Is the viewable part of the screen bigger on the PlayBook?
    07-22-12 05:46 PM
    Nexus 7: 32 seconds
    PlayBook: 2 minutes, 52 seconds

Also, yes, the viewable area on the PlayBook is slightly larger, since the Nexus 7 has the navigation buttons at the bottom. Depending on the app, the area reserved for these buttons may be pretty small (watching videos), but it's still slightly smaller than the PlayBook.
    07-22-12 05:58 PM

Also, yes, the viewable area on the PlayBook is slightly larger, since the Nexus 7 has the navigation buttons at the bottom. Depending on the app, the area reserved for these buttons may be pretty small (watching videos), but it's still slightly smaller than the PlayBook.
    Dude you just beat me to it, yes it's no contest as far as the start up.
    07-22-12 06:06 PM
    Going back to the display (and especially contrast), here's a shot looking down at the two tablets. While not a perfect example, I agree with how the Nexus 7 doesn't offer the same contrast as the PlayBook (things are a little more washed out regardless of brightness settings).

PlayBook is on top.
    07-22-12 06:23 PM
    Just got my new Nexus7 set up. My Netgear router needs a trip to the psychiatrist so had to use a ZyXEL mini that I got from Amazon for less than $20. Good for spare and travel. The Nexus7 has not impressed me greatly yet. I must be the way I am holding it but it keeps jumping from screen to screen. Tried to write an email while holding it and it kept jumping to other screens. Finally had to lay on the table and it still jumped to other screens. The email app seems much poorer than that in the BBPB. The typing is not so hot with typewriter overly sensitive. So far the BBPB seems better. I gave my daughter one and she took it with her when she and her husband went on trips. It impressed him enogh that he has bought a 64GB but then it was only competingg with a Kindle Fire.
    07-22-12 11:33 PM
    Just got my new Nexus7 set up. My Netgear router needs a trip to the psychiatrist so had to use a ZyXEL mini that I got from Amazon for less than $20. Good for spare and travel. The Nexus7 has not impressed me greatly yet. I must be the way I am holding it but it keeps jumping from screen to screen. Tried to write an email while holding it and it kept jumping to other screens. Finally had to lay on the table and it still jumped to other screens. The email app seems much poorer than that in the BBPB. The typing is not so hot with typewriter overly sensitive. So far the BBPB seems better. I gave my daughter one and she took it with her when she and her husband went on trips. It impressed him enogh that he has bought a 64GB but then it was only competingg with a Kindle Fire.

You are mostly likely hitting the buttons on the bottom on the screen...Youre use to a large bezel probably...
    07-22-12 11:46 PM
    You are mostly likely hitting the buttons on the bottom on the screen...Youre use to a large bezel probably...
    Yep you are probably right- love those large bezels.
    07-23-12 12:30 AM
    Actually, the screen activating itself is a known issue with some of these units (similar to the screen lifting up from the bezel on some). You may need a replacement unit, though good luck finding one.
    07-23-12 01:11 AM
    screen, navigation, hardware quality and feel... locking/unlocking..playbook wins. nothing beats it in terms of ergonomics, not even an ipad.
    my gtab 8.9 sometimes get confused with orientation of the apps (if you are not setting it to automatic)...and having to press power button to unlock is downright lame while you get used to just swipe on the screen (on a playbook.

but when it comes to apps (quantity and quality) android wins, hands down. and that is with honeycomb apps which are not as good as gingerbread/phone apps (designed for small screen).
    its amazing that you can use native greader combined with read it later/pocket. even native greader is very good already... sadly none of the playbook apps get close to the above.
    07-23-12 02:29 AM

I'm told that the app gesture control hides the buttons but I haven't tried that myself yet...
    07-23-12 05:27 AM
    lol, not a fanboi of any hardware but I'll offer some notes if you like.

Screen, while the PB's has a bit more saturation the N7 has a more natural colours ( just a quick
    eye test against an IPS colour calibrated monitor). As a photographer the natural colours are
    more important to me **BUT** gamers/movie buffs higher saturation for is going to be nicer to have.

Depends what you do.

Brightness, the PB is brighter - but most of the time my brightness is half anyway so I put them in
    full brightness and took them outside ( some nice sun at the moment ) to see how the PB's brighter screen helps. Conclusion ? both pants get a kindle eink screen.

One area that N7 has over the PB though is the resolution and that is quite noticeable.

Build quality.

N7 I've not had any of those problems and the device does not feel and look cheap quite the other way round really. The power button is far to close to the volume rocker but they have a nice motion.

My PB I can't lay down flat - I don't have a dock for it and rocks over the RIM logo bulge, I had a look at some others and they rock over the bugle so was present in quite a few devices. Lots of report's at the time (short memory's ) and I HAD to get a case for this problem. in fact when placed on a flat table ( my work station desk is glass) I can spin the PB

oh charging from dead is terrible and the power switch and volume rockers are not very good (which makes them hard to use when in the PB journal case - ESP the power button). But didn't later PB's have a taller power button?

Ergonomics, I find them both easy to hold but my partners smaller hands likes the curvier edges of the
    N7 better to hold the device - they edges don't cut in into her hands.

CPU & GPU - The N7 uses a newer and faster Soc, ran it through some GPU shader tests and it's not bad at all. CPU - they both pretty capable but I'm more interested in GPU.

QNX v Android, not even going to try.

I believe if PB was selling then RIM would have kept the price higher - the N7 was designed for this price bracket.
    07-23-12 05:34 AM
    Except that's not a start up on the PB but just a "wake up" from sleep. A real start up takes almost three minutes.
    ... and you don't have to do it often... swipe to wake up is how the PB is used daily.
    07-23-12 10:56 AM
    I have been owning and using a Nexus 7 for the past 3 weeks. So far I have seen no problems. At average I use it for about 4 hours a day and its the best tablet I have ever had.

I own the new iPad, and I would like to say I think the Nexus 7 is almost as good as the iPad and its price definatley is a plus point.

Although comparing it to the playbook is definatley stupid because it's a million times better than the playbook. First of all it has millions of apps and games, it has its own store called the play store.

Do people buy tablets just to stare at how it looks like or do they buy tablets to do things on it. I mean everyone is saying the Nexus 7 is made from cheap plastic.

So what that's the reason it has a such a great price. The playbook however doesn't have as many apps as the Nexus 7.

Its build is however better but what are you going to do by have a metal pice on your tablet when you can't even get lots of apps and games.

I might not own a playbook but my friend sure does and it is really hard to operate, it has no fun games are no awesome apps.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about if something has happened to your Nexus 7 got the Nexus 7 forums, why are you over here complaining about the Nexus 7.

Don't get me wrong the Nexus 7 is a million times better than the playbook, but as a work tablet the playbook is awesome
    08-01-12 06:30 PM
    ^^^This is as much fun as reading the random predictive text posts that were the rage a few months ago... It almost make sense.
    08-01-12 08:56 PM
164 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD