or twitter, or facebook, or music players, every second of the day. If I need something I open it up and close it when I'm done. Besides the apps which are a huge plus, android boars the heck out of me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    If android - which offers far more customization than BBOS, iOS and WP - bores you, then it's safe to say you'll never be satisfied

It's great you do not feel the need to use widgets. That's your opinion and you're 100% entitled to it. But it cannot in any way be listed as a 'flaw' for the platform. That'll just be like a reviewer panning BB10 because he doesn't like or need BBM
    07-20-12 12:56 AM
    If android - which offers far more customization than BBOS, iOS and WP - bores you, then it's safe to say you'll never be satisfied

It's great you do not feel the need to use widgets. That's your opinion and you're 100% entitled to it. But it cannot in any way be listed as a 'flaw' for the platform. That'll just be like a reviewer panning BB10 because he doesn't like or need BBM
    I think it is ultimately bad design because it is the absence of any design. Google is saying we are giving you this space, you figure out what to do with it. As a result, we have all manner of ugly and useless widgets that all clash with each other and turn the launcher space into a mess. So yes, it is a flaw, IMO. This is why every OEM has tried to customize this space: we get Sense, Motoblur, etc. These are all pretty much despised, even in the Android community.

To add a bit after having used the Nexus 7 for a few more days now, I can say that I really wish Android had better multitasking. The task switcher is fine for most things but I have gotten in the habit of having youtube videos going in the background while doing something else and that is not possible on Android.

On the positive side, I really like Chrome and installed a ROM that has the Brower that uses Flash. It is really a good experience overall.

Also, Google has done a very nice job with the native apps. I can see that effort is being made to make them all speak with a common design language. I just wish they would do something about the launcher space!
    07-20-12 07:31 AM
    I think it is ultimately bad design because it is the absence of any design. Google is saying we are giving you this space, you figure out what to do with it. As a result, we have all manner of ugly and useless widgets that all clash with each other and turn the launcher space into a mess. So yes, it is a flaw, IMO. This is why every OEM has tried to customize this space: we get Sense, Motoblur, etc. These are all pretty much despised, even in the Android community.

To add a bit after having used the Nexus 7 for a few more days now, I can say that I really wish Android had better multitasking. The task switcher is fine for most things but I have gotten in the habit of having youtube videos going in the background while doing something else and that is not possible on Android.

On the positive side, I really like Chrome and installed a ROM that has the Brower that uses Flash. It is really a good experience overall.

Also, Google has done a very nice job with the native apps. I can see that effort is being made to make them all speak with a common design language. I just wish they would do something about the launcher space!

So customization is consider a flaw ?

So a TV, a refrigerator, a desktop computer, a laptop computer, cars that come in different colors, custom built houses etc etc all have flaws because you can customize them??

A design for customization is still consider a design.
    Last edited by tdawg00; 07-20-12 at 08:44 AM.
    07-20-12 08:40 AM
    How the heck is this 'bad design'? You do realize that YOU are the one who will place what widgets you like or not on the home screen?
    It takes all of 3 seconds to delete a widget off your screen... If there are ugly and useless widgets there, YOU put them there! Not Google!

Loads of people love the sense interface, many others hate it. It's wrong to claim its universally despised.

At least Google makes good use of the home screen space. There's a reason why lots of reviewers pan the torch 9800 and 9860 for the inability to customize the home screen

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 09:25 AM
    If someone made useful widgets, I'd use them. I don't need or want giant clocks and don't want to know the weather every second of the day.
    Ridiculous to take 2 widgets you don't like and then come to conclusion that ALL widgets are flawed! Very narrowminded.
    I don't think you know how to use your homescreen pages.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 07-20-12 at 10:11 AM.
    07-20-12 09:31 AM
    Ah yes, the old paranoid / tin foil hat routine. You're right, it has nothing to do with respecting users privacy settings and following laws and regulations (ethics anyone ?).

I'll be nice, you can keep it.
    if you believe that any large company is 100% looking after your interests then you need a severe injection of reality. Yes it has some issues, but realistically they will not affect you or I in any significant way, and will likely be tied up very sooon due to pressure on them to tighten it up

Psst... you do realise that you can remove all the widgets, right? Right?

Everything can be customised to be as clean or as cluttered as you like, and there ar some beeautiful user-created themes that kick the bum off of anything else on the market in simplicity and elegance. Dun't blame Android just because you don't know how to use it.
    07-20-12 09:49 AM
    Some people will not be happy until everyone thinks like they do. There is room in this world for people who don't like the Android launchers and who don't like widgets. One person's flaw is another person's feature.

Android has improved a lot over the years but I still think the launcher is bad design.
    07-20-12 10:23 AM
    LOL.

OP was giving a rundown of HIS opinion on stuff. He is allowed to do that, no? If I may humbly add, Lawguyman is one of the most open minded folks on these borads IMHO.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-20-12 11:09 AM
    Some people will not be happy until everyone thinks like they do.
    So true, but you should first take the plank out of your own eye before trying to take the splinter from somebody's elses and blame others not agreeing with you! That is EXACTLY what you are trying to do with your 'flawed' argument about widgets. Widgets work good, but just because you do not LIKE them, the concept is suddenly FLAWED! There is a BIG difference between "not liking" something and saying it is "flawed".
    07-20-12 11:44 AM
    if you believe that any large company is 100% looking after your interests then you need a severe injection of reality. Yes it has some issues, but realistically they will not affect you or I in any significant way, and will likely be tied up very sooon due to pressure on them to tighten it up
    Nope, not every large company is looking after my interest 100%. But Google is looking out for theirs 100%. It's how they make a profit. By selling you. Read the terms of service.

Hey, there's a black van in front of my house, I wonder what they are doing inside ...
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 07-20-12 at 11:59 AM.
    07-20-12 11:57 AM
    In ICS, you can save Airplane mode as a shortcut on the homescreen. One click to activate, another click to deactivate.
    Only if you are on the homescreen. What if you are in an app and want to change this? On the PB, you can swipe down from the top right corner, and do it from the WiFi icon all without ever closing the app.
    07-20-12 12:07 PM
    Only if you are on the homescreen. What if you are in an app and want to change this? On the PB, you can swipe down from the top right corner, and do it from the WiFi icon all without ever closing the app.
    Swipe down, settings, Airplane Mode. Back to app you were in.
    07-20-12 12:15 PM
    On my Galaxy Nexus running 4.0 4,I just hold the power switch for a second and I can turn airplane mode on from that menu.
    07-20-12 12:52 PM
    LOL.

OP was giving a rundown of HIS opinion on stuff. He is allowed to do that, no? If I may humbly add, Lawguyman is one of the most open minded folks on these borads IMHO.
    I can't believe this has to keep being clarified, but it's not an issue of an opinion nor a nexus/android vs playbook/qnx issue. it's an issue of listing something that is a design preference as a 'flaw'. not liking something does not make it a flaw.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-20-12 01:41 PM
    Well no tablet is perfect. But one should be aware of what one is potentially buying. PCMag is reporting some quality issues in this article:-

Does the Nexus 7 Have Quality Problems? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    07-20-12 01:45 PM
    I dislike iTunes. It is a HUGE flaw for me. Biggest reason I never switched to iTunes.

For most people, however, iTunes serves as the ultimate aggregator/organizer. What I find to be a flaw, others think of as an awesome benefit.

Some people think physical keyboards are flaws; others think they are indispensable.

I don't have a problem with OP saying that something(s) I truly love (customizable launching experience/widgets) is/are flaws in his perspective.

Choice is good.
    07-20-12 01:50 PM

To give you a better idea of how beneficial Widgets function for some here a few screenshots from the device I'm currently using now:

Probably not the most productive example (since I haven't really customized this particular device too much), but having access to my Gmail inbox, and YouTube subscriptions from my home screen makes life that much easier for me. Not having to open an app to play and pause music is also great. On one of my other devices I even have a SMS widget that allowed me to read and respond to all of my texts from my home screen in a scrollable widget. Never had to go through menus at all.

Having those options matter. Just like having at least one screen with nothing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 01:53 PM
    I dislike iTunes. It is a HUGE flaw for me. Biggest reason I never switched to iTunes.

For most people, however, iTunes serves as the ultimate aggregator/organizer. What I find to be a flaw, others think of as an awesome benefit.

Some people think physical keyboards are flaws; others think they are indispensable.

I don't have a problem with OP saying that something(s) I truly love (customizable launching experience/widgets) is/are flaws in his perspective.

Choice is good.
    Seems like English is not your first language as you do not even know the dictionary meaning of 'flaw'. You have a dislike or an opinion, but it is not a flaw.
    07-20-12 01:56 PM
    Seems like English is not your first language as you do not even know the dictionary meaning of 'flaw'. You have a dislike or an opinion, but it is not a flaw.
    LOL. Bless your heart.

To give you a better idea of how beneficial Widgets function for some here a few screenshots from the device I'm currently using now:
    Click to view quoted image

What music widget is that?
    07-20-12 02:03 PM
    LOL. Bless your heart.

What music widget is that?
    Poweramp music widget style 2. Best music player IMO.

07-20-12 02:10 PM
    Poweramp music widget style 2. Best music player IMO.

PowerAmp is pretty good... I use MixZing Pro.
    07-20-12 02:13 PM

Choice is good.
    It's your choice to post it as a 'flaw' on a forum like this then. But by any definition, that is not a flaw, it's a personal preference. So if you post it on here as a 'flaw' than you can't be critical of people's responses. People are obviously going to argue when something it's worded that way because it's stating something as fact, when it's not.
    07-20-12 03:26 PM
    I can't believe this has to keep being clarified, but it's not an issue of an opinion nor a nexus/android vs playbook/qnx issue. it's an issue of listing something that is a design preference as a 'flaw'. not liking something does not make it a flaw.
    It really doesn't, you can let it go. Insert the proper word in your head when you read it...
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-20-12 03:37 PM
    Picked up my Nexus a couple of hours ago, for �179 it is a great bit of kit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    07-20-12 03:55 PM
    It really doesn't, you can let it go. Insert the proper word in your head when you read it...
    I can guanantee if I was posting it as a BB OS or Playbook OS 'flaw' that no one here would be 'letting it go' . Fair is fair.
    07-20-12 04:25 PM
164 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD