they should try to integrate this with Skype, if we're not getting a skype app soon.
    Yes this is what I hoped for. Either that or that they would make an PB video chat app available for a PC users. Especially with the new found relationship with Microsoft.
    05-04-11 01:58 PM
    I am not sure RIM explored the entire consequences of using an EMAIL ADDRESS for the new Rim-ID. With the old PIN concept, you could just stop the bbm acceptance of certain PINS. Now you are revealing an email address, opening it to spam.

I hope they reconsider this methodology.

I completely agree.

I also wish they had been more clear how they were planning to use the BBID so I didn't use my main email address. I've been kicking myself for that one but I did it without thought when signing into App World for the first time on my phone. I would have used a new one for the PlayBook if I realized that's what I'd have to give out.
    05-04-11 02:22 PM
    tried it with a few people already in here works well video and even just audio on it's own...
    05-04-11 02:47 PM
    I've done 2 video chats, worked pretty well, one I called, the other they called,

MAN is the "ringer" loud!! I hope someone taps into that "ringer" for an alarm app!
    05-04-11 05:57 PM
    Works good. if anyone wants to test with me, PM me your BBID
    05-04-11 05:58 PM
    I completely agree.

I also wish they had been more clear how they were planning to use the BBID so I didn't use my main email address. I've been kicking myself for that one but I did it without thought when signing into App World for the first time on my phone. I would have used a new one for the PlayBook if I realized that's what I'd have to give out.

I Wiped my playbook with a security wipe and redid it with a NEW email address I set up specifically for my BBID moving forward, but I REALLY hare the BBID idea with email addresses, do a LiveProfile or ICQ thing and assign a number for public use and Hide the email address. give NEW numbers an alpha numeric 12 digit number, and away we go!
    05-04-11 06:00 PM
    I would like to try this out.... Bbm me 22D2CA83

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-11 06:31 PM
    SmakBerry are you on Twitter?
    05-04-11 06:40 PM
    this should work

[email protected]

i'd like to test it as well
    05-04-11 07:33 PM
    haha i would video chat with smakberry as well
    05-04-11 08:23 PM
    I Wiped my playbook with a security wipe and redid it with a NEW email address I set up specifically for my BBID moving forward, but I REALLY hare the BBID idea with email addresses, do a LiveProfile or ICQ thing and assign a number for public use and Hide the email address. give NEW numbers an alpha numeric 12 digit number, and away we go!
    The security wipe is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. They definitely should have some way to hide the email address whether it's assigning random numbers, using usernames, etc. I guess we'll see if they get enough feedback to change it.
    05-04-11 08:55 PM
    just tested with captainachos video frozen up after 30 secs or so, andchad trouble reconnecting. i would like to try it out again. if anyone wants to as well pin me @ 306BDF2B
    05-04-11 09:28 PM
    just tested with captainachos video frozen up after 30 secs or so, andchad trouble reconnecting. i would like to try it out again. if anyone wants to as well pin me @ 306BDF2B
    yea, that was bad... i just tested again with a buddy that just got a pb and worked perfectly. not sure if there was something wrong on my end or what.
    05-04-11 10:16 PM
    Thanks for the test!
    Dude, any chance you could edit your post and remove my BBID from where you quoted me? I've had my quota of strangers calling

Thanks
    05-04-11 11:54 PM
    Anyone ever seen the chat roulette south park episode? Lol. Um yeah...

05-05-11 12:07 AM
    Willing to test out the video chat app but don't know anyone with a PlayBook. Just PM me for more info.
    05-05-11 01:00 AM
    05-05-11 01:57 AM
    email Skype!!!!!
    Did just that. Their customer service response was non-committal. Basically along the lines of It takes time, they cannot provide a time frame for development or a commitment that they will develop skype for a specific device.
    05-05-11 07:33 AM
    I completely agree.

Another option would be to allow us to generate bar codes like we already have with our pins. These could link users while keeping the bbid private...maybe even revealing a friendly name instead.
    05-05-11 08:14 AM
    So theres a new app on appworld called ReelPortal. Its an adobe air based video chat app that works on multiple platforms including playbook, android and pc. It actually seems to work pretty well though the interface is a little confusing at first. If you want to check it out and see if it works, download the app, enter anything as your nickname, and then just type in "playbook" as the room name. Who knows, maybe it will become a thing,
    05-05-11 10:40 AM
    Did just that. Their customer service response was non-committal. Basically along the lines of It takes time, they cannot provide a time frame for development or a commitment that they will develop skype for a specific device.
    We need to make their customer service realize it is an issue that wont go away without proper attention.
    05-05-11 10:56 AM
    Just a few tips for anyone trying ReelPortal. Turn off p2p. Turn off mics and use text chat. Theres lots of feedack unless you wear headphones or only have one mic on at a time.
    05-05-11 11:13 AM
    So theres a new app on appworld called ReelPortal. Its an adobe air based video chat app that works on multiple platforms including playbook, android and pc. It actually seems to work pretty well though the interface is a little confusing at first. If you want to check it out and see if it works, download the app, enter anything as your nickname, and then just type in "playbook" as the room name. Who knows, maybe it will become a thing,
    good to know theres already something cross platform. im going to check it out.

thanks

edit... does it work on 3g or still wifi only?
    05-05-11 11:22 AM
    Ok, I will take *the NEXT post*

" Who asks for a "smackberry" channel first" pool.
    05-05-11 11:24 AM
    good to know theres already something cross platform. im going to check it out.

thanks

edit... does it work on 3g or still wifi only?
    It should work with any kind of connection. you can adjust the quality accordingly. ps, just had a video session with 3 people. worked really smooth except audio. i still havent gotten the official rim app to wori right though
    Last edited by medic3160; 05-05-11 at 11:34 AM. Reason: addition
    05-05-11 11:32 AM
182 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD