Hi guys i encountered a problem... My Playbook usb port has broken pin.... it just faces upper port wall and don't know if it's totally broken or could be broken.. Now i would ask is it possible to fix by factory? How much would that cost? Don't have check and didn't buy the 2 year insurance, so what do i suppose to do now? I belive i could just buy the magnetic charger, but about getting movies and etc to it now that's the problem. Guys tell me you opinion what should i do now..?

Thanks in advance!
    02-05-12 05:07 PM
    Hey I'll let you know in a couple weeks if it costs anything

I sent my PlayBook in on Wednesday for a USB issue as well, it was sent for Free, and they are going to look at it to say if it is warranty or if they will charge me to fix it.
    02-05-12 05:13 PM
    Yeah problem for factory fixing i need to send all way back to UK and ask them to fix it.. Now i'm kinda depressed Such a good hardware but the ports... i hate that microusb the charger has broke, now the port i can't even use pc to get files on it that's horrible.. I guess they can change the port, but how much will that cost?
    02-05-12 05:18 PM
    Sorry to hear you guys are going through this. I will following up to see the end result.
    02-05-12 06:01 PM
    I'm curious as to how long you've had your playbooks before this happened to the as i have bought one recently (i am noob)
    02-05-12 06:25 PM
    Brutal!
    One thing you can do before/after getting it fixed is to load files via wifi.
    Just find your PB IP address and go \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx from the PC run command.
    02-05-12 06:48 PM
    I had a broken micro USB port on my playbook several weeks ago. i called customer service and they had me send the device in for repair. i received my playbook back in about 1 week with the usb port now working and was NOT charged a penny. i had not purchased any extended warranty with the device. i would suggest calling customer service.....they were fantastic.
    auditman likes this.
    02-05-12 09:31 PM
    I had a broken micro USB port on my playbook several weeks ago. i called customer service and they had me send the device in for repair. i received my playbook back in about 1 week with the usb port now working and was NOT charged a penny. i had not purchased any extended warranty with the device. i would suggest calling customer service.....they were fantastic.
    Thx for this info. It will come handy to those pb users that have issues with usb.
    02-05-12 09:37 PM
    Hi all,

I bought two playbooks in December 2012. A few weeks ago my playbook refused to charge and to start up. I called customer service and was advised to send the item for repair. A few days after pickup I was called and advised that the broken micro USB port was not covered by the 2 years warranty. I would have to pay for it to be repaired, I refused saying that I am covered by the 3 months unlimited warranty period. I received the playbook back unrepaired. Please advice me what to do.

Blackarosu
    03-07-13 11:03 AM
    can you move the little tab back into place gently? that's all I can think of. except for full backups, you can get around the usb port with a fapid charging cradle and wifi sharing for ghe time being
    03-07-13 11:26 AM
    Mine broke months ago.

I bought a rapid charger and sync via usb
    03-07-13 11:36 AM
    Hi all,

I bought two playbooks in December 2012. A few weeks ago my playbook refused to charge and to start up. I called customer service and was advised to send the item for repair. A few days after pickup I was called and advised that the broken micro USB port was not covered by the 2 years warranty. I would have to pay for it to be repaired, I refused saying that I am covered by the 3 months unlimited warranty period. I received the playbook back unrepaired. Please advice me what to do.

Blackarosu
    How much did they say it would be to repair?

I got my 16gb pb from amazon for $100 and the usb was broken when I got it, I'm fine with charging via rapid charger and syncing via wifi but I can't charge my pb while it's hooked up to hdmi so I would like to get it fixed.
    03-07-13 07:30 PM
    From what I hear, the cost of repairing an out-of-warranty PB exceeds the replacement cost. I'm with charging via the rapid charger and transferring files via WiFi. The HDMI port still works so the OP can still watch videos and movies over the HDTV.

As to the rapid charger, the OP should not get the cradle version but the regular transformer with wire leading to the plugs. That way he can have the PB hooked to the HDMI and the charger.
    03-07-13 08:01 PM
    I had the same problem with my 64g PlayBook. What prompted me to have it fixed was a totally unrelated incident. I was walking from one room to another with my PlayBook and when I sat down the unit was rebooting to the factory settings startup screen. Needless to say, all of the data was pooched.
    I had been backing it up using the older version of BlackBerry desktop, but I unfortunately had un installed it as it seemed to be conflicting with the newly installed BlackBerry Link. So much for being careless!
    Anyway, I called BlackBerry to confirm the worst and I ended up mentioning the broken usb port. The customer service representative said she was extending the 90 day warranty and arranged to have it sent to Tennessee for repair. I purchased this PlayBook well over a year ago, but I got the distinct impression that it was being fixed for free.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-13 08:37 PM
    From what I hear, the cost of repairing an out-of-warranty PB exceeds the replacement cost. I'm with charging via the rapid charger and transferring files via WiFi. The HDMI port still works so the OP can still watch videos and movies over the HDTV.

As to the rapid charger, the OP should not get the cradle version but the regular transformer with wire leading to the plugs. That way he can have the PB hooked to the HDMI and the charger.
    Thanks for the info. I seriously didn't know that there was a rapid charger that wasn't a cradle haha. I feel silly. I called bb support and they said send it in and they'll take a look at it. But I bought mine used so I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty then I read your comment and did some research. Just bought a non-cradle version rapid charger from amazon for $15... Thanks again!
    03-08-13 12:04 AM
    Same issues as everyone else. I did find the rapid charger at www.thesource.ca for $20 and will pick one up tomorrow. How do I add or remove files if the cord won't fit to sync?
    03-12-13 09:30 PM
    Same issues as everyone else. I did find the rapid charger at The Source | Netbooks & Laptops | Cell Phones | GPS | Batteries | Xbox, PS3 & Wii | 3D LED TVs, LCD & Plasma TVs | Home Theater Systems & More | La Source for $20 and will pick one up tomorrow. How do I add or remove files if the cord won't fit to sync?
    Wifi sharing. It is pretty easy to setup. Did you try looking in the port and seeing if you can straighten the connector. It should not be bent/slanted and should be level.

WiFi Fileshare

once you have the wired connection set up go back to my computer and do the following (this is for windows 7, other versions should be similar)

before beginning, ensure your playbook and PC are both connected to the same wireless signal, and that "file sharing" and "wifi sharing" are both on in the storage & security tab of the settings menu

-just above the file explorer in the header or the my computer window there will be an option called "map a network drive"
    -click on it and in the new window that pops up select the drive letter you would like to correspond with your playbook's wireless connection (i used Z)
    -in the folder section you will type the ip address of your playbook followed by specifically locating the media folder. it should look as follows:
    \\111.111.1.11\media
    -replace the 1's above with the actual ip address of your playbook. This can be found in your settings menu, in the about section. there will be a dropdown menu in this section that has an option for Network.
    -once in the network section of the about tab you will find your ip address. it is the one referred to as IPv4. you can ignore the grayed out / and 2 numbers at the end. All you need it the number corresponding with the 1's showed above.
    -enter your ip address that you have now found into the map a network drive window and click ok. This drive will now be available in the my computer window.

your wireless file transfer is now setup

map wifi wi-fi

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/

How to copy files to and from a BlackBerry PlayBook using Wi-Fi Sharing Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    03-12-13 11:17 PM
    I know for me I just typed a command line into the run box. either 2 or 3 //'s then the ip address. does one way have advantages over another?
    03-12-13 11:28 PM
    Just an update on my PlayBook repair. My PlayBook arrived back from Tennessee with the USB plug in fixed. As I mentioned in my previous post, the PlayBook is well over one year old. BlackBerry fixed the unit no charge. I am very impressed!

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 07:39 AM
    Just an update on my PlayBook repair. My PlayBook arrived back from Tennessee with the USB plug in fixed. As I mentioned in my previous post, the PlayBook is well over one year old. BlackBerry fixed the unit no charge. I am very impressed!

Posted via CB10
    That's terrific. If I may ask, what was broken about the usb port? Was it bent or just not working? It would be interesting to hear that they fixed a "mechanical" problem that might have been user-caused as opposed to some internal flaw with the port.
    nappp likes this.
    03-15-13 09:24 AM
    That's terrific. If I may ask, what was broken about the usb port? Was it bent or just not working? It would be interesting to hear that they fixed a "mechanical" problem that might have been user-caused as opposed to some internal flaw with the port.
    I agree. please provide any additional information you have. could help others
    03-15-13 03:43 PM
    I suspect that the USB port

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 08:16 PM
    The port being bent was probably my fault. The agent I dealt with stated that she was extending the warranty. I was resigned to having to pay to have it repaired. I was impressed that they looked after it no charge.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-15-13 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD