Hey Guys/Gals,

My issue is I cannot connect my Playbook to my computer via USB. I have the latest version of the BlackBerry Desktop software installed on my computer. I tried the connection on my laptop and my desktop (both with the latest software versions). I checked my USB wire to see if it was the problem, but my Bold connects just fine with the same USB wire. Could the problem be my Playbook USB port? I included a few pictures of my USB port on my Playbook. If you need better pictures I can try my best.

It does charge. I tried it on both a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 8 PC. Neither work via USB, but both work via WiFi. My playbook recently had to be stack charged about a week ago because it would not charge.

Thanks for any kind of help
    Jordan

Playbook USB Connection Troubles-picture-4.jpg
    Playbook USB Connection Troubles-picture-5.jpg
    Playbook USB Connection Troubles-picture-7.jpg
    Last edited by Jordan Froomkin; 08-15-13 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Additional Info
    08-15-13 08:26 PM
    Yes the USB port may be damaged. This is not the end of the world, you can still charge with a rapid charger. Also you can use bluetooth or wifi to connect to the device from the PC.
    08-15-13 08:41 PM
    Ok. Thanks for the help. I have no trouble with my bluetooth/wifi connections, I just wanted to make sure it was my Playbook and not some kind of software bug I wasn't aware of. And yes, you're right, it charges with my rapid charger.
    08-15-13 08:46 PM
    Does it still charge with the USB port? The problem may be with the PC.
    08-15-13 08:56 PM
    Jordan,

I can't tell from the photos if there is physical damage, but the micro USB is susceptible to damage.

You don't mention if the charge function is still working. If it is, then likely the USB is OK.

You don't mention what type of computer you are on. If it is a Mac and your logged in account does lot have administration rights the OS7 devices will connect and the PlayBook OS2 will not. You can try an account with administration rights.

I have also had mine stop working that a restart corrected.

Apart from the backup, you can do everything via WiFi (i find it easier, and not necessarily any slower). (i don't believe the PlayBook supports bluetooth file transfer to your pc, only to your Bold through BB Bridge) here's a link if you haven't done it: Wi-Fi File Sharing on the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    08-15-13 08:57 PM
    It still charges, yes.
    08-15-13 08:59 PM
    The USB port on the PlayBook in the picture looks ok to me. It is not bent up. There have been problems experienced by others trying to hook up their PlayBooks via USB to Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. Something to do with outdated drivers. If the OP has a windows 7 or 8 computer, a search of this forum for others who had this problem and had them solved is a way forward.
    Last edited by Enyigma; 08-16-13 at 09:46 AM.
    08-15-13 09:00 PM
    It does charge. I tried it on both a Windows 7 PC and a Windows 8 PC. Neither work via USB, but both work via WiFi. My playbook recently had to be stack charged about a week ago because it would not charge.
    08-15-13 09:01 PM
    You could also try the BB link software. It is meant for BB10 but works well with the PB.
    08-15-13 09:04 PM
    It just shows "Unknown Device" on the BB link software.

Playbook USB Connection Troubles-blkbrrylink.png
    08-15-13 09:36 PM
    I am going to skim through similar problems in the forums, but since the WiFi works fine, it is not a priority issue, really. I really just wanted to make sure my Playbook port was OK.
    08-15-13 09:37 PM
    If it shows up as unknown device, then the usb connection by itself should be fine, because the computer detects it
    It seems more like a software issue. Did it work before on the same software/hardware configuration?
    Maybe try a different port? I've had that issue before, and ended up formating my pb, and it worked after that
    08-15-13 09:46 PM
    Do you try and connect while the WiFi is switched on? Try turning off your WiFi on the PlayBook. Sometimes the PlayBook will not recognise the USB connection because it will favour the WiFi link to the computer instead.
    08-16-13 01:56 AM
    Good idea but didn't work. Thanks for trying
    08-16-13 02:24 AM
    Tried a few ports with the same conclusion. Also, it was the first time I used the Link software because someone suggested it. I was using BlackBerry Desktop before, but all of a sudden it won't work. I was told there has been some trouble with Windows 8 and Windows 7 drivers. I have been looking into any updates.
    08-16-13 02:26 AM
    Blackberry Link is now acceptable for use with the Playbooks
    Hey Guys/Gals,

My issue is I cannot connect my Playbook to my computer via USB. I have the latest version of the BlackBerry Desktop software installed on my computer. I tried the connection on my laptop and my desktop (both with the latest software versions). I checked my USB wire to see if it was the problem, but my Bold connects just fine with the same USB wire. Could the problem be my Playbook USB port? I included a few pictures of my USB port on my Playbook. If you need better pictures I can try my best.

Thanks for any kind of help
    Jordan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	192849

Name:	Picture 5.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	192851

Name:	Picture 7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	192848
    08-16-13 02:32 AM
    I have no issues with windows 8 via USB to the playbook. Essentially windows 8 is windows 7 drivers. With the lipstick of the glorified Ui.

You only need one bad pin for the USB to quit working yet will still charge. The D+ and D- are fine which tells the pb it's in charger mode. Not coming out to detect USB leads me to believe you have a bad pin.
    08-16-13 02:34 AM
    I had similar problem Playbook was charging but no connecton with laptop Windows 7. Then I changed to another USB cable and then no problem.
    08-16-13 03:59 AM