What formats can this play, mine won't play xvid or ac3 files.. seems it will just play .avi?

Kind of lame, any feedback?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-14-12 01:35 AM
    What formats can this play, mine won't play xvid or ac3 files.. seems it will just play .avi?

No it plays more than just avi. I forget the exact list. Just buy kalemsoft media player, it plays most of the videos the native player won't
    phylez likes this.
    10-14-12 01:39 AM

PlayBook plays avi, mkv, mp4, m4v, and wmv that I know of. But, buy KalemSoft Media Player, $6.99 US. Never tried it, but the reviews say it will almost anything.
    10-14-12 07:38 AM
    There's a thread on CrackBerry somewhere that goes into detail about how to convert video and audio files to playable formats. I rip my own DVDs and Blu-Ray discs to playable formats using DVDFab but for existing files there's a program which I think is called Avidemax that will reconvert into usable formats. I've used it quite often too and it works very well, no degradation from the original file. I don't have the name with me as it's on my laptop and I'm out of town, but I'll post it here once I get home later today.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    10-14-12 07:58 AM
    The pdf:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...English%29.pdf

But it can play mkv with the appropriate audio codec.
    10-14-12 08:56 AM
    Link for info and download for Avidemux:

Avidemux - Main Page
    10-14-12 06:53 PM
    Thanks guys for the info
    11-10-12 05:10 PM
    Playbook can play everything only issue is the file cannot play DTS or AC3 audio. There is a very simple way to encode a file so it can play on your playbook you just need to download a free program called Xmedia Recode.

HOW TO DO IT:
    1) Download and install XMedia Recode (hxxp://www.xmedia-recode.de/)
    2) Launch XMedia Recode.
    Playbook video compatibility?-1.jpg
    3) Drag and drop your MKV into the program.
    4) Select the MKV you want to convert.
    Playbook video compatibility?-2.jpg
    5) Under Format Tab, change the Format the MP4 and the video codec to MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio codec to AAC.
    6) Under the Video Tab, check the box that says "Video copy."
    Playbook video compatibility?-3.jpg
    7) Now, under the Audio Track 1 Tab, check to box "Audio copy" if AAC is your default soundtrack. If it's DTS or anything else, choose Bitrate 448 and change Channels to 5.1 (or if you have only 2 channels, choose Stereo).
    8) Hit Add Job, then Encode.
    9) If everything was done right, it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes on a Core 2 Duo machine to save the file as an MP4. and there is no degredation in quality (at least that i can see)

Hope this helps as its such a great device.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    11-10-12 05:33 PM
    the two main programmes that people use to convert video files are the Freemake and Handbrake with a preference for the formerone as it comes with presets for playbook. I've used them both to convert DVDs and I'm happy with the results.
    11-10-12 05:43 PM
    I started using KalemSoft Media Player to play all my videos. It handles ac3 audio and so far all other video formats that I've thrown at it.
    11-10-12 05:57 PM
    Hi, I hope its ok to piggy back on this thread but I have a problem going the other way.

Just got my PB last week, took some vids - downloaded them on to my PC and my WMP ver 11 wont play/ recognize.

yea, its not the newest PC - running XP- but it does me fine this is the first issue I have with videos.

I did do some googling and came up with the info on Codec and downloaded some stuff but didnt seem to work so I hope you bright minds can assist me.

TIA

G
    11-14-12 06:19 PM
    Hi, I hope its ok to piggy back on this thread but I have a problem going the other way.

Just got my PB last week, took some vids - downloaded them on to my PC and my WMP ver 11 wont play/ recognize.

yea, its not the newest PC - running XP- but it does me fine this is the first issue I have with videos.

I did do some googling and came up with the info on Codec and downloaded some stuff but didnt seem to work so I hope you bright minds can assist me.

TIA

G
    Hi, you probably need to update your codecs. I don't like windows media player you should download VLC Player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It pretty much plays anything.
    11-18-12 05:20 PM