I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have not found anything on it, so here it goes...

Will RIM allow the PlayBook's USB port be used to access addition external storage?
    03-02-12 11:07 AM
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I have not found anything on it, so here it goes...

Will RIM allow the PlayBook's USB port be used to access addition external storage?
    You didn't search well enough... try a search on "USB OTG"...
    03-02-12 11:09 AM
    Perhaps in the future. Nobody knows for certain, and would definately be a great enhancement and selling point.
    03-02-12 11:09 AM
    If they stand by the statement that the playbook is the future of mobile computing then I would say they have to at some point.
    03-02-12 01:10 PM
    The PlayBook is a very secure and versatile piece of technology. Whatever you can think of, some talented individual can write a good program for it and make a lot of money while doing it.
    03-02-12 01:31 PM
    Wow. How helpful. It would have been easier for you to just say Yes or No. In other words, answer her question. Answers like that really tick me. If you couldn't be helpful why post at all. Everyone is not an expert like you you know. The OP searched, couldn't find, so came looking for help. GRRRR...

Anyway, the other posters came along to help. Kudos.

You didn't search well enough... try a search on "USB OTG"...
    usedberry and esk369 like this.
    03-02-12 01:40 PM
    Wow. How helpful. It would have been easier for you to just say Yes or No. In other words, answer her question. Answers like that really tick me. If you couldn't be helpful why post at all. Everyone is not an expert like you you know. The OP searched, couldn't find, so came looking for help. GRRRR...

Anyway, the other posters came along to help. Kudos.
    Wow, how useless.

I actually gave him a very useful piece of advice by telling him to search for "USB OTG" to find loads of information on the subject from several topics without needing to repeat it all over again...
    peter9477 likes this.
    03-02-12 01:53 PM
    Just to tease you guys...
    RicThot likes this.
    03-02-12 02:13 PM
    The simple answer is yes it is possible but not right now as it is not implimented in the current OS... If the new routing software Dingleberry is able to root the current OS you could do it then.....
    03-02-12 02:30 PM
    Just to tease you guys...
    Click to view quoted image
    Looks to me like it's in the works.
    03-02-12 02:36 PM
    This is what I also think!
    03-02-12 02:57 PM
    Native e-mail was in the works also.lol
    RicThot likes this.
    03-02-12 02:59 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook USB Host (connect a pendrive) How to
    elTecnoBlog
    08-28-12 11:39 PM
    USB OTG is yet another example of how poorly RIM executed when it comes to the PlayBook. When the PlayBook was first announced and launched it was rare for a tablet to have the hardware to do it. RIM could have used USB host mode as a must have feature that would help sell the things. Instead, they lost the oppurtunity and now pretty much every Android device I encounter can do it. I can plug my DSLR into a Android phone and view/transfer the pictures. I can modify maps on my Garmin GPS using a Android phone. PlayBook you can't do any of that. Because RIM needs at least a couple of years worth of time to add something as simple USB OTG drivers.

That's what concerns me with bb10. PlayBook had tons of potential, but RIM takes way too long to accomplish anything. Just look at the wait we had for email and contacts. For example - Google and Asus was able to take the Nexus7 from an idea to launched and in consumer's hands in less time than it took RIM to give the already launched PlayBook email. BB10 is doomed to be a repeat of the PlayBook if RIM don't learn to speed things up.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-29-12 06:37 AM
    Berryboba:

there was a lot of promise from RIM with the playbook that has been forgotten or delayed. They've promised a lot of functionality and features on launch day that were "Coming Soon™" that still arent here.

For example: RIM promised on launch that they were working on and would release DLNA and uPNP support in the playbook. They estimate this would be done around the time of 2.0 in the coming months.

Well, 2.0 took nearly a year to get out the door

and DLNA nor UPNP support is still absentee.
    E10CDM likes this.
    08-29-12 01:35 PM
    RIM could have used USB host mode as a must have feature that would help sell the things. Instead, they lost the oppurtunity and now pretty much every Android device I encounter can do it.
    The reality is USB host wouldn't have significantly increased tablet sales... There were so many other issues that were larger factors, by far...
    Sprawl likes this.
    08-29-12 01:37 PM
    The reality is USB host wouldn't have significantly increased tablet sales... There were so many other issues that were larger factors, by far...
    It definitely wouldn't have hurt any though.
    08-30-12 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD