Works great for me on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit. At first I hit dismiss on the PB screen and that seemed to mess things up. With DM still open I simply unplugged, counted to 5, and plugged back in. DM then recognized it and everything took off as expected.

Something to note, I never plugged in the PB until I had the new DM installed, not sure if Windows is hanging on to a previous driver or something..
    04-20-11 11:08 PM
    I have a fix guys, I will be posting shortly.....
    waiting for u
    04-20-11 11:13 PM
    I found out that if I go to msconfig and disabled all my services except the windows services i was able to connect to my pb.
    (windows xp)

my torch connects so the pb should also be able to, but i'm guessing maybe i have a program preventing a connection???
    04-21-11 04:48 AM
    im gonna continue my call with tech support from yesterday. i got transferred to the 3rd level of support (analyst) but i had to start class. i was told to call back with my ticket number and i could pickup where i left off.

I'll post a solution if they give me one (doubtful...)
    04-21-11 09:06 AM
    im gonna continue my call with tech support from yesterday. i got transferred to the 3rd level of support (analyst) but i had to start class. i was told to call back with my ticket number and i could pickup where i left off.

I'll post a solution if they give me one (doubtful...)
    I was on with them last night when i figured mine out.

-go to start>run and type msconfig
    -go to start up and disable all
    -go to services click hide all microsoft services, then disable all

when i did a restart mine got recognized just like that. as i said maybe there is a program i have that is interfering with the connection i don't know
    04-21-11 09:15 AM
    i have the same problem. im on win 7 premium 64 and the only way to see the drive or connect it to DM is to plug the pb and then restart it. after that, no problem.....im lucky the pb doesnt take that much time to reboot....
    04-21-11 09:38 AM
    update: playbook isnt meant to sync with desktop manager for music, pictures, and videos. it is only supposed to connect for backup and potential updates (although OTA update is preferred). media is meant to be synced through the usb connection found under network or via wifi filesharing. that is what the rim analyst just told me. anyone confirm syncing music through desktop manager?
    04-21-11 09:41 AM
    i have the same problem. im on win 7 premium 64 and the only way to see the drive or connect it to DM is to plug the pb and then restart it. after that, no problem.....im lucky the pb doesnt take that much time to reboot....
    after what i did, i was able to sync music and pics
    04-21-11 09:44 AM
    mine just sits there and says unknown device....this is really frustrating.....

If you browse to "my computer", it should show up as a "CD drive" and will say "CD" before you can see it as 'playbook' .

If you click the "CD" drive it should then start the driver install. After the install, it should say playbook bla bla...

I am running 2 w7 machines, both of which work fine with said drivers.
    Last edited by molson0; 04-21-11 at 09:52 AM.
    04-21-11 09:48 AM
    hmmm... odd.

i dont even want to sync music and pics through dm, i just found it weird that she said that when im almost positive ive heard people doing it that way from this forum.

the analyst is going to call me back, she wants to find out where my drivers are installed for the pb so i can get rid of them and start fresh.

gonna try the msconfig thing now. already tried restarting with the pb while connected to the computer, and restarting the computer while leaving the playbook connected
    04-21-11 09:49 AM
    If you browse to "my computer", it should show up as a CD drive before you can see it as 'playbook' .

If you click the "CD" drive it should then start the driver install.

I am running 2 w7 machines, both of which work fine with said drivers.
    no cd drive under my computer that says playbook. i do have an extra cd drive that is showing up, but when i click on it it says to insert a disk.

the drivers attempted to install on their own initially but failed as it said the device was unplugged even though it wasnt
    04-21-11 09:52 AM
    see original post for the fix!!!!!!!!
    04-21-11 09:56 AM
    So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 � Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.
    Step 2 � Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)
    Step 3 � Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows �Connected to Computer� on its display.
    Step 4 � Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.
    Step 5 � Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    Works perfectly...thanks!
    3hb78ftg likes this.
    04-22-11 01:41 AM
    where were u before i formatted my computer!! hahaha

i actually did a fresh install of windows! i was having other issues with different software such as autocad after upgrading to service pack 1 and i always back EVERYTHING up, so its not that big of a deal for me. My college provides me with free microsoft software while im a student so i upgraded from windows 7 pro to windows 7 ultimate and started from a 100% clean slate.

anyways, the good news? i was able to connect to the playbook via usb, as well as mapping the ip address as drive Z: enabling wifi file sharing.

why did i have to do this? all i know is it wasnt the playbooks fault. the device rocks!
    04-22-11 02:35 AM
    i have to know how you figured out this fix? was it tech support? can it be? lol
    04-22-11 02:39 AM
    I'm still having problems after following the steps in the first post. Should I have IPV4 internet access (see attachment)? Weird that it's still not working....starting to get really annoying.
    04-22-11 08:42 AM
    Why the he double toothpicks would it need to be a network drive??? Doesn't work with windows 7?????????????? Come on RIM what is up with that????

It can't just be used as any sd, usb drive????????????
    04-22-11 09:41 AM
    it works fine with my W7 machine. I have W7 64 bit home edition. And yes, I ran all my windows updates and all my BB/PB updates before I connected the PB to my laptop. And like I posted earlier, the W7 drivers for the PB loaded automatically and then the PB appeared as network drive "z".

BTW, on my laptop device manager, under network adaptors, there is no RIM network adapter, which is described under step 4 of the process shown above in the earlier posts.
    04-22-11 10:16 AM
    It certainly was not tech support. Like 2 full days of troubleshooting is what it took

It's because the Playbook is classed as a RIM network device. Literally having device manager open and plugging in and unplugging to watch as devices showed themselves is how I got it......
    watermon12 likes this.
    04-22-11 08:11 PM
    I followed your steps and that's when I discovered that I do not have the RIM Network device driver installed under Network adapters. I have tried all the uninstalling and installing procedures. Is there a download for this driver? Presuming that this is the problem.
    04-23-11 08:43 AM
    having tried absolutely everything on my work pc I have our IT person coming in monday....i will post the fix then as i know she will be able to figure it out

just glad it works on my home pc no problem
    04-23-11 09:04 AM
    I followed your steps and that's when I discovered that I do not have the RIM Network device driver installed under Network adapters. I have tried all the uninstalling and installing procedures. Is there a download for this driver? Presuming that this is the problem.
    i have that device driver. still doesnt work. i want to delete it but not without being able to dl it.
    04-23-11 12:43 PM
    I was able to get the RIM Network driver to install however, there is still an error showing and windows is reporting that the driver cannot start. I added the driver manually.
    04-23-11 03:22 PM
    So my Playbook will not show up as either a Network drive, or in Desktop manager. I have 6.0.2.42 of Desktop manager and have reinstalled many times...if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.....tried multiple USB cables......it makes the USB noise when plugged in, but doesn't seem to show up.....

So here is the fix.....................apparantly some computers have issues with network adapters.....

If you are receiving the Unknown Device in Blackberry Desktop Software, and are unable to get your Blackberry Playbook to show up, here are some troubleshooting steps to fix the issue.
    Step 1 � Ensure that your system is running the most current Blackberry Desktop Software. To ensure that you have the most current version, download and install it from this address.
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada
    By downloading and installing the most current Desktop Software you are ensuring that the correct drivers are actually already installed on your system.
    Step 2 � Reboot your computer. (This step may not be required, but just to be safe)
    Step 3 � Launch the Blackberry Desktop Software. Plug the USB cable that came with your Playbook into a USB port on your PC. Ensure that the volume is turned on. Ensure that your Blackberry Playbook is charged and powered on. Connect your Playbook to the computer using the micro USB end of the cable you connected to your computer earlier. Listen to hear the USB connected sound on your computer, and ensure that your playbook shows �Connected to Computer� on its display.
    Step 4 � Right-click on My Computer, and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab. Then click on Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters list by clicking on the +. Ensure that you have a Network adapter called Research In Motion Network Device in the list. You can now close Device Manager.
    Step 5 � Click on the Start menu and open the Control Panel. Double Click on Network Connections. Under the LAN or High-Speed Internet section, you should see a Local Area Connection beside the Research In Motion Network Device, right-click on this Local Area Connection and click on Properties. Click on the General Tab and put check marks beside Client for Microsoft Networks, File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Click on OK and close Network Connections. Blackberry Desktop Software should now recognize the Blackberry Playbook and you should receive a pop up showing that Blackberry Device Manager is initializing storage volume access. You can now use Desktop Software to synchronize your Playbook and media, and open the Playbook as a Mass Storage device under a Mapped Network Drive.
    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Step 5 was what fixed it for me.
    On windows 7 Pro version the steps are a little different so here is what I did.
    -go to control panel>network and sharing center then on the left side you should have an option for "change adapter settings"- click on it
    You should then see your network connections, with any luck one will say "local area connection 2, unidentified network, Research In Motion Network device" right click on it and go to properties.
    then like step 5 above put a check on
    "client for Microsoft networks"
    "File and printer sharing for microsoft networks"
    "internet protocol Version 4 (tcp/ipv4)
    Hit ok, wait 2min and see if anything starts installing if it doesnt disconnect your playbook wait a few and then plug it back in. you should now see that its installing more stuff and adds a Z drive under my computer, network.

For those that dont have the "Research in motion network device" in device manager under network adapters. The drivers on my system show that they are located in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\mdismpx.sys and
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\usb8023x.sys

My data transfer from PC to playbook went from 142kb to 5-6mb
    ddotwu and Zsuzsa_sz like this.
    04-23-11 09:23 PM
    hmm, I need a real answer from RIM

Un-sat

For those that dont have the "Research in motion network device" in device manager under network adapters. The drivers on my system show that they are located in C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\mdismpx.sys and
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\usb8023x.sys
    i see the device saying its there, but i can't actually find those files
    Last edited by avaio; 04-24-11 at 07:45 AM.
    04-24-11 07:37 AM
116 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD