Great review. I didn't actually buy an N7 tab, but I've played with one fairly extensively.

- Liked the screen resolution. Agree with the OP that it's awfully dark.
    - Yes, Jelly Bean is responsive. Navigation is unquestionably snappy and stuff launches quickly.
    - Apps are, indeed, pretty good.

On the downside, I agree that the N7 doesn't feel as good physically as the PB, and while it's aesthetically nice, I found the UI kind of confusing.

The N7 is a nice device, no question. BB10 and a great app portfolio could keep the PB (even in its present form) competitive.
    The problem is, if this is what Android has progressed to now (a very clear evolution since last version), and this is the quality of hardware becoming available in this price range... what will be available in another year by time BB10 is ready? I don't want to bring it back to RIM negativity, but it's going to be hard to break out of a cycle of playing catch up. They almost can't release something as good, they need to release something better.
    07-19-12 01:37 PM
    We all know what the PlayBook experience is so I won't go into it much. All I will say is that PlayBook never had to have a war on lag because it doesn't have any and never did.

One area where Nexus 7 wins in most areas is on core functions. PlayBook PIM apps simply take too long to load. I can load Mail on Nexus 7 in under two seconds. It takes around 10 seconds to load mail on PlayBook. I wish this could change. There are similar lag times when loading contacts and calendar. I prefer the Playbook Apps themselves but the load times are WAY too long.
    So the PlayBook has no lag, but is still laggy? What?
    07-19-12 01:57 PM
    It only counts as lag when its android.
    07-19-12 02:09 PM
    Lol… I'm such a dork. I'm so used to thinking that Netflix is a no go, that I didn't even think about it.
    If you are a fan of other AMC original programming, Netflix just added the fourth season of Breaking Bad...and now has the first four seasons for streaming. Also, if you do sign up for Netflix, they have three playback quality settings, the lowest being what I use for streaming through my phones mobile hotspot to my non-Playbook tablets when away from wi-fi. I bring this up because I was not aware of this Netflix feature until recently...and before then was using a lot of my monthly data allowance for HD streaming.
    Last edited by nextcity; 07-19-12 at 02:28 PM.
    07-19-12 02:21 PM
    Ha. Bad choice of word but you are right to call me on it.

Android's UI has until now suffered from lag. PlayBook's UI has no lag and never did.

But, PlayBook's app loading times for PIM apps are too slow and thus lag behind Android's PIM app load times.

The first kind of lag is an objective stutter. The second kind of lag is comparative (one device compared to the other).
    07-19-12 02:21 PM
    In ICS, you can save Airplane mode as a shortcut on the homescreen. One click to activate, another click to deactivate.
    I don't fly enough to care! Besides, more swipes fights arthritis of the fingers.
    07-19-12 02:50 PM
    If you are a fan of other AMC original programming, Netflix just added the fourth season of Breaking Bad...and now has the first four seasons for streaming. Also, if you do sign up for Netflix, they have three playback quality settings, the lowest being what I use for streaming through my phones mobile hotspot to my non-Playbook tablets when away from wi-fi. I bring this up because I was not aware of this Netflix feature until recently...and before then was using a lot of my monthly data allowance for HD streaming.
    Good to know, thanks.
    07-19-12 03:19 PM
    One thing google hasn't got right is the customer service - I ordered one and they charged me for two day delivery but that actually means "you will have no communication off us and it could anytime in the next two weeks but you'll have to find that out for yourself by looking on the internet"

It was quicker (and �20 cheaper!) to order one from a supermarket chain today and it will be ready for pick-up tomorrow!

To add insult to injury, it took me 1hr 45 minutes to get through to anyone at google to cancel (which they first tried to claim was impossible and that I would have to refuse delivery of the item).
    07-19-12 03:44 PM
    Cringe. Lets start with 10 actual valid (to anyone but yourself) reasons, and work from there.
    That was in reference to the record $22.5 million fine that Google is being assessed by the FTC here in the US for circumventing users privacy settings. That's only the fine for the US, it doesn't include fines or settlements in any other country.

Also, try reading the TOS.
    07-19-12 04:15 PM
    That was in reference to the record $22.5 million fine that Google is being assessed by the FTC here in the US for circumventing users privacy settings. That's only the fine for the US, it doesn't include fines or settlements in any other country.

Also, try reading the TOS.
    I'm not completely paranoid, so that doesn't bother me.
    07-19-12 04:18 PM
    I like the review. I guess we do have to remember that our pb was not designed to sell for $200 to $300. It was designed and originally sold for $500 to $700 (do I have those initial prices right?) so its construction and other hardware (cameras, speakers, microphones) was/is much better than some of these NOW comparably priced tablets.

Let's see how well rim does when it introduces its next/newer models, if it does, and at what price.
    The difference in Teardown cost estimates between the PlayBook and the Nexus 7 is about $50...
    07-19-12 04:46 PM
    10 seconds to load mail...?? sure...

you still have dial up?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-19-12 05:29 PM
    I'm not completely paranoid, so that doesn't bother me.
    Ah yes, the old paranoid / tin foil hat routine. You're right, it has nothing to do with respecting users privacy settings and following laws and regulations (ethics anyone ?).

I'll be nice, you can keep it.
    Last edited by Mr.Willie; 07-19-12 at 06:06 PM.
    07-19-12 05:29 PM
    The Nexus 7 doesn't feel as premium as the PlayBook (a tablet originally priced at $499), so it must feel 'cheap and plasticky'?

the OP doesn't like widgets (no surprise after years on BB OS) and doesn't know what to do with his homescreen (hint: You can add app shortcuts there too) so to him that's a flaw?

Smh.
    07-19-12 05:44 PM
    In all fairness, it is designed to be a low end tablet.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    You're wrong. It was designed to be a low cost, pretty good quality tablet. A tablet with a 1280 * 800 IPS screen, 1GB RAM and a Tegra 3 Quad core processor, GPS, Bluetooth etc doesn't hover in 'low end' territory.
    07-19-12 05:48 PM
    10 seconds to load mail...?? sure...

you still have dial up?

That is how long the mail app takes to load on PlayBook. If you have one, time yours.
    07-19-12 05:52 PM
    The Nexus 7 doesn't feel as premium as the PlayBook (a tablet originally priced at $499), so it must feel 'cheap and plasticky'?

the OP doesn't like widgets (no surprise after years on BB OS) and doesn't know what to do with his homescreen (hint: You can add app shortcuts there too) so to him that's a flaw?

Smh.
    Of course, these things are my opinions. I like the Nexus 7. I would have been willing to pay for something higher end. Android is what it is. It works and now it is very smooth. It is just hard for me to love it because of the design decisions that were made, especially in the way the launcher is. Many people like widgets. Not me.
    07-19-12 05:56 PM
    Of course, these things are my opinions. I like the Nexus 7. I would have been willing to pay for something higher end. Android is what it is. It works and now it is very smooth. It is just hard for me to love it because of the design decisions that were made, especially in the way the launcher is. Many people like widgets. Not me.
    Widgets are one of Android's most loved features. I agree you are entitled to your opinion and are not obligated to love widgets and the android homescreen. But to call it a FLAW is pretty funny.
    07-19-12 06:01 PM
    Widgets are one of Android's most loved features. I agree you are entitled to your opinion and are not obligated to love widgets and the android homescreen. But to call it a FLAW is pretty funny.
    If someone made useful widgets, I'd use them. I don't need or want giant clocks and don't want to know the weather every second of the day.
    07-19-12 06:07 PM
    If someone made useful widgets, I'd use them. I don't need or want giant clocks and don't want to know the weather every second of the day.
    You think giant clocks and weather widgets are the only useful widgets out there? LMAO! I don't even know where to start with you.

I've seen folks using music player widgets, widgets to display Bible quotes, facebook, twitter widgets...tens of thousands of examples exist. All these are really useful to the folks that use 'em.
    07-19-12 06:17 PM
    You think giant clocks and weather widgets are the only useful widgets out there? LMAO! I don't even know where to start with you.

I've seen folks using music player widgets, widgets to display Bible quotes, facebook, twitter widgets...tens of thousands of examples exist. All these are really useful to the folks that use 'em.
    Yeah. Those kinds of things are not useful to me.
    07-19-12 06:21 PM
    or twitter, or facebook, or music players, every second of the day. If I need something I open it up and close it when I'm done. Besides the apps which are a huge plus, android boars the heck out of me.

rexrim likes this.
    07-19-12 06:55 PM
    You're wrong. It was designed to be a low cost, pretty good quality tablet. A tablet with a 1280 * 800 IPS screen, 1GB RAM and a Tegra 3 Quad core processor, GPS, Bluetooth etc doesn't hover in 'low end' territory.
    Don't get caught up in my generalizations. For simplicity, I am simply saying you have two categories; you have the high-end tablets, and then you have those meant to be cheap. The Nexus 7 is not aiming to compete with the iPad; it is meant to compete with the Kindle.

Now, some people will argue that it is a great value, and I wouldn't disagree.
    07-19-12 09:21 PM
    Thats the beauty of it. You do not NEED to put those widgets. Android is so versatile to suit certain peoples needs. To understand Android, Android creates competition within its platform for the advances of the platform ,but also has cons as well.

But overall, it is the user and who gets most out of Android are the geeks who like to tinker, optimize, and create their homescreen to their liking.
    07-19-12 09:51 PM
    Thanks for the reviews. While i have no desire to have an android i was curious about the nexus 7. My husband has a Samsung Galaxy Note but he would still like a tablet so this one sounds like a contender for him.

As an experiment though i did try timing my mail, calendar and contacts on my pb and they only take btwn 5 - 7 seconds to load. That was with other apps running.

I am one of the lucky people who don't use skype or netflix and i love the ui on my pb. Actually i love everything about my pb and bb. I don't need my mail or calendar to open 3 seconds faster and I have most of the apps and games that I need. However i think people should get what works for them and I think the nexus will be a good fit for a lot of people.
    superdookie67 likes this.
    07-19-12 11:38 PM
164 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD