I have been using two different Playbooks interchangeably for probably two years now. I find some functions laggy -- especially typing on webpages (better after recent update) and the podcast application. The keyboard though must be the best keyboard I will use in the near future. I think it is better than my Z10 by far.

My conundrum is whether or not I should roll the dice on "upgrading" to a 2013 version of the Nexus 7 inch tablet. Has anyone tried these out? In the consumer reviews I have read nightmares about quality control and other android glitches. It sounds sort of like using a half finished version of Windows.

On the other hand, it has new hardware and a high-resolution screen. The speakers also are supposed to be comparable to the Playbook.

It speaks well of the Playbook that its hardware and form factor make it still competitive in 2013. Eventually, however, upgrading to a modern tablet probably will be a good idea for productivity purposes.
    10-05-13 10:08 PM
    I have been using two different Playbooks interchangeably for probably two years now. I find some functions laggy -- especially typing on webpages (better after recent update) and the podcast application. The keyboard though must be the best keyboard I will use in the near future. I think it is better than my Z10 by far.

My conundrum is whether or not I should roll the dice on "upgrading" to a 2013 version of the Nexus 7 inch tablet. Has anyone tried these out? In the consumer reviews I have read nightmares about quality control and other android glitches. It sounds sort of like using a half finished version of Windows.

On the other hand, it has new hardware and a high-resolution screen. The speakers also are supposed to be comparable to the Playbook.

It speaks well of the Playbook that its hardware and form factor make it still competitive in 2013. Eventually, however, upgrading to a modern tablet probably will be a good idea for productivity purposes.
    I had two playbooks but finally had to retire them. I bought myself the nexus 7 and couldn't be happier . I love the slim sleek form factor and the great high res screen. and the low price is quite a bonus . if you get it the only down side is it runs android but other than that its a great tablet.

Canadian Cities BBM channel C001234A4
    10-05-13 10:48 PM
    I tried it...awesome hardware...good app support. Bugs and glitches - I'm back using my playbook.
    10-05-13 10:48 PM
    I tried it...awesome hardware...good app support. Bugs and glitches - I'm back using my playbook.
    Playbook was filled with bugs when it was released, and no PIM for like how long? Seriously get real.

Did you toss it in the trash?

There is, literally, no reason to use a Playbook over even a 2012 Nexus 7, unless you absolutely have to Bridge your Blackberry to it and cannot live without that functionality.

You can go to Wal-Mart and get a cheap HiSense Sero Pro 7 and blow the Playbook away, and save almost $100 over a Nexus 7 if you're into a bargain.
    rnhld likes this.
    10-05-13 11:24 PM
    While I have never used a playbook I do own the new n7 and don't have any complaints. It's great, fast, and in my experience reliable.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 11:29 PM
    Sigh. I guess I should make the leap. I do use BBM on my PB, but that is not enough of a reason to not upgrade.

It would be nice to have an updated PB.
    10-06-13 12:14 AM
    Wait until the PlayBook gets updated to BlackBerry 10... That's still happening right?

Trololol

Posted via CB10

Sigh. I guess I should make the leap. I do use BBM on my PB, but that is not enough of a reason to not upgrade.

It would be nice to have an updated PB.
    But seriously, after seeing BBM demoed on Windows, I decided to buy a Surface Pro and hope that the feature comes sooner then later.

Having said that, I still haven't bough a Pro, waiting for Pro 2.
    10-06-13 12:29 AM
    The Playbook died a painful death in March when it was announced that BB10 wasn't coming. It was barely on life support with a dearth of apps, virtually no support and basically was a poor orphan without anyone to care for it. I have 2 Playbooks that I use intermittently but for most of our tablet needs, my family and I use first generation iPads and they've been great.
    10-06-13 12:31 AM
    I am typing this on my PlayBook while at a restaurant. I take it everywhere. You can't do that with the Surface devices, IMO. I have an RT that I use to power a flat panel. It never leaves its hidden spot because it's too big and heavy to carry around. If I want a laptop I'll bring one.

This is why the Nexus 7 inch is my first choice for a new device. I guess I can always go back to my PBs. The keyboard word prompts are so great. The rubber trim along edge was a great design idea also. There must be many frustrated engineers who feel let down in Waterloo.
    10-06-13 12:47 AM
    I am typing this on my PlayBook while at a restaurant. I take it everywhere. You can't do that with the Surface devices, IMO. I have an RT that I use to power a flat panel. It never leaves its hidden spot because it's too big and heavy to carry around. If I want a laptop I'll bring one.

This is why the Nexus 7 inch is my first choice for a new device. I guess I can always go back to my PBs. The keyboard word prompts are so great. The rubber trim along edge was a great design idea also. There must be many frustrated engineers who feel let down in Waterloo.
    I've seen people bring phones to restaurants and ignore each other at the table but a tablet? You're taking it to a new level.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:15 AM
    Who said I was dining with a companion? I would not pull out a tablet while eating with someone else.
    10-06-13 02:00 AM
    I've gone through three android tabs in the time I've had my PlayBooks. I've got rid of all three. And still use my PlayBook daily.

Granted, my androids were all Samsung, which every time I've brought that up, someone's always said I was wrong in choosing samsung, and should have gone nexus, but honestly, I just find nexus ugly. I don't mean just the hardware, because the Samsungs are so plastic cheap I can't believe anyone can call them premium devices. But the plain android everyone else seems to love, I just....eww. Samsung had some nice features/gimmicks that drew me to them... but even those weren't enough to make me put up with android.

I would totally suggest a windows pro tablet. I bought one and love it. But it is just like a laptop... which is why I still use my pb everyday. for quick easy functions, pb rocks, if in going to sit down and do some real work it's my windows pro (which is Samsung btw. Lol!)

And I agree the 7inch form factor is awesome. My fave. There is a windows 8 7inch but the screen is horrible. A new one is supposed to be on the way.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:19 AM
    I have both.

The Playbook is superior in build and screen resolution. However, why do I use the Nexus 7 and relegate the Playbook to be on a charge stand on my desk and only use it for video chat. My bother and I purchased one each and can only chat via Playbook. No cross 'Skype'.

The graphics on the Nexus (1) are not as good as the Playbook. However, the facility and ease of use for me outweighs the Playbook. The nexus is lighter and fractionally smaller so, even with the cover on, it fits into my inside jacket pocket. I wanted to use the Playbook for GPS/sat nav and have it on the dash of my motorhome. A phone is to small. Magellen never works away from the house and needs 'street' loading. For Europe this is over 1,000 hrs of down loading, and will never fit. When BB said that Playbook was having BB10. I contacted a Mireo, sat nav company who had a programme for the BB10. The said they were writing for the Playbook. When BB10 was cancelled they stopped R&D. Can't blame them.

I use Copilot Europe on the Nexus. Job done.
    10-06-13 03:28 AM
    I got the new nexus and it is seriously good. PlayBook is now retired to media device. The nexus 7 is better in every way.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:11 AM
    I have both.

The Playbook is superior in build and screen resolution. However, why do I use the Nexus 7 and relegate the Playbook to be on a charge stand on my desk and only use it for video chat. My bother and I purchased one each and can only chat via Playbook. No cross 'Skype'.

The graphics on the Nexus (1) are not as good as the Playbook. However, the facility and ease of use for me outweighs the Playbook. The nexus is lighter and fractionally smaller so, even with the cover on, it fits into my inside jacket pocket. I wanted to use the Playbook for GPS/sat nav and have it on the dash of my motorhome. A phone is to small. Magellen never works away from the house and needs 'street' loading. For Europe this is over 1,000 hrs of down loading, and will never fit. When BB said that Playbook was having BB10. I contacted a Mireo, sat nav company who had a programme for the BB10. The said they were writing for the Playbook. When BB10 was cancelled they stopped R&D. Can't blame them.

I use Copilot Europe on the Nexus. Job done.
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    iN8ter likes this.
    10-06-13 05:22 AM
    The new nexus 7 does have build quality issues. My units creaks when I put a little more pressure on certain parts of the bevel. You never experience that with Apple devices.

The swipe up gestures to navigate out of apps is so much better than the persistent controls at the bottom, which kills screen space and is ugly.

I still use my nexus far more because it is silly to think 2-3 year playbook is better...
    10-06-13 07:19 AM
    I have a 2012 Nexus 7 and my mom uses her Playbook, which I used before getting my own. For me, the apps were a big deal. Being a part of the youth, I always have to stay on the loop. Getting a Playbook was an option for me too since it was bargained, but the idea of getting something better by just adding $50 was just tempting.

Even with my first-gen N7, I still enjoyed better graphics, speed, and screen resolution. Also, I could download pirated apps and install them on my N7. The downside to mine is no stereo speakers and HDMI port.

Well those got solved by the newer N7.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 07:40 AM

Dell has a nice cheap 8" Windows 8.1 Tablet (not RT, full Windows) coming out this month.

There are choices, and that's about as portable as a Playbook is.

If you wait, you will have more portable choices than a Surface. Those are largely targeted to be Netbook/Notebook replacements, not necessarily portable tablet devices.
    10-06-13 12:25 PM
    Lol

Posted via CB10
    Graphics on a Playbook with a worse screen and low screen resolution (and absolutely crap GPU by comparison) better than on the Nexus (even the first Gen Nexus 7 blows that thing away). I mean, I can't even formulate a response to that incoherent post.

I second yours.
    10-06-13 12:28 PM
    Graphics on a Playbook with a worse screen and low screen resolution (and absolutely crap GPU by comparison) better than on the Nexus (even the first Gen Nexus 7 blows that thing away). I mean, I can't even formulate a response to that incoherent post.

I second yours.
    You just get me.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:30 PM
    No..I didn't trash it. Returned for refund. To each his own. I didn't buy the playbook when it first released either. I've had it since os2 and for what I paid it still does what I bought it to do. Android still doesn't work for me. Too much flexibility I guess. Seriously, if you are looking for a new tablet, and you have $300 to spend, the nexus 7 (2013) is tough to beat. For me, the $300 wasn't worth spending and there were just enough problems (app crashes, touch screen response issues) I decided to wait a bit longer.
    10-06-13 05:17 PM

I second yours.
    Matter of opinion but the graphics and colors on my PB are a little bit better than on the first generation Nexus 7 I am using right now. Another incoherent post by me. Learning from the leprikan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-06-13 05:29 PM
    I can't understand that the OP prefers the PlayBook keyboard over the Z10 one.
    This is just unbelievable.... The PlayBook keyboard is a nightmare whereas the Z10 keyboard is just amazingly good!!!
    10-06-13 06:47 PM
    I can't understand that the OP prefers the PlayBook keyboard over the Z10 one.
    This is just unbelievable.... The PlayBook keyboard is a nightmare whereas the Z10 keyboard is just amazingly good!!!
    Maybe the screen size makes the difference?
    10-06-13 06:57 PM
    My hands are too big for the Z10. I eventually came to grips (heehee) with this fact after lots of mistyping.

Also, the PB's word suggestions just tickle me to death. Sometimes I feel like it is typing for me when I just tap, tap, tap and word after word gets placed on the screen automatically.
    10-06-13 11:54 PM
34 12