Just something I thought I would share, and maybe discuss...

I bought my PB when the Nov. sale happened and I also bought one fr my brother and gf (both bday and xmas gifts combined for both). My uncle and cousin both bought iPads at the same time. We traded them during the holiday get together and as of last week BOTH my uncle and cousin have purchased PBs as well as two of my other uncles that used my PB that day.

The PB ay not have sold well in the start, but it is picking up A LOT of steam BECAUSE of he sale and getting units in peoples hands. I show my PB to EVERYONE and if everyone else does the same im sure we can get some TRUE publicity for this product.

I will recommend this to ANYONE (especially the 64GB for $300)

- Browser rocks (compared to other mobile devices)
    - Quality is top notch (IMO)
    - Price is very affordable for the great specs you get
    - QNX is GREAT
    - LOTS MORE!

What do you think (I know this mayhas been done before, but I think that it would be cool to share 'conversion' stories)
    KOOLWATER likes this.
    01-26-12 11:04 PM
    I love my PlayBook.
    Some people say "its so small I don't like it". Those same people however keep their iPads at home. Even then they will find themselves finding best signal for a decent wifi connection (kinda hard to find in my school) . I can bridge my pb to my bb smartphone and km browsing the Internet. <3 my PlayBook and I won't ever trade it for an ipad.
    Kevstra likes this.
    01-26-12 11:23 PM
    The Kindle Fire better watch its back. For that extra $100, I think most people who handle both side by side will see that the PlayBook is the better buy (after OS 2.0 is released, or even now..). After we get the Android App Player running some of the "big name apps" people have been begging for, other than brand or size preference, I don't see how the iPad2 would have anything to make a PlayBook owner envious..
    01-26-12 11:32 PM
    I have a 32g 3g white Ipad and I don't use it!

The PB is perfect for all my daily needs and so much easier to navigate from email to music to web etc.

The Ipad is too big for rapid use on the go.

When I need horsepower I turn to my trusted carbon Fibre 13.3 Sony laptop which knocks spots off the Ipad for speed and power!

Ipad is only good if you are in the Office,StarBucks or on a Boat!
    01-26-12 11:33 PM
    Well, if you like a bigger size (and a lot of people do) and apps, apps, apps, the iPad is for you. If you want the portability, the incredible QNX platform and the good stuff a comin' in February (like I do), you want the PlayBook. You know what the french say,"chacun � son go�t," which, roughly translated, means "if you've got gout, you probably aren't worried too much about what tablet to get."
    Last edited by barskin; 01-26-12 at 11:52 PM.
    01-26-12 11:34 PM
    Playbook>ipad>galaxy>kindle fire>nook
    01-26-12 11:38 PM
    Yup as barskin said, some prefer the 10" form factor, for me the 7" is a better fit, but beyond that playbook wins hands down.
    01-26-12 11:48 PM
    Yup as barskin said, some prefer the 10" form factor, for me the 7" is a better fit, but beyond that playbook wins hands down.
    Yeah, you can't knock people who want the bigger screen; I, however, carry my PB with me constantly, and the 7" size just fits me right, too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-26-12 11:55 PM
    Yea, the only thing I see as a viable option to go iPad over Playbook is the screen size.

But i use mine A LOT for reading and music. So for me it is PERFECT.

Also, the iPad screen is bigger.. but does it really matter how big your angry birds are, bc really thats what the 'cool' people use it for.

Productivity with the Playbook is just crazy.
    01-27-12 12:13 AM
    Regarding the larger screen size, it doesn't help much if the resolution isn't significantly higher. As it stands, at 1024x768 the iPad's screen is just 21% larger (in terms of resolution) than the PB's. And with a lower dpi, it's actually a "poorer" image. People are constantly lauding the PB's screen, and for good reason: It's one of the brightest, clearest panels on the market (and a major reason why the PB feels like such a quality device). iPad 3's "retina" display may make this moot, but for now at least it's still true.

Of course, for me the real draw - like so many others - is the portability. I spent some quality time with a Tab 10.1 and it always felt a bit too bulky to use comfortably on the road. Every time I pulled it out while sitting in the car outside a McDonald's or Starbucks I found myself struggling to juggle its size against the steering, dash, etc. Also, trying to find someplace safe to stick the thing between uses became an exercise in "which spot am I most likely not to step-on/whack-against/spill something on" while driving.

By contrast, when I'm done wit the PB it goes back into my nice Case Logic clam shell and then slips into the door sill pocket - or glove box, or center console storage, etc. Very flexible size and much more practical for real on-the-go computing.

RCK
    01-27-12 01:26 AM
    I use my PB at meetings. i crack up inside as i watch peoples reaction when i pull it out and open up evernote and start using all the cool features. Or when i open up Bluebox to connect to my Dropbox account to pull up different documents. Even when I'm sitting around surfing the web, answering emails all with a game running my ipad, iphone co workers are really impressed. Can't wait for 2.0.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    01-27-12 04:56 AM
    I really don't understand all the comparisons between the Playbook and the iPad. They are very different devices and tend to be used very differently. From what I have read a lot of people own both devices. You might as well compare a motorcycle and a truck. Both have their purposes but the motorcycle is more fun.
    01-27-12 07:32 AM
    My wife has an iphone. She likes it and it works for her. Whenever I ask her why she doesnt want to switch to a BB her response is "Does BB have the same games?". Not form factor - not OS - not battery life and not anything else. Games.

I think that sums it up right there.
    01-27-12 07:37 AM
    playbook rocks.

i have a couple of friends who switched to playbook from ipad cause their major use was browsing and the playbook beats ipad any given day in that department.
    01-27-12 07:44 AM
    good thread . and a honest one for a start.
    when i saw pb vs ipad i said not again. but this one is different .
    ipad has its good too . but not for me .
    i also show the pb at work and people go; whats that.
    one of my coworkers bought one and her son was like : no get an ipad. she still bought the pb. now she tells me . her son doesnt like the ipad anymore. he always takes her pb.
    keep showing it .

and remenber the pb is still a baby
    01-27-12 07:49 AM
    My wife has an iphone. She likes it and it works for her. Whenever I ask her why she doesnt want to switch to a BB her response is "Does BB have the same games?". Not form factor - not OS - not battery life and not anything else. Games.

I think that sums it up right there.
    I always say this to my fiance who always argue with me that she wants to get an i4 despite having a 9900 already now.
    01-27-12 08:05 AM
    Well, if you like a bigger size (and a lot of people do) and apps, apps, apps, the iPad is for you. If you want the portability, the incredible QNX platform and the good stuff a comin' in February (like I do), you want the PlayBook. You know what the french say,"chacun � son go�t," which, roughly translated, means "if you've got gout, you probably aren't worried too much about what tablet to get."
    Absolutely agree.

BTW "chacun a son gout" it�s more like "each one has its preference"
    01-27-12 08:09 AM
    I own both and both have their strength and weakness and I do carry both daily.
    01-27-12 08:45 AM
    I own both and both have their strength and weakness and I do carry both daily.
    I have both as well. And you're right. I use my iPad more for browsing hands down. And there are some GREAT iPad apps, and access to movies is easier. Likewise, the bridge, portability, email/calendar, etc is better of the PB. It all depends on how you use a tablet i find the "extreme" comments are rarely wholly objective...
    01-27-12 10:37 AM
    Yea it seems that another 'plus' is the 'amazing' apps for iPad. But other then a very select few I dont see the need for an 'app' when you can just use the website.

Actually, IMO the PB shows a progression away from 'apps' in favour of actually using the internet as it is supposed to be used. For example I dont need a gmail or dropbox app bc I can just go to the site and use it as it is, where as (at least in my experience) the iPad is so inferior at doing this that the flashy apps are created to put some sparkle on something that is actually a flaw in my eyes. In other words, why should I have 15 icons on my home screen when I can just have the internet icon that would then allow me to go to all 15 of those sites???

Again, the portability is HUGE for me, and most people. I have a sony PRS-300 ereader and the PB is about 3x as heavy (both with leather cases), which isnt that much at all bc the ereader is incredibly light, yet i can do soooo much more on it and it was only $100 more than the newest ereaders on the market when I was looking for an upgrade.

summing it up so far... I think the PB should have been called JACKPOT lol
    Papa_Dios, bigbmc26 and imacj like this.
    01-27-12 11:45 AM
    Curious, why do you use the iPad for browsing "hands down"? A lot of the posts are saying the PlayBook has a faster browser?

I don't own a PB, but I am considering it, so this comment jumped out for me. Thanks in advance for clarifying.

I have both as well. And you're right. I use my iPad more for browsing hands down. And there are some GREAT iPad apps, and access to movies is easier. Likewise, the bridge, portability, email/calendar, etc is better of the PB. It all depends on how you use a tablet i find the "extreme" comments are rarely wholly objective...
    01-27-12 10:22 PM
    Curious, why do you use the iPad for browsing "hands down"? A lot of the posts are saying the PlayBook has a faster browser?

I don't own a PB, but I am considering it, so this comment jumped out for me. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
    Although I cant answer for that poster... I do know that all the people that i mentioned in the original post have told me the opposite. In fact, my uncle had to download Splashtop on his iPad because his wife could not watch tv episodes off of CTV.ca (or other websites) but splashtop limited her to watching those episodes at her own house which she could have done on her computer anyways. When he unboxed his playbook the first thing I told him to do was go watch a tv episode on CTV.ca and he sent me a text saying that I should have told him to buy a Playbook before he bought splashtop for his iPad. Now my aunt asks to take the PB to work instead of the iPad so that she can watch an episode during her lunch break. [Another great example of why the 'there are no apps' argument is invalid. If you do everything properly apps should just be add ons and not the main features of the device]

Again, that is only what I have heard and everyone has their own opinions...
    pbmc and jooze like this.
    01-27-12 11:12 PM

I cant understand what he means either, playbook is a bit faster then ipad in browsing...
    01-27-12 11:20 PM
    the only reason I can see is, again, the bigger screen will show more info... but if thats for using wiki or info based websites then it doesnt really matter how many words you can see bc you can only read so many at a time and having 500 or 200 words on the screen doesnt change that fact
    01-27-12 11:22 PM
    Yea, the only thing I see as a viable option to go iPad over Playbook is the screen size.

But i use mine A LOT for reading and music. So for me it is PERFECT.

Also, the iPad screen is bigger.. but does it really matter how big your angry birds are, bc really thats what the 'cool' people use it for.

Productivity with the Playbook is just crazy.
    Let us be fair, beyond screen size, other viable reasons to go ipad is the sheer number of high quality apps, battery life that is nearly double Playbook's. 3G connectivity is nothing to sneeze at either. When you disregard these as benefits, you admit to simple needs, and that is fine, but some require more.

While many on this forum would have you believe that iPad comes with just two flavors of apps (angry birds & 'fart apps') people in the music, legal, engineering & medical & financial areas will attest otherwise.
    01-28-12 10:41 AM
118 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD