After a few days now, this chrome browser which does have some nice features, is starting to irritate me because of the lack of flash. I ended up installing that Puffin browser and that supports flash pretty good.
    07-20-12 04:26 PM
    Picked up my Nexus a couple of hours ago, for �179 it is a great bit of kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Back on topic: I agree. Not a bad tab for the price, even though I traditionally have avoided Android tablets.

After a few days now, this chrome browser which does have some nice features, is starting to irritate me because of the lack of flash. I ended up installing that Puffin browser and that supports flash pretty good.
    I have adjusted to Chrome on my phone... so much so that I have it as the default. If I do need flash, it's good to know there are alternatives. Haven't heard too much about Puffin. How big of an apk is it?
    07-20-12 04:43 PM
    Just happened on the Nexus 16 GB at Staples so I thought I'd give it a try. Bought 1 of three they had. I've never had a true Android tablet and thought I'd like to try one. So I can add it to my Touchpad 64GB and BBPB . Will try it out as soon as I get a strange problem resolved with my home internet. But that is for another forum.
    07-20-12 04:45 PM
    I can guanantee if I was posting it as a BB OS or Playbook OS 'flaw' that no one here would be 'letting it go' . Fair is fair.
    Okay, then - I think NO widgets on the pb's screen is a flaw as it the inability to truly customize the Homescreen.

Now for a real flaw(s) - still can't organize bookmarks, can't navigate folders when looking for a picture file or a document file or a pdf file or a ........... Now those are FLAWS. I won't point the finger at any one device or OS but it knows who/what it is!
    07-20-12 04:52 PM
    Back on topic: I agree. Not a bad tab for the price, even though I traditionally have avoided Android tablets.

I have adjusted to Chrome on my phone... so much so that I have it as the default. If I do need flash, it's good to know there are alternatives. Haven't heard too much about Puffin. How big of an apk is it?
    There's no hack to it or anything like that, you get directly from Goople Play store. This Puffin browser is kinda neat actually. Only thing I don't like about it, is that the text size on webpages seems smaller and can't find a setting to adjust it.
    07-20-12 05:04 PM
    Well it looks like nexus has major issues. Check out the videos some of the videos are very funny. Lots and lots of screen issues.

Nexus 7 - Screen touching itself
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqm773-Wj64[/YT]

Nexus 7 problems, no adobe, please help!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRUCwacmp_E[/YT]

Nexus 7 Touch screen problem defect
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVkvCXDKU2M[/YT]

Nexus 7 touchscreen issue
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOTU75DBUA[/YT]

New Nexus 7 screen problem?
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SaBCVXmIBI[/YT]

Nexus 7 back light problem
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr1sq1R0QCY[/YT]

Google Nexus 7 tablet touchscreen issue
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZlQ8JwQYY[/YT]
    07-20-12 06:07 PM
    I'll see how mine is after I charge it. As for the "no Flash" thing, well if that guy had done his homework, he would have known that Adobe isn't releasing Flash for Android 4.1 (and in fact is discontinuing support in previous Android builds).
    07-20-12 07:30 PM
    I'll see how mine is after I charge it. As for the "no Flash" thing, well if that guy had done his homework, he would have known that Adobe isn't releasing Flash for Android 4.1 (and in fact is discontinuing support in previous Android builds).
    Yeah what a dork!! Like I said, that Puffin browser supports flash pretty good.
    07-20-12 07:38 PM
    I also have to wonder if some people who are seeing these touchscreen issues have followed the "advice" given on some other forums to tighten the screws under the back cover. Perhaps they are tightening them too much, which leads to too much pressure on the screen. I know capacitive screens don't really react to pressure, but perhaps there's a secondary cause.

Really tough to say overall, but time will tell just how widespread this issue is, as there are probably a lot of Nexus7 users with a perfectly-functioning unit. Don't get me wrong; it's entirely possible there is a significant problem here; but we'll just have to wait and see.
    07-20-12 07:44 PM
    Seems like English is not your first language as you do not even know the dictionary meaning of 'flaw'. You have a dislike or an opinion, but it is not a flaw.
    From Websters:

"an imperfection or weakness and especially one that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness"

I beleive that the Android launcher is a "weakness . . . that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness"

Fits pretty well if you ask me.
    Hawnz likes this.
    07-20-12 07:49 PM
    I can guanantee if I was posting it as a BB OS or Playbook OS 'flaw' that no one here would be 'letting it go' . Fair is fair.
    It just seems a little overblown that 3 posters are fixated on a word that pretty much fits...

Synonyms: Catch-22, blemish, bug, catch*, defect, disfigurement, failing, fault, foible, glitch*, gremlin, pitfall, slipup, speck, spot, stain, typo, vice, wart, weak spot, weakness
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-20-12 07:53 PM
    I also have to wonder if some people who are seeing these touchscreen issues have followed the "advice" given on some other forums to tighten the screws under the back cover. Perhaps they are tightening them too much, which leads to too much pressure on the screen. I know capacitive screens don't really react to pressure, but perhaps there's a secondary cause.

Really tough to say overall, but time will tell just how widespread this issue is, as there are probably a lot of Nexus7 users with a perfectly-functioning unit. Don't get me wrong; it's entirely possible there is a significant problem here; but we'll just have to wait and see.
    I'm noticing that sometimes I have to tap on the icons more than once in order to get the app to launch. It seems that a restart fixes it though.
    07-20-12 08:19 PM
    I'm now seeing many posts about bad nexus 7 tablets having image retention problems, loss of touch screen in certain spots, screen separation issues, tape not holding inside unit (what... tape holds the thing together inside) Wow.

Not saying any more.... Don't want to be a bad playbook owner ripping on other devices.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-20-12 08:30 PM
    From Websters:

"an imperfection or weakness and especially one that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness"

I beleive that the Android launcher is a "weakness . . . that detracts from the whole or hinders effectiveness"

Fits pretty well if you ask me.
    English must not be your first language... LOL.

I think the word "flaw" really, really gets under their skin for some reason...

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-20-12 08:43 PM
    It just seems a little overblown that 3 posters are fixated on a word that pretty much fits...
    Especially funny since OP only gave his opinion.

Is the word "disadvantage" allowed? LOL.

I like widgets, but understand if someone sees them as a (gasp!) flawed concept.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Hawnz likes this.
    07-20-12 08:47 PM
    To give you a better idea of how beneficial Widgets function for some here a few screenshots from the device I'm currently using now:
    Click to view quoted image

Probably not the most productive example (since I haven't really customized this particular device too much), but having access to my Gmail inbox, and YouTube subscriptions from my home screen makes life that much easier for me. Not having to open an app to play and pause music is also great. On one of my other devices I even have a SMS widget that allowed me to read and respond to all of my texts from my home screen in a scrollable widget. Never had to go through menus at all.

Having those options matter. Just like having at least one screen with nothing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    What a mess
    07-20-12 09:26 PM
    Flaw- Things that are flawed: An apple with a worm in it. A Nexus that doesn't work like a BBPB. An attractive young woman with an anchor tattooed on her arm. Whatever you choose to regard as detracting from the perfection or beauty of an object or performance. Add this post and others.
    07-21-12 01:18 AM
    I'm now seeing many posts about bad nexus 7 tablets having image retention problems, loss of touch screen in certain spots, screen separation issues, tape not holding inside unit (what... tape holds the thing together inside) Wow.

Not saying any more.... Don't want to be a bad playbook owner ripping on other devices.
    Unless you know percentages it is meaningless, it could be 10% of devices or 0.01 - I cannot remember a tech product launch where those sorts of complaints didn't emerge.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-12 03:23 AM
    Because of the MASS Release of the Nexus 7 at all or around the same time, there is bound to be a ton of people posting about defects. All tablets seems to suffer from a certain percentage of out-of-the box defects. That is why there are so many Manufacturer Refurbs available for most tablets (there are currently over 1,000 Toshiba Thrive 10.1 Manufacturer Refurbs for sale on ebay at the moment...and upwards of 400 Manufacturer Refurbs of Ipad 2's). Look how many Manufacturer Refurbs there are of the PlayBook all over the internet, including thousands being sold by BestBuy...yet we all know the build quality of the PlayBook is exceptional.

The difference with the Nexus 7 is that the small percentage with defects are making big news now because of the sheer volume purchased and just being received over the last week or so. I cannot say for certain (mine is fine so far), but I would venture to guess that the percentage of Nexus 7 defects is no more or less than other tablets...it's just that the other tablets have not hit the market in the mass quantities purchased as the Nexus 7 coupled with delivery at the same time. I believe this is why the media is writing about it for the simple reason of the mass demand, pre-release hype, and subsequent mass delivery of late.
    Last edited by nextcity; 07-21-12 at 05:47 AM.
    07-21-12 05:33 AM
    Good review, can't argue with it after spending about an hour with a Nexus 7 yesterday.

I would buy a Nexus 10 if it comes but I don't need another 7 inch tab.

I think some lag issues will be solved on Playbook with software updates and a new processor that is supposedly on the 4G PlayBook.
    07-21-12 08:06 AM
    (what... tape holds the thing together inside) Wow.

Well, rip on your own PB then. Without double-sided tape, its digitizer/screen would do a face plant. Nothing wrong with tape as a fastener, if it's used properly.
    07-21-12 09:04 AM
    So far I see a few bugs to be worked out with Jelly Bean, but no issues with the build quality whatsoever.
    07-21-12 09:39 AM
    How's the sound quality on that single mono speaker?
    07-21-12 09:49 AM
    How's the sound quality on that single mono speaker?
    Not bad actually, but could be better if the speaker was facing you. That's a design advantage that the PB has over all others.
    07-21-12 10:08 AM
    Not bad actually, but could be better if the speaker was facing you. That's a design advantage that the PB has over all others.
    And over most other tablets. Definitely not denying it has a few features no one has matched.
    07-21-12 02:15 PM
164 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD