Why is the video chat application NOT supported in a lot of countries? I really dont get it. Is this a RIM issue or is it a specific countrys regulations. I currently live in Saudi Arabia and Skype DOES work here, however, the Playbooks video chat is unsupported in this region.

I just got my mom a Playbook and shes traveling at the moment and she was excited to video chat with me until I broke the news to her.

So the question is, why is the video chat not supported here (and other neighboring countries) but supported elsewhere Is this a RIM issue or a country regulation issue. If Skype is allowed here, why wouldnt the Playbooks video chat application be allowed?
    07-31-12 07:28 AM
    Country regulations. They typically will determine whether or not an app complies with their regulations.
    07-31-12 07:29 AM
    Skype can be monitored by the countries security services whereas BBM and playbooks video chat is a little more difficult to monitor.
    07-31-12 07:38 AM
    Google BLACKBERRY KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLE KB27203. Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates do not permit many things.
    der_mit and bungaboy like this.
    07-31-12 07:38 AM
    Google BLACKBERRY KNOWLEDGE BASE ARTICLE KB27203. Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates do not permit many things.
    Good list but:

Stupid kb has an overlay box covering the last 4 columns - tried in both firefox and IE! The overlay is for facebook, etc.
    07-31-12 10:26 AM
    I agree and complained to RIM about it and they did clear up many of their KB sheets. The page I viewed did not have the overlay covering the last four title columns. Here they are listed from left to right (last 4 only). BBC PLAYER, SLACKER RADIO, NEWS, YOUTUBE.
    07-31-12 10:37 AM
    I was out working in Dubai a few weeks ago and my UK playbook video chat worked ok back to my sons PB in Blighty.
    07-31-12 11:05 AM
    I agree and complained to RIM about it and they did clear up many of their KB sheets. The page I viewed did not have the overlay covering the last four title columns. Here they are listed from left to right (last 4 only). BBC PLAYER, SLACKER RADIO, NEWS, YOUTUBE.
    Here's an image (used Aardvark to remove offending overlay) of the top of the chart for those in the top countries and last 4 columns:
    07-31-12 12:11 PM
    I was out working in Dubai a few weeks ago and my UK playbook video chat worked ok back to my sons PB in Blighty.
    That's interesting to know. I was in Dubai only a few months back and it always told me the video chat application is not supported in this region. Not doubting you, but it's interesting to know it worked even though the Video Chat app is checked as a "no" in the knowledge base article for the UAE. I'll check again next time I'm back there.

It really does suck for us users who live in this region who cannot enjoy these features. I don't usually video chat, but maybe I will be inclined to do so more often one day if it was as easy as launching an app and chatting.

Bummer...
    08-02-12 02:55 AM
    Quick update:

Somehow, the video chat now works in Saudi Arabia which is a major welcomed surprise.
    09-06-12 03:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD