Slumdog Millionaire is for rent for 99 cents, in case anyone here has not seen this Academy Award Best Picture Winner.

Gooseberry Falls and Ubeda92, I am glad you were ultimately able to download your movie purchases. Ubeda92, forget True Grit. I have also made numerous unsuccessful attempts to purchase it. Fortunately, back then, the customer service telephone number still worked and getting a refund was easy.

I noticed you two and some others are still keen on getting in touch with Rovi. As for me, I do not bother anymore. Perhaps I may check once in a while just to see if they are back, but not because I need customer service. As things stand now, the best way to transact is to buy only one movie at a time. Buy the next one only after the first purchase has successfully downloaded and can play. If the purchase does not download properly, call your credit card company to stop the charge. You may want to consider waiting perhaps a day and then retry downloading before stopping the charge, as Gooseberry Falls' experience indicates that success may eventually come.

I don't think the reasons for wanting to get in touch with Rovi are that important. For example, instead of getting a refund through Rovi's customer service agent, one can stop the charge through the credit card company. If one does not like the way the Video Store video player works, an alternative is the native video player. I have actually only used the native video player, and it works fine. I can move forward and backward so I do not miss the 30 second playback button in the Video Store's video player.

I think it is best to leave Rovi alone and not bother contacting them to complain about whatever it is that may not be right with them. It is obvious that they do not really care about the BlackBerry market anymore. I have several television series in my wish list and it has been months and they are still unavailable. I don't think they plan on making them available. They have also reduced costs by getting rid of customer service and who knows what else will follow. Perhaps complete withdrawal from BlackBerry?

Regardless of what may be in store for us old faithful Blackberry folks from Rovi, let's just enjoy the 99-cent movie sales for as long as they last. I fear that if we kick up a fuss about things, it might just get their attention and they may just stop the sales or withdraw completely. I suspect a left-hand-does-not-know-what-right-hand-is-doing situation at Rovi currently. As long as the movie sales continue, I don't care. I know of no other online movie store that has regular sales like this.

I am not asking anyone to stop trying to contact Rovi, that is your prerogative. This is just my opinion. Enjoy the movies!
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    05-10-14 01:18 PM
    Back on sale this week for 99 cents each:

1. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Unrated)
    2. The Counselor Unrated Extended Cut
    3. Runner Runner

Other sale titles from last two weeks or so still on sale.
    Gooseberry Falls and robsteve like this.
    05-14-14 04:43 PM
    I got excited earlier today when I saw someone else had posted that several new movies were on sale for the PlayBook's Video Store. I was eagerly anticipating buying titles such as "The Monuments Men", "American Hustle", "Captain Phillips", "Last Vegas", "Pompeii", etc. Unfortunately, as I settled in to make my purchases, none of the new movies I wanted were on sale in the Video Store. They were not available, period. Not that they were not on sale for 99 cents.

I really do not know what the status of the Video Store is, since the new releases in that other thread are not available at all (currently) for PlayBook users. I hope they will be coming shortly. I found one new release movie, "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" in the Video Store but it is not on sale. Could it be that having this new release may indicate that Rovi has not abandoned the Video Store yet?

Anyway, below is an updated list in alphabetical order of movies (that I could find) currently on sale for 99 cents each in the Video Store:

1. 12 Years a Slave
    2. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Unrated)
    3. Baggage Claim
    4. Enough Said
    5. Labor Day
    6. Life of Pi
    7. Nebraska
    8. Runner Runner
    9. Saving Private Ryan
    10. The Book Thief
    11. The Counselor Unrated Extended Cut
    12. The Fighter
    13. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    14. The Way, Way Back
    15. The Wolf of Wall Street
    05-20-14 05:53 PM
    It looks like we in the United States are slowly losing the love from the Video Store. If you buy a used PlayBook that has the Video Store and the seller does a Security Wipe, then the PlayBook will no longer have the Video Store when you set up your account on the used PlayBook. Therefore, I think I can safely conclude that if you buy a new PlayBook, the newly activated PlayBook will not have the Video Store, even if you are in U.S.A. This points to the Video Store slowly but surely stopping its support of the PlayBook. I understand now why some posters have not been able to find the Video Store on their PlayBooks.

I am located in California and bought a used PlayBook today. Prior to the seller doing the Security Wipe, I examined the unit and it definitely had the Video Store. I then set up my account but did not check if the Video Store was still on it until I got home, since it was not the reason I got it. Well, the Video Store is gone. This is disappointing but luckily I have 3 other PlayBooks which have the Video Store. I really did not need the 32 GB unit I bought today, and it was just an impulse buy as I did not have a 32 GB unit until today. Now, I have all three denominations - 16, 32 and 64 GB. It is somewhat disappointing though, that I cannot purchase movies from the Video Store on this 32 GB model I got today.

Anyway, this post is to warn you guys who have the Video Store on your PlayBooks that you may lose it if you do a Security Wipe. It is also to ask for help from you to see if there is a way to load the Video Store back onto the used PlayBook I got today. Anybody out there with my experience and was successful in loading the Video Store back onto the unit? Thanks in advance.
    05-21-14 10:12 PM
    Rovi sold the Rovi Entertainment Store (which powered the PB Video Store, Target's online video store, and others') in September 2013 to an entity named Reliance Majestic Holdings. Perhaps that subsequently ended BB's agreement, at least for new installations, which may include a re-install of 2.xx from the original 1.0 version of the PB's software. My Video Store still works, but I haven't done a security wipe in at least 18 months, certainly before this change in ownership. It would be interesting to ask BB if anyone there would respond, given their discontinuance of PB technical support. But thanks for the "heads-up", bb4ty.
    05-22-14 12:29 PM
    Somehow, I don't think it is Rovi. The Video Store was an after thought and I think I remember getting it in a small update to the OS. BBRY may have taken this update off the update server. You can lose other native icons during a security wipe, too. Usually a check for updates via OTA or DM/Link gives a small update that brings them back. You might check this thread (autoload an older OS or app bar files) although the links appear to be dead. Maybe you can PM thurask or nerdydaddio for a good d/l site:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...6/index26.html

Another reason to maintain backups for security wipes. Good Luck.
    05-22-14 12:44 PM
    Somehow, I don't think it is Rovi. The Video Store was an after thought and I think I remember getting it in a small update to the OS. BBRY may have taken this update off the update server. You can lose other native icons during a security wipe, too. Usually a check for updates via OTA or DM/Link gives a small update that brings them back. You might check this thread (autoload an older OS or app bar files) although the links appear to be dead. Maybe you can PM thurask or nerdydaddio for a good d/l site:

I too don't think it's Rovi, given they're out of this business. BB may have the answer.
    05-22-14 12:58 PM
    Is there a way to watch the movies downloaded from the Playbook video store on a different device?

For example on my samsung bluray via the Vudu app... or on my BlackBerry 10 phone... or in my iPad... etc

I have a feeling once you buy it from the Playbook, it stays on the Playbook.

T-Mobile Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228 ?
    05-23-14 01:40 PM
    Is there a way to watch the movies downloaded from the Playbook video store on a different device?
    Only other devices you can watch it on are devices that have HDMI in, such as a flat screen TV of Projector. The files are locked to the PIN of the PlayBook it was downloaded on and can only be streamed on the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-14 07:38 PM
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit for 99 cents!
    05-24-14 07:26 PM
    Sweet! In addition to Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, four other movies based on Tom Clancy books are on sale for 99 cents: The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and The Sum of All Fears.

Purchased and downloaded all without any issues.
    bb4ty likes this.
    05-25-14 12:11 PM
    Slumdog Millionaire is for rent for 99 cents, in case anyone here has not seen this Academy Award Best Picture Winner.

Gooseberry Falls and Ubeda92, I am glad you were ultimately able to download your movie purchases. Ubeda92, forget True Grit. I have also made numerous unsuccessful attempts to purchase it. Fortunately, back then, the customer service telephone number still worked and getting a refund was easy.
    Hey, Ubeda92 and those interested in buying True Grit, it works now. I bought it last night and after I observed the license was properly acquired, I went to bed as it continued to download. In previous attempts, it failed at the acquisition of license stage. It was successfully downloaded when I awoke and played well when I tested it.
    05-28-14 08:55 PM

Thanks, Gooseberry Falls for the info. You're right, the links are dead and further research I did indicates that I will not be able to get the Video Store back. Not going to bother the folks you suggested I contact as I have 3 other PlayBooks that still have the Video Store. I moved some files from each of these to the 32 GB unit I bought and so far, cleared more than 10 GB space in them, so I can live with the 32 GB PlayBook not having the Video Store. I'll just get my movies on the others.

However, if I am wrong and the Video Store can be easily reinstalled on a PlayBook, I will be happy to hear from anyone who knows how to do it. I just don't want to engage in a technological wrestling contest to do it as I am not technologically savvy.
    05-28-14 09:06 PM
    bb4ty:

Thanks for the heads up on "True Grit."

However, I still get held up at "license acquiring" stage.

No biggie. I downloaded that movie to my Z10 for 99 cents from Blackberry World.

Watched the movie by connecting the Z10 to a TV via hdmi.

However, I would still prefer watching any movie with a Playbook/TV combo than a Z10/TV combo. Haven't found a "rewind" button on the Z10 video player and, if one doesn't turn off the "Hub" (which I'm guessing one can do--I'm fairly new to the phone), one could experience message interruptions during the watching of a movie via the phone.
    On the other hand, the phone versions of some movies appear to provide subtitles--which I may have accidentally disabled, I'm working on that--something I've never found on movies downloaded from the Playbook "store."
    05-28-14 09:30 PM
    Thanks, Gooseberry Falls for the info. You're right, the links are dead and further research I did indicates that I will not be able to get the Video Store back. Not going to bother the folks you suggested I contact as I have 3 other PlayBooks that still have the Video Store. I moved some files from each of these to the 32 GB unit I bought and so far, cleared more than 10 GB space in them, so I can live with the 32 GB PlayBook not having the Video Store. I'll just get my movies on the others.

However, if I am wrong and the Video Store can be easily reinstalled on a PlayBook, I will be happy to hear from anyone who knows how to do it. I just don't want to engage in a technological wrestling contest to do it as I am not technologically savvy.
    See if you can d/l and install the bar file from here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...er-etc-725127/
    05-29-14 07:12 AM
    Is anyone is Canada still using the Video Store? It's not on my PB 4G, but I want it. I've sideloaded it from another thread here, but it's stating it can only be used in the USA.
    05-31-14 01:27 AM
    Sweet! In addition to Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, four other movies based on Tom Clancy books are on sale for 99 cents: The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger, and The Sum of All Fears.

Purchased and downloaded all without any issues.
    Great deal! Looks like you have the entire Jack Ryan titles for only $4.95! I was at Best Buy a few days ago and saw that they had the blu-ray pack for the four JR movies you mentioned, i.e., excluding Shadow Recruit, on sale for a heck of a lot more bucks. Cannot remember how much, but it was in the tens of dollars, maybe $39.00(?). I was there to pick up the blu-ray pack of Knight and Day which was on sale for $4.99. It had the blu-ray disc, DVD disc and digital copy. I had Best Buy rewards dollars to use so it was essentially free. Better deal than the Video Store's 99 cent sales!

Thanks for posting about these Tom Clancy-based titles and I hope you will continue to inform us about titles you discover that are on sale.
    06-01-14 05:46 PM
    See if you can d/l and install the bar file from here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...er-etc-725127/
    Thanks, Gooseberry Falls. I was able to download the bar file and I see it in the PlayBook, but that was as far as I got. I saw your post in another thread with instructions on installing it and I viewed the youtube videos this weekend and tried to install the Video Store back into the used PlayBook I bought but alas, to no avail.

At least I now know it is something that may happen. However, I got stymied as I am not technologically savvy (though I try to be) and after having wrestled with it yesterday, I will take a break from it for now. Maybe I will get back to it, maybe not. I can live without it on the 32GB unit. Thanks for all your help though.

It seems scrapmetal58 from Canada managed to sideload it so if and when I am ready to tackle this again, I may see if he can be of assistance too.

SM58, I think the Video Store is good only in the U.S. Even then, I think it is slowly being phased out.
    06-01-14 06:08 PM
    I downloaded "Hunt for Red October," "Patriot Games," and "Clear and Present Danger."

Of these downloads, I've only watched "Hunt" in its entirety. Size of video left much to be desired. In the "native" or "natural" setting on my TV, the left and right sides of the video fell far short of the TV's left and right borders. That wasn't the case with the other two Clancy movies I downloaded or any other video I've downloaded from the Rovi store.

The volume output on "Hunt" to my TV alone also was much lower than on any other movie I've downloaded from the Rovi store--altho using the stereo equipment connected to the TV wasn't problematic.
    06-01-14 07:38 PM
    It seems scrapmetal58 from Canada managed to sideload it so if and when I am ready to tackle this again, I may see if he can be of assistance too.

SM58, I think the Video Store is good only in the U.S. Even then, I think it is slowly being phased out.
    I did sideload it. It was easy following the instructions linked in the thread posted above. It doesn't work for me though. It states that it will only work in the US. I'm still wondering if anyone in Canada is able to use it still though. I was really hoping to use it on my new PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-14 08:59 PM
    I did sideload it. It was easy following the instructions linked in the thread posted above. It doesn't work for me though. It states that it will only work in the US. I'm still wondering if anyone in Canada is able to use it still though. I was really hoping to use it on my new PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    The Canada version of the Video Store was available from BBRY World or App World when it was called that. It wasn't distributed as an OTA update like the US version. It is a different .bar but doesn't seem to be in BBRY World anymore.

Edit: If you are in Canada, try BBRY World. Your's will probably be different than the US, which I am looking at.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    06-02-14 10:46 AM
    Thanks, Gooseberry Falls. I was able to download the bar file and I see it in the PlayBook, but that was as far as I got. I saw your post in another thread with instructions on installing it and I viewed the youtube videos this weekend and tried to install the Video Store back into the used PlayBook I bought but alas, to no avail.

At least I now know it is something that may happen. However, I got stymied as I am not technologically savvy (though I try to be) and after having wrestled with it yesterday, I will take a break from it for now. Maybe I will get back to it, maybe not. I can live without it on the 32GB unit. Thanks for all your help though.

You still have to sideload it even if it is a .bar file. You don't just d/l the bar to the PB and execute it. You need to do it from a PC. Maybe these instructions will help:
    http://www.blackberryed.com/how-to-s...erry-10-phone/
    or
    http://crackberry.com/sideloading-ma...browser-plugin
    Edit: When you enter the developer's password, somehow it password protects the device. At least that's what happened when I did it with my Z30. So be sure to remember it.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 06-02-14 at 05:25 PM.
    06-02-14 10:55 AM
    Does anyone have the bar file for the Canadian Video Store? I'd like to give BlackBerry some money by buying movies.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-14 10:58 AM
    Does anyone have the bar file for the Canadian Video Store? I'd like to give BlackBerry some money by buying movies.

Posted via CB10
    You didn't find it in the Canada BBRY World? Not sure if a bar file exists since it was loaded from App World. The US bar file was extracted from the OTA update, I think.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-world-736972/
    06-02-14 11:08 AM
    You didn't find it in the Canada BBRY World? Not sure if a bar file exists since it was loaded from App World. The US bar file was extracted from the OTA update, I think.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-world-736972/
    I didn't, no. So unfortunate. Is there no way to extract a bar file that was downloaded from BB World?
    06-03-14 01:04 PM
105 12345