I have tried tethering my Playbook with my iPhone 3GS via bluetooth and the iPhone says that the device isn't supported so no go for me there. Because I'm on the older 3GS, I don't have the option to do the adhoc wifi network unless I jailbreak my iphone (which I might do).

I was wondering... if I got a micro USB to standard USB adapter, could I plug my iPhone 3GS directly into the Playbook via the USB port with the iPhone in tether mode? Would that work? Has anyone tried it?

If not... I might just jailbreak my 3GS so I can use a MyWi or whatever it is called.

PS - Lovin' the Playbook!
    03-09-12 10:48 AM
    3GS won't work due to hardware limitations that 4 does not have. I have a JB 5.01 3GS and tried various methods but to no avail.

I am due for an upgrade on my phone in a year and when I do, I will make sure the phone can do an adhoc network.
    03-09-12 12:24 PM
    The PlayBook doesn't support ad-hoc WiFi too, unfortunately. The 3GS is only able to create an ad-hoc WiFi even with jailbreak apps, and they don't work. And the iPhone wouldn't pair with the PlayBook, so the native Bluetooth tethering won't work too.

My old Nokia N82, on the other hand, can pair with the PlayBook just fine and it'd tether without a problem. The thing is, my unlimited data SIM is in the iPhone, and if I plug it out, I wouldn't receive any push notification for messaging and call apps.

I can create another ad-hoc WiFi on my Nokia and the iPhone would connect to it just fine. But it'll kill its aging battery in no time. Sigh.
    03-09-12 11:40 PM
    It's easy. Update to the 4S and sell the 3GS.
    03-10-12 09:10 AM
    Yea, my contact is up in about 6 months. I'll probably wait for the next round of phones to come out before jumping on the upgrade bandwagon.
    03-10-12 10:03 AM
    Resell price of the 3GS will go down over time too. Check your sums carefully. It'd be a shame to wait if it's six vice a half-dozen. Good luck.
    03-10-12 11:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD