Post #1 fixed my problem - took over 3 hours to find a thread that had a fix for me.
    I'll turn on bluetooth and wifi now to see if my playbook gets detected by the desktop software

Yep - connects just fine.

Please make this fix a sticky

ta
    12-28-11 08:53 AM
    massive help!! thanks all!!

nearly ended up out the window ... lol
    01-07-12 06:31 PM
    Your FireWall block you "RIM network driver"
    01-11-12 09:48 PM
    So frustrated by this... have tried all solutions, and none work for me on Win7-64. The Playbook shows up in device manager, shows up with all the appropriate connections, but I can't see it in Explorer, and the Desktop software doesn't find it even though I can see it's connected in the Device Manager.

I've got wireless working absolutely fine, so hopefully that will cover all my needs. What I'm worried about is if the new 2.0 will have any requirement for a USB connection for any reason...
    01-13-12 06:23 PM
    Here is the problem I found that fixed my issue:

If the BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet is not able to connect with BlackBerry� Desktop Software, it could be caused by the BlackBerry PlayBook Driver not being loaded correctly or disabled.

To check:

On a Windows� XP Service Pack 3 based computer:

Navigate to Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Network Adapters.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook should be listed as a Research In Motion Network Device.
    If it says disabled then simply Right Click and choose Enable.
    01-16-12 12:57 PM
    I just wanted to add something! I had some troubles getting my PB to connect...the answer? I had put it into development mode to sideload apps, and forgot to turn it off, after checking that under the Security tab, and turning it off, my USB connection and everything went off without a hitch!

Probably won't be most of your guys problem, but I thought I'd add it in there!

Good luck!
    02-27-12 03:21 PM
    The thing that worked for me was just to turn off wi-fi and bluetooth before plugging the PB into the PC on USB. Prior to that it just wouldn't play ball, but once wi-fi and bluetooth were switched off the drivers installed and it was recognised as a network drive and recognised by Desktop Manager with no problem...

Bill
    RohrohrohURboat and seaswho like this.
    03-04-12 01:01 PM
    Nothing has worked for me so far. I used the procedure listed below as "Resolution 7" and it worked once (a network device appeared, I mounted it and transferred files through USB). Then I reinstalled Blackberry Desktop Manager and since then I'm unable to make the RIM Network Device work. I tried everything, reinstalled many times, etc... nothing.

Just in case this may help someone: Blackberry Wizards • View topic - Blackberry Desktop Cannot Detect BB / Playbook
    04-30-12 01:00 AM
    I was told by support it was a known issue and an update would be out sometime soon

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    kaymre likes this.
    04-30-12 02:15 AM
    I just fixed it!!! I couldn't connect with USB or WIFI, and the actual problem was so small, yet strange in a way that I don't know how it got that way.

I have Win 7 and here's what I did (while playbook was connected to usb):
    - Control panel, system, device manager, network adapters, open the RIM one.
    Here's the thing, it was disabled. Don't know how or why, so I just enabled the device and everything came alive!!!! HEY PRESTO!!!

Hope the same thing works for someone else also.
    05-01-12 10:40 AM
    Nothing works for me. Win 7, 64 bit, all network protocols set, all PB options on, all virus disabled, firewalls etc. It all worked with V1 of PB but never has with V2.

There is no entry for RIM in the network adapters.

I do have an entry in Device Manager -> Other Devices -> RIM Network Device. It has a yellow exclamation. But when I try to update it says it can't find any drivers.
    It also shows at the top of the list as a BlackBerry Smartphone but that driver shows up to date.

I don't have mdismpx.sys on my system as another post suggested and have no idea where to get it.

The PB used to show up as a CD drive but when I accessed it Windows Explorer hung and that was it. After the last three or four updates it stopped appearing as a CD drive.

Pretty much stuck until the brain trust at RIM comes up with a solution.
    05-01-12 10:41 AM
    05-01-12 10:54 AM
    Nothing works for me. Win 7, 64 bit, all network protocols set, all PB options on, all virus disabled, firewalls etc. It all worked with V1 of PB but never has with V2.

There is no entry for RIM in the network adapters.

I do have an entry in Device Manager -> Other Devices -> RIM Network Device. It has a yellow exclamation. But when I try to update it says it can't find any drivers.
    It also shows at the top of the list as a BlackBerry Smartphone but that driver shows up to date.

I don't have mdismpx.sys on my system as another post suggested and have no idea where to get it.

The PB used to show up as a CD drive but when I accessed it Windows Explorer hung and that was it. After the last three or four updates it stopped appearing as a CD drive.

Pretty much stuck until the brain trust at RIM comes up with a solution.

Sounds to me like you need professional help. If the RIM driver isn't listed in your device manager list of network adaptors, then something is really wrong and your PB won't work right until that is fixed. I'm not sure how to fix that issue but I would first uninstall all RIM software from your pc then re-install what you need, (BlackBerry Desktop Software mainly, not sure if anything else is needed but I don't think so). Or call the 1-800 # but I think it is a paid service after 90 days unless you bought some extended support plan. Good luck. It is fixable.
    05-01-12 10:55 AM
    Thanks. Tried this one twice. Still no go. I'll try the full RIM removal and install again while drinking gin to see if that helps.
    05-01-12 03:05 PM
    Drinking the gin during the process is HIGHLY recommended. Whether the process works or not, it will have been a lot more pleasurable thanks to the imbibing of the gin.
    05-01-12 04:03 PM
    Well, I removed all Desktop Software and went through the registry to remove anything RIM like. Reboot, reinstall. Same thing.

One of RIMS help notes says to adjust the Research in Motion Network Driver. I do not have and have never seen such a thing in my network settings. Any idea how to get it?

This is from KB26904-"BlackBerry Desktop Software cannot communicate with the connected device" when attempting to connect the BlackBerry PlayBook with the BlackBerry Desktop Software
    05-02-12 03:51 PM
    I had this problem, but only had to do Step 4 in the OP to get my PB to show up.
    05-02-12 03:54 PM
    OK, I do have the RIM device with the yellow ! But that means update drivers. But it does not find any drivers and tells me to go to the manufacturers web site. RIM has no specific drivers and everything I read says that the drivers are downloaded by the Desktop Software that I have installed like a bunch of times. When I plug my PB in I get the device at the top showing up that says its a SmartPhone. That is what gets installed when I plug the PB in for the first time after removing everything.
    05-02-12 08:07 PM
    So, I thought maybe the SmartPhone driver is interfering. So I removed that and rebooted. Before plugging PB in again, I started Desktop Software thinking it would see it first and install the right drivers. No. Now I have two entries in Other Devices, both having the yellow ! neither of which will find the updated drivers on the RIM site. And the Desktop Software does not recognize the PB at all, not even enough to tell me the battery is dead or its not plugged in.

I am no Apple fanboy but it is pretty obvious why those guys are selling iPads like mad.
    05-02-12 08:39 PM
    Fix for this issue ... :
    go on the playbook in setting, storage and sharing
    then, DO NO SELECT USB CONNECTIONS CONNECT TO WINDOWS
    simply use automatically detect
    then uninstall blackberry device manager, reboot, reinstall it and tadam
    wish you good luck guys
    RohrohrohURboat likes this.
    05-02-12 09:37 PM
    after this you may want to go in the little blackberry device manager on the bottom right (taskbar), right click then properties, options and make sure mount tablet volume on connect and launch files explorer on volume connect is checked
    05-02-12 09:40 PM
    I appreciate all your help and ideas. Tried that. Now I don't get any unknown RIM device nor do I see a SmartPhone device. After a couple of reboots I do get a CD drive for the PlayBook. But I can't access it by Windows Explorer. It just hangs. And, of course, the Desktop Software does not recognize it at all. There is no Blackberry Device Manager in the tray. I'll try the cold start with Desktop running again. BTDT.
    05-03-12 11:22 AM
    And lastly, if I switch the PB back to Windows as opposed to Auto detect I get No driver found. I just don't see how those drivers are installed if the system can't find them. Doesn't matter if Desktop Software is running or not. I can't believe I am the only one with this problem.
    05-03-12 02:17 PM
    The only way I've found and seen in other posts is to go to the BB beta zone and download the desktop software 7.0 and the PB is then recognized by the computer. I had this happen on my home computer where none of our PBs were being recognized. I searched and found several posts that suggested the beta 7.0 desktop software and it worked.
    chiefscout2000 likes this.
    05-03-12 02:35 PM
    Well, hot damn V7 worked. They should get this thing released ASAP before people with less patience brick their devices.
    05-03-12 09:12 PM
116 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD