Not bad actually, but could be better if the speaker was facing you. That's a design advantage that the PB has over all others.
    A company has accidentally sold a lot of dock where the nexus sits back to front so you will be able to hear the speaker just fine... Just don't expect to see anything...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-12 02:27 PM
    This whole REAR speaker thing is obviously the winning of form (appearance) over function. Would not want speakers to interfere with the clean look of a slab of glass even if the sound is muffled by a rear placement. Rim got that right.
    07-21-12 06:02 PM
    This whole REAR speaker thing is obviously the winning of form (appearance) over function. Would not want speakers to interfere with the clean look of a slab of glass even if the sound is muffled by a rear placement. Rim got that right.
    I agree. I'm one who criticizes RIM when I think they deserve it, but I will also give them credit where is due. It's nice to put the PB on that Otterbox stand when listening to the radio and let it fill the entire room with great sound.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-21-12 06:13 PM
    How do you get flash on the N7? Is it as simple as loading the apk?
    07-21-12 08:49 PM
    How do you get flash on the N7? Is it as simple as loading the apk?
    I just installed the Puffin browser directly from the Google Play store, the $2.99 version that is, it supports flash OK. There's a thread over at Android central with a step by step regarding the apk.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 07-21-12 at 09:00 PM.
    07-21-12 08:55 PM
    And since my new tab starts in a few seconds, the playbook trying to start up looks like a half-dead nineties laptop.
    I bezel swipe mine in a split second, makes 2 second startup pretty slow.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-21-12 09:30 PM
    I have the PlayBook and a galaxy tab and by far the playbook is a much more refined device. Android has issues with their software in which too many apps don't play nice with the OS and this caused too many issues with the stability of the device. If you read android forums you will see that many users complain about the compatibility of certain apps with certain devices. When you go on to google play they now tell you if the app is compatible with your device. The worst part is if you don't look for this any app will download on your device and this is where the problems begin.
    07-21-12 10:04 PM
    I sold my PlayBook while traveling through Mexico the last few months, to a very bright student who couldn't afford the inflated PB costs in Mexico. Yes, they were averaging about $8,500 pesos, here in the US about $2,500 pesos.

I sold it thinking I would just buy another with more memory, then I started reading about the Nexus 7.

I've been back in the USA for about 2 weeks and have had my Nexus for just a few days, I love it.

I do miss the excellent cameras and clear video of my PB, and the fact I could bridge it with my BB phone. However, I don't miss the sad feelings I would have looking at AppWorld, the frustration I would have waiting for the PB to boot, and not being able to video chat with my friends.

All of that said, I will still be with BB for my phone service, and if I catch a good deal maybe another PB with anticipation of BB10.
    07-21-12 10:17 PM
    Interesting to see the latest article on Engadget raving about the Nexus ability to connect, via an app called Wi-Fi Media to a 90.00 HTC Media Link HD which would then allow the Nexus to display movies (except .avi) and other items onto a television.

I suppose it's cool - then again, I just connect the Playbook to a TV via an HDMI cord and be done with the whole thing. The cost, 8.99
    ralfyguy and gwinegarden like this.
    07-22-12 12:16 AM
    Just tried this with my nexus, as far as I can tell if you cannot download apps that do not work, the install button does not appear.

I have the PlayBook and a galaxy tab and by far the playbook is a much more refined device. Android has issues with their software in which too many apps don't play nice with the OS and this caused too many issues with the stability of the device. If you read android forums you will see that many users complain about the compatibility of certain apps with certain devices. When you go on to google play they now tell you if the app is compatible with your device. The worst part is if you don't look for this any app will download on your device and this is where the problems begin.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-22-12 06:00 AM
    Decided to take some photos of my PlayBook next to the Nexus 7 to show the size differences (fairly slight overall, though the Nexus isn't as wide).

As for the display, the PlayBook is brighter on max settings, and has a bit better contrast from what I can tell. One of these days I may play with my display caibrator to see if I can get some actual numbers on display quality for you guys.
    07-22-12 06:49 AM
    Decided to take some photos of my PlayBook next to the Nexus 7 to show the size differences (fairly slight overall, though the Nexus isn't as wide).

As for the display, the PlayBook is brighter on max settings, and has a bit better contrast from what I can tell. One of these days I may play with my display caibrator to see if I can get some actual numbers on display quality for you guys.
    The Playbook is definately better for viewing outdoors in bright sunshine than my Nexus 7. However, my Asus Transformer Infinity TF700 is the best tablet for outdoor viewing I have ever used.
    07-22-12 07:52 AM
    The Nexus speakers are really terrible. Really terrible. In comparison, the Playbook has outstanding speakers even though objectively they are only okay.
    07-22-12 10:48 AM
    A well written review that seemed fair and unbiased. Much better than I could do and I learned something from reading it. Thank you for posting lawguyman.
    07-22-12 10:53 AM
    I sold my PlayBook while traveling through Mexico the last few months, to a very bright student who couldn't afford the inflated PB costs in Mexico. Yes, they were averaging about $8,500 pesos, here in the US about $2,500 pesos.

I sold it thinking I would just buy another with more memory, then I started reading about the Nexus 7.

I've been back in the USA for about 2 weeks and have had my Nexus for just a few days, I love it.

I do miss the excellent cameras and clear video of my PB, and the fact I could bridge it with my BB phone. However, I don't miss the sad feelings I would have looking at AppWorld, the frustration I would have waiting for the PB to boot, and not being able to video chat with my friends.

All of that said, I will still be with BB for my phone service, and if I catch a good deal maybe another PB with anticipation of BB10.
    I wish someone would make a 7" Jelly Bean tablet that is higher quality. I want it to be stock jelly bean, without Sense or any of those other performance hogging UIs.

But, if I had one wish, it would be for RIM to release BB10 on PlayBook sometime soon (I'd settle for 2.1).

I think it is more likely that we see the high quality 7" Jelly Bean Tablet. Sad.
    berrydroidapple likes this.
    07-22-12 10:54 AM
    I was out of the country when RIM announced the delay of BB10, but so hurt when I found out. I'm eligible for upgrade Nov 1 and was going to go with whatever came out with, alas not happening.

I understand the reasoning, but feel again let down.

RIM will really have to do something great with 10 on the PB, if not it's going to be bad.
    07-22-12 11:42 AM
    I wish someone would make a 7" Jelly Bean tablet that is higher quality. I want it to be stock jelly bean, without Sense or any of those other performance hogging UIs.

But, if I had one wish, it would be for RIM to release BB10 on PlayBook sometime soon (I'd settle for 2.1).

I think it is more likely that we see the high quality 7" Jelly Bean Tablet. Sad.
    I'd have to agree with you on that. I anxiously wait what will happen OS wise for my Playbook. But the Nexus (at $200) seems to show how quickly things are progressing in the the Android world while we wait. What will be out in 6 months?
    07-22-12 12:05 PM
    I was out of the country when RIM announced the delay of BB10, but so hurt when I found out. I'm eligible for upgrade Nov 1 and was going to go with whatever came out with, alas not happening.

I understand the reasoning, but feel again let down.

RIM will really have to do something great with 10 on the PB, if not it's going to be bad.
    I'm also going to be eligible for an upgrade soon. I've decided to wait for RIM and see if it is good.
    07-22-12 12:42 PM
    I'd have to agree with you on that. I anxiously wait what will happen OS wise for my Playbook. But the Nexus (at $200) seems to show how quickly things are progressing in the the Android world while we wait. What will be out in 6 months?
    Yes. Android keeps moving. The problem is that what you buy tends not to be supported for very long. I also owned a HTC Flyer (which is a much higher quality tablet than Nexus 7 is) and there is no ICS let alone Jelly Bean for that tablet. At least with a Nexus tablet, Google will support it for a while.

At least RIM continues to develop for Playbook and has said that we will get BB10.
    sf49ers and jpash549 like this.
    07-22-12 12:45 PM
    Unless you know percentages it is meaningless, it could be 10% of devices or 0.01 - I cannot remember a tech product launch where those sorts of complaints didn't emerge.

It is as meaningless as the headlines crowing to us that the Nexus 7 is sold out without giving any numbers. Did they make 1,000 or a million?
    Hawnz likes this.
    07-22-12 02:27 PM
    Interesting to see the latest article on Engadget raving about the Nexus ability to connect, via an app called Wi-Fi Media to a 90.00 HTC Media Link HD which would then allow the Nexus to display movies (except .avi) and other items onto a television.

I suppose it's cool - then again, I just connect the Playbook to a TV via an HDMI cord and be done with the whole thing. The cost, 8.99
    I think it was an interesting idea to forego a method of physical connection. It should have been an additional feature (like on my phone; I can connect via medialink or MHL). I guess that's something you lose in a $200 tablet.

Here is the Verge comparison of the two and the Galaxy Tab: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 7.7 vs. BlackBerry PlayBook (QNX 2.0) | The Verge
    07-22-12 02:40 PM
    I think it was an interesting idea to forego a method of physical connection. It should have been an additional feature (like on my phone; I can connect via medialink or MHL). I guess that's something you lose in a $200 tablet.

Here is the Verge comparison of the two and the Galaxy Tab: Nexus 7 vs. Galaxy Tab 7.7 vs. BlackBerry PlayBook (QNX 2.0) | The Verge
    I get about 4 or 5 hours of online video playback, is that normal or should it be lasting longer than this?
    07-22-12 03:24 PM
    I bezel swipe mine in a split second, makes 2 second startup pretty slow.
    Except that's not a start up on the PB but just a "wake up" from sleep. A real start up takes almost three minutes.
    07-22-12 04:27 PM
    It is as meaningless as the headlines crowing to us that the Nexus 7 is sold out without giving any numbers. Did they make 1,000 or a million?
    Exactly.

07-22-12 04:47 PM
    Except that's not a start up on the PB but just a "wake up" from sleep. A real start up takes almost three minutes.
    Well someone here has both - Let's see a face-off!

07-22-12 04:48 PM
164 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD