Oh, I also turned off my cell and data service but not my Bluetooth. I handled about 20 messages in my BB email accounts that were managed once we were on the ground.
    Seems like a "native" thing to me.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-05-11 05:08 PM
    Geez, I didn't know there was a "pad contest". No offence intended, but there are no winners in such a contest, if you follow my conclusion...
    I just sat next to a guy on an international flight that was playing angry birds on his iPad. He had no earbuds and had the volume cranked so loud that i could hear it over my movie soundtrack with my custom formed ear molds. Annoying as it could be.
    He had no interest in my Playbook or my movie and I was only aware of his game due to his inconsiderate volume level.
    Better than a frustrated, crying baby, I suppose.
    That is the problem with apple users....they are all iFocused
    09-05-11 05:08 PM
    LOL...I was afraid you would find me! I thought I would be safe on crackberrydotcom!
    No one is safe in the digital world u know?
    Glad u enjoyed my version of this thread LOL
    09-05-11 06:44 PM
    I have a similar experience, but I was using my iPad 2.
    In my case, I was listening to Funeral by Arcade Fire and playing Real Racing 2 HD, because a game like that goes very well with that kind of music. But in the middle of it all, I wanted to switch songs, so I double-clicked on the home button to bring up the multitasking pane at the bottom. Then I scrolled through the dozens and dozens of open apps (remember, iOS leaves them all open unless you shut them down by pressing and holding until they wiggle, but I never shut anything down which means that basically all the icons are open in the pane). Finally I found the Music icon (naturally it was the last one on the list) and went in and fast-forwarded to the next song. Then I double-clicked on the home icon again to bring back the multitasking pane, scrolled all the way back to the Real Racing icon, which of course was the first one on the list so I had to scroll back quite a ways, I pressed it, and resumed my game.
    So all in all it only took about 5 minutes to multitask between the game and the music, so I have no clue that the haters are talking about when they say that the iPad doesn't multitask very well. No clue at all. It couldn't faster AND simpler.
    so mr email/ multitask on airplane mode... riddle me this... when on a wifi enabled flight i sign up on my blackberry.. bridge my blackberry and bbm with everyone on the ground and then on top of that let them know when i land and make sure my ride is in place and i surf the web the entire web and i watch movies and switch to the internet and surf and switch back when a good part of the movie happens cause yea how well does the ipad multitask when u switch from the video player.. dont worry ill wait... oh didnt think so and how many people cant u talk to on your flight... oh and how much do u pay to surf the internet without wifi hmmmm once again ill wait... and how about u tell me again how do u upload entire photo albums on facebook or download zip files or anything from the internet while on this wifi enabled ipad without itunes... please dear sir please tell me .... oh and tell me why u arent on crackiphone.com instead... clearly ur on the wrong site
    09-05-11 07:18 PM
    That does suck but I cannot understand why he did not exchange for a new model if he thought Wifi was faulty? I had to return my first PlayBook due to a stuck pixel and have had zero issues since.

You can still use BB Bridge on a plane, you just have to turn off your cellular radio. I have not tried this but I assume the emails, BBMs, etc. would be sent once you land. Anyone care to comment on this?
    Easy answers...

He didn't exchange it because he didn't think it was faulty, he just thought it sucked. He'd already returned it by the time he met with me again to relate the story, at which time I pointed out how well mine was working in the same office, and told him that numerous others had reported WiFi problems with specific units which they had to return.

As for the "Bridge on a Plane" thing, I pointed out the same thing, asking "Why couldn't you just turn off the radios and use the phone still?". His answer -- and remember, he's the traveller, not I -- was "Some airlines insist on you shutting the phone right off." I said that's nuts, if they still would let you use a tablet, and he agreed, but said that's just the way they are. I asked but don't recall which airline it was.
    Last edited by peter9477; 09-05-11 at 07:26 PM. Reason: correction: "exchange it" not "return it"
    09-05-11 07:25 PM
    I don't understand this comment. I was actually just talking to someone who's a big BB fan, who bought a PlayBook for a while a month ago after my demo to him. He loved it! Thought it was amazing in so many ways, but then took it back.

His two main problems were that the WiFi was sucky on his unit, and no native email. The WiFi I convinced him was probably a bad unit... looks bad on RIM, but with my unit in the same location at his office, it worked just fine.

The native email... now why would he think that was required? Because he took the PlayBook on a plane, and of course had to shut off his BB phone. If he had native email, he said he could have spent the flight *reading emails* and *writing new messages*.

I assume native email support would let you work offline like that... and if so, then clearly native email on the PlayBook would be quite valuable to many business travellers, especially with the large screen and all.
    actually lets clarify somethings first off u dont have to cut your phone off just the data... and u can bridge to ur playboom so email is there... and the wifi thing.. my ipad and my iphone both had the same problems in your case urs worked better... and my last point besides the downloading 8pages of apps on mmy iphone and only using 3- 4 apps.. what special revolutionary thing can you mobile apple product do that puts it light years ahead of the playbook
    09-05-11 07:26 PM
    actually lets clarify somethings first off u dont have to cut your phone off just the data... and u can bridge to ur playboom so email is there... and the wifi thing.. my ipad and my iphone both had the same problems in your case urs worked better... and my last point besides the downloading 8pages of apps on mmy iphone and only using 3- 4 apps.. what special revolutionary thing can you mobile apple product do that puts it light years ahead of the playbook
    If you read carefully, you'll see that the person in question (it wasn't me) stated clearly that the airline insisted that people actually turn OFF their phones (for the entire flight, too). I realize and you realize that's not necessary, but I'm only the messenger, and the other guy was only the victim. Please don't suggest he should have ignored that directive from the airline...

Secondly, I have no idea what you're talking about with respect to Apple this and iPhone that. I have a PlayBook and love it, and (again, if you could read it) you'd see that I had actually been the reason the other guy tried the PlayBook in the first place, and am the reason he's willing to try it again as soon as native email is available. I'm one of the PlayBook's biggest supporters... I'm just not blind to some of its flaws.

You sound like someone looking for a troll where there isn't one...
    09-05-11 07:41 PM
    And Pull out my iPad and check my email on the fly. Native email is really nice. Does the playbook have native email yet??????
    The elephant in the room�
    09-05-11 08:21 PM
    You can't use GSM communications on a plane - thus the rationale for airplane mode - so native email is useless.
    Huh? Wi-Fi.
    09-05-11 08:22 PM
    Huh? Wi-Fi.
    Sure if you have wifi and want to pay $5-10 then you can use native email.

The real question is why is everyone so obsessed with native email. BB bridge works great and PlayBook 2.0 is coming soon. We all know that PlayBook does not have it. My original post was meant to highlight the strengths of the PlayBook, not the weaknesses. IMHO the PlayBook has only been getting better and even though it is a work in progress, I will continue to enjoy using it until then!
    09-05-11 08:34 PM
    You can still use BB Bridge on a plane, you just have to turn off your cellular radio. I have not tried this but I assume the emails, BBMs, etc. would be sent once you land. Anyone care to comment on this?
    You can use your cell or laptop until the boarding door closes on any airline � then all electronic devices need to be turned off. Once you are above 10,000 feet you can turn approved devices back on (no cell phones, only smart-phones with the cellular radio off). If the plane is equipped with wi-fi (I am a Diamond on Delta which has about 75% of the big planes equipped with wi-fi, while none of the CRJs have it � yet), you can send and receive email, BBMs and have internet access (you cannot text message which uses cellular radio). As such, you could bridge your playbook after 10,000 for the remainder of the flight until they are on final approach, cleared to land.

BBMs do not push if you send them while in the air, not connected to wi-fi. When you land, they show up as a permanent red �X�, not sent. Emails push automatically, and text messages will send if you open and hit �resend� when on the ground.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    09-05-11 08:49 PM
    Sure if you have wifi and want to pay $5-10 then you can use native email.

The real question is why is everyone so obsessed with native email. BB bridge works great and PlayBook 2.0 is coming soon. We all know that PlayBook does not have it. My original post was meant to highlight the strengths of the PlayBook, not the weaknesses. IMHO the PlayBook has only been getting better and even though it is a work in progress, I will continue to enjoy using it until then!
    I think that most of the people that are concerned about the PlayBook having native email are BES users that can't get their emails on their phone. Also the people that don't use BBs but maybe use iPhones or Android devices. They don't have the Bridge functionality. But to you and me, native email is pretty much pointless (except in very rare situations) since we do have BB phones
    09-05-11 09:37 PM
    If he had native email, he said he could have spent the flight *reading emails* and *writing new messages*.

I assume native email support would let you work offline like that... and if so, then clearly native email on the PlayBook would be quite valuable to many business travellers, especially with the large screen and all.
    *THIS* I've been wanting to buy a Playbook for several months now but I need/want a native email app. I do not currently have a BB phone (but that wouldn't make a difference to me) and I hate using webmail.

I can accept limitations in a tablet but lack of native email is not one of them. Even if I'm not near a wifi connection at the time, I can still go through old emails, delete some, reply to others, etc... and when I finally get near a wifi connection, all my prior email activity syncs up to the server.
    09-05-11 11:00 PM
    best part is when im on my PB if one hand gets tired i can go to the next one! hmm... ill leave it at that HAHAHA! The Ipad is just to big and heavy both gens (as much i like them its a reality check)
    09-05-11 11:18 PM
    There's a lot of playbook owners suffering from something alot like little man syndrome. Does that PlayBook come with the huge chip you carry on your shoulder? I bought a playbook, admittedly without knowing I needed a BB phone to get the most utility out of it, thought it was junk and returned it. I've never had an iPad and I think all tablets are probably overpriced toys, but playbook owners seem to feel the need to defend their purchase in the face of competing technology. Why is that, I wonder.
    09-06-11 01:32 AM
    There's a lot of playbook owners suffering from something alot like little man syndrome. Does that PlayBook come with the huge chip you carry on your shoulder? I bought a playbook, admittedly without knowing I needed a BB phone to get the most utility out of it, thought it was junk and returned it. I've never had an iPad and I think all tablets are probably overpriced toys, but playbook owners seem to feel the need to defend their purchase in the face of competing technology. Why is that, I wonder.
    I don't think playbook owners inherently feel the need to defend their purchase. But let's face it. When we love something, we tend to be protective. When someone belittle your beloved Ipad, some Ipad owners would probably come out to defence. On the same note, when someone belittle your beloved playbook, some playbook owners will speak out. What's the problem?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-06-11 02:16 AM
    Well, let's just say that most people tend to justify that they did the right thing.
    Same as some people who sold their PlayBook and consider it a junk, they have the urge to telling others that PB is junk to lessen the feels that they did the wrong move.
    While others still stick to their PB, they already made a choice and hate it when other people told them what to do and whatnot.

We can argue about specs or performance but shouldn't argue about choices that people made.
    09-06-11 02:52 AM
    To the Original Poster...

I am trying to understand how exactly you showed up the IPad user next to you.
    Are you implying that his device can't listen to music while playing games?
    Are you implying that the playbook has superior games to play?
    09-06-11 06:58 AM
    You realize that he could listen to music AND play angry birds, right? Im also going to assume that you know he had the choice of thousands of good games whereas you had 1 or 2 (deadspace & NFS are the only two decent PB games, both on the iPad btw). Had he fired up Netflix, skype, Flipboard etc what would you have come back at him with? Calculator?

I like the PB but seriously, its hardly competetion.

Hi All,

I have had my playbook since about mid-may and absolutely love it. The experience has only gotten better since I picked up my new bold 9900. My wife has an Ipad and sometimes I can't help pointing out all of the limitations of the Ipad.

I was very amused when on my flight home from San Francisco, the person sitting next to me pulled an Ipad (2nd gen). Admittedly, I have a bit of a competitive streak so I had to pull out my playbook and show off a little - disclaimer, I was going to pull it out anyway but maybe a litter earlier than I would have!

He was playing Angry birds...

I was listening to the Suburbs by Arcade Fire and playing tetris at the same. I love using the multi-tasking to switch between songs - it's so seamless.

Then I fired black jack and played a couple of hands.

Then I fired up Dead Space. This game looks amazing on a dimly lit plane and I definitely got a few looks at this point.

Just before we landed he was still playing Angry birds...

Anyways, I was just having a little fun. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    09-06-11 08:16 AM
    You realize that he could listen to music AND play angry birds, right? Im also going to assume that you know he had the choice of thousands of good games whereas you had 1 or 2 (deadspace & NFS are the only two decent PB games, both on the iPad btw). Had he fired up Netflix, skype, Flipboard etc what would you have come back at him with? Calculator?

I like the PB but seriously, its hardly competetion.
    This post was meant only as a humourous comparison but thank you for bringing your concerns to light. I will immediately notify the council for ethical amateur tablet reviewers that my comparisons are biased.
    DeeLishusOne likes this.
    09-06-11 08:40 AM
    My mistake then, I assumed it was a showdown. It was very humerous so good job there.

This post was meant only as a humourous comparison but thank you for bringing your concerns to light. I will immediately notify the council for ethical amateur tablet reviewers that my comparisons are biased.
    QuantumQnx likes this.
    09-06-11 08:44 AM
    best part is when im on my PB if one hand gets tired i can go to the next one! hmm... ill leave it at that HAHAHA! The Ipad is just to big and heavy both gens (as much i like them its a reality check)
    This is a great point and one that I did not make in my original post. The person sitting next to me was unable to comfortably hold the iPad in one hand so he had to place it in his lap and hunch over it. Meanwhile, I could easily hold my PB in one hand and rest it on my tray table. IMHO the ipad just looks cumbersome in an economy seat. As a previous iPad user, I can say that they are not particulary comfortable to hold in one hand for any period of time.
    09-06-11 08:54 AM
    so mr email/ multitask on airplane mode... riddle me this... when on a wifi enabled flight i sign up on my blackberry.. bridge my blackberry and bbm with everyone on the ground and then on top of that let them know when i land and make sure my ride is in place and i surf the web the entire web and i watch movies and switch to the internet and surf and switch back when a good part of the movie happens cause yea how well does the ipad multitask when u switch from the video player.. dont worry ill wait... oh didnt think so and how many people cant u talk to on your flight... oh and how much do u pay to surf the internet without wifi hmmmm once again ill wait... and how about u tell me again how do u upload entire photo albums on facebook or download zip files or anything from the internet while on this wifi enabled ipad without itunes... please dear sir please tell me .... oh and tell me why u arent on crackiphone.com instead... clearly ur on the wrong site
    I think you replied to the wrong guy...or else you didn't get my sarcasm. In any case, I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to say amidst all that bitterness.
    09-06-11 09:27 AM
    It sounds like if you would have challenged the IPad user to a wrist curling contest with tablets, you would have really given him a smackdown he wouldn't soon forget.
    09-06-11 09:27 AM
    And Pull out my iPad and check my email on the fly. Native email is really nice. Does the playbook have native email yet?????? Just asking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Unfortunate that the iPad's trumping feature is native email. What email can you not acess via the web?
    09-06-11 10:09 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD