Hello, my PB's micro usb port no longer works, cant charge or plug it into my computer (thankfully i have the charging stand). My warranty is up, is this a common occurrence? Is there an easy fix? When i plug it into my computer it detects something is plugged in but doesnt know its my playbook. If it push down hard on the cord and pb it will fully connect but as soon as i let go it disconnects. Please help! I need to do a wipe and want to back up.
    01-12-13 03:35 PM
    Not sure what you can do...maybe try different usb cables. I noticed that there is a difference in the way the cables that come with the phones fit compared to the ones that come with the PlayBook. How did it happen? Did you accidentally pick it up while it was still plugged in or did it just STOP working?
    01-12-13 04:53 PM
    Check inside the usb port on the pb. There is a connector and it should be near the bottom of the port and it should be level and not bent or slanted up or downward. If bent, use a non-conductive tool of some kind to VERY GENTLY level it out.

The following image (courtesy of Chaddface in a thread from yesterday) shows the port on the pb (Micro-AB) which is squarish and permits one to accidentally plug the cable in upsidedown and bend the connector. The connector is exaggerated in the diagram. It is a pretty flush/flat connector.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook USB port no longer working-micro_usb_type_a_b.jpg  
    01-12-13 05:51 PM
    It's either a bent pin or a loose solder (similar to a loose headphone jack). If it is a loose solder, then you have to re-solder the joint.
    01-12-13 06:12 PM
    You could call RIM. There were cases on here where they repaired it under warranty anyway.
    01-12-13 06:14 PM
    Same trouble with USD port which happens third (!!!) time.
    Creature has already optimised my wallet for $50 and now it wants more again. I wish I throw my PB on the wall.
    04-15-13 02:00 AM