Hi, Can playbook playback .flv videos downloaded from youtube natively?
    Also, are there any apps for divx/mpeg/avi playback with different codecs?

If not, I can use Any Video Converter, if I know the best specs for playbook.
    03-30-12 02:09 PM
    playbook cannot playback .flv. your best video types for the PB are mp4 and avi.

if you can convert your files to either of those formats, you're a go
    03-30-12 02:29 PM
    Thanks, is this with the native player or can we get a 3rd Party player to increase compatibility.
    03-30-12 02:36 PM
    Playbook CAN play FLV files, just not in the native video player. There are a couple of apps in App World that play FLV files, one of which, MovieFLV player (99 cents) works pretty well.
    03-30-12 02:38 PM
    Also note that quite a few avi video files have the audio encoded with AC3. Playbook will not work with that. You will "see" the video but not hear it. I use Handbrake to convert these videos to m4v and change the audio.
    03-30-12 02:41 PM
    Also note that quite a few avi video files have the audio encoded with AC3. Playbook will not work with that. You will "see" the video but not hear it. I use Handbrake to convert these videos to m4v and change the audio.
    No sound on your BlackBerry PlayBook videos? No problem!
    04-10-12 07:08 AM
    Apparently these are supported formats,

04-10-12 03:02 PM
    Are there any free video player apps that I can try? I am really disappointed in the default video player, it does not support folders, it does not allow continuous playback, no options to fit to screen or auto adjust aspect ratio.

All I want is for player to play the videos one after another and be able to select the folder.
    Any ideas? If ther are no other options and if the paid video player app is worth it, I would be more than happy to pay for it.
    PatrickMJS and bodjor like this.
    05-02-12 12:52 AM
    Are there any free video player apps that I can try? I am really disappointed in the default video player, it does not support folders, it does not allow continuous playback, no options to fit to screen or auto adjust aspect ratio.

All I want is for player to play the videos one after another and be able to select the folder.
    Any ideas? If ther are no other options and if the paid video player app is worth it, I would be more than happy to pay for it.
    Ive been dying for a video app from the year was one as well...and for all the reason uve stated. Jeez ... My video folder is a messsssssssssssss. Everything is everywhere. It pains my soul to open it everytime. Really and honestly RIM some of the BS is really irritating and inexcusable.... Enough is enough, professional people needs to organize jeeeez. No bookmark management, no file manager... Sigh sigh sigh.
    FF22, PatrickMJS and bodjor like this.
    05-02-12 01:21 AM
    You can manage your Video folder by adding subfolders.
    The player will see all files.
    It would be nice if the player saw the folders also.
    05-02-12 05:07 AM
    Ive been dying for a video app from the year was one as well...and for all the reason uve stated. Jeez ... My video folder is a messsssssssssssss. Everything is everywhere. It pains my soul to open it everytime. Really and honestly RIM some of the BS is really irritating and inexcusable.... Enough is enough, professional people needs to organize jeeeez. No bookmark management, no file manager... Sigh sigh sigh.
    While the video player can definitely be improved, the lack of FOLDER ORGANIZATION after a YEAR is really Amateur Hour. I, too, find it unbelievable that we still can't make use of Folders for accessing files in the various apps.

Yes, you can do your private folder organization but the apps (other than picture/photo Albums) totally ignore such folders. Trying to attach a picture to an email is absolutely LAME.
    05-02-12 09:15 AM
    Angus, of course you can manage the videos folder into sub folders but what good is it when your video app lists all the videos you have in same window. Imagine you have TV shows, personal videos, kids videos, and work related videos, and you hook up your playbook and hit back or exit out of presentation by mistake, oops, sorry, I got my "Family Business" episodes there, hey there is Adam..

The other problem is even if you go through a file manager, there is no way to "Play All". This is really bad.

So if there is a really good video player app, I wouldn't mind paying few dollars for it. Maybe we can try Android video players. I thought Winamp could do it, turns out it doesn't support video on Android.

How about playlists? At least let us use playlists with videos!
    05-02-12 09:57 AM
    Meridian (needs to be sideloaded) sees folders and allows for the creation of playlists. Don't expect it to play anything other than MP4's , however.
    Anonymous9286410 likes this.
    05-02-12 11:33 AM
    That's fine, I converted everything to mp4 anyway (most of my collection was already in mp4 just in a lower resolution made for PSP) This whole thing is for my son, I got bunch of videos that I need to keep him occupied with and if the video playback stops after each video, he will start throwing the PB around.

I don't see Meridian, on the compatibility list. I guess bar was not created by anyone so far.
    05-02-12 11:48 AM
    I don't see Meridian, on the compatibility list. I guess bar was not created by anyone so far.
    org.iii.romulus.meridian_v2.1.6.bar
    Anonymous9286410 and bodjor like this.
    05-02-12 11:52 AM
    Wow, thank you so much. Did they move the files to mediafire? Everything else was on megashare and they were all offline.
    05-02-12 12:31 PM
    That's fine, I converted everything to mp4 anyway (most of my collection was already in mp4 just in a lower resolution made for PSP) This whole thing is for my son, I got bunch of videos that I need to keep him occupied with and if the video playback stops after each video, he will start throwing the PB around.

Hey!
    Are you able to have your PB play videos continuously?
    Do you know how to have PB play videos continuously?
    Thanks
    07-23-12 09:53 AM
    With Meridian, you can create playlists and play all the vids in the playlist continuously. Also, if you like, you can set the playlist to loop so it will play the playlist over and over again.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    07-23-12 11:05 AM
    Wow Pacoman 03, wow!!! I have been looking for a Playbook video player with the ability to play shuffle mode on the videos in a folder. Meridian perfectly suits the bill. Not fancy, but it works. Yes, it lets you know a paid upgrade is available (though, probably not for the PB). Yes it has a small spot where ads are shown as you scroll thru the options etc., not over the video itself.

Now I can set my PB by my tv and use it like a video jukebox when family & friends are over. Thanks so much for posting this link.

While I'm in my happy mode, I thought I'd comment that I found the Android style of interface a bit non-intuitive but gradually figured out how to make the videos in a folder play in shuffle mode.

First I had to specify which folders Meridian should look in. By default it looks in an Android\videos folder. You can add the PB video folder as follows. Once Meridian opens, swipe down from the top bezel to bring up the menu. Tap on "Preferences", then tap on "File System", then tap on "Include Media Folders".

At this point you have a list of the folders the program will look into for videos. The list at this point has only one entry, /Accounts/1000/Shared/Misc/Android. To add the main PB video folder to this list, tap "Add" at the top of the screen. This brings up a folder list, to back up to the top of the folder structure, tap the small white triangle to the left of the grey bar, just below "Select All". A list of top level folders comes up. To move down thru the folder structure, do a tap & hold on the name of the folder you want to drill down thru. Start with "Accounts", then "1000", then "Shared". Under Shared", you will see a list of its subfolders. The "Videos" folder is down further so you have scroll down to see it. Notice the checkboxes on the right. Tap on "Video" to place a checkmark there. Careful not to accidentally check any other folders as you're scrolling, unless you want those. Click "OK" at the bottom and the screen should revert to the folder list with your PB Videos folder now showing there.

Now swipe down from the top to bring up the menu, which includes a "back" button in the lower left corner. Do this 3 times to get back to the main Meridian screen.

(You might be able to skip the previous 3 paragraphs and just do this next part... not sure, I was learning as I was doing it.)

Now, tap "Folders" in the upper area. Now just drill down to the folder where you have your mp4 files. As above, a tap and short hold will drill down one level thru the folder structure. A tap and long hold will bring up a context menu where "Add to PlayQ" is one of the choices. Once you're in the folder with the videos you want to play, just pick whichever one you want to start with. Once it starts to play, swipe down from the top bezel to see all the menu options during play mode, go ahead and select "Seek Bar". On the video menu bar that appears, tap on the shuffle icon to the left of the "skip back" button. When it's highlighted in yellow, shuffle mode is engaged. If you want it to loop thru the folder continuously, tap the "loop" icon to the right of the "skip ahead" button.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 07-23-12 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Clarify/fix info
    FF22 likes this.
    07-23-12 03:04 PM
    Patrick:

Thanks for sharing. If I can muster more energy after another HIKE, I may give this a try. Just a few patches of snow but we were in the warmer climes of E. Washington. Taken with my 9930.
    07-23-12 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD