PB alone here, bought it to escape from the apple/google duopoly.
    Considering a BB10 phone, because my carrier would let me change.
    Waiting to see if the current indispensable apps I have on the PB will run on BB10 (some of them sideloaded, like the Eye-Fi receiver).
    Worried by the BB closedness anyhow (I also have an OpenMoko phone).
    Eying Ubuntu machines too, which anyhow will appear only in the long-term future.
    Some really great apps here (from the UI point of view), and an excellent microkernel-based system, do balance the tradeoff still...
    03-06-13 03:20 PM
    i have a playbook and use an HTC oneS for a phone and have a 6gig per month data plan so i just hotspot my phone and surf the web with playbook---works great
    03-06-13 03:20 PM
    I have a company Blackberry phone but not allowed to tether my PB. So I use a Huawei E5331 mifi with a 3 month / 3GB PAYG sim. Works great.
    So...your company has no clue on how the PlayBook would make using your BlackBerry so much easier without risking any confidential company data. What a shame.
    03-06-13 03:56 PM
    I only have a Playbook. My current phone is the Optimus S (using it for 2 years now)...my upgrade date was March 1st. I am going to stick with Android. I decided not to get the Z10 although Sprint will not even carry it anyway and I do not want the Q10. I do not want to switch carriers either so it is the HTC One (when it comes out) or the Samsung Note 2 or SG3 or 4 if it comes out soon. Not sure yet. However, I love my Playbook and use it everyday. I love the UI, I love the screen, sound and just about everything. I will not buy another tablet at this time, I am very happy with the PB and it does what I need it to do. I just use two different OS's for my tablet and phone but it works for me!
    03-06-13 04:21 PM
    I have a PB but I don't have a phone at all.
    +1
    03-06-13 04:35 PM
    I only have a PB...
    03-06-13 04:48 PM
    PB and a Samsung phone
    03-06-13 05:40 PM
    Used to have 9900 and pb combo. I'm now on a Lumia 920. Thought I would miss bridge but hotspot works just fine. In fact I've started using my pb less and less since the Lumia is big and bright with 4g.

Hopefully the new is drops soon so to reignite my interest in my pb..
    03-06-13 05:42 PM
    I had the curve 8530 when I purchased my playbook, but it broke so now I have an iPhone 4s. I used to bridge my curve a lot with the playbook. It was nice to get my BBMs while browsing the web but since I don't have that option anymore, the playbook has been sitting in it's case for over 3 months now collecting dust. The build quality is great but without bridge, there is just very little for me to do besides browse the web. The games aren't good enough (quality or idea) and there aren't enough of the apps that I often use (instagram, QQ, pinterest, tuding etc.).

I was thinking of selling both the iPhone and Playbook to get a Blackberry Bold and iPod touch but since there are rumors that BB 10 might come to the Playbook, I might wait. Still thinking of going back to a BB phone though.
    d.flex likes this.
    03-06-13 06:22 PM
    So...your company has no clue on how the PlayBook would make using your BlackBerry so much easier without risking any confidential company data. What a shame.
    Sadly, this is not uncommon. I also have a Work BlackBerry which has very restrictive policies including not being able to link to a PlayBook. I ended up getting a personal BlackBerry, a Bold 9900, to go with the PlayBook.
    03-06-13 07:43 PM
    3 Playbooks here, and no BB phone
    03-06-13 08:23 PM
    No BB phone here, I'm an ancient Nokia Symbian user

The phone works well through Bluetooth tethering with the PB so Internet access is easily available and uses a lot less power than a Wi-fi hotspot. Too bad the PB doesn't support BT file transfers, I can't transfer files between phone and PB without a Wi-fi network in between.
    03-06-13 10:26 PM
    Do I need a BB phone?

Playbook - wonderful. Hotmail and gmail sync contacts and calendar
    Nexus 7 Android - for satnav. Hotmail and gmail sync contacts and calendar
    Orange Monte Carlo Android - mobile phone. Hotmail and gmail sync contacts and calendar
    Aspire Laptop - Windows 7. Hotmail and gmail

All mobile units could be sync'd to emails but as I am now retired there is not a need. But they all worked well when I originally tried the full sync.

No matter which unit I enter the details for contacts or calendar, all the others receive the update within minutes of wifi connection. The laptop is permanently connected to a router. The mobile phone has wifi and data connection. Playbook and Nexus are wifi and tethered to the mobile and home hub.

Many members enthuse about 'Bridge'. I believe what I have is almost the same.

When BB10 arrives and allows screen time out to be set, the Playbook will be my preferred satnav. As a bonus I believe that Skype will also be available.

Regards to all members

Ross
    Last edited by rossjackson01; 03-07-13 at 03:39 AM.
    03-07-13 02:08 AM
    Me :-)
    I got a PlayBook for christmas, but am still running an android phone. Am possibly considering a BB phone for remote control of the PlayBook, but it won't be any time soon!
    03-07-13 04:02 AM
    Works perfectly (for me) with Android phone (WIFI) or even old Symbian Nokia (Bluetooth).
    03-07-13 05:20 AM
    No BB phone, and at �500-�600 a pop, there's no chance of me ever owning a Z10 for a long time to come.

I absolutely adore my Playbooks (I have a 16Gb and a 64Gb) and don't see me owning another tablet until this one actually expires its natural lifespan.
    MarlenaRosie likes this.
    03-07-13 05:27 AM
    Sadly, this is not uncommon. I also have a Work BlackBerry which has very restrictive policies including not being able to link to a PlayBook. I ended up getting a personal BlackBerry, a Bold 9900, to go with the PlayBook.
    That's one of RIM's two sided problems. Corporate liable enterprises loved them because they were so awesome at managing and locking down devices. But when BYOD took over, a lot of previous corporate liable users though BlackBerries were much simpler/less functional than they were.
    03-07-13 07:39 AM
    I was thinking of selling both the iPhone and Playbook to get a Blackberry Bold and iPod touch but since there are rumors that BB 10 might come to the Playbook, I might wait.
    Doesn't get any more official than this

Thorsten Heins says BlackBerry plans to upgrade 'all existing PlayBooks' to BB10 | The Verge
    03-07-13 07:42 AM
    My PlayBook is my very first BB device. I have had it since October and have paired it with the two phones I have had in that time, android Samsung galaxy s2 and windows 7.8 nokia lumia 800.
    I loved the idea of BB bridge and do intend to switch to BB10 in the future, but not before Bridge functionality is restored.

I will own a Z10 or Q10 eventually and look forward to a BB10 OS across tablet and phone where bridge and all aspects compliment the two devices.

Reading this thread it seems BB has missed out on a few sales of the Z10, not least with the shambles of the release in the US, but in the dumbed down bridge function which consumers will not buy into until resolved.

Eagerly awaiting BB10 for PB and bridge proper with BB10 phones; at that point I will convert to an all BB mobile setup.
    03-07-13 08:39 AM
    Used to Bridge my PB (had since launch) with my 9810 until bills got too high and I had to drop my 9810 for a work phone to cut down on finances... Loved the **** out of the Bridge functionality when I was mobile for work, and still use my PB all the time for emails, document-reading, web browsing... Contemplating convincing work to swap the standard flip phone to a Z10 when they hit the States, considering all the side projects they have me doing
    03-07-13 09:01 AM
    PB and iphone, heading back to an Android handset next upgrade.
    03-07-13 10:27 AM
    Just PB for me and an android phone (cheapo LG One). I would consider the BB10 (z10 or q10), waiting to see what happens with the USA launch. Looking forward to BB10 on PB too. I use it mainly as a portable video player. Looking forward to getting the added Codecs with BB10.
    03-07-13 12:20 PM
    I used to have a 9800, which I used with my PB.

I used the Bridge a LOT as I mostly work in a WiFi-denied area and being able to browse the web, read/reply to emails on a big screen for free using my BB dataplan was great. Loss of Bridge when I got my Nokia (contract up and sticking 9800 keyboard) was actually my biggest regret about leaving BB phones.

My PB gets used a lot less now except as a games machine, or movie player when I'm on the road, and I've stopped taking it to work.

I still miss Bridge, and won't even consider a Z10 until it comes back in all its former glory.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-07-13 01:13 PM
    l have an iPhone 4, iPad 2 and with all the apps l have i doubt if l'll be getting the Z10 despite how drooling its looks as it really is a nice bit of kit.............but for the same price on contract i can get an iPhone 5, I was tempted by the nexus 4 but if the price is right the Z10 might become my 2nd phone but the apps need to be there.....
    03-07-13 08:49 PM
    Playbook - wonderful. Hotmail and gmail sync contacts and calendar
    Nexus 7 Android - for satnav. Hotmail and gmail sync contacts and calendar
    Nexus 7 doesn't have GPS, does it? AFAIK it only does "assisted GPS" using cell towers to triangulate your position. i.e. No phone coverage, no GPS. As a sailor that doesn't work for me.

Anyway, my PlayBook is the first and only BB device I have ever owned. I bought it very specifically for the Pacemaker app. I have a Pacemaker device, I was looking for a back-up and a brand new PB was cheaper than a used Pacemaker. I originally got a 16Gb model but recently upgraded to a 64Gb and passed the 16Gb to a mate (who also has a Pacemaker).

The PB has impressed me thoroughly. Just last night I was comparing the screen to an iPad 2 and it absolutely blew it out of the water. I find myself looking for things I can do with it, just because it is such a pleasure to use. It made me very keen to check out the new BB10 phones but it quickly became apparant that they were not going to be in my price range so I signed a new contract for an HTC 8S in January - free on a $29 plan over 24 months here in Australia.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that we'll eventually get things like Photoshop Touch (I'm a graphic artist) and Navionics (sailing charts) but in the meantime Kindle will give me lots of new opportunities to play with my PlayBook, so I have plenty to look forward to.
    03-07-13 11:20 PM
84 1234