Hi,

As my 16GB Playbook ran full and I was never quite happy with it for reading magazines as the screen was simply too small and I missed some apps so I bought the Asus TF300TG with Jellybean (4.1.1) which was on sale.

In case anyone is having the same thoughts; here a short comparison:

UI: The UI of the Playbook is FAR superior to Android. I got used to that flow and the swiping - it is so easy and intuitive with the PB. Android works with these little touch buttons and I never really know if I closed an app or if it drains the battery in the background.

Screen: The Transformer is bigger obviously but there is so much glare. As mentioned for reading magazines the 10 inch factor is MUCH better. However I think the screen quality of the PB is much better. Way less glare, brighter, also the Transformer is an absolut fingerprint and smudge magnet.

Apps: Yeah there are so many more apps for Android than for the PB. But boy was I wrong about the quality. Some Apps I was looking forward to use crashed immediately on the Transformer. Downloaded Asphalt 7 - it runs slower and choppier than Asphalt 6 on the PB - even the Transformer has a quadcore Tegra.

Browser: AAARGH - I tried exactly 2 webpages with the Transformer and both did not display properly. Never had any issues with the PB stock browser. Had to install 5 different browsers on the Transformer until I found a decent working one. Speed is much faster though on the Transformer.

PDF/Zinio: I do not know why, but somehow magazines on the Transformer never get quite sharp. Also the Zinio PDFs render with a lag as well on the Tegra 3 chip which is dissapointing.

Keyboard: Nothing beats the predictive keyboard on the PB - The dock for the Transformer is a nice feature though, but I don`t really need it on a tablet. I have a netbook for serious writing.

Weight: Actually the PB is pretty heavy for a 7 inch so the difference to the 600g Transformer is not that big.

Built Quality: Definetely goes to the PB. It feels way more solid - Asus - despite all the plastic - is not bad though.

Flexibilty: This is where to Transformer shines (and why I actually consider keeping it). Bought the 32GB version, added a 64GB micro SDXC card, can add another 128GB SDXC card in the dock, connect harddrives etc. Also compared to the PB it plays pretty much all video files without complaining. Also the battery of the Transformer is much stronger and in combination with the dock pretty unbeatable.

Conclusion:
    Why only isn`t there a Playbook with a bigger screen and SD card slot? That would be much closer to the perfect tablet than anything else on the market. I think I will continue to use the PB for webbrowsing, emails and reading books. If I do not sell the Transformer again, I might use it for videos and magazines, simply because of the bigger screen and the SD card reader.
    dave_h_946 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-26-12 08:13 AM
    Hi,

As my 16GB Playbook ran full and I was never quite happy with it for reading magazines as the screen was simply too small and I missed some apps so I bought the Asus TF300TG with Jellybean (4.1.1) which was on sale.

UI: The UI of the Playbook is FAR superior to Android. I got used to that flow and the swiping - it is so easy and intuitive with the PB. Android works with these little touch buttons and I never really know if I closed an app or if it drains the battery in the background.

Screen: The Transformer is bigger obviously but there is so much glare. As mentioned for reading magazines the 10 inch factor is MUCH better. However I think the screen quality of the PB is much better. Way less glare, brighter, also the Transformer is an absolut fingerprint and smudge magnet.

Apps: Yeah there are so many more apps for Android than for the PB. But boy was I wrong about the quality. Some Apps I was looking forward to use crashed immediately on the Transformer. Downloaded Asphalt 7 - it runs slower and choppier than Asphalt 6 on the PB - even the Transformer has a quadcore Tegra.

Browser: AAARGH - I tried exactly 2 webpages with the Transformer and both did not display properly. Never had any issues with the PB stock browser. Had to install 5 different browsers on the Transformer until I found a decent working one. Speed is much faster though on the Transformer.

PDF/Zinio: I do not know why, but somehow magazines on the Transformer never get quite sharp. Also the Zinio PDFs render with a lag as well on the Tegra 3 chip which is dissapointing.

Keyboard: Nothing beats the predictive keyboard on the PB - The dock for the Transformer is a nice feature though, but I don`t really need it on a tablet. I have a netbook for serious writing.

Weight: Actually the PB is pretty heavy for a 7 inch so the difference to the 600g Transformer is not that big.

Built Quality: Definetely goes to the PB. It feels way more solid - Asus - despite all the plastic - is not bad though.

Flexibilty: This is where to Transformer shines (and why I actually consider keeping it). Bought the 32GB version, added a 64GB micro SDXC card, can add another 128GB SDXC card in the dock, connect harddrives etc. Also compared to the PB it plays pretty much all video files without complaining. Also the battery of the Transformer is much stronger and in combination with the dock pretty unbeatable.

Conclusion:
    Why only isn`t there a Playbook with a bigger screen and SD card slot? That would be much closer to the perfect tablet than anything else on the market. I think I will continue to use the PB for webbrowsing, emails and reading books. If I do not sell the Transformer again, I might use it for videos and magazines, simply because of the bigger screen and the SD card reader.
    I have said the same thing about the PlayBook. Whereas my comparisons are between an iPad 3 and a PB (not really fair), I still think with a slighty better eco system and an SD card expansion, we'd be in business! If I was dreaming, an extra battery would be nice if the original battery is removable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-26-12 08:28 AM
    Why only isn`t there a Playbook with a bigger screen and SD card slot?.
    ....and add to that more apps, better apps (see evernote), a descent preinstalled file manager....and the list goes on. But despite the lack of these features the PB is still a great device and a fantastic tool.

Very good review. I like it when people make reviews and comparisons of products they have physically held in their hands. You were not like "I spent ��� on this android tablet so I have to justify it somehow"
    Enjoy your tablets.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-26-12 04:51 PM
    My son has a TF700 Infinity complete with keyboard dock. The screen is AWESOME! Aside from that, my 64GB PlayBook is a much better tablet. Plus it has flash, which he's always complaining about. I have mostly free apps.
    11-26-12 05:53 PM
    Hi,

Multitasking is more fluid, but there are some pretty basic features missing (like sharing files/data between apps, action overflow menus, etc.). Jelly Bean 4.2 fixes a lot of the usability issues on android tablets.
    Because it's not important that you know as the system manages apps on its own. The only reason you would need to worry about the status of an app is if it's malfunctioning, in which case, you can force stop it, clear its cache, and/or its data.
    While I adore the brightness and outdoor visibility of the PlayBook's screen, viewing angles aren't as good (though both could stand for improvement).

That's an issue with that specific app. The quality of apps when designed properly are objectively better than the average app on PlayBook (mostly to to the aforementioned missing features and the lack of a strong design language). Though it looks like BB10 will remedy this.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of the PB's keyboard. It feels nice to type on but the lack of properly implemented gestures kinda kills it.Though, until JB 4.2, I wasn't a fan of Android's tablet keyboard either. The new one with Gesture Typing is quite magical.

I do prefer the PlayBook's build over most other plastic tablets, though it's not perfect either. If you tap on the sides, you get a satisfying thud, but on the back, it feels a little more hollow. If you press hard, there's the slightest bit of give and it's not uncommon for the PlayBook to have a [repairable] defect wherein the back is warped.

Conclusion:
    Not sure about a bigger screen (maybe 7.7 or 8.9 in) but a higher res screen with a taller aspect ratio and BB10 would be amazing.
    Just thought I'd comment on a few things...
    Last edited by itmccb; 11-26-12 at 06:58 PM.
    11-26-12 06:23 PM
    @ dave_h_946 I agree with the apps. That was actually another one of the reasons, why I bought an Android tablet. There were some Apps like XBMC, Spotify or a DLNA renderer that are simply not available on the PB and I do not know if the future will bring it. I do not really use a lot of apps and mainly free ones, but sometimes you really miss out on the PB eco system.

@ RWD The TF700 of your son has a full HD Display which is pretty cool, while the TF300 I bought only has a 1280 x 800 display. You can tell your son that he can download flash easily by installing a tool called Flash Installer. He can find it in the shop and it installs Flash on 4.1.1.

@itmccb Thanks for the input, esp. your explanation on memory management and 4.2 an Android. I guess the gesture keyboard on 4.2 is similar to Swype which I had on a Nokia a long time ago. I still really like the PB Keyboard though. Sometimes I can write entire sentences with only actually typing 2 or 3 letters as it always suggests the right words. From what I have seen for BB10 it gets even better.

On a general note. While I would like to see a PB with 8.9 inch 4:3 screen and a higher resolution also price nowadays plays a significant role. I bought my PB back then for about 230USD and I still think it was a very modest price considering the package. For a price like that I am willing to accept compromises. The same with the Transformer which I bought for 350USD with 3G and dock.
    However I am pretty sure that if RIM were to release a new tablet they will ask at least 500 - 600USD or more for it. I really doubt that they want to continue to give away their tablets for cheap as they do now. If I pay this much money it better be capable of doing everything I expect of a tablet.

I have the same problems with my phones. I have so many phones and none really works for me. I am excited about the new Blackberry Phones, however I am sure they will cost a lot. If they do, at least in my personal opinion - they should be able to do all the things I expect of a phone. Otherwise I will buy a cheaper phone and live with the compromises.
    11-27-12 05:08 AM
    Palerider89 ........ I also fell into the Android trap and purchased a 1st gen kindle fire, rooted it and loaded a custom jellybean 4.1.2 rom then downloaded every android game that I wanted to play on my 64GB playbook but are exclusive to android and ios.

I do like all of the widgets, flashy live wallpapers and games that android has to offer but after using it and playing the games I got that all out of my system........

I got pissed off using jellybean at times. I also missed the flow and the swiping that you mention in your post and I also had lockup issues in demanding games, but what really gets under my skin is the crappy mobile web pages that are displayed.

I'm just not willing to downgrade from my Playbook so my rooted kindle fire running jellybean 4.1.2, it will now be a Christmas gift for an 11 year old that loves to read books.

11-27-12 10:02 AM
    Hi,

Conclusion:
    I was hoping you sold you're PlayBook. I was willing to trade my 64GB Playbook for your TF300.
    11-27-12 10:04 AM