i hadnt seen it yet so you made me go google it lol...its pretty cool i agree. Both UIs on the PB and HC look great. Very fast and smooth.
    Yes the start up screen on the Xoom is frakn awesome!! The whole damn thing is nice aside from the price. At the same time, I'm a firm believer of the old saying "you get what you pay for"... ))
    02-06-11 09:09 PM
    the $800 will be the price, they doesnt appear that there is any benefit to getting a 2 year contract at this point. so basically you have $800+tax +20 for 1 month of service. Honestly the one month required service doesnt bother me as much as $800.
    02-06-11 09:10 PM
    Yes the start up screen on the Xoom is frakn awesome!! The whole damn thing is nice aside from the price. At the same time, I'm a firm believer of the old saying "yo get what you pay for"... ))
    if they had it at 600, you have 3 great tablets doing battle for sure
    02-06-11 09:11 PM
    if they had it at 600, you have 3 great tablets doing battle for sure
    The 32GB PB won't be far off the Xoom....
    02-06-11 09:17 PM
    Are you saying the 32gb playbook will be $800?
    02-06-11 09:20 PM
    you mean in price??
    02-06-11 09:20 PM
    Here's a great link to a read I got off of Android Central---> Xoom Officially Priced at $800, Only One SKU to choose from! (A rant/editorial) - BriefMobile

No I didn't say the PlayBook will be $800. The PlayBook has 3 different models; 16, 32, & 64GB. The Xoom has one. So there are 3 different price points of the PlayBook. Trust me, they'll be priced quite competitively against the competition. No worries.
    mover23 likes this.
    02-06-11 09:24 PM
    Here's a great link to a read I got off of Android Central---> Xoom Officially Priced at $800, Only One SKU to choose from! (A rant/editorial) - BriefMobile

No I didn't say the PlayBook will be $800. The PlayBook has 3 different models; 16, 32, & 64GB. The Xoom has one. So there are 3 different price points of the PlayBook. Trust me, they'll be priced quite competitively against the competition. No worries.
    You scared me for a minute.

Now they just need to get it to market, so I can buy one...
    02-06-11 09:26 PM
    i agree the g-slate might be a winner too. Not to many details about it yet other than a rumored 23th of march release date
    02-06-11 09:29 PM
    You scared me for a minute.

Now they just need to get it to market, so I can buy one...
    No worries.

i agree the g-slate might be a winner too. Not to many details about it yet other than a rumored 23th of march release date
    The PB will be here before the G-Slate. But it looks interesting. All the competition is great for consumers. This is what we should like. People should spend their time thinking about how the competition will make all these tabs better and not worrying about how one out does the other/being nit picky.
    02-06-11 09:32 PM
    I hope you are wrong... That xoom will be close to $900.

If the entry level device is $499 (under $500), it would be insane I think for the next tier jump to be +$300-400. Everybody is expecting closer to $100 step jumps.

Maybe for the 3g carrier supported version?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-11 09:44 PM
    That Xoom commerical was worthless. It didn't even show the tablet really doing anything. $800 +$80 tax +$20 data fee + $30 activation fees hahahahah get freaking real

Oh well I guess they didn't learn anything from the Galaxy Tab. Android runs on multiple brand devices, you can't charge a premium for an Android tablet, face it Moto, you're not Apple.
    02-06-11 10:18 PM
    That Xoom commerical was worthless. It didn't even show the tablet really doing anything. $800 +$80 tax +$20 data fee + $30 activation fees hahahahah get freaking real

Oh well I guess they didn't learn anything from the Galaxy Tab. Android runs on multiple brand devices, you can't charge a premium for an Android tablet, face it Moto, you're not Apple.
    I agree, somebody was smoking something to even suggest this scenario. Of course, there will be some that will fall for this, but it won't last very long. The savvy consumer pocketbook has a lot of clout.
    02-07-11 01:23 AM
    Common and arrive already Playbook you have the right pricepoint compared to the competition.

02-07-11 08:48 AM
    Holy moley forgot to add the mandatory activation fee (mandatory because the first month of data service is)... We are looking at a possible $930 price tag? They just disenfranchised themselves from a HUGE chunk of their potential customers.

RIM will love this news. They can probably jack up their price another $100 now. One downside to the Xoom costing so much.

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-07-11 at 09:04 AM.
    02-07-11 09:02 AM
    Only fan boys are buying at this price and even some of them have said errrr let me see what LG,Samsung and others bringing.

I had considered a Xoom but at $800. I can't justify it. I could use it for work but it's not a I got to have it to do my job. After tax and fees you've spend right at $1000. I'm a single dad, for that type of money I'd take my son to Disney World/6 Flags or something, at least it'll be a lifetime of memories :-) or buy him that new 3D nintendo thingy and a iPad and still have money left over for something to eat. I got the cash for it but I don't think it would be wise for me to spend it on a Xoom or any tablet at that price
    02-07-11 09:06 AM
    What I might do, is settle for a 32GB Playbook, rather than a 64GB, given the prices. RIM can't jack up their prices, others Apple will be like "Muahahaha priced yourself right out of the competition". RIM needs to lower their prices by about $100.
    02-07-11 10:11 AM
    i wont pick up a xoom at the current price, the PB and hopefully the new LG G-slate will be better options. IF the price comes down to 600 for the xoom then i would really look into it.

activation is easy to get waived with VZW (in the past atleast), you basically tell them to take the charge off and they do.
    02-07-11 11:32 AM
    Nope $800 is out of the question. For that price I'll get a PB and worry about emails later. Yeah I could get the fee waived also. Our Verizon rep would get it taken care of
    02-07-11 03:07 PM
    Definitely going to get a PB, mainly because of the easy-to-take-somewhere size, and from everything I've read about each, and seen from videos. It seems like that's what I would like to have. No matter the price, I'll try to get it as a late birthday present. Haha.
    02-07-11 06:17 PM
    Did anybody consider the fact that the leaked Best Buy flyer for the Xoom was maybe "altered" when it comes to price? Apple let on for weeks that the iPad might be priced in the $800-range, but Jobs surprised quite a few when he announced $499 for the entry level. Maybe someone is screwing with all of us regarding pricing.

Then again, Moto might have a lot of balls and thinks that Android will now command that kind of money from its disciples...
    02-07-11 07:13 PM
    yeah i mentioned in another thread that the price was 699 i BB system so i am not sure how real the price in the ad is. just have to wait and see when the add is in other peoples hands
    02-07-11 07:18 PM
    $699 is upper end but that $100 makes a difference. If they really want to shock people sell it for $599 LOL but $699 I will still consider it after I've seen the PB and iPad2

At $800 I'd wait till it dropped which is going to happen when other Android tablets with the same specs hit but for less(minus the 3G)

Apple & RIM make both the software & hardware. They can ask more. Android tablet makers aren't even paying for the software, there will be 80+ android tablets so why would I pay $800 for one tablet when I can get a similar for $500
    At least with RIM & Apple the only device their OS runs on is their hardware
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-07-11 08:35 PM
    good comparison. steve jobs must have made a strategic decision already wrt ipad 2.
    02-14-11 04:15 AM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD