Nice review. One of the things I have read about is the low brightness level. Another complaint has been color saturation, but that depends on a person's preferences.
    07-18-12 07:53 PM
    I was so going to start this thread yesterday because I got mine a couple of days ago, but never got to it. I'm being as objective as possible when I type this. Here come the positives: The Nexus 7 doesn't feel cheap at all to me, in fact it feels solid and well built. Jelly Bean IS smooth, responsive and pretty neat actually. The amount of widgets and customizing that you're able to do with the home screens is cool to say the least. The screen resolution is awesome on this thing and the brightness/settings are easy to use. Android's apps ecosystem, this has been said before, is just outstanding. Now, here come the negatives so far: I hate it that the home screen only works in portrait mode, this is annoying. This is also an issue when reading emails. In the PB's email app you can tap on that top right corner box and expand the message you're reading, on the Nexus the only way to expand is to rotate to portrait mode. Lastly, the one knock against the Chrome browser is the obvious one: it doesn't support flash, though I hear there are workarounds for that issue. Almost forgot!! Multitasking: I think the PB wins this one folks. That left or right swipe between open apps is just way more cool and elegant than having to tap "Recent apps" and then choosing one.
    Last edited by Blkacesvf41; 07-18-12 at 08:24 PM.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-18-12 08:14 PM
    From what I have read the nexus 7 is sold out at Google and most other outlets. I will bet that more of these sell this month then playbooks since launch.

I am very tempted to pick one up just to get a bookmark manager and my netflix and a decent pdf reader.
    07-18-12 08:32 PM
    .... I paid less than $100 out of pocket for my PlayBook....
    How? Where?
    07-18-12 08:47 PM
    Still too expensive for Draw Something
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-18-12 10:11 PM
    Another thing I've noticed guys is that the Android version of the same apps that we have on the PB such as Kobo and Zinio, are way smoother and have more features. Also, with my $25 Google Play credit I bought season 1 of The Walking Dead. The resolution on this tablet is really awesome!!
    ubeda92 likes this.
    07-19-12 07:33 AM
    Another thing I've noticed guys is that the Android version of the same apps that we have on the PB such as Kobo and Zinio, are way smoother and have more features. Also, with my $25 Google Play credit I bought season 1 of The Walking Dead. The resolution on this tablet is really awesome!!
    Netflix offers a free month trial. Cost is $7.99 monthly. Season 1 of the Walking Dead is on Netflix.
    07-19-12 08:15 AM
    It is almost unfair to compare a two year old tablet with a poor platform to a recent tablet with gazillions of apps.

Just think the the Nexus has Jelly Bean ahead of the other Android tablets, whereas the playbook still doesn't have the os it should have had at its launch...

I still believe that survival is possible for RIM, with a drastic change of policies, but... do they really want to survive ? Thats' the question I'm asking myself now, why do they make THAT MANY mistakes ?
    07-19-12 08:23 AM
    Netflix offers a free month trial. Cost is $7.99 monthly. Season 1 of the Walking Dead is on Netflix.
    Lol� I'm such a dork. I'm so used to thinking that Netflix is a no go, that I didn't even think about it.
    07-19-12 08:42 AM
    It is almost unfair to compare a two year old tablet with a poor platform to a recent tablet with gazillions of apps.

Just think the the Nexus has Jelly Bean ahead of the other Android tablets, whereas the playbook still doesn't have the os it should have had at its launch...

I still believe that survival is possible for RIM, with a drastic change of policies, but... do they really want to survive ? Thats' the question I'm asking myself now, why do they make THAT MANY mistakes ?
    A year and three months old.
    07-19-12 08:43 AM
    Oh my you're right, it's not even two years. But with all those delays and half-deliveries it felt longer.

Also I must say that since I got my new tab with an amoled display, anything else feels old now.

And since my new tab starts in a few seconds, the playbook trying to start up looks like a half-dead nineties laptop.
    07-19-12 08:53 AM
    I was able to compare the 2 albiet I don't own both. First thing I noticed was the nexus 7's shape. Like the ipad2 i tried, it's shaped nice. You pick it up and it just feels right to hold with the curved sides. That's about where my positive experience ended however.

The screen was lackluster when comparing it to the PB but that could also be caused by the magazine in zinio not being optimised for the higher resolution? I noticed the screen was darker and not as vibrant as the PB.

I think apps are where you will be making your choice. I cancelled my netflix account and I never used skype so obviously those were not important to me. I did like the look of the custom Nexus front page but didn't play with it long enough to get a feel for it.

I did not notice any difference between running android apps on either device. Both seemed the same to me.
    Last edited by zorecati; 07-19-12 at 09:32 AM.
    07-19-12 09:00 AM
    In sum, even though Nexus 7 is a pretty flawed product, its flaws are in some ways preferable to PlayBook's flaws. You can do more of the things more people want to do with Nexus 7 than with PlayBook. For the last year and more, we have all been complaining about the same things. Some have been corrected but some have not been addressed. It is unfortunate but RIMhas moved at its own pace.As much as I like PlayBook, I have NEVER recommended it to anyone even though I use it every day. This so because of its missing features. Nexus 7 may not be great in any one area but it is good enough in most things. Playbook is great in some things and is a complete failure in others. I'm still hopingthat these things get worked out . . .
    While I find your review quite good, I don't agree with your conclusion. Are you saying that as long the tablet has Netflix and Facetime/Skype people buy whatever piece of junk they get their hands on? I really hope it's not the case. People should be a bit smarter than that in terms of buying a tablet. Well, they should be but more often than not they aren't.
    07-19-12 09:10 AM
    I have never had a problem with Android. I have an Acer A100, and it's a superb tablet, quick, responsive, easy to organize and deal with. I'm currently on Ice Cream Sandwich, but it was about the same under Honeycomb. The underlying ecosystem of apps is just wonderful, and easy to use. Widgets make life easier. I can go into airplane mode with just a single tap on my home screen, not 3 taps as on my PB. The battery and sound is better on the PB, but everything else on the Android just rocks.
    Yup, an Android tablet is 100x more practical than a PB for everyday usage. Almost everything that the Android tablet does which the PB TRIES to do is just a poor compromise. Sat Nav on Android? Yup, big choice, sublime. Sat Nav on PB? One main app, awful functionality in comparison. Travel apps like local train information and ticket buying? Yup. Skype, the most popular IM in the world? Erm, no. As for email and calendar... a half-baked addition thrown onto the PB during OS2.0 has been met with universal sighs.

Start factoring all of the apps made for Android that let you do almost ANYTHING, vs the few small ones made for the PB that let you do comparatively little, and it becomes even worse. Almost anything that you can do on the PB can be done Android, whereas most things you do on Android can't be done on the PB due to developers not wanting to touch it unless heavily subsidized, or due to the low functionality and customisability of the OS.

The Nexus 7 may just be the final nail in the PB's (long overdue) coffin.
    07-19-12 09:10 AM
    Using your reasoning then, a portable PC does EVERYTHING a tablet can better and more efficiently. That really should put final nail in the coffin to the Nexus 7 then.
    07-19-12 09:36 AM
    I don't think you guys understand the Nexus 7...It's very good for what's meant to be:
    Oh, I understand the Nexus 7, better than you think. It is very good for what's it's meant to be, and that's the problem...

I can give you 22.5 million reasons not to get it.

If the PB doesn't cut it and you want a 7 incher, wait and see if there really will be a 7" iPad or Win8 device.
    07-19-12 10:00 AM
    While I find your review quite good, I don't agree with your conclusion. Are you saying that as long the tablet has Netflix and Facetime/Skype people buy whatever piece of junk they get their hands on? I really hope it's not the case. People should be a bit smarter than that in terms of buying a tablet. Well, they should be but more often than not they aren't.
    All that I am saying is that I cannot recommended PlayBook to anyone until the app gap is addressed.

By the way, I can use my 9900's bridge app to type on the Nexus. That's pretty cool.
    07-19-12 10:06 AM
    Oh, I understand the Nexus 7, better than you think. It is very good for what's it's meant to be, and that's the problem...

I can give you 22.5 million reasons not to get it.
    Cringe. Lets start with 10 actual valid (to anyone but yourself) reasons, and work from there.

Using your reasoning then, a portable PC does EVERYTHING a tablet can better and more efficiently. That really should put final nail in the coffin to the Nexus 7 then.
    I was comparing a tablet to a tablet. Only someone with a critical lack of logic could turn that into comparing a tablet to a laptop.
    07-19-12 10:12 AM

The Nexus 7 may just be the final nail in the PB's (long overdue) coffin.
    I doubt it but RIM's continued failure to properly execute could be.
    Richdog- likes this.
    07-19-12 10:14 AM
    I doubt it but RIM's continued failure to properly execute could be.
    Yes, also a significant factor.
    07-19-12 10:15 AM
    I have never had a problem with Android. I have an Acer A100, and it's a superb tablet, quick, responsive, easy to organize and deal with. I'm currently on Ice Cream Sandwich, but it was about the same under Honeycomb. The underlying ecosystem of apps is just wonderful, and easy to use. Widgets make life easier. I can go into airplane mode with just a single tap on my home screen, not 3 taps as on my PB. The battery and sound is better on the PB, but everything else on the Android just rocks.
    i can go into Airplane mode from the homescreen as well using the gestures swipe down click wifi icon swipe to turn off. unless you're counting swipes as clicks then i dont see how its 3clicks for you.
    07-19-12 01:16 PM
    [REPORT] Google Nexus 7 Outsold iPad On First Day Already

According to this link 500k first day and 750 to 1m by month end.

Faster than the original ipad

Wow!
    07-19-12 01:21 PM
    Great review. I didn't actually buy an N7 tab, but I've played with one fairly extensively.

- Liked the screen resolution. Agree with the OP that it's awfully dark.
    - Yes, Jelly Bean is responsive. Navigation is unquestionably snappy and stuff launches quickly.
    - Apps are, indeed, pretty good.

On the downside, I agree that the N7 doesn't feel as good physically as the PB, and while it's aesthetically nice, I found the UI kind of confusing.

The N7 is a nice device, no question. BB10 and a great app portfolio could keep the PB (even in its present form) competitive.
    07-19-12 01:31 PM
    i can go into Airplane mode from the homescreen as well using the gestures swipe down click wifi icon swipe to turn off. unless you're counting swipes as clicks then i dont see how its 3clicks for you.
    That's kind of a cheap number, though, for many reasons. When the iPad launched, very few people knew that they even wanted a tablet, and now it's a HUGE market.

Second, the original iPad was considerably more expensive than the N7.

Those two reasons alone more than explain why it's not a fair comparison. A far better one would be to compare N7 first-day sales with those of the New iPad.
    07-19-12 01:35 PM
    In ICS, you can save Airplane mode as a shortcut on the homescreen. One click to activate, another click to deactivate.
    07-19-12 01:37 PM
164 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD