I have a blackberry curve 8330. Version 4.5.0.127. And a brand new playbook.

I went to return my playbook this morning because the bridge was not available for my phone or carrier. The guy at staples told me I needed to update my phone to version 5.0.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Updating from blackberry desktop software. It says I have the current OS for my phone.
    2. Updating from the blackberry website. It also says I have the current OS for my phone.
    3. Searched the forums here and at blackberry on how to get v. 5.0 on my phone. They all suggested I download the OS file to my PC, but I get an error message. HTTP Status 500 - request cannot be fufilled.

Any other ideas before I return the playbook tomorrow?

Thanks,

Stephanie
    04-20-11 12:44 PM
    probably just server overload. try again later.
    04-20-11 12:45 PM
    I think it has been posted in multiple places that you need a BB with OS 5 and above to be able to bridge...
    04-20-11 12:46 PM
    If don't want to ask your boss or bother your boss with a bb, first answer the following questions:

What carrier is this? AT&T/T-Mobile? (If it is then you can buy an unlocked bb on ebay for nothing with OS5) switch out the SIM card.

Sprint/Verizon? You are out of luck, you have to get through work.

And OS5 is pretty old... anything lower than OS5 is really bad...
    04-20-11 12:47 PM
    I don't think the 8330 even supports OS 5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-11 12:49 PM
    I don't think the 8330 even supports OS 5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I upgraded my old 8310 to OS5, so I'm sure the 8330 would be compatible.
    04-20-11 12:52 PM
    Depends on your carrier. I had 8330 with Telus, and the latest OS they had was 4.5. Boost Mobile has OS 5 for 8330. You can install that on your 8330. There are threads discussing the details. One concern that some expressed about OS 5 on 8330 is memory leak. But it may be worth a shot if you want to keep your PB and use Bridge.
    04-20-11 12:52 PM
    04-20-11 12:53 PM
    Here are some details:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.724 (Multilanguage)
    Package Version: 5.0.0.724
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 5.0.0.438
    * Software Platform: 3.5.0.44
    * File name: 8330AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel724_PL3.5.0.44_A5.0.0.438_Boo st_Mobile.exe
    * File size: 90.38MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download the OS file here: https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...753EB7335C4258

1. Backup your device first using Desktop Manager.

2. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
    3. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
    4. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
    If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.
    04-20-11 12:53 PM
    It's not connected to anything else - just a single phone, so work does not play into it. My carrier is Bell/ Aliant (canada).

Searching the forums it sounds like there has been a problem with curve 8330 and v.5, but some have been able to find a workaround. Just cant figure out why it is not working for me.
    04-20-11 12:54 PM
    Yep, you can use the Boost Mobile OS5 on your Curve with no problems and that should get you the Bridge access.

Official OS 5.0.0.438 for the BlackBerry Curve 8330 from Boost Mobile | CrackBerry.com
    04-20-11 12:55 PM
    gordazo - tried that, but it said my device was up to date with v 4.5

XPEH - that is the link I tried that gives me the HTTP status 500 error.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
    04-20-11 12:56 PM
    Yes, you need OS 5 or above to bridge.

Yes the 8330 supports OS 5... BUT, the builds didn't go past the 4xx mark, so there are probably some major bugs... Also IMO the 8330 doesn't really have enough memory to run OS 5. If you do choose to install it I have a feeling it will be a little slow and laggy... You should definitely run Shrink-a-OS to try and free up as much memory as possible.

8330 OS 5.0.0.438 officially released - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

You can search the forums for how to install an OS not officially supported by your carrier, and also how to shrink your OS.
    04-20-11 12:57 PM
    8330 has only 64, there is no way you can fit anything more than OS 4.5, even 4.6... just not enough space... unless it is a custom build that gets rid of many apps..it just work bad it it ever does.

plus with this OS upgrade you might lose BES activation, you might have to go to your IT dept to get it enabled. When I upgraded from 4.3 to 4.5, it happened to me. Thought from 5 to 6 kept everything...
    Last edited by slingxshot; 04-20-11 at 01:01 PM.
    04-20-11 12:57 PM
    8330 has only 64, there is no way you can fit anything more than OS 4.5, even 4.6... just not enough space...
    Boost mobile released an OS 5 build for the 8330... but I have my doubts about how well it will run.
    04-20-11 12:59 PM
    It's not connected to anything else - just a single phone, so work does not play into it. My carrier is Bell/ Aliant (canada).

Searching the forums it sounds like there has been a problem with curve 8330 and v.5, but some have been able to find a workaround. Just cant figure out why it is not working for me.
    Don't give up, or ask for help

I started to worry when my Telus 8330 on 4.5 would not be supported by Blackberry Bridge, since then I have been able to use the Boost OS 5.0 AND with a Precision Zen OS 5.0 theme found on CB, my phone has new life, looks great and will definitely tide me over until at least next year with the QNX phones are out.

Edit: When I tried to install 5.0 a few times it didn't work, I re-read the instructions and made sure I deleted the Vendor.xml file and that was the trigger. Boom, haven't looked back since then.

XPEH's link confirmed working: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...2C7FDA469F0C75

Fill out the form and hit next for software download.
    Last edited by BaconMunch; 04-20-11 at 01:08 PM.
    04-20-11 01:01 PM
    Thanks guys.

Bacon - I had some success with your link. I filled out the form, installed, restarted the computer...then nothing. Do I need to do something after the computer restarts? What is this Vendor.xml file that you speak of?
    04-20-11 01:42 PM
    Get a new phone !!!!!!!!
    04-20-11 01:54 PM
    Haha tumer...that's the exact same thing my husband said to me. I don't want a new one, I love my phone!!!
    04-20-11 01:58 PM
    What is this Vendor.xml file that you speak of?
    Hey

Some instructions from http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...64/index2.html

ELITE1's Quick ... UPGRADE GUIDE

1. Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome.
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
      •64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
      •32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional) Run Shrink-A-OS.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.

Vendor file is mentioned in Step 8

Good luck

AR
    04-20-11 02:05 PM
    sjonesmcd,
    If you can afford a Playbook and want to enjoy the true Blackberry/ Playbook experience, it might be time to think about about a new phone....do a backup of your 8330 through BB Desktop Mgr., get a great new Curve for $50 or even free w/ contract, or very cheap through ebay.
    That was one of my first Blackberry's, very cool in it's day, but technology (and time) move on.......................................
    04-20-11 07:12 PM
    sjonesmcd,
    If you can afford a Playbook and want to enjoy the true Blackberry/ Playbook experience, it might be time to think about about a new phone....do a backup of your 8330 through BB Desktop Mgr., get a great new Curve for $50 or even free w/ contract, or very cheap through ebay.
    That was one of my first Blackberry's, very cool in it's day, but technology (and time) move on.......................................
    not digging 2007 BB
    04-20-11 07:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD