hmm, I need a real answer from RIM

Un-sat

i see the device saying its there, but i can't actually find those files
    same here...so effing frustrating
    04-24-11 10:21 AM
    I was on with them last night when i figured mine out.

-go to start>run and type msconfig
    -go to start up and disable all
    -go to services click hide all microsoft services, then disable all

when i did a restart mine got recognized just like that. as i said maybe there is a program i have that is interfering with the connection i don't know
    sounds like windows suicide...what does it do?
    04-25-11 03:37 AM
    If you browse to "my computer", it should show up as a "CD drive" and will say "CD" before you can see it as 'playbook' .

If you click the "CD" drive it should then start the driver install. After the install, it should say playbook bla bla...

I am running 2 w7 machines, both of which work fine with said drivers.
    didn't work.
    04-25-11 03:38 AM
    see original post for the fix!!!!!!!!
    well, i followed up to step 4 and didn't see anything about RIM, just my torch.
    04-25-11 03:39 AM
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Step 5 was what fixed it for me.
    On windows 7 Pro version the steps are a little different so here is what I did.
    -go to control panel>network and sharing center then on the left side you should have an option for "change adapter settings"- click on it
    You should then see your network connections, with any luck one will say "local area connection 2, unidentified network, Research In Motion Network device" right click on it
    and go to properties.
    then like step 5 above put a check on
    "client for Microsoft networks"
    "File and printer sharing for microsoft networks"
    "internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4)
    Hit ok, wait 2min and see if anything starts installing if it doesnt disconnect your playbook wait a few and then plug it back in. you should now see that its installing more stuff and adds a Z drive under my computer, network.

For those that dont have the "Research in motion network device" in device manager under network adapters. The drivers on my system show that they are located in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\mdismpx.sys and
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\usb8023x.sys

My data transfer from PC to playbook went from 142kb to 5-6mb
    The bold is the only important part.
    Network and sharing>change adapter settings>click on the one that was research in motion written somewhere>my laptop beeped, then my pb lit up(charging icon) Desktop Manager showed up asking for my password. Thank God!
    04-25-11 03:44 AM
    The bold is the only important part.
    Network and sharing>change adapter settings>click on the one that was research in motion written somewhere>my laptop beeped, then my pb lit up(charging icon) Desktop Manager showed up asking for my password. Thank God!
    except that hasn't worked for all of us!
    04-25-11 06:22 AM
    Don't have your Bold plugged in at the same time......
    04-26-11 12:17 PM
    I had the same issue, PB not showing up, or unrecognized device.
    I turned off Bridge and WiFi and it connected right away, no issues at all.
    04-26-11 01:06 PM
    Hello

after following steps 1 to 5 listed on post #55 it was not working....

I turned off wifi on the playbook and also enabled file sharing on the storage & sharing settings of the playbook .... and it connected right away.

I Hope it helps.
    Last edited by procellulaire; 04-26-11 at 09:58 PM.
    04-26-11 09:56 PM
    I have gotten everything setup correctly, I can add movies and pictures wirelessly, but for some reason music does not show up after I add it onto my pb. Movies and pictures do on the other hand.

Has anyone else successfully added an album or song wirelessly to their pb?
    04-26-11 10:02 PM
    I have been struggling with thise since I purchased the PB on the 19th until the previous post that mentioned "Client for Microsoft Networks". When I right-clicked, it was not there. I clicked install, then rebooted...and finally was able to transfer my files to my playbook with DM!. By the way, I have Windows 7, 64-bit.

I also must mention, you will not see "Research in Motion Network Device" if the PB is not connected via USB. Also, when the PB is connected via USB, the wireless connected dies.
    04-30-11 04:08 PM
    i have a mac and im having this same issue... can anyone help me? my PB isnt showing up when i plug my PB in...
    05-06-11 01:07 PM
    My PB was working from day one. then.......one night i was screwing around putting a hybrid on and got "delete" happy. turns out i no longer had an OS on my system and it also affected my DM. i un-installed both the OS and DM and re-installed. After that the PB was able to connect.
    05-15-11 11:29 AM
    So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 � Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.
    Step 2 � Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)
    Step 3 � Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows �Connected to Computer� on its display.
    Step 4 � Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.
    Step 5 � Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    worked great. now i can go to sleep...thanks.
    06-19-11 11:40 PM
    I followed all the steps outlined here and it finally worked when I turned off the wifi and bridge connection on the playbook and then rebooted it.

I looked into my firewall log and it was blocking the connection due to some rules that my admin had put in place.

Thank you everyone for all the tips and I hope that now we all understand why it was happening.

Chris
    07-16-11 11:48 AM
    easier way is just connect the playbook, with it connected go to device manager, under network adapters you should have a "Research In Motion Network Device" with a little arrow pointing down, right click and select enable, click ok and boom back and working.

If that doesnt work check this out
    KB26745
    07-16-11 02:51 PM
    So, here is my problem:

I have done the fix where I went into the Network Connections and enabled the checkboxes outlined in the fix that was posted. Rather, they were already checked. The PlayBook shows up in the Device Manager, but will not show up as a drive in My Computer when connected through USB. The PlayBook also tells me that it is connected to the computer and that I can move files onto it. Still... not showing up in My Computer. What now?

I should also mention I'm running Windows XP 64-bit, and it works fine on my XP 32 bit machine.
    Last edited by AgentEnforcer; 07-29-11 at 06:23 PM.
    07-29-11 05:48 PM
    I too have an issue.

Followed all the steps above and was so close but it just will not allow me to select Client for Microsoft networks, select it and when I OK I get an alarm that I am deselecting it.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client.

I have had the playbook for 2 weeks now and as of yet have been unable to copy a single file onto it which is causing me serious issues.

Has anyone any ideas ?
    08-01-11 02:47 AM
    While bashing around the issue, I found another angle. When I tried to turn on the RIM device driver, the playbook got identified, but very soon (after one or two second and before it was able to map itself) the device was automatically turned off.

The solution for me was to pull-out the LAN cable. I don't have internet when connected to playbook, but at least I was able to make a backup over USB.
    08-23-11 08:49 AM
    So, kind of an old thread - but as I just solved this issue for mysef, I figured I would post my fix:

Desktop Manager installed just fine, and I could see the RIM NIC in Device Manager - but in the systray, the device would never obtain an IP.

I had to go into Service Manager (Start - Run - Services.msc) and manually start DHCP Client. As soon as I did that, the device pulled an IP and Desktop Manager immediatel saw the PB.

Note that I disable as many services as possible on all of my machines, including DHCP - as I use static LAN addresses, or static DHCP addresses for all of my LAN network elements.
    10-13-11 04:36 PM
    Follow the steps:

1.Control Panel
    2.Network Connections
    3.Right click on Local Area Connection/Research In Motion
    4.Properties
    5.In the window named "This connection uses the following items" look for "Client For Microsoft"
    6.It's probably not there, so click on "Install"
    7.Highlight "Client" and "Add"
    8.Find "Client For Microsoft Networks" and click OK
    9.Wait few seconds.
    10. In My Computer you should find PLAYBOOK folder!!!

Worked for me!!!
    10-19-11 05:12 PM
    I had been wrestling with the USB connectivity with BlackBerry Desktop since it was released. I could generally connect with the "unbrick" process (even when it wasn't bricked) but this process would erase all data & media from the Playbook. Restoring consumes hours. However, I was almost always frustrated when attempting a simple media sync.

Recently, while at work, I was able to connect and sync without issue. Surprised, I discovered that I could consistently plug and unplug with the desired connection behavior with BB Desktop.

The difference, the only difference, is that at work my notebook is docked while at home it is powered by a Dell AC power adapter. The adapter powering the docking station is 130W, the home power brick is 90W. Plugging a 130W power adapter into the notebook at home resulted in the same positive and consistent results as work.

I believe that the power/current delivered to the USB ports of my notebook directly affects the connectivity with the Playbook over USB. For the record, file sharing via WiFi has never been a problem, regardless of where the notebook was powered, or if running via battery. But, if I need the BB Desktop synch capability, I must ensure full power to the USB ports.
    arhcangel likes this.
    10-22-11 12:32 PM
    thanks guys - I just spent an hour trying to figure this out. Playbook previously worked flawlessly with Windows XP Pro work laptop. Tried connecting it to my Windows 7 Home desktop and I (1) couldn't see the drive in windows explorer and (2) desktop manager didn't recognize any connection.

Good lord what a pain in the ***.
    11-29-11 12:46 AM
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Step 5 was what fixed it for me.
    On windows 7 Pro version the steps are a little different so here is what I did.
    -go to control panel>network and sharing center then on the left side you should have an option for "change adapter settings"- click on it
    You should then see your network connections, with any luck one will say "local area connection 2, unidentified network, Research In Motion Network device" right click on it and go to properties.
    then like step 5 above put a check on
    "client for Microsoft networks"
    "File and printer sharing for microsoft networks"
    "internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4)
    Hit ok, wait 2min and see if anything starts installing if it doesnt disconnect your playbook wait a few and then plug it back in. you should now see that its installing more stuff and adds a Z drive under my computer, network.

For those that dont have the "Research in motion network device" in device manager under network adapters. The drivers on my system show that they are located in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\mdismpx.sys and
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\usb8023x.sys

My data transfer from PC to playbook went from 142kb to 5-6mb
    I had one heck of a day with this same problem, thankfully to you all I got it working.

I use windows 7 and all is now perfecto.

Follow the instructions from zebek to a "T" - I also rebooted when instructed, and ensured all my windows updates were completed. I also disabled my antivirus. I then ran Desktop Software with my PB still unplugged at this point.

On my Playbook I turned off wifi, turned off bridge - and enabled file sharing on the storage and sharing settings of the playbook. I rebooted it and then plugged it into my computer.

Allow the connect screen to remain on the PB (do not dismiss), and a few seconds later I noticed the drivers updating themselves on my PC, and drive Z appeared.

I did a double check at step 5 and didnt have to enable anything, as my computer settings already selected what was indicated, but this step is important - make sure those boxes are checked.

This should help some windows 7 users!
    12-20-11 11:07 PM
    This is driving me crazy. I've re-installed the drivers and managers, rebooted, the rim network driver is installed with client, fs & tcp support but the DM will not recognize the device unless I am in development mode. It seems to me that the issue is it not getting the internal address 169.254.x.x setup. I've also verified that my dhcp client service on my windows 7 machine is running. if i dump the ipconfig settings in development mode, i see that the device is assigned 169.254.0.2 and mask 254.254.252.0 and dhcp service @ 169.254.0.1 but haven't been able to manually configure the driver with these settings either... doesn't the fact that the darn thing has no problem connecting indicate that the driver on the win7 machine is setup properly? or does it mean that some part of the driver didn't install that handles this assignment (no error on driver install)? any way to manually perform the same via the driver properties?

Oh, yes I've also checked and no firewall rules affecting connection (even tried with firewall turned off).
    Last edited by jmanng; 12-21-11 at 01:02 PM. Reason: rambling on
    12-21-11 12:51 PM
116 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD