I heard lawyers like the fart apps!!
    01-28-12 10:47 AM
    Let us be fair, beyond screen size, other viable reasons to go ipad is the sheer number of high quality apps, battery life that is nearly double Playbook's. 3G connectivity is nothing to sneeze at either. When you disregard these as benefits, you admit to simple needs, and that is fine, but some require more.

While many on this forum would have you believe that iPad comes with just two flavors of apps (angry birds & 'fart apps') people in the music, legal, engineering & medical & financial areas will attest otherwise.

Agreed.

Still, that is not something some will want to hear, so go with it: iOS has only games and flatulence utilities.
    01-28-12 10:51 AM
    I also have both but if really February there will be a launch that can support android apps then I believe PB would be a lot better IMO due to portability and the only lacking is apps... but as said to each its own but i am glad PB has a calculator compared to ipad which is built in
    01-28-12 10:57 AM
    Yes, well said. You simply cannot ignore the sheer volume, depth and high quality Apps that are available in the iTunes App Store. Developers making software will drive hardware platforms, and developers are leaking like a sieve from the Blackberry platform. It will be even harder to retain and acquire new developers during an OS transition. RIM is doing what it needs to do, I just hope they can execute.

Let us be fair, beyond screen size, other viable reasons to go ipad is the sheer number of high quality apps, battery life that is nearly double Playbook's. 3G connectivity is nothing to sneeze at either. When you disregard these as benefits, you admit to simple needs, and that is fine, but some require more.

While many on this forum would have you believe that iPad comes with just two flavors of apps (angry birds & 'fart apps') people in the music, legal, engineering & medical & financial areas will attest otherwise.
    dobiefan and app_Developer like this.
    01-28-12 10:58 AM

Rather embarrassing to admit that my kids downloaded both Angry Birds and a farting App onto my PB. They wanted me to get an iPad - now I know why.
    Gachina likes this.
    01-28-12 11:10 AM
    ^^^ lol

I disagree with this. First, if the playbook was meant to be an add on to an existing BBs 3G connection then it will have 3G if you have a BB and if you dont have one, like I do, you are agreeing on not needing 3G when you purchase the item. There are many items that come in wifi OR 3G versions because a lot of people do not need 3G. If I am always at work or home and the only time I do not have wifi is in transit then I wouldnt be using ANY tablet to access info at that time anyways.

As for the 'high quality apps' I agree that there are many very good apps for iOS. My uncle is an architect and there are some pretty amazing apps that he has that can render drawings and all kinds of jazz but there are also A LOT of apps that only exist to fill the holes of an improper internet browsing experience, not to mention the fact that a vast majority of the apps are just clones of each other. I dont need 3 000 clock apps to go with my 10 000 flashlight apps. Quality over Quantity (im not saying App World has SUPER AMAZING CRAZY APPS... but having to do hours of research to find which flashlight app is actually worth it, and then use it maybe a dozen times seems like a drawback to me)

And the battery... I read for 2 - 4 hours a night on my PB, which means it is always on (after 'regular daily use'). It can last two to three days without a recharge and on standby for that whole time. So that is anywhere from 6 - 12 hours of constant use plus another 2 - 6 of daily use plus 40 - 68 hours of standby time. Pretty sure that is good battery life.

Again, I am NOT a BB/PB fanboy bc I have said in almost all my posts (when relevant) that I have an iPhone because I thought it was of better value/use to me than a BB, but for people to spend 3x the money on an iPad for things that they think make it better without doing any research or looking for any information is the reason why angry birds and casual gaming apps sell so well on the iPad... its either (as you said) doctors/lawyers who buy them or families with money to throw away (why they dont buy a DS for $160 and use the same functions is beyond me)
    Last edited by FSeverino; 01-28-12 at 12:00 PM.
    pob75 likes this.
    01-28-12 11:57 AM
    The only people that seem to complain about the fatigue of going through a million apps to find one are BlackBerry users.

It takes literally two minutes to find an app in the Android Market. Most of that time would be needed to check out reviews. Heck, you can even tweet or google the app beforehand and download it direct to the device.

Where are these iOS/Android users that take hours to research apps? That is not how it works in the real world. If I had to spend more than 5 minutes on a flashlight app, I have more problems than that flashlight app can help with.

But, back to the topic: there are a couple of reasons one might pick an iOS device over any other device, and it is important to a lot of people: resale value. How does the PB fare in this regard? I truly do not know.
    01-28-12 12:27 PM
    I downloaded 5 flahlight apps and 3 battery apps before i found the two that i needed. So 2 for 8 is 25%. Like i said, i have an iphone (am typing this using it now) so i know how flooded the iOS market is.

I will post my resale info here later, busy now
    01-28-12 12:31 PM
    Oh please, quality over quantity? The exact same argument can be made, if not more to the point, about the BB App World. Percentage to percentage, the App World has the same amount of low quality clock apps, flashlight apps, etc - if not more garbage. Not to mention the store is flooded with thousands of skins. What's the number >10%? Enough said...

Let's stop being so close minded. It's this kind of tree from the forest thinking that led BB down this rat hole, and why two CEO's were just let go. I am glad Android and iOS sprouted, otherwise, we would still be on OS 4.

And as someone who has a mobile development studio who has been building iOS and Android products for 3 years now, I still have absolutely no reason to jump on the BB platform.

To be clear, I have owned a BB since the 7800c, and it still is the only phone that allows me to stay in contact with people 24/7 - efficiently - no matter what the medium. It just sickens me to see this community so close minded. Were you guys all brain washed by Mike and Jim?

^^^ lol

I disagree with this. First, if the playbook was meant to be an add on to an existing BBs 3G connection then it will have 3G if you have a BB and if you dont have one, like I do, you are agreeing on not needing 3G when you purchase the item. There are many items that come in wifi OR 3G versions because a lot of people do not need 3G. If I am always at work or home and the only time I do not have wifi is in transit then I wouldnt be using ANY tablet to access info at that time anyways.

As for the 'high quality apps' I agree that there are many very good apps for iOS. My uncle is an architect and there are some pretty amazing apps that he has that can render drawings and all kinds of jazz but there are also A LOT of apps that only exist to fill the holes of an improper internet browsing experience, not to mention the fact that a vast majority of the apps are just clones of each other. I dont need 3 000 clock apps to go with my 10 000 flashlight apps. Quality over Quantity (im not saying App World has SUPER AMAZING CRAZY APPS... but having to do hours of research to find which flashlight app is actually worth it, and then use it maybe a dozen times seems like a drawback to me)

And the battery... I read for 2 - 4 hours a night on my PB, which means it is always on (after 'regular daily use'). It can last two to three days without a recharge and on standby for that whole time. So that is anywhere from 6 - 12 hours of constant use plus another 2 - 6 of daily use plus 40 - 68 hours of standby time. Pretty sure that is good battery life.

Again, I am NOT a BB/PB fanboy bc I have said in almost all my posts (when relevant) that I have an iPhone because I thought it was of better value/use to me than a BB, but for people to spend 3x the money on an iPad for things that they think make it better without doing any research or looking for any information is the reason why angry birds and casual gaming apps sell so well on the iPad... its either (as you said) doctors/lawyers who buy them or families with money to throw away (why they dont buy a DS for $160 and use the same functions is beyond me)
    blacksea07 likes this.
    01-28-12 01:15 PM
    I think you have to be careful talking about brainwashing. Apple has done a very good job at that. People seem to lust after the iphone and ipad without really knowing what they do. The allure of that will wear off after everyone at the party has played with Siri and such. Most smartphones are like digital cameras. The vast majority just want to send a text, take a picture or make a phone call. A basic digital camera has way more modes and features than most people can even fathom. They just want basic services. For now apple has got the brand but remember, it wasn't that many years ago that Steve Jobs was banished, apple was almost dead because it wasn't open with its operating system. Then Jobs came back and the resurgeance bagan. As any tech company they are one step away from having a major issue with a product and they could have problems. There is zero error in execution for them. They only have one (latest and greatest) phone so if they ever miss executing or have security or other issues, they are one step away from having problems. Most hardware companies have a breadth of product. To me it is Apple's achilles heel and they must be very careful. So, all in all, we get products that do way more than the majority of consumers need or require but that appeal to us emotionally. I remember being younger when the Sony walkman came out. Everyone had to have one and Sony was known for higher than average quality. Now where is Sony? Just another consumer tech company having major issues with its Bravia tv quality. So, apple is doing great and better than RIM at present but the turn of the screw can happen quickly and in a fashion that no one of us can predict. A virus attack on the iphone could quickly put Apple in a defensive position as there is no other product in their line to go to. They are a one product company in their lines. One phone, one ipad, one ipod touch. As for new and improved, there is only so far one can go with processing power and existing battery technology. Until the new battery tech comes along to revolutionize our world, we are close to the limits of what a tablet and smart phone device can do without having to be charged up every day.
    01-28-12 02:45 PM
    Everybody has a different reason to choose and ipad or a BB. Here's mine. I run a service business, its not unusual for me to go do an estimate, take pictures, enter info into an excel spreadsheet, than use the totals to construct the proposal. Send the proposal by email (because the playbook is bridged to my phone and I'm in the country with no wi fi)

On a job, find damage that the homeowner didn't konw about. Take video and post it to a secure youtube channel that can only be accessed through the link that I emailed. (no wifi again, had to bridge and got the extra work)

Using a new tool, take a video load it to youtube, write a guest blog post and load it to Google docs for the host to approve or edit. (approved and posted) Again....you gussed it, no wifi had to bridge.

I know what I am talking about is something most of your will not have to deal with. But we are trying to get to the point where don't have to carry a phone, camera, day planner, laptop and mp3 player. A point where one tool (actually two, playbook and phone) allows you to carry less. I can't worry about not getting things out in a timely fashion because there is no coffee shop or library with wifi. I run a business and wasting time trying to find a place to make a tablet work is not an option. It needs to work where my phone does. It save me time and makes me money.

Maybe it can, but does an ipad offer business people that luxury?

( I know, it's a narrow niche)
    Last edited by Dale Thomas; 01-28-12 at 03:34 PM.
    01-28-12 03:32 PM
    No, it's not. This is a great use case, thanks for sharing. How is the support for Google Docs - spreadsheet - is it fully compatible and responsive?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Dale Thomas likes this.
    01-28-12 03:56 PM
    Playbook is the absolute perfect size. I would shoot for 1920x1080 and backing off the bezel by about .25" on each side. That would be my perfect next Playbook model.
    01-28-12 04:19 PM
    Oh please, quality over quantity? The exact same argument can be made, if not more to the point, about the BB App World. Percentage to percentage, the App World has the same amount of low quality clock apps, flashlight apps, etc - if not more garbage. Not to mention the store is flooded with thousands of skins. What's the number >10%? Enough said...

Let's stop being so close minded. It's this kind of tree from the forest thinking that led BB down this rat hole, and why two CEO's were just let go. I am glad Android and iOS sprouted, otherwise, we would still be on OS 4.

And as someone who has a mobile development studio who has been building iOS and Android products for 3 years now, I still have absolutely no reason to jump on the BB platform.

To be clear, I have owned a BB since the 7800c, and it still is the only phone that allows me to stay in contact with people 24/7 - efficiently - no matter what the medium. It just sickens me to see this community so close minded. Were you guys all brain washed by Mike and Jim?

Love to hear about uses like this... great solutions.

I think what most BB-PB owners forget when they think of bridging as a tool is that other platforms allow for multi-device hotspot. Now, for a guy like me, with a household of devices on the go, this is BIG.

For singular use, bridge is fantastic. Great idea.
    01-28-12 05:34 PM

just to be clear i did say that the app world didnt have the best apps, so basically your whole post is invalid. also, how can i be brainwashed if this is the first BB device that ive owned? if anything this proves the opposite,that i do have an open mind,because i try out different devices.

interesting side note, ny boss just bragged to me about another place that he went to see because it looked so good and professional with the all white macs and that we shoukd look into getting the same thing because they dont get viruses... and BB users are brainwashed??? lol
    01-28-12 06:07 PM
    Everybody has a different reason to choose and ipad or a BB. Here's mine. I run a service business, its not unusual for me to go do an estimate, take pictures, enter info into an excel spreadsheet, than use the totals to construct the proposal. Send the proposal by email (because the playbook is bridged to my phone and I'm in the country with no wi fi)

On a job, find damage that the homeowner didn't konw about. Take video and post it to a secure youtube channel that can only be accessed through the link that I emailed. (no wifi again, had to bridge and got the extra work)

Using a new tool, take a video load it to youtube, write a guest blog post and load it to Google docs for the host to approve or edit. (approved and posted) Again....you gussed it, no wifi had to bridge.

I know what I am talking about is something most of your will not have to deal with. But we are trying to get to the point where don't have to carry a phone, camera, day planner, laptop and mp3 player. A point where one tool (actually two, playbook and phone) allows you to carry less. I can't worry about not getting things out in a timely fashion because there is no coffee shop or library with wifi. I run a business and wasting time trying to find a place to make a tablet work is not an option. It needs to work where my phone does. It save me time and makes me money.

Maybe it can, but does an ipad offer business people that luxury?

( I know, it's a narrow niche)
    Meant to quote you with my last post...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Dale Thomas likes this.
    01-28-12 06:12 PM
    No, it's not. This is a great use case, thanks for sharing. How is the support for Google Docs - spreadsheet - is it fully compatible and responsive?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Google docs works ok, at least you can edit excel docs with it. Wish that there was a full featured excel and word editing app on the playbook. To be honest, that should have been incorporated from the start.
    01-28-12 06:59 PM
    I have a 32g 3g white Ipad and I don't use it!

The PB is perfect for all my daily needs and so much easier to navigate from email to music to web etc.

The Ipad is too big for rapid use on the go.

When I need horsepower I turn to my trusted carbon Fibre 13.3 Sony laptop which knocks spots off the Ipad for speed and power!

Ipad is only good if you are in the Office,StarBucks or on a Boat!
    So I suppose you'll want to get rid of your iPad? Let me know how much you want for it. I know a bunch of people that will take it off your hands for a discounted price.
    01-28-12 07:54 PM
    Curious, why do you use the iPad for browsing "hands down"? A lot of the posts are saying the PlayBook has a faster browser?

I don't own a PB, but I am considering it, so this comment jumped out for me. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
    Just to respond to this. When browsing, I'm on forums, shopping, looking stuff up, etc. I find the screen much more useable due to the size. The speed difference is relatively negligible for my use. Not having flash on the iPad IS irritating on about 1 of 20 sites.

Edit: further explanation - I think the aspect ratio of the iPad lends itself to more natural vertical scrolling (for me); thus why i use it for 95% of my browsing.

I like both. I bought the iPad first, and it didn't really fill my work needs, as a long-time BB user (in fact I hate the iPhone cuz I hate the keypad). But there really are some nice apps. Some suck, of course. Then I got the PB when prices dropped. And it's very nice, solid & powerful, and I really like the bridge (I travel a lot, particularly overseas). But the apps, like for the BB, just pale in comparison. No, apps aren't everything - but a good app will be more efficient than browser ( in general, IMO ).

I have to admit being amused at the passion to the point of appearing completely un-objective of some people on this forum. The devices are what they are. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Some strengths are more important to some than others, and vice versa. Figure out what works for you, and get over what other people may think of you for it...
    Last edited by airjoe; 01-28-12 at 09:34 PM.
    blacksea07 likes this.
    01-28-12 09:08 PM
    Just to respond to this. When browsing, I'm on forums, shopping, looking stuff up, etc. I find the screen much more useable due to the size. The speed difference is relatively negligible for my use. Not having flash on the iPad IS irritating on about 1 of 20 sites.

Edit: further explanation - I think the aspect ratio of the iPad lends itself to more natural vertical scrolling (for me); thus why i use it for 95% of my browsing.

I like both. I bought the iPad first, and it didn't really fill my work needs, as a long-time BB user (in fact I hate the iPhone cuz I hate the keypad). But there really are some nice apps. Some suck, of course. Then I got the PB when prices dropped. And it's very nice, solid & powerful, and I really like the bridge (I travel a lot, particularly overseas). But the apps, like for the BB, just pale in comparison. No, apps aren't everything - but a good app will be more efficient than browser ( in general, IMO ).

I have to admit being amused at the passion to the point of appearing completely un-objective of some people on this forum. The devices are what they are. Both have strengths and weaknesses. Some strengths are more important to some than others, and vice versa. Figure out what works for you, and get over what other people may think of you for it...
    Agreed... I think there are Pros and Cons for both, but some of the arguments for/against either device are just not good enough. Although I would say that the list of Pros vs the price of the iPad is a turn off for me.
    01-28-12 09:41 PM
    Price is a no-no for me to with regards to the iPad. All things being equal, I do understand why a lot of people would pick it over other devices. it can be such a workhorse.
    01-28-12 10:17 PM
    Price is a no-no for me to with regards to the iPad. All things being equal, I do understand why a lot of people would pick it over other devices. it can be such a workhorse.
    But is the price vs the amount of work it can produce worth it?

I can do EVERYTHING that a business requires on the PB that i paid $330 for (with tax)...
    can the iPad do DOUBLE that?
    YorkieRay likes this.
    01-28-12 10:32 PM
    But is the price vs the amount of work it can produce worth it?

I can do EVERYTHING that a business requires on the PB that i paid $330 for (with tax)...
    can the iPad do DOUBLE that?
    Depends on the user. For me, it just isn't worth it priced as-is

For my line of work, I get more bang for my buck from a rooted Nook Color. I depend heavily on cloud computing and social networking apps. So, like you, more expensive tablets do not fit my business needs.

In all fairness, I have invested a lot in Android's ecosystem, so it wasn't that hard.
    01-28-12 10:40 PM
    good thread . and a honest one for a start.
    when i saw pb vs ipad i said not again. but this one is different .
    ipad has its good too . but not for me .
    i also show the pb at work and people go; whats that.
    one of my coworkers bought one and her son was like : no get an ipad. she still bought the pb. now she tells me . her son doesnt like the ipad anymore. he always takes her pb.
    keep showing it .

and remenber the pb is still a baby
    Agreed, it's threads like this that stay away from bashing and discuss products for what they are. I myself LOVE Apple products. At home we have most of the iFamily of Apple stuff.
    I however, bought myself the Playbook. I like the size, love the quality, I am impressed with the resolution, and totally with it on the bridging capability.
    I also spent over a $100, less on the pair, (PB + 9360). I'm not a tremendous app user, and haven't come across any issues. There are a lot more PB apps then there were Mac SW when I first went to a Mac.
    01-28-12 10:52 PM
    Agreed, it's threads like this that stay away from bashing and discuss products for what they are. I myself LOVE Apple products. At home we have most of the iFamily of Apple stuff.
    I however, bought myself the Playbook. I like the size, love the quality, I am impressed with the resolution, and totally with it on the bridging capability.
    I also spent over a $100, less on the pair, (PB + 9360). I'm not a tremendous app user, and haven't come across any issues. There are a lot more PB apps then there were Mac SW when I first went to a Mac.
    Thanks for the honesty.

I am in the same boat (as said before) because i LOVE my iphone 4 but stand by my PB 100%

What do you think made you choose the PB over the iPad? or at least to use it more?
    01-28-12 10:54 PM
118 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD