 at 10:00 PM.
    01-29-12 09:57 PM
    Yes - there is that too! lol. i'm not sure but i think that apple was also the first to really come out with the whole finger swipe thing which made a huge difference in the tablet experience. I had a palm pilot and i remember having to learn how to 'write' in a whole new shorthand with the stylus.

As i received mine as a gift i would have been as amazed and delighted with whichever i had gotten - but i'm glad it was a playbook!
    01-29-12 10:25 PM
    i think that is a HUGE part of it!
    01-30-12 12:53 AM
    ive been meaning to add this as another PRO for PB...

When I hold it in Portrait mode I can EASILY type just as fast as with the touch screen on my iphone... i think that is a MAJOR plus over bigger sized tablets.

now to get BBM on it...
    01-30-12 01:00 PM
    Well, ive only been using my PB for about an hour now, but I am thouroughly impressed... makes me wonder why isnt this tablet more popular?!?

i have an ipad2 (and iphone4) but have recently been looking for a 7" tablet to use at the office and to carry around. (the ipad is too big). I have owned and returned a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy Tab Plus 7", HTC Evo View 4G, and a Motorola Xyboard 8.2. The problem was that none of them had the fit and finish of Apple, ie Android wasnt my forte. However this Playbook is showing GREAT promise, as it is awesome so far!
    01-30-12 01:14 PM
    Well, ive only been using my PB for about an hour now, but I am thouroughly impressed... makes me wonder why isnt this tablet more popular?!?

i have an ipad2 (and iphone4) but have recently been looking for a 7" tablet to use at the office and to carry around. (the ipad is too big). I have owned and returned a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7", Galaxy Tab Plus 7", HTC Evo View 4G, and a Motorola Xyboard 8.2. The problem was that none of them had the fit and finish of Apple, ie Android wasnt my forte. However this Playbook is showing GREAT promise, as it is awesome so far!
    i think the promised features were hyped up and when they werent delivered got it a lot of bad press. I bought it knowing what it could do (and i have an iphone4 just like you so i cant use bridge) and i am 500% satisfied lol
    01-30-12 01:23 PM
    I have been driving through Saigon, Hanoi an other towns in Vietnam and only spotted the BlackBerry logo once. Apple stores and iPhone + iPad signs are common. I'm not sure if they are selling genuine Apple products. I bought my wife a Rolex watch for $30. we negotiated down from a million dong. The first watch couldn't be set. The second sees to work. Rolex is #1 said the sales girl. It was my wife's birthday - she's worth spending million on. Alas I think the name BlackBerry is too long for the Vietnamese to recognize and the berry logo is likely baffling. Yet I read that sales are growing in Asia. The only BlackBerry Playbook in sight was mine - but lots of stares. I think few can buy more than a cheap Nokia or Chinese imitations. Only in Saigon was modern products and wealth evident - but they are moving up fast.
    01-31-12 02:29 AM
    A few more drives across Saigon and country-side, I still saw only one BlackBerry logo. But when I asked my tour guide - and showed him my BlackBerry 9600 - he told me that BlackBerry is very popular in Vietnam in the business community - the rich folks.

It sells via Brightstar Corp and the Nov. 4, 2011 release of BlackBerry Bold 9900 was at a price tag of 15,750,000 VND (Dongs). That's $750 US. This would be too rich for most Vietnamese. Playbook would be in the same dilemma - way outside the price range of the population. They can buy a Chinese motorcycle for $300.
    02-02-12 11:51 AM
118 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD