Hi all,
    i know there are many threads about playbook vs?? but on a search yesterday i couldn't see what i was after,
    i am looking at a price of �40-50 which would get a decent used bbpb Or a new generic android 4+ 9" tablet, specs wise they are pretty much the same, just different screen size,
    mainly used for browsing, usual social media, a few doc's etc.(downloaded step by step images before for use when out fixing the car) and a few games, a Fair bit of Soundcloud use, my girls have a cheap �30 android 7" tablet and is a pretty decent bit of kit, but i do prefer a larger screen,
    my Heart says Playbook every time but head says android?? which would you choose???

many thanks in advance,
    06-08-14 03:08 PM
    I'm still using my PlayBook daily (in fact I'm posting from it now). The browser is slow compared to other stuff out now, but I just love the os. The app situation is also pretty bleak, but I'm not much of an app guy. It depends mostly on what you're going to use it for, and how much app flexibility you want. As much as I like my PB (I've also got a brand new iPad Mini, but I still prefer my PB), it's a dead-end device that I'd have a hard time recommending to a new buyer. I've never used any newer android-based tabs, so I can't compare the PB browser to any of them. If you can find one cheap and are ok with it being basically unsupported beyond what's already written for it, the PB is still a rock-solid tab.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-08-14 03:45 PM
    I think the Windows tablets is the way to go for a productivity device.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    06-08-14 03:47 PM
    I think the Windows tablets is the way to go for a productivity device.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3175
    The Toshiba Encore 8" Windows 8.1 tablet has some nice features and is fairly easy to use until you get to the Desktop view. A desktop version for the 8" size needs to be developed to allow easier use without hooking up to a large monitor. It should be possible to automatically double text size to allow better use of the small screen. And that applies to the ribbons. A desktop module should also be possible with buttons to set up views for specific tasks. If this is possible with the Toshiba I haven't figured it out yet. The ten inch size as with the HP Omni is easier to use. And of course the Windows Pro 3 with regular Intel processorsis mainly justified as a work device. We may soon see 64bit, 4GB Atom devices.
    06-08-14 04:16 PM
    The downside to the windows tablets is that they Won't fit into my Small budget! ;-)
    06-08-14 04:37 PM
    Hi all,
    i know there are many threads about playbook vs?? but on a search yesterday i couldn't see what i was after,
    i am looking at a price of �40-50 which would get a decent used bbpb Or a new generic android 4+ 9" tablet, specs wise they are pretty much the same, just different screen size,
    mainly used for browsing, usual social media, a few doc's etc.(downloaded step by step images before for use when out fixing the car) and a few games, a Fair bit of Soundcloud use, my girls have a cheap �30 android 7" tablet and is a pretty decent bit of kit, but i do prefer a larger screen,
    my Heart says Playbook every time but head says android?? which would you choose???

many thanks in advance,
    Base on that get an android tab.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-08-14 04:46 PM
    Just a note, you won't get much support OS-wise with the real cheap android tablets, either. So get one that is at least JellyBean 4.X. Also, make sure it supports the Google Play Store.The really cheap android tabs are going to be dual-core as well (same as PB), probably lower resolution 800X600 (PB is 1024X600), and not well put together.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-08-14 04:59 PM
    The downside to the windows tablets is that they Won't fit into my Small budget! ;-)
    Budget wise you might not beat a PB if you can find a deal. I am not thrilled with Android KitKat on my Nexus (2012). Android 4.2 might be better.As far as a generic Android 9" tablet don't know. If screen was too low resolution or dim that would be very irritating and wouldn't expect much from the sound. In the US sometimes deals on refurbished units are available from Big Lots or Walmart. Don't know about your market.

Sorry to get off track with the windows units. They are getting cheaper but don't meet your request yet unless you find some guy who is. frustrated enough to meet your price point.
    06-08-14 06:58 PM
    What's your budget?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 09:13 PM
    What's your budget?

Posted via CB10
    as in first post �40-50. ;-)
    06-09-14 01:03 AM
    I would get the PlayBook if it meets your needs, but I like the 7-8 inch form factor much better than the 9-10 inch form factor.

Posted via CB10
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 01:27 AM
    as in first post �40-50. ;-)
    Chek this
    Nobis 7" & 9" Android Tablets
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 02:24 AM
    Be careful on those generic tablets (Android). I decided to by one, in the event my PB had to be sent for repairs, and, its in another room, hasn't been charged in months, and, It was the worst waste of money ever.......and a lesson I learned. The resolution was crap for picture taking, believe it or not, not only the many more apps provided weren't great, I ran up against permission buttons to use the apps almost every single time, as well as the feel and the space...how much gb.....was not adequate. If you do not get a PlayBook, spend money on a name brand tablet......do not try cheap.....android...or lesser ......tablets. If and when my PB goes, I am either buying another one, or stay with my laptop and BB phone.....I have nothing else to say. Good Luck!!!!!
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 02:40 AM
    NEVER buy any android tab unless it's a nexus! They ALL SUCK! Get the pb, it's still VERY loyal to me and the OS is just amazing! You can't go wrong!

Posted via CB10
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 02:52 AM
    NEVER buy any android tab unless it's a nexus! They ALL SUCK! Get the pb, it's still VERY loyal to me and the OS is just amazing! You can't go wrong!

Posted via CB10
    That's just plain crap.

I have a Dell Venue 8 running stock Android and it already has system updates. You don't need Google branded tablets to get the full OS updates. As for the PB, I still use it and reach for it far more than this Android tablet which I find clunky and limiting. Has a nice display and is snappier though.
    06-09-14 03:50 AM
    not 9 inch but go to pc world and have a play with the tegra note 7. then hunt on ebay. a tad more than 50 quid.

I actually prefer the playbook - apart from the crashes and hang ups. but the note 7 can be as bad and just reboots when it doesn't like something. being nvidia the updates are good as well.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 05:04 AM
    I've heard mostly positive reviews about the 9" iRulu:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=irulu+9%22
    Last edited by mh1983; 06-09-14 at 12:29 PM.
    06-09-14 05:23 AM
    I suppose at that kind of money level you're never going to get something outstanding. A used PlayBook does have the advantage of Bridge, which you can't get anywhere else. It depends what is most important for you.

Put it this way, I wouldn't swap my PlayBook for a cheap Android tablet, only a more expensive, better one. But there's a degree of inertia there as I already have it, so it's not quite the same. Obviously the app position is not great.

Probably also worth looking at better second hand Android tablets too.

Posted via CB10
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 05:53 AM
    That's just plain crap.

I have a Dell Venue 8 running stock Android and it already has system updates. You don't need Google branded tablets to get the full OS updates. As for the PB, I still use it and reach for it far more than this Android tablet which I find clunky and limiting. Has a nice display and is snappier though.
    The trouble is you might get one major update from the manufacturer and then, if your device is popular enough for custom ROMs, you have to root it and maintain it yourself. Everyone thinks android is so much better supported but it really is not. Google seems to put out the updates faster and longer, like Apple. I've already been updated to 4.3 and 4.4 on my Nexus 2012. It's really all about the android ecosystem. If you don't need it, the PlayBook is quite acceptable.
    anon(5597702) and pastycat like this.
    06-09-14 07:52 AM
    My recommendation is base on the budget. Essentially you get what you pay for. It's very easy to get into buying something more and more expensive as you do more research. For every $10 or $20 pounds more you willing to spend, you will get that extra functions or specs or durability. In the end you are going to spend more than what you intended for which is not a good way to manage your own finance. To me that's the bottom line.
    06-09-14 08:05 AM
    thanks all, some good info and notes to help me there,
    i bought a flytouch 3 tablet 3 or so years ago and whilst it work fine, its Old and Clunky and has a resistive touch screen and is Slow! its on froyo i think? but has a flanfingers 'Funnycomb' rom on it, its done me well and cost me �100 when i got it, But, i use the phone more than it now as its Much quicker and less frustrating, The wife has a samsung galaxy tab 7", which is okay, nice bit of kit, but, i do find the screen a bit small! forever enlarging to read etc. - i do read quite a few bike blogs an kit sites, And really, its for more social browsing,

The real trouble is that i Really like the idea of the playbook, i Love my BB's, have a draw full of old devices, but no Playbook! ;-)
    06-09-14 10:01 AM
    Get one then. You're not going to lose much - say you absolutely hate it, then just put it back in the box and sell it. Given the price it'll likely be, you can afford a bit of a gamble as you just won't lose anything.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 10:06 AM
    I picked up a Dell Venue Pro 8 inch with windows 8.1 and its fantastic. They are a little over your budget at $160 USD but they run full windows. 2nd choice would be a google tab but make sure it has Play Store. I wouldnt get a tab without google services and play store no matter how cheap
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 10:23 AM
    thanks all, some good info and notes to help me there,
    i bought a flytouch 3 tablet 3 or so years ago and whilst it work fine, its Old and Clunky and has a resistive touch screen and is Slow! its on froyo i think? but has a flanfingers 'Funnycomb' rom on it, its done me well and cost me �100 when i got it, But, i use the phone more than it now as its Much quicker and less frustrating, The wife has a samsung galaxy tab 7", which is okay, nice bit of kit, but, i do find the screen a bit small! forever enlarging to read etc. - i do read quite a few bike blogs an kit sites, And really, its for more social browsing,

The real trouble is that i Really like the idea of the playbook, i Love my BB's, have a draw full of old devices, but no Playbook! ;-)
    Don't buy something that you will add to your drawer full of junk. Don't know about the Galaxy tab and having to enlarge to read but my eyes are not the greatest and I don't have to do that very much on the PB which I mostly use in landscape mode.And if you get a low res screen enlarging will really make it look crappy. Maybe you should wait a couple of months until the new models come out and you can get a deal on the 2013 crop.
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 10:26 AM
    Wow, $160 us? In Canada they sell for the equivalent of about $250! I envy you Americans and your crazy sale prices.

As for the original question, almost any Android tablet will have a faster browser than the PB. I love the PB and use it every day, but even I would not recommend buying one today unless you have a BB7 device and want to use the bridge. Since you are in the UK, isn't there a chain store that has a highly rated and very cheap Tegra based tablet?
    pastycat likes this.
    06-09-14 11:53 AM