Question: Can we, or will we be able to insert some type of card reader into the min usb port to download pictures directly from a camera? Such a great device and would not need a computer if this was possible? Right now, it seems we need a PC as a go between to transfer the pictures. Was hoping to take a long trip and the Playbook could replace needing a computer if I could figure this out? Any help or suggestions?

Brian
    01-29-12 03:35 PM
    Not yet. I've read rumours that RIM plans to expand on the USB abilities of the Playbook but I've never read exactly what they have planned.
    For long trips I suggest taking several cards for your camera. Not big cards. Whatever you need to hold 400-500 photos on each. At least that way if a card goes bad you aren't loosing 2000 photos at once.
    01-29-12 03:56 PM
    there is one way that might work for you (but you may hate it!). if you use a micro sd card in your camera (inserted in a micro sd card adaptor) then it can be transferred to some blackberry phones and from there you can get access to the playbook. not neat and tidy but i have done it!!
    01-29-12 04:19 PM
    That is such a shame. My idea is to look at the pictures on the Playbook during a month long Europe trip. Would eliminate needing a computer and could use the playbook in Wifi spots

Brian
    01-29-12 04:19 PM
    If you root, you can enable USB Host using the method described on elTecnoBlog

Then you are able to mount cards / flash drives (as long as they don't appear as multi-function USB hubs).
    01-29-12 04:44 PM
    Take a look at http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-673569/ .

The basic short answer is, the PlayBook has the hardware for it but the software isn't ready yet. RIM is clearly working on this capability but we don't know when it will be released. I don't recommend the rooting option, the current support is disabled for a good reason as it is very buggy.
    01-29-12 05:09 PM
    Thanks for all the replys. I guess I will wait and see.

Brian
    01-29-12 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD