I tried reelportal on WiFi with no problems. But connecting on 3G I had no success. I could see my friend was in the room by clicking on a face, and seeing the info, but neither of us could see any video from the other. Any thoughts? I am using a Playbook paired with a Torch. My friend was on a computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArcticStorm1971; 05-10-11 at 04:07 AM.
    05-10-11 02:53 AM
    i have no luck using reelportal, it always stuck on "connecting ti server"
    It's probably your firewall blocking port 1935. You can try running your own ReelPortal server within your network.

The server is extremely easy to run. The instructions are provided in
    the zip files. For example, if you have a Windows machine on your
    network, you download the Windows version of the server, then open a
    DOS prompt, go to where you unzipped the files, and type:

> server-win.exe server-ip-address

where "server-ip-address" is the IP address of your Windows machine
    (e.g. 192.162.1.10).

Then you run ReelPortal on the Playbook, and enter the same
    "server-ip-address" address into the Server field. Hopefully, given
    that they are both on the same network, they should be able to
    connect.
    05-10-11 02:25 PM
    I tried reelportal on WiFi with no problems. But connecting on 3G I had no success. I could see my friend was in the room by clicking on a face, and seeing the info, but neither of us could see any video from the other. Any thoughts? I am using a Playbook paired with a Torch. My friend was on a computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think it's another firewall issue that's blocking P2P (UDP packets) connection. Try turn off P2P (button 7) in ReelPortal, tell your friend as well. P2P is faster/better, but the client/server mode is the backup in cases like this. You will have more lag though, because the streams are going thru the server.

On second thought, if the 3G provider decides to block port 1935 (used in client/server mode) too, then you are out of luck.
    Last edited by reelportal; 05-10-11 at 02:40 PM.
    05-10-11 02:29 PM
    Thanks for the reply reelportal. I tried your suggestion with the P2P, and it worked. Both of us had to switch it..me on 3G and my friend on a computer. As soon as we did this, we had video. And it didnt lag too badly at all.

As a truck driver, this is exactly what I was looking for to be able to visually stay intouch. Thank you.

If anyone is interested, this was done on the Bell Mobility Network in Canada.

Martin
    05-11-11 06:43 AM
    @ArticStorm - glad you got it working on your 3G.

I'd appreciate it if you rate positive for my app in the App World.
    05-11-11 10:56 PM
    wifi at the hotel i was staying sucked this past week, very unstable and weak...i tethered my PBook to my Torch, and used ReelPortal with my son back home, hence he on wifi, me on 3G tethered....a fair result...nothing too great but OK.....

wifi to wifi works well.....again, inferior to skype or facetime exepriences i've had but good enough for a quick chat and interaction.......

appreciate this option while no other alternative exists for video chatting with other non-PBook users....
    05-15-11 01:19 PM
    @bbmikebb Can you elaborate on what you find inferior (video quality, audio, etc)? If video, what resolution and framerate were you using, at both ends. Thanks.
    05-15-11 02:57 PM
    @bbmikebb Can you elaborate on what you find inferior (video quality, audio, etc)? If video, what resolution and framerate were you using, at both ends. Thanks.
    At this point I'm not sure I can provide all the details. I did not 'note' the specs...but they were default...no change to settings except use of the 'improve video quality' 'buttons' on the screen....

I'm a believer that wifi signals in some hotels, if not most, is very unstable and weak....this could be a factor...

the video quality and audio were 'choppy' at times...but overall...good...
    05-15-11 07:57 PM
    I see. Unfortunately if the bandwidth is not there, quality would suffer. There are some settings that allow you to prioritize the streams. For example, if audio is more important, you can lower the resolution and framerate of the video. Or if you want good video, but is okay with having just stop-action snapshots, set the resolution to 640x480, but a low framerate of just 1 fps. Basically, ReelPortal allows you do decide on the trade-offs.

The default resolution is at 320x240, 6 frames/sec. If you have good bandwidth, I'd suggest use 640x480 at 15 fps. These settings are in additions to the (encoding) video quality settings via button 5 & 6, which also affect bandwidth usage.
    05-15-11 09:36 PM
    I see. Unfortunately if the bandwidth is not there, quality would suffer. There are some settings that allow you to prioritize the streams. For example, if audio is more important, you can lower the resolution and framerate of the video. Or if you want good video, but is okay with having just stop-action snapshots, set the resolution to 640x480, but a low framerate of just 1 fps. Basically, ReelPortal allows you do decide on the trade-offs.

The default resolution is at 320x240, 6 frames/sec. If you have good bandwidth, I'd suggest use 640x480 at 15 fps. These settings are in additions to the (encoding) video quality settings via button 5 & 6, which also affect bandwidth usage.
    05-15-11 09:37 PM
    just got vid chat but no friends with pb to try it out
    05-16-11 12:07 AM
    I'm game! No naked dudes tho!!
    05-16-11 12:48 PM
    any word on the echoing/feedback? for me, it kinda makes trying to talk silly. any advice?
    05-16-11 04:48 PM
    any word on the echoing/feedback? for me, it kinda makes trying to talk silly. any advice?
    the audio problem is an Adobe AIR/Flash issue. i had let Adobe know, and they are working to fix it. they have echo cancellation in beta testing on the desktop, so it will come to android/playbook soon i hope. for now, you should use a headset, or bluetooth speakerphone.

Adobe is working furiously to provide that capability in AIR/Flash .
    05-16-11 05:17 PM
    Echo cancellation is now implemented for Flash 10.3 (web browser), on desktop PC. Please provide feedback (the text kind :]) if you try.

More info: Reel Talk - www.ReelPortal.com: Echo Cancellation Update
    05-22-11 12:53 AM
    hello guys and gals,

I'm new here and very eager to test out the Video Chat.

I dont mind leaving my email here

[email protected]

feel free to add me.
    05-22-11 06:03 AM
    hello guys and gals,

I'm new here and very eager to test out the Video Chat.

I dont mind leaving my email here

[email protected]

feel free to add me.
    Tried to connect with you... It says a firewall is preventing the connection. I successfully chatted with others just a few days ago so I believe it is a problem with your internet, not mine.
    05-22-11 09:20 AM
    maxsisprime@gmail. Cant wait to try this out.
    06-11-11 08:04 PM
    just bought my playbook. hope to try it with someone to see how it works.
    06-19-11 07:04 PM
    [email protected] i was looking for this the whole day
    10-12-11 06:04 PM
    Add me to video chat:

[email protected]
    11-13-11 09:07 AM
    [email protected]

Feel free to add me for video chat... male or female no difference
    01-07-12 08:42 AM
    i dont mind
    01-08-12 05:22 PM
    I want to try the video feature. willing to test then delete contact. message me.
    01-15-12 05:36 PM
    sure why not
    [email protected]
    01-15-12 09:17 PM
182 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD