I actually own both the Note and the PlayBook. I love both devices, but I do admit that it is much easier carrying just the Note rather than the PlayBook + phone.

IMO, the Note has 3 cons:

1) Size. If a person is a heavy phone user, then I can see how the Note might be a little cumbersome. (With that said, for occasional talkers like me, the "it's too big to be a phone" argument is overblown. 90% of the people who complain about the Note's size haven't even used it before.)

2) Sound. Like all smartphones, the Note's speaker sucks. I think the PlayBook really spoiled me on this count. After hearing the PB's superior speakers for the first time, nothing else�including the Note�can possibly measure up.

3) Android. Once the Note gets ICS, I'm sure it will be better, but for me QNX is still far superior to Android.

But if these 3 things aren't an issue for you, then the Note might be a viable option. OTOH, if the upcoming BlackBerry London ends up sporting a 5.0"+ screen, then who cares about the Note?
    Hmmm what do you find yourself using more?

The note or the pb?

does the resolution make it more of a pleasure to browse on the note?

have you tried vnc or logmein etc on the note?
    03-29-12 03:58 AM
    i guess i will have to wait to see what bb10 devices are like before I tie myself up with another 2 year contract
    03-29-12 09:13 AM
    I agree with the too big for a phone and too small for a tablet camp. I tried that when I went Android with the Thunderbolt. I didn't have a computer back then and I wanted a device with a great flash browser, apps and a big screen.

In the end, doing it all on one device didn't work for me. The screen was great for messaging and OK for email (although the virtual keyboard took up over half the screen at times) but no good for extended browsing and longer emails.

That amazing screen was difficult to see outdoors but more importantly it drained the battery quickly because I was using it as a phone, messaging, media, GPS, camera, intent device. The battery lasted 5 hours max.

That led me to get an extended battery so I wouldn't be stuck with a dead device. Well, this made the device heavy and just too big to be used as my daily phone.

After 10 months with the Android Thunderbolt, I traded it for a BlackBerry 9650 and bought a PlayBook. I've learned that doing everything on one device has major drawbacks.

I love the combo of my BlackBerry, which I use for phone, email, messaging, GPS only and the PlayBook that I use for media like YouTube, movies, games, Internet.

Something to think about.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-29-12 09:27 AM
    Hmmm what do you find yourself using more?

The note or the pb?

To be honest, I find myself using the Note more, but that's only because when I have room for just one device, I will always choose the Note since it doubles as my phone. BUT, that doesn't mean I'd ever give up my PlayBook. Fat chance of that happening.

does the resolution make it more of a pleasure to browse on the note?

As far as resolution & web browsing, it's a pleasure to browse on either the PlayBook or the Note. So I guess I really don't have a preference here...

have you tried vnc or logmein etc on the note?

Haven't tried either. (Sorry about that)
    --Beethoven
    Last edited by Beethoven9th; 03-29-12 at 10:03 PM.
    03-29-12 10:01 PM
    Peeps have vented out a lot if love for the pb on this thread, the reason i put it up was because i was genuinely torn, but now I think ive made my decision.

Im keeping my playbook this is because:

-Every week it adopts a skill (remote keyboard, new browser, pc-less sideloading) so only a matter of time before it does everything.

-I've had iphone, played with ipad 2, have a galaxy s2, have a pc, had a mac, and none, not one of them can match the playbook at multitasking.

-would like a higher res screen, but its not essential/

-I love its engineering: Ive had 15 years of a gadget at least every 4 months and the only devices that i marvel at are the Mecury minicall pager, Sega dreamcast, Sony minidisk r900 Ericsson t20s, Sony psp, and the Htc magician.

All of these, even if they were dead i would keep them in awe.

The Playbook beats the lot!! construction like its bullet proof, a finish like black silk gold.

Its easy to use, solid, quick (most of the time) and everything i "need"

I think the Galaxy note dazzled me but if i had it for a while id be thinking

"what have i done!!"

I use the playbook daily, the note in the long term couldnt fill that void of "fun and easy" to use. This is all without mentioning the price!!!
    Are you using OS 2.0 release? Compared to older OS some of items you mentioned is no longer true. Besides, how can PB be better than PC and Mac for multitasking? Are you aware in default mode apps put into background will simply pause (thus no multitasking) unlike PC or Mac?
    03-29-12 10:08 PM
    Are you using OS 2.0 release? Compared to older OS some of items you mentioned is no longer true. Besides, how can PB be better than PC and Mac for multitasking? Are you aware in default mode apps put into background will simply pause (thus no multitasking) unlike PC or Mac?
    I am using OS 2.0 release, what items aren't true?

Maybe its an opinion of preference, the only thing i want still going in the background when im doing something else is music, or downloading so I want the apps to pause.

Default mode? what other mode is there?
    03-30-12 02:29 AM
    --Beethoven
    Is there a chance you could try vnc or simular and let me know as it really matters in my line of work.

Wanna know if you can see the whole desktop at once and if its easy to use.
    03-30-12 03:03 AM
    I own both a PB & a Note, my BB9780 is currently resting (or maybe I'll sell it, not sure, love that small size & qwerty).

I use headphones while on my desk or on the move, audio-jack-to-AUX when in car (bluetooth drains battery faster, plus adds an extra device & charger). Honestly, the Note easily fits in to a jeans or trouser pocket and the size only seems awkward if you are too self-conscious, otherwise it's a thin & light device to your ear. Actually, after using the Note, I don't feel like looking at an iPhone4 or SGS2 screen (both being used in my household).

What do I prefer & why?
    Note during the day at work because it has my phone and applications, not to mention the 10-15 ways I can share web-pages/pictures/documents/notes/whatsapp. I have the wifi turned on and run data on 2G (if out of wifi-coverage) which gives me 12hrs from 7am-7pm (no GPS, no Social, no music, no games, just email, WhatsApp & BBC News).

When I reach home, I have no other choice but to charge. At home I can use my PB to browse, read the news, read books or watch downloaded TV episodes. But, during this time, my Note would be running Skype & IM+ just in case some friend or relative wants to chat. Then before going to bed, I put the Note back on charge (probably need to invest in a spare battery)

Pros:
    PB: Web browser, form-factor & size, OS speed
    Note: Screen size, lightweight, screen-resolution & colors, application sharing options, major applications supported

Cons:
    PB: Missing apps, thanks to the developers; Skype, Viber, Tango, OoVoo, Any cross-platform video-chat app (this should be pushed for by RIM).
    Note: battery life, applications run in the background eating memory (why do I need a Task Killer) & battery life

Conclusion: If you want a companion for your PB, the Note is an excellent one. You have to play a few games, watch a video and be blown away by the touch-screen, if you're still not convinced. I don't think our BB touch-screen devices on OS7 have reached the stage of maturity where we can compete with the Android SGS2 or Note (not including the 9900, because that has a qwerty which I love).
    jurrel23 likes this.
    03-30-12 03:30 AM
    Is there a chance you could try vnc or simular and let me know as it really matters in my line of work.

I have VNC, let me check this one for you.
    jurrel23 likes this.
    03-30-12 03:33 AM
    Stylus is the most interesting thing in Note I think. The screen size is very strange, but stylus for handwritten notes would be great on Playbook. (the capacitive styluses are poor)
    03-30-12 03:36 AM
    Stylus is the most interesting thing in Note I think. The screen size is very strange, but stylus for handwritten notes would be great on Playbook. (the capacitive styluses are poor)
    For hand-written notes, it's fairly difficult for people with big hands to write with the stylus without touching the screen. I have to write larger letters than I normally would on paper and have to keep my last two curled fingers away from the screen. It is probably okay for people with smaller hands, but in their case, the device looks too big when they hold it.
    03-30-12 03:48 AM

Ok, so I installed & ran the VNC server v4.1.7 on my laptop but for some reason the androidVNC application on the Note couldn't connect (security type kept failing, had the laptop firewall off). Tried various security settings (no pwd, using a pwd, using NT Logon Authentication) without any success. Finally tested with the TeamViewer application which worked well. I was able to see 80% of the screen on the Note (1366x768 resolution on my laptop), had to pull the pointer down to the Start button to get the rest of it. But the control was good and responsive. Video play had lag but the picture was clear.

As for the VNC, I probably have to troubleshoot from my side. Maybe I'm mis-configuring some thing, it has been a long time since I used VNC.
    03-30-12 04:28 AM
    I am using OS 2.0 release, what items aren't true?

Maybe its an opinion of preference, the only thing i want still going in the background when im doing something else is music, or downloading so I want the apps to pause.

Default mode? what other mode is there?
    Bullet proof stability and speed used to be what people praise about but people are noticing this is no longer true. All my colleagues are reporting general sluggish behaviour since OS 2.0 update.

Browser is supposed to be the strongest point of PB apps. OS 2.0 release has weakened PB's strongest point. Just look through these threads.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-706334/

Look through what people want from next OS update

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-tablet-os-f228/

and users wanting to go back to 1.08 for these issues, especially browser

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s-1-xx-710257/

There's a setting called "Application Behaviour" under "General". 3 settings are available - showcase, default, paused. Showcase tries to force the apps in background to continue to run but some apps will still pause, default is not well defined but this will basically follow application's behaviour as designed, and paused will try to pause all apps in the background.

Something like music playback, downloading is always available in background on all similar devices. I can't imagine PB being better at this than PC or Mac.

On portable devices multitasking needs to be carefully managed since unnecessary use of power could drain your battery rather quickly.
    03-30-12 06:59 AM
    Sorry peeps but took the plunge, and now I have a Samsung Galaxy Note.

I still have my PB but I have not even turned it on since.

This thing is immense!!

I hope the PB goes to a happy home as I have no need of it, but i still catch myself doing gestures to use the NOte as if its a playbook, but i guess that will go soon.

Sad day.
    04-04-12 03:57 AM
    Well Jurrel, I can understand your choice.
    Having too much devices isn't that handy, and the Note is really a all-in-one device with a nice high res screen. It's maybe too small for some tablet applications, and some say it's too big for a phone, but think back to the first mobile phones: it was cool back then to have a big unit in the hand and a large battery pack on the back

Personally, I'm waiting for some news about the "mini" iPad, but won't quit my PB till then (and maybe the mini iPad will not be that attractive, we will see).
    04-04-12 04:54 AM
    I own a dell streak mini (5 inch cell) and a playbook and... a bold 9780 lol.
    I broke the lcd on my streak and while waiting for a new one to come in I got a playbook.
    I FREAKING LOVE my playbook and as it was my first Blackberry device I was surprised at how much I liked it. Now heres the thing, I got the bold after getting my playbook because of wanting to try out a BB cell rather than just playing with one. Well my lcd came in for my streak (broke it again about 45 mins later) so back to BB. Any ways having a 5inch screen while on the go was great, I could do everything that I do on my playbook but with the option on only having to carry 1 device. Its a bit of a hassle to carry around a tablet and a cell when you dont drive (no really it is) so a 5inch cell was a good choice, another kicker is that with the playbook I had to have it bridged or tether via bluetooth. With the cell I didnt need that. All in all I guess its all up to personal preference. Lol ya I wrote all that for "personal preference"
    04-04-12 05:07 AM
    I have a galaxy nexus and an iPad 2. Just sold my PB. I really miss the flash and size of the PB, but that's about it. If I could get a Note I would too!
    04-04-12 07:24 AM
    Galaxy Note is AWESOME!
    For me Playbook is absolutely nothing in comparison. I'm sorry but that's a truth.
    04-04-12 07:30 AM
    In all honesty, if the note used the aws network (Wind mobile in Canada) Im sure I would grab one
    04-04-12 08:03 PM
    FWIW, I like the galaxy note. Would I use it be my main phone? H*ll no. But I can see it fulfilling a need out there. I think they already sold 5 million and are on track to sell 10 million by the end of the year. The results speak for themselves. But that is just my .02.
    04-05-12 11:18 PM
    I think the Samsung Note has a niche. You either love it or hate it, like the Playbook. I give Samsung credit for exploring the market with a different kind of device. RIM needs to be on the cutting edge of technology. It took some people a shortwhile before they recognized the direction the Iphone and I pad were taking the tech industry, others were in denial. RIM could of easily developed a Note like product but they are obviously a day late and a dollar short with innovation. The Note maybe be cumbersome, but it does have utility and for certain scenarios in the work environment it looks like a perfect fit. RIM makes devices supposedly business oriented for functionality, well they could of been making some sales if ...,? RIM is in the technology industry not the creation of fine wines. I have tried the Note so I know a little bit about it, the cost keeps me from acquiring one of my own. I have been holding out for the BB 10 devices...,
    This auto correct on the PlayBook sucks by the way. I had to read back through this little blurb several times to correct the auto correct. Watch for me on YouTube tossing my PlayBook in the air and blasting it into bits with my shotgun. Just joking.
    04-06-12 03:11 AM
    IMO, the Note has 3 cons:

1) Size. If a person is a heavy phone user, then I can see how the Note might be a little cumbersome. (With that said, for occasional talkers like me, the "it's too big to be a phone" argument is overblown. 90% of the people who complain about the Note's size haven't even used it before.)
    The size issue really depends on what you are using it for. Everyone talks about the size issue in terms of holding a stupidly-large phone up to your ear, but I think this is an issue that's easy to get over unless you are giving it to someone whose fingers are literally too small to fit around the phone. The "fashion" issue won't interfere with call quality, and will eventually go away on its own. I mean, remember how ridiculously huge the original blackberry 7500's looked against you ear compared to the Motorola Razors of the day?

However, for my uses, the galaxy note is actually too small. The reason that I bought the playbook was to help me with work - to edit documents on the go, be my mobile filing system, and be my presentation aid when I'm up in front of a crowd... The PlayBook is just barely large enough to read many of the pdf documents I use at with the full page on the screen. Same goes with powerpoint slides showing speaking notes when I'm presenting.

The Galaxy Note's screen is another 40% smaller than the Playbook's, so for my common uses it's really too small. I do envy the pen, but can't see giving up the screen real estate given my uses. Mind you, by the same token, A 10" tablet would be way to big for me to carry around at a presentation, or use to edit stuff on the crowded commuted trains... I really think RIM nailed the size for professional uses.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-06-12 08:10 AM
    I'm the opposite to the OP. I'm selling my Galaxy Note to buy a PB and a cheaper Android phone. Make no mistake, the Note is a beautiful device but it's just too big to use as a phone and too small for a tablet. The only thing I think I'll miss is the stylus.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-19-12 06:29 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD