If you haven't been pranked yet and have no plans to prank someone this April Fools' Day but want some good laughs, then accept the Video Store's AFD gift for us. I found the following three comedies on sale today for 99 cents each:

1. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa (Unrated version)
    2. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Unrated version)
    3. A.C.O.D.

I think they should be on sale until April 16th since I was prompted to download by this date when I purchased them.

Since the PlayBook is reportedly not going to be receiving any further updates (beyond the one yesterday), I wonder how this may affect the movies that have been purchased. I would assume that the ones downloaded onto the device will have no problems playing, but I wonder if we can continue to download up to the supposed 5 times indefinitely, i.e. would Rovi abandon the Video Store?

Maybe I am thinking too much into it. At 99 cents each, it is still a very good deal no matter what.
    Earlier today, I posted (Post #24) that the sale was over. I was browsing the Video Store just a few minutes ago and found that the same three movies are on sale again for 99 cents each. I don't know what's going on with this on, off and on again sale. Anyway, as of 8:00 p.m. PST, they are 99 cents. Grab them while you can!
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    04-02-14 10:15 PM
    The last OS shutdown I went through (Microsoft's Windows Mobile), the services were all shutdown within 6 mos to a year. So it will be important to keep your PB backed up from now on. BBRY World may still be common to the phones and PB but the Video Store only serves the PB.
    BB10 Video store in App World is still "powered by Rovi"
    04-03-14 02:06 PM
    BB10 Video store in App World is still "powered by Rovi"
    Yeah, maybe the PB update to BBRY World unified everything. I haven't investigated it yet. But in the past, BB10 users got their videos from BBRY World and PB users got theirs from Video Store. Apps come from BBRY World for both platforms. That's how I understood it. I could be wrong...
    04-03-14 02:46 PM
    I don't use my BBID for the PB video store login. Is there any connection or are they two separate entities?
    04-03-14 03:31 PM
    I don't use my BBID for the PB video store login. Is there any connection or are they two separate entities?
    I got to think they are two separate entities. You can't get to your PB video library via BBRY World. At least I can't. LOL.
    04-03-14 05:51 PM
    Found these movies on sale for 99 cents each:

World War Z: Unrated
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones
    Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters (Unrated)
    Rise of The Planet of the Apes
    Alien Resurrection

The regular (theatrical) version of WWZ was on sale last December, as was Star Trek Into Darkness.
    04-15-14 06:48 PM

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Alien Resurrection

The regular (theatrical) version of WWZ was on sale last December, as was Star Trek Into Darkness.
    What part of the world are you located in?
    Region matters.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:50 PM
    What part of the world are you located in?
    Region matters.

Posted via CB10
    California, U.S.
    04-15-14 08:54 PM
    Excellent - thanks for sharing! Purchased 3

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 10:40 PM
    Thanks.

Also based in California.

Ordered and downloaded WWZ, Rise of the Apes. And Alien Res.
    04-16-14 12:20 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness
    Alien Resurrection

I was surprised to see that all the above movies are still on sale for 99 cents each. Additionally, the following titles are now also on sale (some are newly on sale, some are making a return run on the sale rack):

1.The Wolf of Wall Street
    2. Nebraska
    3. 12 Years a Slave
    4. The Book Thief
    5. The Life of Pi
    6. The Descendants
    7. True Grit*
    8. The Fighter

* Beware True Grit. I have made several attempts in the past to purchase this title, but never successfully. Got refunds, but the phone number to contact Rovi no longer has a live person answering. There is a thread on this issue in this PlayBook Forum. Therefore, do not expect to reach Customer Support to obtain a refund if True Grit does not work for you.

Folks, since there is supposedly not going to be any further support for the PlayBook, buy these movies at your own risk. The unavailability of the Customer Support line is perhaps a foreboding of what is to come. While buyers are supposed to be able to download each purchased movie onto their PlayBooks up to five times, no one knows how much longer the Video Store will be around. So keep your expectations in check and you won't be disappointed when things turn sour.

As for me, I bought TWOWS this morning. It downloaded properly and it plays wells. The receipt I was emailed for this purchase still gives the same phone number for customer service and I called it to see if they came back on. No such luck. Same recorded message. Cannot reach C.S. and cannot leave a message for them either.

Despite the uncertainty, I will continue to buy as long as there are 99-cent movie sales.

By the way, if anyone was recently able to successfully purchase True Grit, i.e., able to download and play the movie, please leave word on this thread. Although I have watched that movie, I still want to buy it if the Video Store has fixed whatever problem it was that contributed to my (and others') failed attempts to purchase it.
    04-29-14 04:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Rovi powered video store still works on the HP devices, so I doubt it's going to disappear here anytime soon. I didn't even know there is a video store on here.. where to find it? Pretty sure it's not on the included apps on device...
    05-02-14 02:24 PM
    I think it's only us/canada..
    I def don't have a video store here in uk.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 02:24 AM
    I just purchased The Wolf and 12 Years and Descendants and received email confirmations. I haven't been charged yet, however. When I try to download I get a message re being unable to connect to license server. Hope situation is resolved
    Last edited by ubeda92; 05-03-14 at 03:48 PM.
    05-03-14 02:55 PM
    I just purchased 12 Years and Nebraska and got the "unable to connect to license server" message. However then out of frustration I kept quickly hitting the "Retry" button on Nebraska like I was tapping out Morse code and sure enough it finally started downloading it, and then 12 Years after that. I don't know how to explain this, but those of you who did not ask for a reimbursement should give it a try again and don't give up.
    05-03-14 11:03 PM
    Well I spoke too soon. Both movies took the usual 20 minutes or so to download, but when I try to play them I get another license error. Frustrating.
    05-03-14 11:37 PM
    Yeah, I tried the Morse code technique and each time it would fail the license server connection but download more of the movie. Then the download queue went empty and it said I used the 5 downloads. No way to contact them. Stick a fork in it, it's done. I told the credit card company to block the charge.
    05-04-14 08:02 AM
    Based on the experiences of ubeda92, shakingthrough, Gooseberry Falls and myself on the Video Store over the past couple of days, I thought for sure the Video Store was dead. After reading about the previous three posters' failed attempts to purchase movies, I decided to buy "Nebraska" even though I had not planned on getting it initially. I checked and found that it has good reviews, and I wanted to see for myself how dead the Video Store was by buying "Nebraska". That was yesterday. I received the receipt by email and it still contained their telephone number. It starts to download and then indicates it is trying to obtain the license but it fails to obtain it and stops downloading. I tried again and the same thing happened.

Late this morning (Pacific Time), I called the telephone number to see if I could get a refund but the same message played, indicating there was no one available to help. While contemplating whether I wanted to take the time to stop the transaction on my credit card, I decided to fire up the PlayBook and try downloading the movie again. It actually downloaded, though with a hiccup along the way.

Here's what happened. I started downloading at about 11:55 a.m. After downloading 16 MB, it indicated it was obtaining the license. It then continued downloading until the 42 MB mark when it stopped and indicated that it was unable to continue downloading, and to please retry. Well, since it said "please", I hit the retry button and it continued downloading where it left off. From that point on, there were no further problems until completion. It took about an hour and a half which is normal for my wifi speed. Shakingthrough's wifi must be on steroids if it usually takes him/her only 20 minutes to download a movie.

I then turned off wifi and played the movie. It plays fine. So I really do not know what to make of it. GF's sentiment to "Stick a fork in it, it's done" is completely understandable but yet I managed to download today the movie I purchased yesterday but was unable to download.

All I know is that I will be very careful making further purchases on the Video Store, as it seems they are on the way out. I will buy one at a time and make sure each one is successfully downloaded before making another purchase. Of course, I will only buy movies on sale for 99 cents to minimize loss if it is shut down for good.
    05-05-14 06:10 PM
    I live in California. Here's a short followup of my experiences, including some lingering problems.

This Monday (5-5) afternoon, I went to the downloads section of the Video Store, where my attempted downloads of Wolf of Wall St., 12 Years a Slave, and Descendants had been languishing.

I was able to complete downloads of these three movies.

I then ordered The Fighter, Nebraska, and True Grit.

I was able to successfully download The Fighter and Nebraska. Not True Grit.

If I lose 99 cents on True Grit no biggie, especially b/c I was forewarned about potential problems with that movie's downloading.

New Problem, however. When I go into the Video Store to check playback of these five new movies, occasionally clicking on the "Watch Now" button for one of the new movies takes me to another movie that I bought and downloaded prior to this weekend. I can still view these new movies by going to the Video app, where the movies can also be found. However, the Video app player doesn't have the 30 second rewind feature that the Video Store playback app has--a feature I find useful when watching movies on the Playbook or a monitor attached to the Playbook.

As far as contacting Rovi, the process is a complete mess. Nobody answers the phone. The contact link provided in the receipt sent by email doesn't work. Responding to the receipt emails generates error messages.

Minor Annoyance: Every time I go into the Video Store, I now have to accept the "End-User License Agreement." I'm sure the damn agreement isn't being revised every few minutes. How about making a record of my acceptance and not requiring another acceptance until the agreement is revised again?
    05-05-14 07:13 PM
    Has anyone tried contacting Rovi via online or another number?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-14 10:04 PM
    I was able to successfully purchase and download The Book Thief without issue. However, I also have to accept the user agreement every time I go into Video Store. It is a bit annoying. I wish there was a better way of viewing instead of having to go into the App. It would be nice to be able to just go into one's File Manager to view the movie purchased/downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-14 02:08 AM
    I was able to successfully purchase and download The Book Thief without issue. However, I also have to accept the user agreement every time I go into Video Store. It is a bit annoying. I wish there was a better way of viewing instead of having to go into the App. It would be nice to be able to just go into one's File Manager to view the movie purchased/downloaded.

Posted via CB10
    I wish that accepting the TOA was all that is annoying. LOL.
    As ubeba92 said, you can play them from your native video player icon but that app is not as full featured. I don't think they show up in File Manager and they don't play in Kalemsoft because of the DRM issue and the weird file format. Well, I suppose it does depend, as with most stores of this kind, on how busy the server is. I'll probably try again with The Book Thief. The dollar won't break me but it is the principle of not getting what you pay for. After the many d/l attempts with none completing and saying I have buy it again, that's not right. I've called the number at all times during the waking day and get the same recording. I've not called midnight to 6 am, LOL, but since all of the business is USA/Canada it doesn't make sense not to provide support in those time zones. The email link is definitely broken.
    05-06-14 10:07 AM
    Additional movies on sale for 99 cents each:

1. Baggage Claim
    2. Enough Said
    3. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
    4. The Way, Way Back
    5. Labor Day

Buy at your own risk. Before you buy, I suggest you read this thread, if not in its entirety, at least starting from Post #36 so you have an idea of the current status of the Video Store. As at 12:50 p.m. Pacific Time today, Rovi's Customer Service telephone number still cannot provide assistance, as the same recording indicating no help is available is still playing.

Nonetheless, I successfully purchased two movies, "Enough Said" and "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" this morning. They both downloaded properly. I intend to buy "Labor Day" and maybe "Baggage Claim" later this afternoon.
    05-07-14 03:00 PM
    Just for the heck of it, I tried to rebuy The Book Thief since they said I had used up the max 5 downloads. The pop up said that by their records, I had already bought it so are you sure you want to buy it again. I cancelled and went to My Library where it showed it as being not downloaded. I clicked it and there was a download button, which started the watch now feature and download queue. The movie downloaded successfully. So I unblocked the charge from my credit card. I also bought the Walter Mitty movie and that downloaded successfully. So I guess there must have been some maintenance going on with their servers that caused the problem or they fixed it...for now anyways. Still don't know why there is no way to contact them .
    05-08-14 07:50 AM
    Yesterday (May 7) downloaded "Enough Said" and "The Way, Way Back."

Still, after 3 days, haven't been able to download "True Grit , altho I've been charged for it.

Still occasionally clicking on the "Watch Now" button for one of the new movies takes me to another movie that I bought and downloaded prior to the last few days.
    05-08-14 10:57 AM
105 1234 ...