Last night we had the daughter & son-in-law over for dinner and afterwards we suggested playing Monopoly on the PB. I hooked it up to my hdtv via a nice long micro-HDMI cable and we sat on the couch playing the game in pass-n-play mode.

The young folks have an ipad2 at home (which they rarely take outside the house) and they have the $100 optional Apple video cable accessory that allows them to connect their tablet to their hdtv.

But I was quite surprised when they said their iPad can only play movies via the cable, not Monopoly or any other games or apps. Not saying they're wrong, but I find this hard to believe. The son-in-law was quite adamant on this point and was hinting that he is hoping to get a PB for Xmas.

Can anyone else confirm or refute or perhaps clarify this for me?
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-04-12 11:44 AM
    But I was quite surprised when they said their iPad can only play movies via the cable, not Monopoly or any other games or apps. Not saying they're wrong, but I find this hard to believe.
    I have an iPad 1, and I can back their claims.
    I believe the "New iPad" can mirror everything, but I'm not 100% positive on that.
    Last edited by blaze_125; 09-04-12 at 12:06 PM.
    09-04-12 11:58 AM
    I'd be surprised if the iPad couldn't display everything like the PlayBook. Ofcourse, I'd expect it to just show up on the TV screen as soon as it's connected. Based on that idea, I'd at least assume that in your son-in-law's case, it's not as simple. Maybe somethings needs to be configured that we don't have to deal with on a PlayBook.

On a side-note, boy do I like playing with those dice. I could toss em around all day. They sound great.
    09-04-12 12:03 PM
    Ofcourse, I'd expect it to just show up on the TV screen as soon as it's connected.
    It does not.
    As stated in my first post, I believe the "New iPad"(the third one) can mirror everything, from "desktop" to Apps, but the iPad1 and iPad2 can not. Only a handful of stuff gets mirrored.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-04-12 12:08 PM
    I am not sure whether it depends on the iOS version or the iPad model, but there was definitely a time when you had to jailbreak an iPad to do full mirroring. I can't test this as I use my conputer as my TV.
    09-04-12 12:09 PM
    with the iOS5 that came out last year, you can airplay or mirror everything you do on your tablet wirelessly to your TV. This works with the ipad2 as well as the new ipad.

However, you do need to purchase the appleTV which will run you $100. You don't need a $100 cable.

I find it to be much better and than the plug-in HDMI style on my PB which limits you to the length of your cable. Sort of like the old house phones vs cordless phones.

Quality on the airplay is impressive with no lags, but I find it that my iphone gets a bit warm at times when using airplay. The ipad does not have this problem for some reason.

$100 is also a bit much, but the apple tv does a couple of other functions that justifies the cost. Including Airplay-facetime, itunes music, photostream, youtube, nexflix hulu, NBA, NHL, and other on demand features.

I love to HDMI feature for when going to some one else's house or Hotels, etc.

Playing games at home, where you are passing the device back and forth, wireless is the way to go.
    09-04-12 01:00 PM
    Yup the HDMI output is limited on the iPad.. Even after that, the resolution problems don't help either. Airplay, AppleTV & a home router are the solution to the probblem. Good thing is you will be wireless for 100$.

Myself got the 10-feet hdmi cable.. Makes for comfortable use.. Played the Life game a few times!

The PlayBook will be upgraded in future to support free-DLNA which will enable wireless sharing between DLNA devices simply through home router with seamless connectivity.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-04-12 01:01 PM
    with the iOS5 that came out last year, you can airplay or mirror everything you do on your tablet wirelessly to your TV. This works with the ipad2 as well as the new ipad.

However, you do need to purchase the appleTV which will run you $100. You don't need a $100 cable.

I find it to be much better and than the plug-in HDMI style on my PB which limits you to the length of your cable. Sort of like the old house phones vs cordless phones.

Quality on the airplay is impressive with no lags, but I find it that my iphone gets a bit warm at times when using airplay. The ipad does not have this problem for some reason.

$100 is also a bit much, but the apple tv does a couple of other functions that justifies the cost. Including Airplay-facetime, itunes music, photostream, youtube, nexflix hulu, NBA, NHL, and other on demand features.

I love to HDMI feature for when going to some one else's house or Hotels, etc.

Playing games at home, where you are passing the device back and forth, wireless is the way to go.
    Just buy ps3/xbox instead?
    09-04-12 01:09 PM
    haha.. I hear you man! have xbox too!. But not a big gaming fan. table or console.

my post was more just to answer the OP's questions..

I use the appleTV for music and facetime more than anything. With a single swipe, it beams the music I'm listening to on the home TV(Stereo).
    09-04-12 01:25 PM
    I use my BB mini keyboard to play monopoly wirelessly from the couch.
    09-04-12 01:58 PM
    I miss the PS3 days. Only being able to play my games from a single room at home. Watching DDvs that I'd rented from Blockbuster. A web browser with personality. Dusting it along with the rest of the furniture. Rubbing discs on my magic belly when the games froze. TV units! Stereo systems! My dad's LP collection, organised alphabetically. Press play on tape!

Sent one-handed from my BlackBerry PlayBook through a digital touch screen keyboard, secured to my car windshield, connected through my mobile hotspot, as I wait at a stop light browsing forum posts, listening to my stored Rockin' 80's playlist through my car's speakers, ooh rock me Amadeus, hoping that I don't get pulled over because the police wanna have my babies.
    09-04-12 02:13 PM
    I miss the PS3 days. Only being able to play my games from a single room at home. Watching DDvs that I'd rented from Blockbuster. A web browser with personality. Dusting it along with the rest of the furniture. Rubbing discs on my magic belly when the games froze. TV units! Stereo systems! My dad's LP collection, organised alphabetically. Press play on tape!

Sent one-handed from my BlackBerry PlayBook through a digital touch screen keyboard, secured to my car windshield, connected through my mobile hotspot, as I wait at a stop light browsing forum posts, listening to my stored Rockin' 80's playlist through my car's speakers, ooh rock me Amadeus, hoping that I don't get pulled over because the police wanna have my babies.
    That's one lengthy red light
    09-04-12 02:38 PM
    That's one lengthy red light
    What can I say? I brake for BlackBerry.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    09-04-12 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD